“Beautiful layout”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
canada
“Beautiful layout”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We both thought that the lay-out of this resort was better than any in which we have visited and also very pretty. The only down fall was the beach, ( very hard packed sand, choppy murky water and extremely windy conditions 11 of the 14 days we were there ). After being on the beach at the Punta Cana Princess resort the Excellence's beach was quite a notch down. The pools certainly made up for this, the best of any resort we have visited. Our favorite restaurant was spice. The Philly Maki sushi was excellent, get double order if hungry ( 12 ). The duck dish was tender and delicious with double order of veggies. And the tempura ice-cream was delish. The French was next. Loved the double order of venison and veggies on wild rice after the mushroom goat cheese crepes for starters and the dessert was to die for, ( goat cheese exotic fruit crepes with vanilla ice-cream. Rounding out our top three was the grill, ( double order of baby back ribs ). We didn't care for the Indian restaurant, ( nice tender lamb with wild rice, but many of their dishes are accented with too heavy of a soupy gravy mix, and for heaven's sake, put some air-conditioning in their, it's stifling hot! We loved the quiet pool behind building 6. As others had mentioned, they are way under staffed, especially at the Kafa bar. One bar-tender filling orders for 2 waitresses and people standing around. I got 4 drinks at a time and put them in my mini cooler. In short, very nice resort but much too windy for us, so back to Punta Cana next time for less wind and a much nicer beach!

1 Thank wessiewoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,746)
  • Korean first
Ontario
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Rooms were beautiful, the resort was decent but lacking flowers and gardens like you would typically find in Mexican resorts. The food was good. The major issue was the drink quality, service and lack of entertainment. The drinks were made of poor quality mixes, full of sugar and absolutely no fresh fruit. The margaritas were awful, which was a big dissapointment considering we were in mexico. You could request top shelf but the mixes ruined their drinks. Certainly the hotel isnt saving $ using cheap mixes when half of the drink is being tossed out.
The service was lacking. Usually only one or 2 bartenders on each each bar, strange considering the $ they make and the cost of the resort.
Typically they had an evening show, our group missed it every night because our dinner service was so slow and the entertainment ended early.
All bars and discos close at one which is dissapointing if you want to stay up one night of vacation. We ended up hearing wedding groups partying in their rooms due to the bars closing early.
The pools are nice and large.
The beach is decent but their was a lot of seaweed on the beach which should be cleansed more frequently.
Overall I think this resort was a poor indication of a 5* but could be rated 4*

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank chloes12
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This resort is 5 star all the way. I was there to attend a wedding. It was wonderful. You never feel crowded, no dinner reservations required at the al carte restaurants. Beach is beautiful. I was very disappointed in the cocktails, my friends and I enjoy a good marguerita, you won't find one here. The staff was wonderful, but I felt they are very over worked and under staffed. I don't want my waiter running from table to table, I feel bad for them. We also found out that any tips given to a staff member must be pooled and then divided among all staff including supervisors. If you want to tip your maid with gifts, those gifts will be taken away unless you write a letter stating the gift is for a specific person and you want that person to take it home. I understand the resort is eliminating theft and I appreciate that. I would have liked to know up front as my friend and I always brings gifts for our maids. Overall is highly recommend this resort, go into town for a good Mexican drink

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nancy1957
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Travelled with my wife last year. fantastic trip. The first guest we met as we were given a tour to our room said 'welcome to paradise'. Never had a better start to a holiday. Dropped off our luggage & it started raining. Headed to the martini bar, as did many others. A few of martini's later we have met many great people. Next morning after a session in the gym I won the daily poker tournament (well split the pot with a lady from Chicago).
Holiday continued in this fashion, although my luck at poker changed. I can easily see why this hotel is voted number 1 in the area on tripadvisor. Thompsons no longer have this hotel, which meant a change of uk airport, so shortly we are going to the sensatori. I hope it is as good.
All the restaurants were good. Favourites were the French & Asian. Get a group together & have the show cooking in the Asian.
Have a swim round the lazy river & stop off at the smoothie bar.
We went on a couple of trips. I love history so went to Chitzen Itza. This trip took all day. They kept changing buses. I felt we had been abducted it took that long. This year I will research the times before booking.
It's great that the canoes etc are included in the price.

Room Tip: Stayed on second floor. No problems with the room. Noticed that the swim-up rooms have a lawn in f...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank niceguyeddie29
West hartford, CT
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Back again to the Excellence, love it so much. The pools and the gorgeous beach are wonderful. Some cons (but not terrible), the resort requests that people don't reserve lounges (but we all still do) and the pool floats. I got into a disagreement with a vey disagreeable "lady" she was no lady who told me that they "were her pool floats". I told that they belong to everyone at the resort and can't she read? The french restaurant and lobster house are definitely not worth the long wait time however, there aren't too many choices, that's why we would love to see Barcelona (the breakfast & lunch buffet) available in the evenings too. Loved Spice restaurant (oriental), Mexican is ok, don't like Oregano (pizza) and the Italian restaurant is good. The entertainers are great! The waitstaff in Barcelona are awesome!

Room Tip: We arrived early before checkin, not our fault, fault the airways, so we had to wait from 12:30 PM t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank teach2544
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I recently traveled to the Excellence Riviera Cancun resort for our honeymoon (April 1-April 8) and had the most amazing time. This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort and we had a great overall experience while staying here. The service was great...as others have stated you are served a glass of champagne upon arrival along with a wet towel to cool off. The staff is very friendly upon arrival (as well as throughout our stay) and our bellhop pointed out all the restaurant and bar locations on the way to our room. We stayed in the back area of the resort by the spa (Building 4) and had a room on the top floor which provided great views over the lazy river and the rest of the resort grounds.
Our room was great – the mini bar was always stocked and we really enjoyed the separate tub and shower. We slept great every night and had no complaints about the room. The maid service did a great job with our rooms and came back for turndown service later in the evening. While we didn’t spend too much time in the room, it is still nice to enjoy while relaxing after a long day in the sun or getting ready for the evening.
For breakfast we stuck to the Lobster House (served menu) and Barcelona (buffet with endless choices). Both were excellent and the buffet even has a make your own Bloody Mary station, perfect for getting the day started right. The lounge chairs at the main pool do fill up fast so the sooner you get there, the better. Not to worry as there are plenty of pools on site with lounge chairs available. My wife and I went back and forth between the main pool and the other pools – a change of scenery is always nice and we met a lot of nice couples while checking out different spots. There are also two hot tubs located at the back of the resort near the spa which are nice to relax in.
If we weren’t lounging by the pool, we were on the beach where there is plenty of available seating. The shaded lounges fill up quickly but we wanted to be in the sun anyways – we were always able to get a few lounge chairs at any point during the day. It was also very nice that they had servers on the sand taking drink as well as food orders which eliminated getting up at all.
We typically started our night at the Martini Bar followed by dinner and some form of live entertainment afterwards. A lot of people gather at the Martini Bar in the main lobby so it’s a great starting point for the evening – we struck up a lot of conversations with different people as everyone here was very friendly. We ate at most of the restaurants here – the only ones we did not eat ate were the French and Indian restaurants which we heard were both very good, we just never made it there. The food was very good, better than we had expected actually. While some meals were better than others, we never actually had a bad meal here. We really enjoyed the Mexican restaurant Agave as our waiter Ricardo was on point and very helpful. We saw him throughout our stay and he told us to come back one last time before we left. He immediately came up to us when we arrived at the front of the restaurant and told us to wait as he prepared our table. He had gone to the extra trouble to set up a romantic table in the back with roses and all. He also prepared us table-side margaritas which were some of the best that we have ever tasted, if not THE best. He made our dining experience incredibly wonderful.
All in all, this was a 5 star experience at the Excellence Riviera Cancun and we will most definitely be coming back for an anniversary or relaxing getaway in the near future.

Room Tip: A room on the top story gives great views or the resort.
8 Thank MichaelB186
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I returned last night from an 8-night stay at this resort to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We'd read many reviews that raved about the food (among other things) and so, being foodies ourselves, we booked, but were ultimately and sadly disappointed.

If you are a foodie (and you know if you are), be warned: This is not fine dining, even though they advertise it as such on their website. Many of the dishes we had at Chez Isabelle and Toscana were poor to average, I hate to say. At Toscana, my wife ordered a seafood dish that included scallops and shrimp, and the scallops smelled fishy and were clearly from a can. The shrimp were also very overcooked. We also noticed heat lamps at many of the restaurants, which is always a bad sign. The food at the buffets was good, though, as were the pizzas at Oregano, which were a pleasant highlight of the trip.

The glowing exception, as many other reviewers have mentioned, was Basmati. All of the food was delicious, authentic, and fun. We went three nights and our waiter each time was Oscar, who quickly became our favorite employee of the entire resort. He made each visit special and established a great rapport with all the diners. If you go here, you'll see people have their picture taken with him and even kiss him goodbye! Basmati seems to know they're by far the best at the resort, too. After our first visit, they said, "See you tomorrow, right?" They were also the only place that enforced or even acknowledged the "dress code," which I appreciated. I had seen people go into other restaurants for dinner wearing shorts and sandals, so I did the same and no one else cared, but when I tried this at Basmati, they asked me to change, and I gladly obliged.

The Martini Bar is beautiful and has a fun atmosphere at night. We met some nice folks from across the country here. Overall the drinks were good but, again, some major head-scratching misses. One night my wife and I sat at the bar and both of our drinks tasted like cough syrup--and I swear we're not cocktail snobs by any means. My drink was called the Godmother and it was undrinkable--like spiked Dimetapp. But other times I ordered a whiskey sour or a lemon drop and they were just fine.

Being from Seattle, we also had very high hopes for CafeKafe. The website made it sound like you can get any sort of coffee drink you want here, but it's really just another bar that serves coffee-like shakes from 4 - 6 p.m. every day (not with real coffee--more like milkshakes with coffee liqueurs). We asked for something as basic as iced coffee and they didn't have it. It was a real bummer. Also, if you're a morning latte kind of person, it's not gonna happen.

There was also a weird stench in our room that never completely abated. And no--it wasn't just after we used the bathroom. It lingered particularly in the shower throughout the trip and made the room smell musty. Also, we're not totally sure, but we think that our sheets were never changed throughout our stay. Every night, the sheets never felt fresh and also had a musty smell.

We enjoyed all of the live music and most of the live entertainment. But as much as we loved the music (such as the awe-inspiring saxophonist in Martini), it made our other disappointments all the more disappointing.

The pools, staff, and location were all exceptional. I highly recommend booking an offsite activity through the concierge. We went ziplining and swam with dolphins and had a blast! We were just disappointed that they cut so many corners here because the place isn't cheap. Even Agave, the Mexican restaurant, was average, and we were in Mexico! Everyone has had delicious, authentic, and cheap Mexican food somewhere. Why can't it be done here?

We would not return, even though the Mexican Riviera is so beautiful and the staff works so hard. It's definitely a call of quality over quantity. If we were to ever do an all-inclusive again, I'd go somewhere nicer for a shorter period of time.

Room Tip: We had a swim-up room in the 6000 wing of the resort, which was away from the busiest pool that ofte...
2 Thank HawaiiDuck
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!