My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon during the first week of June this year. We are both around the age of 30, and we did not go into this trip with any ridiculous ideas of the honeymoon. We wanted to find a nice place, with great service, great food, and a great room.....in actuality, we found so much more than that. We will be back, hopefully for several of our “big” anniversary years in the future. Here are some details:
The pools: We had great luck finding chairs and floats on a daily basis. There were plenty to go around most days. The pools themselves are very, very clean. They don't stink of chlorine or chemicals, but the water is soft and clean. Towels are available right by the pools, and there are so many areas with pools to choose from. The main pool has a swim up bar, and that pool was regularly busy, often with the younger crowds. They were by no means annoying or rowdy, but they were certainly having a great time and enjoying the bar. So for a little mingling with some new folks, that's a good place to start. If you looking for a quiet place to get some sun and read a book, I would recommend any of the other pools, which are usually really quiet and peaceful. And remember....no kids!!! It honestly makes all the difference.
The food: We hit all of the restaurants except the Indian place and the Mexican place. Many of the people we talked to around the resort said that their food was just OK, so we decided to steer clear. For breakfast, we hit the buffet (Barcelona restaurant I believe) in the mornings. We met with FANTASTIC service, great coffee, bloody mary's, mimosas, omelet stations, and a nice selection of all kinds of breakfast foods and breads.
Our favorite lunches were typically found at The Grille. This is a cool little open-air restaurant that has fantastic shrimp nachos, good fajitas, a pretty decent steak, and good burgers.
As far as dinners go, Spice was the Asian-theme restaurant, and it was some of the best food we had all week. The sushi was really good, as was the hibachi (which you have to make reservations for in advance....it was a lot of fun). The French restaurant was a total let-down. We got there for our “romantic dinner” as part of the honeymoon package, and unfortunately we were met with really poor service, and even worse food. My wife had the steak and after sending if back twice to try and get a proper cooking on it, we just got up and left after letting the staff know that we were disappointed. In addition to that, I ordered the Venison and it was also very bland. As far as food goes, that was our only negative experience. The lobster house was good, as was the Italian place....by the way, get the apple desert there! Room service was fast and delicious. The food, coffee, and drinks came fast and hot.
The service: Even with our one negative experience at the French restaurant, the service at this resort was amazing. Juan was our favorite waiter. He did a fantastic job of taking care of us, and if you are lucky enough to have him wait on you, I highly suggest leaving his a strong tip, trust me, he earns it.
The entertainment: Not bad. Not amazing, but not bad. According to some of our fellow travelers, they said that it was a lot better that most entertainment shows on cruises or at other all-inclusive resorts. It gives you something to do while enjoying an after-dinner drink or two.
The rooms: Very nice! Huge walk-in shower (7' X 5'). Stocked mini bar, comfortable bed. We stayed for 5 nights, and did nothing outside of relaxing around the resort, and we had an amazing time. I never felt bored, and there was always something fun to do. We hit the spa one day for a couples massage (2 hours long), watched a great sunrise over the beach, had some nice walks around the resort, met some really nice people, and found a new home-away-from-home.
We will be back!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-suite, all-adult Resort is set along Mexico's renowned Mayan Riviera, between Playa del Carmen and Cancun, on an immaculate white sand beach. Six meandering pools wind through their grounds. You have unlimited access to eight international restaurants and ten bars, plus such amenities as an expansive swim-in spa, a full-scale fitness and cardio-conditioning center and an unparalleled range of activities on land and sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Excellence Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Riviera Maya
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Puerto Morelos
- Excellence Cancun
- Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Cancun Excellence Riviera
- Excellence Resort Cancun
- Excellence Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos