“An Excellent 4th of July!”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at ERC over the July 4th holiday week and this was our 9th stay at this fantastic resort. This trip was to celebrate Cheryl’s 50th birthday and wow ERC pulled out all the stops and provided us with our room decorated upon arrival and a special dinner and desert. We requested and were placed in our favorite room and were treated with champagne and very beautiful flower arrangement. From the time you walk through the large wooden doors and are given the cold towels and champagne until you leave there is nothing this resort will not do for you. Excellence Riviera always provides us with a care free, very relaxing vacation and we never have to worry about anything, and we have never be told no to any of our requests, which is simply amazing. The sheer quality and amount of food on the breakfast and lunch buffets is amazing and the evening meals were really good. The new beach restaurant is very nice and gives you another option to going inside to eat for lunch and has a different theme everyday. We also love the numerous evening bars that are open, each with a different atmosphere and setting. Being it was the 4th of July, they had an all day party that day that concluded with fireworks on the beach. The Excellence Club, Pool and Beach Concierges, Bar and Beach staff take care of everything and constantly ask and make sure if there is anything they can do for you or help you in any way. We wanted to thank entire staff and all the Excellence Riviera Cancun employees for once again providing us with another great vacation, you treat us so well, and make each and every trip so special and memorable and this is why we return again and again.

2  Thank sunylatitude
There are newer reviews for Excellence Riviera Cancun

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My Husband and I have just returned from ERC this was our 6th trip there in as many years. We were there from July3-July 12. There have been some changes since our visit last year, starting with the management, there are new faces everywhere, most are very nice especillay Mariana Montes(the new guest services manager)she had only been there a few days when we arrived but she was trying so hard to make sure that everyone was happy, we didn't meet nor did we see the new GM, last year we saw the management team walking around to all of the pools and beach talking to everyone everyday, this year we didn't see that.Also ther are changes to the menu's at the Grill,the Lobster House, and Agave, the Grill and the Lobster house have the same menu for lunch, we didn't care for it, they have removed many of the items that we really enjoyed in the past and the salad bar is a joke,last year we ate there everyday for lunch this year we went once in 9 days but there are many choices for lunch the buffet was great for breakfast and lunch they had a great selection everything you could think of, and everything was very fresh and good, there is also a beach bbq everyday with a different theme, and Oregano for the best pizza and calzones!!!Agave has also removed a few items from the menu but you will never go hungry at ERC there are so many places to eat and the food is really good. We ordered room service everynight(coffee and pastry) for the next morning and it always arrived right on time. We still think that Chez Isabelle is the best we ate there 3 times including 1 private dinner in the wine cellar,the food and the service was wonderful, The Grill is good for dinner we ate there twice, I didn't care for the ribeye but the filet was good, we ate at the Lobster House once, I ordered from the grill menu(I don't eat fish) my husband loved his lobster said it was much better than last year, we ate at Agave once and it was very good.We never had to wait for a table we ate between 7:30-8:00 service was good everywhere.The Martini Bar is still a great place to have a drink before dinner(try the mouselight it's like a chocolate shake with alcohol) they do serve top shelve if you ask for it, and the drinks are not watered down.We did see alot more people tipping which was really nice because everybody works so hard! The rooms are ok but the beds and pillows meed inprovment!!Housekeeping was good and the mini bar was restocked daily. The grounds and pool remained well maintained and very clean. We did see alot of float hoarders people would actually take them to there rooms at night even in the club, we always take our own and give them away when we leave alot eaiser than running arounf trying to find one.If you want a chair by the main pool be downstairs before 7am to put a towel down to reserve your spot, but there are plenty of open chairs and palupas at the beach and at the other pools.We would like to say a very special thankyou to Ana Montesdeoca who went out of her way once again to make our trip very special!!!!There were so many others including: Romone, Antonio,Pableo,The Chef at Chez Isabelle, Carla,Emmy,and Adain at the club pool, Mosis,Joel, and Raul at the club bar and so many others whos names I can't remember. Like always we made so many new friends from around the world, and even with all the changes we still look forward to trip #7

10  Thank dbldimond7
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Yes third time visitors here yes its still excellente... However we do suggest you pay extra for a Excellance Club Swim out Suite , as you can choose your in room bar , have a good spot daily to sun bathe and a very quick concierge service to name a few of the benefits and any problems you may have are resolved within an hour if not sooner.
Generally you cannot fault the service, however even the recession hit mexico and it was noticed by not only us as returning guests but others, they did not have as many staff as previous years, therefore you had to wait sometimes up to 2 hours for a table for dinner and the bars had less staff so getting a drink at times was a long drawn out experience, which is a great pity.
The Restaurant food is by far very good as is room service.

Moses at the excellente club bar is a treasure if you go say hi from Denise in the UK :) have an electric lemonade its divine :)
So many positives for us but little things let it not shine so bright as it once did , like general maintenance of the rooms bad shower fitting, dirty hammock in the swim out no four posters 8058 what happened to that :( and no fancy towel display on the bed when we arrived .
Ok call me picky but if you pay £4000 for a holiday of less than 13 days you expect certain standards these seem to of gone( possibly staff shortages ?) but i am sure if i mentioned it i could of had the hamock cleaned, shower fixed even moved rooms lol ...any way they still do go the extra mile and a half they gave me tonic in the fridge for my gin , Hubby got a bottle of red daily, the Excellance club management went above and beyond to keep us happy... would we go back again ............probably yes

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pauldenkentuk
Reviewed July 23, 2012

As our 25th anniversary was coming, I decided to plan something 'more'. More than just a cruise. More than just an all-inclusive. After some research, I landed on ERC. My wife didn't do much reading before - just trusted me. We booked through CheapCaribbean and got the transfers, etc. Nice to have a one-stop shop. Anyway, once through the "let me help you" of the Cancun airport, we got to our shuttle. As we were driving, we were talking with the 3 other couples in the shuttle (all 1-5 years married - guess we were the 'old dogs') ... and as we pulled up to ERC two of the women said "this is where I really wanted to stay".
We were met by a pith-helmet wearing bellhop, handed a towel to cool off and immediately handed champagne. My wife looked at me, smiled, and said "oh, I think this will work".
We were escorted to the Excellence Club reception where we checked in, and signed up for our Anniversary Dinner on the beach. Within an hour, our room was ready! We had an Excellence Club Swim Up Suite. LOVED IT. However, we didn't take full advantage of the swim-up, so next time, Excellence Club yes, swim up no.
Service: Excellent. From check-in to checkout there were always smiling faces there to help
Food: Very Good. not spectacular, but then, for a resort, I'd say very very good. We really enjoyed the French and Asian restaurants the most. Room service was always pretty quick and always right, Different lunch buffets on the beach every day. And daily, grab a coconut!
Drinks: we had great bottles in our room - but overall, the drinks were plentiful and frequent
Entertainment: So-so, the Michael Jackson and Madonna were the best, but again, hey, you're on PlayaTime and on vacation, so bfd! just go and enjoy
The grounds: Beautiful and very well maintained!
The Room: WOW! Big shower, hot tub inside and outside.. AC always worked... Sparkling clean.
Will i return? Yup, planning to go same time next year as soon as the dates open!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arthur E
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Everyone has their own opinion about the level of service you receive from resorts such as Excellence...decisions to make a reservation or not are made by a number of factors, such as reviews...please consider mine when you are looking for a great vacation...my wife and I arrived as a group of 8 friends, to celebrate my birthday...upon arrival we were greeted at curbside by friendly staff who assured that they would take care of our luggage from that point...as we approached the huge double entrance doors to the lobby, those doors swung open and we were greeted by more staff who welcomed us to the resort...they provided us with a champagne toast for my birthday and serenaded me with "Happy Birthday"...our Ocean View accommodations in Bldg. #6 (Room 6334) were fantastic...great views of several pools and the majority of the coastline...this will not be the most wonderful beach you will ever see in your lifetime, for beach swimming...the beach itself is beautiful and the beach cabanas and beach chairs with thatch roof sun protection are plentiful...this is a pool resort and there are plenty of different areas to enjoy spending time in the water...there are party areas and extreme quiet areas...if you come here to relax,you will not be disappointed...if you come here to have fun and to party with other people from every corner of the world, you will not be disappointed either...about the food...restaurant reviews are as different as people are...no one likes or dislikes every kind of food...the Lobster House has the best scenic dining experience, overlooking the sweeping beach...and the food was great...the breakfast here was very good as well...but the breakfast buffet was the best option for any kind of morning meal that you will find...the dinner at the French restaurant was great but the staff was not as accommodating to a party of 8 as they could have and should have been...the Italian restaurant for dinner was just fair, not wonderful...as far as the entertainment...this is not Disney World or Las Vegas...they provide their guests with the best available show that they can...the Mexican Night was a celebration of their food, culture, and dance...all 3 elements were well presented...try some foods that you have never had, watch native dances you have never seen, and enjoy what they work so hard to share with you...during the day there are games around the pool, trivia contests, Texas Hold 'em, name that tune, and in other words fun...this is a great place to spend a few days away from the routine you left behind...the bar staff and wait staff are there to serve you...take out a kayak and "Angel" will make sure you have a great time...for us, this resort truly was "Excellence"...

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great ocean view...Bldg # 6 Ocean View...wow...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank irishcypressbay
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Normally I wait until I return home to post a review, however we are here at ERC right now and feel the need to post now. If you are a beach person, DO NOT book this resort. I am posting this because I wish that someone had said it this plainly back when I was reading hundreds of posts prior to booking here. As far as the rest of the resort to this point it has been a 7 out of 10 experience. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Excellence in Playa Mujeres exceeds this resort in all aspects. I am on vacation right now, so I am going to make the most of it. But, please trust me when I tell you that if you are a beach person, and I admit I am a major beach person, you will be VERY disappointed upon your arrival. Hate to be a downer, but I wish someone had made it this blunt for me before I booked!

• Stayed: July 2012
16  Thank cvaretimos
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have been to ten all inclusive resorts in our ten years of marriage. Our first and 3rd through 9th were in Jamaica. Our 2nd was to Cancun and we hated it and thought it was cheap and yucky compared to Jamaica, but we've gotten bored with Jamaica and decided to give Cancun another try. Excellence Riviera Cancun totally sold us on luxury and what all-inclusiveness and wonderful service and treatment used to mean.

Room Tip: We had a swim up room in building 6000. The view was of the pool and was our first time not having...
1  Thank Holly H
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!