“wonderful honeymoon”

Excellence Riviera Cancun
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed September 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence for our honeymoon starting on September 17. We enjoyed our stay immensely, however, there were a few drawbacks. The grounds are immaculate and the pools are just gorgeous. The staff was wonderful and extremely welcoming and the concierge was very helpful in booking our trips (the Salvatica trip was amazing).

Service was really good at all the restaurants and bars except for The Grill (we had to leave because I never received my meal). The restaurants were pretty good overall. We didn't really care for Spice, but enjoyed all the other restaurants especially Chez Isabelle. The ambiance at the restaurants was appropriate and Chez Isabelle was very romantic. The drinks at the bars were great, I especially loved the coffees and margaritas, but make sure to ask for premium liquor in your drinks.

Everything in the rooms seemed to be a little damp. I don't think that this was the fault of the hotel and it was due to the humidity of the area and the fact that we visited during the rainy season.

We visited the Spa during a rainy day and got massages. It was extremely nice and relaxing. Our massage included the water circuit treatment and the entire experience was great.

My husband became ill during our trip, but one visit to the on-site doctor fixed him right up and we were able to continue to enjoy our vacation. If you get sick, go to the doctor immediately, it's not terribly expensive and will be worth it.

You will probably want to take bug spray and anti-itch cream with you. There are mosquitoes, but they don't bother everyone. It is a tropical climate though and I was unlucky enough to definitely need bug spray and cortizone, but they really didn't bother my husband.

The pools are gorgeous. There were always enough chairs and towels and we were always able to find a "float mat."

We were pleased to find that there was no noticeable damage to the hotel due to Hurricane Dean. Everything was in place and as it should be.

Overall our stay was very pleasant. It was an extremely relaxing experience and we will definitely stay at the resort again if we decide to return to Cancun.

6  Thank jnpsoc
Write a ReviewReviews (13,047)

Reviewed September 23, 2007

My conclusions: very good service but be careful to the reception check out clerks. Don't give them your credit card number e carefully check the bill. The check out people try to steal money. The day fee is to high for the overall service provided.
You can judge from the letter I wrote to the Hotel Management

"I had a very bad experience with your reception management on Sunday August 19th, at the moment of my check out. Is it your regular procedure to cause loss to a client?
The facts
I was your happy customer over the last new year's eve week. Since I had a lovely experience I decided to come back to your resort and so I reserved for 13 days, from Aug 7th to Aug 19th 2007.
Everything was perfect, up to the moment of check out.
During the last week of my stay I had decided to buy a package of scuba excursions at the kiosk if Aquaworld, inside your resort, for the price of 5'324 Mex Pesos. Because of Hurricane Dean arriving and consequent "Mal Tiempo" I received from Aquaworld people a Bonus or Credit of 1'175.90 Pesos. This Credit was registered in a rectangular Excellence "beige document", sent by Gonzalo to your reception desk, to be balanced at the moment of check out. This document is an internal Excellence doc, counter-signed by myself.
It was Sunday 19th, 10.50 am. The hotel lobby was crowded since Hurricane Dean was reported on the way to Riviera Maya the next day, Mon 20th. I had a taxi waiting for me outside, my wife already in and the luggage already stored.
Your check out clerk RENE gave to me an AmEx strip to be signed and THEN showed me a document were the balance between debits and credit is clear. 11.04 AM. Now I I admit to have been STUPID to sign the AmEx strip done by RENE incorrectly, before checking.
In YOUR document it is very clear that I had TOTAL CARGOS of 98.66 Me$ and TOTAL ABONOS of 1,175.90 Me$. So it was wrong to charge me 98.66 Me$ since I had a credit, and RENE had to know it because of your "white" and "beige" documents.
From that point on I tried to explain the problem but Rene said that it was not possible for him to check with Aquaworld the evidence of the credit, so WITHOUT SAYING IT TO ME IN ADVANCE he was compelled to charge me TOTAL CARGOS of 98.66 Me$. While I am getting more and more upset and frantic Rene was substituted by LUIS. They gave me a secondo wrong strip I didn't sign. At that moment I started to think that it was not possible to do unintentionally twice the same error.
After at least ten minutes of explanations and higher and higher voices it was clear that Excellence didn't recognize my credit.
At that point Mr. Luis was substituted by Mr. EDGAR, who understood the situation after MY explanations. His try was to contact Aquaworld Headquarters in Cancun. I don't think he got satisfaction.
It was 11:30 am already and so I told Mr.Edgar that if we have missed our flight because of your check procedures, we would have been free guest of Excellence Riviera Cancun for the following week, given it was not likely to find another flight before 4-5 days.
So, he ended up with this solution:
ð Cancellation of 98.66 Me$ charge
ð Cancellation of 886.67 Me$ charge
ð Cash to me of 91.91 Me$
ð TOTAL 1,077.24 Me$
It was 11.35 am. I was afraid to really miss the flight and to be compelled to spend the rest of my week in the company with gentlemen like Rene, Luis and Edgar. I felt forced to accept.
Now I have few questions for Excellence Hotel Management.
1 How do you feel now after providing me with a fantastic service for 7+13 days and spoiling all the reputation in just 45 minutes?
If you have a document done by you saying "TOTAL CARGOS" and "TOTAL ABONOS" what is the meaning of CARGOS and ABONOS in your procedure?
2 Are You used to charge as soon as you can Someone's CARGOS on someone else's Credit Card, as Mr.Rene did?
3 Why did you decide to consider a credit of 1,077.24 instead of 1,175.90? Is it another calculation mistake (as I think) or your decided to discount the amount, in order to reduce the risk?
4 I didn't appreciated the behaviours of Rene, Luis and Edgar. I had the feeling of being accused of stealing since I always was force to explain. The reality is the opposite: Excellence Riviera Cancun subtracted me 98.66 Me$. Is this your regular attitude?
----
After some weeks and two or three emails, I received from Excellence Cancun a credit of 99 Mex Pesos. Period.
---

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fif_dot_com
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Just returned from 5 days at Excellence Riviera Cancun for our honeymoon from September 19 – 23rd. This would have been a 5 star review if only we had been assigned to a different room.

The Good:
The resort is beautiful. We are more pool people than beach, and we just loved the pools. I loved floating around and relaxing in the spa pool.
We really enjoyed all the restaurants we visited. We had dinner at Agave, Chez Isabelle, Spice and Lobster House/The Grill. Loved all our meals, especially the one we had at Spice. That was definitely our favorite. I’m not a fan of Lobster, but my husband is, and I was able to order off The Grill menu at Lobster House. So that was really nice.
For lunch, we had room service a couple of days, but then ate at Oregano on our last full day. It was really good.
For breakfast, the first day we ate at Lobster house which was okay. Then after that we ate at Barcelona and really enjoyed it. The pastries are so delicious.
The service was fantastic at all the restaurants. It was decent with room service except for one day when they forgot something and it took another 40 minutes to deliver it.
As for entertainment, we didn’t take part in any of the activities. We did see a couple of the shows. They were pretty entertaining. I really enjoyed the magician who performed in the disco.
Our room was really nice. Loved the Jacuzzi. Loved how spacious the shower was. Water pressure and temperature were just fine. Fridge was always stocked. The bed was definitely firm, but we slept very well on it.

The Bad:
We were really looking forward to using the swim-out aspect of our room. We had room 4001, if you get this room, I would change it if you want more room in your garden area. This room had a huge rock in it, so space was limited. You’d have to walk in a neighboring yard to reach the pool. No biggie.
The first morning, we were ready to go out and sit in our garden area in our lounge chairs, but there was a man out there planting new grass or something. He was out there most of the day. We just hung out on the other side of the pool no biggie.
The next day, once again we were ready to spend the day sitting in the garden area. But nope, there was only one lounge chair there. The other was missing along with all the chairs from the other rooms in our building. Not sure why. We called the front desk and then later on concierge to try and get the chair back. It finally came back in the evening and when the rain started. The n it rained all day the next day, so we never really got to utilize the yard.

The Ugly:
On our last morning, we ate breakfast and then we were going to hang out on the patio until someone came for our bags. As we approached our room, we noticed a ton of branches all over the patio. We were like “now what!” Our neighbors above our room informed us that the gazebo type thing made out of branches had just collapsed. Thank goodness it didn’t happen while we were there. We were pretty shaken up since we probably would have been sitting on the bench while we waited.
The guests above us had someone from the hotel with them and asked him to call someone. We also called.15 minutes went by and no one had showed so we called again. Finally 5 minutes later two men came to check out the damage, and then the Manager came. There was a lot of confusion since then someone came to help us with our bags. What a way to end our trip.

I wish we could have a do-over. If we had been assigned to another room, our vacation would have been just about perfect (minus the rain, which was not the resorts fault). I still wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the hotel. Our problems were just a fluke. Just a bit disappointed that they had to happen to us.

5  Thank LoraJae
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I think somewhat randomly and bounce around...sorry..
Where to start....Well to anybody that books a vacation in Mexico it is always painful to get from the Airport to the hotel. We booked through a travel agent and they used GOGO Tours. Do not sign up for any tours at the airport. We got to the Excellence Riviera Maya resort and were immediately given Champagne. It was our Honeymoon by the way and this resort is all inclusive.....and we stayed for ten days and got extremely fat. We got the Junior Spa view suite. I highly recommend that versus any ocean view. Make sure your room is on the bottom floor so you walk out directly to the pool. The room was real nice especially the shower...it was huge. The staff we always extremely friendly and attended to all of our needs. The food was about what you come to suspect from an all inclusive resort. The Mexican dishes were awesome. The Lobster was not. Get about $100 worth of ones and dish them out for room service, waiters, bartenders, and the lady that walks around the pools getting you drinks. They did not have Corona which I thought was weird and of course no american beer. My wife and I like to have a beverage or two....I recommend the meixcan red wine and of course dos equis. The hotel was kept exceptionally clean and they are always working on something. Back to our room...it had two jacuzzi big tubs one inside and one on the porch. We had two personal chairs right outside the room which was probably 20 feet from the pool. The pools are key here....we had the lazy river in front of us. There is also a pool bar where the majority of people are a little older and fairly wild. There are pools everywhere and if you wanted to have privacy that was not a problem. Now I am not sure if this was normal or not but there were not many people. It was like our own private island. Maybe because of the two hurricanes that barely missed....Worked out for us!!! Anyway...Never had to wait at restaurants and room service on average took 45 minutes. We did that every morning...the coffee sucks. They also have tons of bottled water. The ribs at the lobster house were surprisingly good. In regards to the food they are a jack of all trades with only the mexican being real good. Watch out for the sushi it is not what God intended it to be. We laid around the pool the majority of the time and drank. Depending on the proximity of you are to the bar reflects the amount of time they get back to you with your drink..sometimes a little watered down or not so cold...but it was about 94 degrees and muggy..big time.
The spa is gorgeous. We got the couples massage at the beach and some manicure pedicure. If you stayed I think 5 days or more they gave you $100 off. Still it was expensive $120 per person for the massage on the beach. It was alright....I probably would not do that again. They follow that up after or before the message with a hydrotherapy...steam room, sauna, then various spouts nailing you in the head or back with waterfall like experience. Then the manicure stuff was alright I guess...I just went because my wife wanted to....she said she has had better here in NC. On to the water sports.... They have windsurfing, paddle boats, etc..for free with the exception of a $2 per person fee they charge saying it goes to help mother nature and the reef...sure. We signed up for a scuba trip..now that was PHENOMENAL! They have various packages with a jungle tour with snorkling...that sucked. If I could go back I would do the scuba only and in Cozumel. We spent about an hour in the pool learning and then had a reef dive off the shore near the hotel. Each dive lasts about 40 minutes. A couple of days later they picked us up for the dive in Cozumel. Long day but worth it....Two spectacular dives in crystal clear and full of fish dives. Make sure you get the open water dive done at the hotel or you have to go through the class again there....luckily we did and we had 2 dives while the other people had one. Again I cannot recommend the diving enough. The hotel has plenty to keep you busy or you do not have to do anything...they have daily bus trips taking you for shopping or even rifle shooting. They even had tequila tastings, spanish lessons, water aerobics...pretty much everything. Bottom line the place was magnificent looking the people were always smiling and attentive. It was all inclusive but they charge you $3 for 15 minutes to use the internet. We did not make any calls back home or anything so that was nice. I still ended up spending @ $900 for all of our extracurricular activities.

6  Thank RaleighShaw
Reviewed September 22, 2007

My wife and I just returned from Excellence Riviera Maya. It was our second visit to the area and the first to this resort. Our experience began with the cool towels offered upon exiting our taxi. We then went to check in and before we got to the check in desk, we were offered glasses of Champagne - Nice start!

We were early, so our room wasn't ready. We left our bags in their care and headed off to eat lunch at the Grill restaurant.

We were greeted promptly and guided to our seats by Pablo our waiter. Pablo (we would learn) was also our waiter for breakfast and some times dinner. He had our newspaper ready at breakfast and always remembered my name.

Check in is at 3 pm. but our room was not ready, so the manager upgraded our room – we were very satisfied. Our room had an excellent view of the pools and was close to everything we wanted to do. We had a nice king size bed, inside sitting area, as well as a balcony to people watch or just enjoy the night breezes.

All restaurants had excellent food. There are several wine labels in the inclusive package but you can order from numerous others on the list. We decided we liked the house wines enough to drink them most of the time but did order from the wine list once. Service was top notch. My wife and I eat out regularly at downtown Chicago restaurants and I can say without hesitation that service here easily matches most of those places.

At night, there was always some kind of entertainment, including movies, live singing, dancing and magic. The entertainment staff really worked to get everybody to have a good time and the waiters were always making sure you had a drink if you wanted one.
Entertainment schedules were always delivered to our room as well as posted by the Stars Theatre.

My wife and I really enjoyed the spa. We were told to get to the spa an hour prior to our massages. After changing, we were guided through a water circuit. We went through different stations including steam room, sauna, whirlpool and several showers, then we went to our individual massage rooms. The experience was very relaxing and well worth the money.

We enjoyed snorkeling right off the local beach. Although there are packages to go to other reefs, the nice thing about the one in front of the property is that it only takes about 10 minutes to get there and the rest of your 2 hours is spent snorkeling. My wife and I decided that we would rather do this than spend one hour going somewhere else, but that is a personal choice. We did see quite a variety of fish, colorful coral, and even a small shark. The boat that took us out was small compared to other snorkeling tours we have been on, so it was a smaller group, which meant we got plenty of attention from the crew.

The beach in front of the resort was very nice. I had read several reviews on this web site that indicated a problem with sea grass. Yes, there is some sea grass on the sand, but it was not a significant issue to us. Every morning we would go for a walk on the beach and there was a tractor with a device that scooped up the sea grass. The result is that there are small amounts of the stuff, but it is minimal and it’s on the sand….not in the water!

One issue that others have mentioned is ants. There are VERY small ants, but I don’t think this is due to a lack of care on the resort’s part. Picture your room with a patio door to the exterior, which is a tropical landscape. Unless you plan on never opening that door, I don’t see how some sort of insect isn’t going to make it into your room. People that have an issue with ants at a picnic need not apply! We stayed at the Fairmont earlier this year and it was no different. The bottom line is, they didn’t spoil our fun, or disturb our sleep whatsoever.

I really enjoyed the variety of foods offered. I especially enjoy seafood and there was plenty available at the various restaurants. I also enjoyed the champagne breakfasts and the variety of omelets, fruit, cereals, croissants, Mexican breakfast items, etc.

Overall, my wife and I agreed we had an excellent experience at this resort.
We would go back again without hesitation. We also feel others will enjoy themselves as much as we did, and saw others doing the same. There were a lot of smiles at that resort, a lot of happy people enjoying themselves and I feel Excellence is an excellent value.

10  Thank gueroChicago
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Upon our arrival, we were greeted with champagne and got to check in early. We knew we were going to be treated like a King and Queen. Latecia, Alfonso, and Jesus added so much fun to sports and activities. They were all very kind and always made us feel welcome. The food was so incredible that we couldn't decide where to eat. Chez Isabelle has the best creme brulee we have EVER had. Gustavo was the best server...giving suggestions of wine and food. We can't wait to go back for our one year Anniversary! We highly recommend this resort!!

7  Thank CandyNj
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed 8 days at Excellence Riviera for our honeymoon on Septmeber 9, 2007. We had a wonderful time! The property was immaculate with it's flora and fauna so beautifully maintained! The many pools wiggled their way through the property, leaving the guests to swim, float or raft their way through these beautiful waters. The property overlooked the ocean. We loved the entertainment staff - especiallly Leticia Rosas and Alfonso Parra. Leticia had many talents and I felt motivated to go on her kayak tour, take Merenge dance lessons and jam out in aqua aerobics! It was wonderfully quiet and we met many other honeymooners! Since we didnt want to do an all day tour, we rented a car and drove to nearby attractions. WE recommend the town of Playa del Carmen - it was a hip town on the beach. Bring your money for souviners - but not for the store hagglers who practically drag you into their stores!!
The two downfalls are that my husband and I would have preferred more dinner buffets - especially outside. All of the food was in restaurants. Secondly, the ocean had a lot of seaweed.
I would definately recommend this place as a honeymoon spot. If you stay in the Excellence club as we did, you get a bottle of champane, dinner on the beach, free couples massage and more!! Good luck - Leah and Scott:-))

Stayed: September 2007
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Excellence Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!