“Another wonderful holiday”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Another wonderful holiday”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

3rd visit to Excellence Riviera Cancun in March 2013 and enjoyed our visit just as much as the 1st ! We just go to chill out and eat and drink but there lots of activities to enjoy if you wish, just never seem to gather the energy to join in.
Rooms are very good and well stocked with drinks and snacks and the ambience of the place is good, enhanced by the ever helpful and pleasant staff. Mariana (guest services ) was always very kind and seemed genuinely interested in our visit ( Don't go back to Monteray !! ).
Mariana who was working Kafe Kafe is really lovely,as were Erica ,Leydi and Raquel. Sure all the others were equally good but these were the ones we had most contact with. Ana, who was around the Lazy River/Spa was so hard working and even kept appearing (with smiles and humour !) on a very rainy morning.
All the waiters in Barcelona were very attentive and kind and Gabrielle and other hosts always made sure that my husband didn't have far to walk for his food.No complaints about anyone but Jean Luc and the waiters at the Basmati (we had to pass every night on our way out) were really charming and friendly.
Food is generally very good, there might have been an odd occasion when it wasn't perfect but this can happen in any restaurant back home.
Any problems we had were sorted out almost immediately and service in general was pretty good.
Only improvement we think could be made is having "proper" coffee machines for espresso etc instead of the push button ones they seem to have, but that won't stop us looking forward to our next visit !!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anne S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,703)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just got back from a week at this wonderful all-inclusive resort with my husband of many years. He made the plans and I crossed my fingers. As we drove up the the hotel( around nine miles from the airport)through the wrought iron gates I couldn't tell what to expect. The entrance is long and lovely but a bit austere. Then you go thru the large wooden double doors and you enter...paradise. The champagne is delicious and cold and the floors are of beautiful marble tall ceilings beautiful woodwork and wrought iron on the elaborate but tasteful double staircaseThe glass elevator down faces out to a very enticing bar where the staff is jubulent and friendly and the liquor is first class.
There are no reservations required at the many restaurants- we liked Chez Isabelle, the french one, the best. The house wines are good and the wine list s-types and prices- are comparable to
any in the States. The beach is gorgeous, there are hobies to sail, snorkling excursions and pool tables and ping pong. Karaeoke and volleyball... just everything. Even a library if you don't have your own reading materials.The staff cannot do enough for you. The rooms are spotless and lovely. The nitely entertainment was an unexpected plus. Really top quality all around. Just be ready for a very firm mattress. I brought my own pillow and once I told the staff I needed more cushion, they were quick to add layers to my bed. It was VERY helpful. Everyone made us feel pampered and I cannot say enough about the great experience and the fabulous staff. Trust me and GO. you will be absolutely thrilled that you did.

Room Tip: we were up high with a beach vista. Fabulous and quiet.
3 Thank TheMonaLisa55
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent 6 days (honeymoon) at the Excellence at the end of April, and I am already looking forward to our next stay here! They placed a "honeymoon" banner on our door, which was super sweet and the daily newspaper welcomed "Honeymooners: Mr and Mrs Xyz" which made us feel kind of special!
We had a swim up room at the lazy river surrounding the spa. They had floats that you could just float the river (with the soothing spa sounds) which was very relaxing, and our patio chairs had shade in the afternoon.
Our room was great (bed was a little hard - asked for a padding, all better!) with service twice a day - and an AWESOME mini bar - which was not really "mini" at all!!! (full liter bottles- lots of beers and sodas AND CHOCOLATE :) )
The beach had soft powder white sand that was a joy to walk on and they have thatch umbrellas so you can sit on the beach - in the shade. People DO reserve these - even though they ask that you not do that. I am pretty bold so I would watch for activity and if there was noone around for an hour I would tell the beach attendant that noone had been there for a long time and they would take their things up and allow me to have the spot.
There were so many restaurant options that we didn't even get to them all. Each was was very very good and we highly reccomend Basmati (Indian food/ which we had never tried before!)- we ate there twice even though it meant not trying out some of the other options! Breakfast and lunch buffets were always available and anyone complaining about the food - just likes to complain!
Entertainment every evening - from dance lessons earlier in the evening to a Magic/Comedy show (that we loved) later in the evening, and a schedule of what those shows will be is delivered to your room daily in the form of "The Times".
Overall - we had NO complaints and give this place 4 thumbs up (there are 2 of us!)
***I would note - this is not so much a "party place". We are a little older (mid to early 40"s) and were happy that there was not a very young population while we were there. There are plenty of bars, and there is a huge selection of quality alcohol - and they don't skimp - but the crowd was not loud, and I never saw anyone being rowdy. For the two of us - on our honeymoon - that was PERFECT. But if you are looking for a rowdy crowd, and crazy nightlife, or to pick up singles...this is probably not your place.

Room Tip: The Lazy River around the Spa has no alcohol bar - you can bring alcohol, but it is not convenient
2 Thank Des M
New York
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I dont get what all these excellent reviews are about. I've been to other resorts and I know what to compare to. I booked this hotel based on these reviews, and let me tell you what a big mistake it was. I'm still in this hotel now and I'm going to describe my experience of the first day.
Arrival:
We arrived at this hotel early at 11:30AM. We were told that check-in time is at 3 PM. I've been to other resorts and even if check-in time was 3 PM they would prepare our room a bit earlier anywhere between 1-2PM. In this hotel they would make you wait until 3PM on the dot not a second earlier. Then when they finally called us, the bellhop took our luggage piled them up along with other 3 family's luggage and made us walk around together with them. We had to stop at every room before we finally arrived at ours. Other hotels have individual bellhop for individual guests (one bellhop per visiting party).
Rooms:
The room have musty smell. It smells like chlorine and mildew. The king bed has plastic mattress pad underneath of the sheet. I dont think that luxury hotel is supposed to have it.
It's not so comfortable to sleep on,
Restaurants:
THIS IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. All these people write excellent reviews how nice not to have reservations that you can come and eat at any time. Let me tell you, I would rather have reservations then this mass that they have. The restaurants open at 5:30PM, if you dont get there by this time, you would be on the waiting list from 30 minutes to 1 hour. They would give you a pager for that. Sometimes you would have to wait on line just to get a pager. When we saw one of the restaurants with a few empty tables, we asked how come we can't sit at them. The girl at the front answered that we dont have enough chefs and they cant catch up with amount of orders. This is absurd. Most of the food that we tried was salty. I dont believe they have a 5 star quality food.
Property:
The property itself is not as big as the others I've been to. If you are not a member of Excellence Club you cannot access certain facilities which makes this property even smaller.
Theater:
The seats in the theater are limited. If you want to watch a show at night, you must come way in advance to grab a seat. I dont think a luxury hotel should have this. I could expect this in the 3 star hotel.
Bottom line, I DON'T FEEL THE LUXURY IN THIS LUXURY HOTEL.

6 Thank li7775
Bridgeview, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I spent way too much time reading reviews and looking at all the sites. Ended up booking Excellence and it was 100% the right choice. Best 10 days of our lives.

I am normally too lazy to write reviews (good or bad). However, the trip was perfect.

The resort is not far from the airport. We booked a private transfer from the airport (About $75), which was another great decision. It was about a 25 minute drive. We were greeted at the door with a cart for our luggage and then escorted to the Excellence Club private check in. We arrived early in the morning and received a pager till our Rooftop Terrace Excellence Club Room was available. We had access to the whole resort while we waited. We got some lunch and a beverage while we waited. It did not take that long either.

It is a smaller / large resort. It is large enough to have everything you need, without a mass exodus of people to the beach or restaurants.

The beach was very clean and a gorgeous white sand. There was some seaweed, but nothing obnoxious. The huts, chairs and beds on the beach made for some excellent relaxation.

We were very impressed with the food choices. The lunch / breakfast buffet was huge! So many choices and everything tasted great. Very impressed with most of the restaurants for dinner. We did not make it to the French restaurant. The Italian restaurant was the one we liked the least. It was not bad, just nothing special to make us go back. Really enjoyed the Grill and Lobster house.

They have great selection of booze and beer available. The Excellence Club bar and private area had top shelf (aka Grey Goose, Belvidere, etc). The whole resort was still stocked with name brands when you asked for them (Don Julio, Jack Daniels, Appleton, Absolut, etc). The drinks were made very well. Their drink menu has a great selection and we loved everything we tried. Really enjoyed the Appleton Caipirinha's.

The staff/service was outstanding! Moises at the Excellence Club bar was great and so was Jessica. Everyone and I mean everyone was friendly. From the the front desk to the landscapers. All employees greeted you with a genuine smile and a hello. Every meal we had great service from our waitress/waiter.

The room was very clean and neat. The bed was very comfortable, slept great! The nightly turn down service was awesome! They cleaned up the room a bit again and was a nice extra touch with the lighting and petite fours. I believe that was part of the Excellence club as well.

We booked 2 excursions through the hotel. We booked the private tour to Tulum. A little pricy but the private part was worth it. We were picked up in a new Explorer with our driver. It was about 75 min drive there. Then we spent 45 mins with our own private tour guide there followed by 1 hour of free time. Talk to your driver for cool ideas. Then we booked the trip to Isla Mujeres on a Catamaran. This was awesome!!!!!! A bus picked up about 10 of us from the resort and took us to their other resort and we were picked up with about 60-80 people on this Catamaran to the Island. It was about a 45-60 min boat ride followed up by 3 hours or so on the island. Gorgeous Island, and recommend stopping at the turtle farm. Definitely get the golf cart so you see the whole Island. We had lunch at the restaurant all the way on the South side of the Island. Very good lunch. We had their special, a huge spread of food: great sized lobster tail, potato, guac, veggies, and whatever you wanted he said for $23 USD, and to top it off he through in a free cerveza. LOL sign me up please.

This was our first all inclusive and I think we were now have a problem. We spoiled ourselves and will compare everything to here.

Room Tip: Excellence Club Rooms are worth the extra money: private check in, bar, and beach area. All rooms h...
8 Thank Chris_C1016
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned from our 2 week stay, it was amazing. The management deserve to be commended on the cleanliness, and organisation of the hotel. The staff training programme at this hotel certainly works, All the staff were courteous, helpful and cheerful.
The hotel caters for all age groups, We are a mature couple and asked for a quiet room, we were allocated a swim up suite opposite the spa and it was perfect, so peaceful and relaxing.I definitely recommend having a swim up suite it certainly added to our holiday.
The food is exceptional, we enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the buffet there is so much choice, our favourite restaurants in the evening were the grill, the Asian, the French and the Mexican.
The grounds are pristine and the gardeners work so hard.
I would like to thank Alfonso for the great tennis lessons, even though at times I was exhausted.Thank you RIGOBERTO for excellent efficienct service in the restaurant, A big thanks to Raul for drinks service on the beach, working so hard in the heat and a special thanks to our maid for keeping our room immaculate.
The beach is beautiful . lovely sand, there was a continual breeze which helped with the temperature. the sea was lovely like stepping into a warm bath, it wasnt calm for snorkelling (for anyone interested )but good for swimming.
I would certainly return to this hotel they appear to have thought about everything,
Thank you all for a wonderful holiday.
EXCELLENTE!! PERFECTO !!

4 Thank cattmattmark
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We took a short trip to the Riviera Maya in March and had a wonderful time at the Excellence Riviera Cancun! From the moment we arrived, we felt pampered and well taken care of by the friendly, accommodating staff. We started our vacation at the Martini Bar, which may or may not have been a good idea! Our waiter, Cruz, did a great job of keeping us hydrated all week long! Dinner each night was very good. Our favorite was Chez Isabelle~we dined there twice. Least favorite would probably be The Lobster House. Breakfast buffet daily was extensive and we enjoyed it very much. Our room was quite nice. My only complaint is that we were given a room with two double beds. It seems reasonable that a couple would want one king sized, but that option was not given on their booking page and we ended up with two beds. Honestly, not a huge deal in the giant scheme of things, and I didn't even attempt to get us moved to another room because I was ready to get on the beach! There should be some way to request a king sized bed, though. And that was my only complaint! The property is gorgeous! The mini bar in our room was stocked daily, not that we could have possibly finished off the large amounts of alcohol, beverages and snacks that were available!! Room service was quick and efficient. The pool area was lovely. We never had a problem with "chair savers." Jessica at the Excellence Club pool bar was always around when our drinks were getting low! All in all, a beautiful getaway from reality! We would definitely visit this resort again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!