“Will I be the 1 millionth member to review this fab hotel?”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Lancashire
“Will I be the 1 millionth member to review this fab hotel?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Returned on the 20th March after spending a fabulous 14 nights at this fantastic resort.

It must be one of the most reviewed hotels on Trip Advisor and certainly deserves its rating as No 1 choice.

We stayed in a swim up suite room number 3008 and for us it was the best room on site (though I cannot comment on the Excellence Club Rooms). Occupying a corner plot opposite the spa, it had a large grassed area between the patio and lazy river which enabled us to get the sun from 8am through 5pm in March. Some of the rooms are in shade for a large part of the day. OK its as far from the main piattza as you can get (about 6 min walk) but can't understand why anyone would complain about this.

There are 8 restaurants and 10 bars. All tasteful. We dined at each restaurant at least twice and found the food superb and in the main the service was excellent. Our favourite was Spice but sometimes the Teppanyaki parties could be a tad noisy which spoils the intimacy. Our least favourite (not because of food quality) was Toscana as it lacked atmosphere and the service was, in our experience, the least good.

You can't fault the quality and quantity of the drinks, the appearance and attitude of staff was EXCELLENT and a credit to the respective teams.

Evening entertainment was very good on the whole, by 9.30pm everyone is quite merry anyway.

During our stay I would say that the guest profile was 80% Canadian/American, 15% UK.

We only wish Mexico was a 3 hour flight away, then we would be regular visitors. All in all a VERY ENJOYABLE well priced holiday and we would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks 2-5 have spa views block 6 and 7 partial sea/pool/bar views Exellence club is bl...
4 Thank KeithM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,583)
  • Korean first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We spend 6 nights/7 days at the Excellence in March of 2013 and had a wonderful experience. From check-in to check-out, the staff always went out of their way to accomodate us and the service was impecable! We had a spa view room in building 2 on the 3rd floor and we found it to be perfect for us. Our friends had the swim up room and the layout was the same, however it was more convenient to get in and out of the room, but it was a bit busier because of the people swimming in the pools. The pools are a bit chilly to really enjoy, but there is a "heated" pool, or luke warm one that is enjoyable if need be.

As for the food, we found it was top notch, with our favorite being Chez Isabelle. The breakfast buffet had lots of variety and was also very good. Our least favorite was the Lobster House for dinner, the lobsters served were small and different from what we are used to eating. We loved the Grill for lunch and also the pizza from Sol bar & grill. The drinks were also very good, and the bartenders never hesitated on making them as we liked. The martini bar is also very enjoyable for pre-dinner drinks as is the area around Cafe Kafe bar.

The beach at this resort is very appealing. It has very nice turquoise colors with a bit of seaweed, however, it is cleaned on a regular basis and it is swimmable. It is a perfect beach to have long walks, runs or to enjoy the waves. Plenty of beach chairs available, however it was so windy during that week, that we prefered to sit by the pool or lounge on the XLounge deck. Beds & chairs by the pool were harder to get by, since all lot of them were reserved by 8-9AM. Even with the "no reservation" policy, it is clear that they do not enforce it.

The shows were good, with our favorite being the Micheal Jackson show. Very entertaining! We enjoyed a few nights at Alegria, the disco and had a blast dancing the night away. The entertainment staff did a great job, thumbs up to Karla, such a great addition to the Excellence family.

The spa facilities are very enjoyable. I had an "Excellence Special" massage and it was an excellent treatment. Before any treatments, you can do the water therapy circuit and it was one of the best water treatments experienced so far. Would highly recommend!

All in all, we had a wonderful stay at Excellence Riviera Cancun and would not hesitate to recommend!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for great views or a swim out for convinience.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachelstravel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The title says it all, really. My wife and I have enjoyed some excellent holidays together in far-flung places such as Gambia, Thailand, Goa, Egypt to name a few. This time we decided to try something different and, after good reports of Mexico and some exhaustive research we decided on this place. Let's just say that we are already planning our next trip there.

Everything about the holiday was beyond our expectation. I hate airports but everything about Cancun Airport ran like clockwork with no problems. The transfer to the hotel is only about fifteen minutes. Once at the hotel you are treated with such care and hospitality. The check-in was smooth and made even easier by the glass of Champaign you get on arrival!

We were in Block 2 which is about 5 minutes walk from the centre of the resort. We would ask for the same block again...not once did we get disturbed. Our suite was quite simply fantastic. The Jacuzzi bath, seating area, balcony...all brilliant.

The bars and restaurants make this hotel so special. We didn't eat at The Lobster House but, with 9 restaurants to choose from you will find something you like. Plus, most nights they had outdoor services too...we particularly enjoyed the 1001 Nights themed evening.

Breakfast is served in TWO restaurants and until 11 and 12 in the morning, so you never feel rushed. Our tour rep said the hotel was at 90% capacity but we usually got the same loungers on the beach every day. The Wi-Fi was so good I was able to read online even on the beach!

Another great thing about the restaurants is the pager system. If they don't have a table ready for you they give you a pager. This means you can go for a drink and you'll be paged when your table is ready. Only once in two weeks did we have to wait significantly longer than expected.

Obviously people have different tastes but our favourite restaurants were Chez Isabelle (French - we went three times) and Toscana which is up-market Italian (if you want pizza or pasta you go to Oregano instead). Spice is also great but you need a large group to get the Teppen-yaki tables. The food was excellent in every restaurant we went to.

Bars: the Martini Bar is the heart of the hotel. Everyone seems to start their evening there - partly because it's in the main building but also I suspect because it's just brilliant! A huge selection of drinks and the staff will also make any cocktails not on the menu if you ask. I became a BIG fan of their lemon mojito martini! All accompanied by live music (piano or saxophone). A huge shout to Luiz who kept the drinks flowing!

On the subject of drinks: most all inclusive hotels serve local alcohol. Not here! What an amazing selection! Gin? Gordon's, Beefeater and (my favourite) Bombay Sapphire. Loads of vodka and whiskey. My wife rarely drinks on holiday because she favours sweeter drinks like Midori. And they stocked it! So she was able to have a drink every night!

There is plenty going on during the day. There was a beach barbecue every lunch, often with entertainment included, such as the margherita tasting day - was that ever a boozy lunch! There are also some great bands playing, the pop quiz was hilarious and on the way back to our room after the beach we'd often stop off at Cafe Kafe for a crepe. I even used the gym, which was well equipped and with free soft drinks on offer.

Finally (families, look away now), for couples after a restful holiday, it's impossible to emphasise how much of a difference being an adult-only resort makes. No screaming, yelling children running around ensues a much more pleasant experience. Here the only yelling came from the hordes of Americans who simply took over at the swim-up bar for their personal frat parties, but as we spent our time on the beach and had our drinks brought to us by the excellent Raul, we weren't bothered.

Sorry for the longer review but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to share and the more keen I am to be back there! Don't wait, just book that holiday now!

• Stayed February 2013
7 Thank Catweevil
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just returned from a week escape Mar 9-16, 2103 and already booked a return trip for May 4th :) Grounds were immaculate, staff was more than accommodating and personable, food was excellent, spa was heavenly. By far my favorite resort destination. No making reservations for dinner, restaurant staff and food were fantastic. Lots of activities during the day and entertainment at night. Bed was comfy, drinks were plentiful, turn down service was a nice touch. Room service is available 24/7. A true 5 star.

6 Thank Pamela J S
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great place- close to airport- good service, good food, fun entertainment, very clean. We upgraded to the Excellence Club area of the hotel- it was a good choice. Room was clean staff was friendly. Turn down service was great. Drinks were all top shelf- restaurant choices were many- we enjoyed the steak house the mexican restaurant and french restaurant. Many people raved about the indian restaurant- we simply ran out of time to try it! Did try the spa one day- excellent massage- beautiful place- Many great pools- private beach area for Excellence Club was great as well!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Excellence Club area of the hotel. Great room with beautiful view of pool and ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kcaesars1
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We went to the Excellence Riviera Cancun from March 4-11. My favourite things about this resort were the people and the layout. I agree with other reviewers that the crown is older 50-60’s, I am in my 40’s and was on the younger end of the crowd. If you are looking to get away to a relaxing place this resort is for you.

Resort
The layout of this resort is impressive. It is a small resort with less than 500 rooms and everything is within 5 minutes walk. The pools wind through the property and there are many seating areas with bali beds and loungers. At the back of the property is the spa surrounded by a lazy river and 6 buildings. Bldgs 1-3 seem to get sun for most of the day. This area is very quiet and the pool is not heated here and a little cool. We were in Building 6a room 6010 a swim up room, this was right in front of the heated pool and a short walk to the Cafe Kafe bar. We only had morning sun until around 11am. The only negative here is the number of people who cut through on their way elsewhere so there is not much privacy. The heated pool is great and this area is a little quieter. The pool with the pool bar is not heated and can be a little cool. There is waiter service at the pools throughout the resort.

Rooms
Rooms are quite large and nicely designed. The bathroom is open to the room with a jacuzzi and separate shower. The rooms are a little musty but no big deal I only noticed it when we entered. The swim up rooms have a patio with a small couch, chair and jacuzzi, then a grassy area with 2 loungers and hammock. Depending on the location some have about 20 feet of lawn space before the pool. If looking for sun building 7 has full sun with access to the heated pool.

The rooms have 4 bottles of liquor, beer, pop, water, red and white wine and some candy and chips. They come daily to refresh and are very accommodating if you want extra.

Food and Drink
The food here was very good, as a comparison we stayed at the NOW Sapphire and I found the food to be just as good there. We ate at the Grill 3 times (brazilian and steaks were great). We did the cooking table at Spice which was really good. The Italian (Toscano / Barcelona) and French (Chez Isabelle) were good. We had an anniversay dinner at Chez Isabelle and the extra personal touches such as additional appetizers and dessert and great service were very nice. I was not thrilled with the choices at Mexican but still found something. The pizza at the Sol Bar and the breakfast and lunch buffets were very good. Portions are small but they have no issue with people ordering extra appetizers.

The house wines are OK, they do have a few different selections and we liked the Montevina which came in a white Chardonnay and a red, you had to ask specifically for this. Drinks are not strong but no big deal. I like frozen Baileys and in some of the bars I could tell it was either watered down or not Baileys.

We usually went to dinner between 7:00-8:00pm, the longest we waited was 1 hour for the Grill.

Top notch service. Everyone is helpful and friendly. There is waiter service around the pools and several bars that are a short walk away. I cannot understand anyone complaining about service here. One night we had slower service however we could tell the waiter was extremely busy and working very hard.

Entertainment
The entertainment here is very good. Some days there are bands near the beach or the pool. The music around the pool is very laid back. The reggae band Friday afternoon was really good. Every evening they have a band in the courtyard beside the Café Kafe bar and these were always very good. The Michael Jackson, Madonna and Cirque shows at 9:30pm were great. After this there is usually another band and these were also very good.

The only negative we experienced was my husband left his IPOD on the bed when we checked out. We didn’t realize until we were getting ready to board the plan. I emailed the hotel and they have advised they cannot locate it.

6 Thank Elaine C
Oklahoma city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Well this is our 2nd time to this resort and 3rd time to a excellence resort in the last 2 years. Let me just say they first time we came it was by far my favorite resort we had been too but 2nd time was very good but left me wanting more.

Likes:
Adult only
Spa (I rec'd 3 massages and my wife 1 facial and 2 massages)(amazing)
All the rooms are the same except for roof top terr. Rooms are great (not as good as smb or EPM) Love the sitting area and balcony
All the restaurants are good and plenty of choices
Martini bar (love just chill in there late at night)
Pretty good shows
Love the live bands before the shows and after the shows

Dislikes or things that affect the 5 star

Pools and service around pools, I love there pool layout and there are plenty of chairs, just the water is freak-in freezing and I saw a server every 2 hours (except for jesus who tried to take care of us even when he wasn't working that area)
Front desk lacked any personality. Really I can't get a late check out at 1pm vs noon even though you hadn't cleaned my room before 3pm any day while on the trip. Was also really disappointed that I couldn't get a proper response from my emails and what little response was no help: I'll explain, 1st I couldn't book a excellence club room on expedia cause it was kind of last minute. Email them to ask if I could upgrade and was willing to pay and if I couldn't could I pay for the extra to be at excellence club pool. waited 48 hrs and finally got a response that there are extra rooms available but you'll have to wait till you get here. I then sent a response back and asked about purchasing excellence club if they were sold out and they stated No. I also asked about getting me a round of golf booked and never rec'd a response at all. did send numerous emails. When I finally got there I immediately asked about rooms and they stated they didn't have any till midweek. I then said is there a way to by a pass to the excellence club pool and they stated there not allowed and I asked even if I purchase the club room at midweek and they stated I couldn't till midweek. The funny thing is he didn't check with his manager and looked at few pieces of paper for a minute or two (excellence club pool almost no one there 3 of the 5 days). Just felt a repeat customer and somebody who has booked excellence club rooms both times staying at excellence resorts they might dbl check or at least try harder, NOPE!!!!
Also the entertainment team around the pool area was BORING!!!! Nothing will beat IBG Punta Cana team. Funny and got everybody involved.

All that being said my wife and I had a great time but just felt we personally would've enjoyed the excellence club better just b/c of the pool area and service around pool area and just having a ocean view. The other thing was surprising was the lack of people staying up late at the martini bar which both other times the place was packed till 1pm. Not sure why not but thats not the resorts fault.

Overall we will probably come back one day but will most likely go back to an iberostar grand for our next trip as we found the service better and they have golf.

2 Thank michaelc16
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,643 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!