“The Best Holiday Ever!”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you want a fantastic holiday, Excellence Riviera Cancun is where you'll find it! This was my fourth time to Cancun, my second stay at this particular hotel. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough! Everything is perfect, from the rooms to the pools to the service, amenities, dining, beach... I could go on and on! The dining options are superb, the buffets in particular are incredible! Evening entertainment is also exceptional, from the live bands in the early evening which we always enjoyed and made time for before dinner and of course the shows in the theatre later on. The biggest attraction for myself and my wife is the people. The Mexicans are so cheerful, their attitude is infectious! Particularly here at the Excellence Riviera Cancun. From the moment you pull up at the door you are treated like real family. Everyone from the gardeners and pool cleaning guys, the room staff, the waiters and waitress's, everyone is genuinely pleased to see you, to say "Hola" and give you a smile. The service is exceptional, be it at the bar or any one of the many restaurants. This truly is 5 star! Only got back home this afternoon and already my wife is online looking to book again for next year. We'll definitely be back... the sooner the better! While everyone was truly great, a handful we got to know particularly well (see my photos) deserve extra recognition. Marcel, Eduardo and Ricardo made our mealtimes something to remember while Ramone is something very special indeed. This guy is a real star! My wife Zoe and I were befriended by Ana, waiting tables every evening and made every night a moment to remember. And lastly my very good friend Enrique. What can I say amigo? It was difficult saying goodbye. You're the best! Look after yourselves, take care and hopefully we'll see you all next year. I'll even practice my Spanish for next time! Note to the management... whatever you pay these people, they're worth more! Almost forgot about Benjamin! We last stayed here 5 years ago for our honeymoon and we got to know Benjamin in one of the restaurants. This time around we asked the waiters in the same restaurant if he was still here. Next thing we know, he's made a special appearance just to deliver our meal to our table! It was fantastic seeing you again Benjamin, hope to see you again next time too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SeanHollingworth
Write a ReviewReviews (12,831)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I am writing a review as trip advisor was so important for me in booking this holiday and it was so helpful to check peoples own holiday photos as they show you the genuine article.

I literally had the best week of my life here. And the best holiday I've ever had. I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it now.
I found the food here excellent. I am a vegetarian (no meat or fish) but I never once struggled for choice and if I told the waiters I was vegetarian they would offer me special dishes from the chef and in chez Isabelle they produced an entirely separate vegetarian menu! I have been vegetarian for 20 years and have never felt so accepted and welcomed as I did here. I was touched by the efforts they would go to. My partner who is a meat eater also had a ball with the choice and variation on offer. We both put on weight in the short time we were here!

The highlight for me was the pools and the spa. The pools go on for ever, and I spent every day in the lazy river just floating around listening to the soothing music coming from the spa. It truely was heavenly. My partner and I also took advantage of one of the spa offers and had a couples relaxation massage as a treat for my 30th birthday. It was 3 hours of bliss and we were literally floating on air when we came out.

The beach was right in front of the hotel. The colour of the water I could just have stared at it all day. And the sand was powder soft. The waiters still found you on the beach and were offering drinks no matter how far out you were. They always had lots of water which they would give you too. They were responsible with this which impressed me.

Drinks, I was shocked at how nice and fresh the fruity cocktails tasted, and the strength of them! I've seen people complain on here about the liquors not being strong or top shelf (grey goose mentioned a lot) but if you are not happy with the strength of the drinks here then I would be worried about your health to be honest! And personally I don't care for any particular branded spirits, I was just happy they tasted fresh and yummy. The strawberry daquari and banana mama's were personal favourites of mine as they were fruity and refreshing without being too sweet.

I found the staff to be lovely. So smiley and funny, in the blue bar restaurant they loved a laugh and a joke, we would go there just to have fun with the waiters, and they remember your face and names if you interact with them. I heard them speaking in various languages including English French and Spanish and all were fluent. I was most impressed. They took service to a level I am not used to in England. We don't get service like that here! The guys at the martini bar were equally as great and I felt like a princess sat at that bar with the piano being played being handed one delicious cocktail after another. I must mention the rest of the staff too, I didn't come across a single waiter or waitress, maid, porter, receptionist who didn't take my breath away with their attitude. They seemed to love their jobs.

Finally the rooms. We stayed in a standard suite and I thought it was glorious. Spacious, clean, well equipped and I loved the double sinks! Saved me and my fiancee fighting over the mirror every night! The air con was lovely and cool and the balcony huge. Hot tub was a great touch and I was shocked at how many spirits and drinks you get in the minibar, it was re stocked every day and I just couldn't believe how much was included in the all inclusive. I loved burning an insense stick everynight and falling asleep watching the huge tv in my four poster bed. Heaven.

I cannot fault anything. I hope you don't think I'm being over the top but I am so hard to please and I was blown away here. I think of this holiday all the time and my fiancee and I have both agreed we cannot think of anywhere else we would like to have our wedding so are planning to book it here. I hope you find it as spectacular as we did. I will compare every future holiday to this one from now on.

• Stayed: July 2012
13  Thank Mell82
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am writing this from poolside of the excellence. Our eighth trip to MX, third trip to excellence. This is by far the best place to stay in Riviera Maya. The genuine friendliness combined with world class facilities cannot be beat

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Eddiet5
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We spent 5 days at the Excellence in March and enjoyed it right from the start! We felt good about the security at the property gate and as soon as our taxi pulled up to the hotel we were greated with a warm moist towel and glass of champainge. Check in was quick and you are escorted to the property and rooms through a martini bar and the rest in pure glutenous luxury! Its very easy to access food and beverage any time of day or night including a really good room service menu available 24 hrs and I was able to get drinks from the martini bar delivered to my room and I was quite impressed by!
Also on our list of likes were the well equiped gym ( although we didn't use it) the choice in restaurants and service throughout resort, the abundantance of clean towels located at the stations and if your into it there are free adult channels.
Less favorable, our room was beautiful and well set up but a little humid and musty. Nightlife was a little lacking and a bigger offering of daily activities would be nice.
Overall.. we will be back to this property and look forwards to checking other Excellence properties!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cava33FSJ
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We went on our honeymoon here for 10 days in August 2011. Each day was better than the next. The food was great, but I suggest avoiding the Lobster House for dinner. The French restaurant was the best. The service was spectacular. Everyone was so friendly. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lampertstonian
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had another wonderful two weeks here, this time on our honeymoon. When they say all inclusive they really mean it, nothing is too much trouble and the staff are so friendly. The lay out of the complex is really good so you can get away from it all and have peace and quiet or join the party if you want to. Would go back again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fi M
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have had the privilege of being able to travel quite widely in my life and I am delighted to say that this is probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at.

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you receive first class treatment. Whilst the rooms, food, facilities, entertainment and weather are amazing, the staff and the service they offered really made it.

I have racked my brains for things I didn't like, but I have found none.

I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: October 2012
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!