We love this place. They are so close to being the perfect resort. They just need to tweak some things and they could do it. We just returned from 5 days there. Our 2nd trip there.
What we love about Excellence
1. The pools - especially the spa area serpentine like pool
2. even when full the resort doesn't feel busy
3. always can easily find a place on the beach or pool
4. Service is outstanding- without exception. We love everyone at the resort. It's like they really like working there and really want everyone to be happy. They really aim to please and they succeed at this.
5. Gorgeous beach
6. On site water sports
7. The fruit juice bar at the Spa Pool
What we wish could be improved.
1. The rooms, they are average and we hate that their isn't a private bathroom area, that it's integrated into the main room. The toilet is private but the rest of the room, sinks, tub are open into each other. No privacy for changing, unless you want to change in the separate shower area. Not good. This will could be fixed if they just put some sort of privacy wall or curtain between the bedroom and sink areas.
Also there is a step down to get to the balcony which can be dangerous for Seniors. I would not recommend it for my parents. Nor people who drink heavily! ;)
2. The food. It's not bad, it's actually pretty good most of the time --- but not great. If you have dietary restrictions they really are good at trying to make you happy, but certain things need still to be worked on.
My husband is gluten free and they do not always mark everything clearly.
i.e. They had "TORTILLA CHIPS" on display at the buffet that were in two separate bowls. They never noted that one of the bowls were "FLOUR" tortillas. It just said TORTILLA, and yet we were under the impression all the tortillas were corn since that was all they ever brought to the table. How were we to know their were other kinds if they were not marked differently? Especially at a buffet.
Also the 'grilled fish' which he ordered was very lightly dusted with flour. Stuff like that happened all the time on the menu. You might order ginger ice cream but then you get it and they have strawberry sauce all over it, yet it never mentioned it in the menu.
Beware if you are a VEGETARIAN. You can't eat about 90% of the desserts.They made everything with Gelatin. I'm on holiday.
Even worse, They fry items like Onion rings in the same oil, shared with shell fish, meats etc...
There is no excuse for not having separate fryers. One for meat, one for shellfish and one for veggies.
3. Smoking. The sea air is so beautiful and when you get someone cigarette or worse cigar going up your nose, not only is it unhealthy but it's vile smelling. I certainly can understand people being able to smoke outside, but their should be at least one area that it is restricted from. Make part of the beach area non smoking. You would think the Excellence Club area would at least have a no smoking beach area and that the SPA pool area would be divided up or have non smoking areas.
Other than these 3 issues, it would be the perfect resort.
For those interested in the SPA, the Hydrotherapy is a nightmare, You can't enjoy it as they have the jets too close to each other and unless you are the only one doing it at the time you end up being splashed badly by the ricocheting off the person near you and vice versa. They need to space the jets further apart. We'd suggest skipping that, just stick to a massage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda and Reservation Counter so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos