“Incredible, went for a wedding, did not want to leave...”

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Incredible, went for a wedding, did not want to leave...”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I went to Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita for a wedding. The ceremony was out on the pier. It had been windy earlier that day, and after setting up all the chairs they all had blown out on the ocean. They tried to move it on the beach, but the bride and groom decided we all stand during the ceremony. It was purely the most beautiful (the wind had slowed down a bit) incredible wedding I had ever been to, so gorgeous and intimate (25 people or so). We all cried tears of joy. If you are getting married here, get married on the pier.

The service was impeccable. If you needed something, it was done. If you wanted something to eat or drink, there was no delay. Our room was great, on the 3rd floor, no plunge pool (which are on the 1st floor). We had such a great view. The spa was nice, and Gabby is a fabulous masseuse. The staff here is kind, really listens to what you need etc.

There were some kids here, teens, and toddlers, but very few. It is more an adult hotel. If you want to bring kids, it is not one of those hotels that has a lot to do for small kids and teens. There is no teen club nor disco. Fortunately, since we were at a wedding, there was dance floor on the beach with lots of music. But this is not the norm---

The food was incredible. Delicious. The interesting part of this, is going to an all inclusive resort, there are usually those buffets where one gains a few pounds a day. I have been Iberostar and Sandos, but of those trips were with with the kids. At Zoetrey, there is only one buffet in the morning at breakfast, the rest I had to order throughout the day. I seriously think I lost a pound or two. The food is not typical fattening food--it is gourmet and delicious. I did read a review before I went the stated "Went to bed starving.."
I could see if you had not ordered dinner by a certain time you would in trouble.
It is just something to be aware of should you visit this hotel.

Also, the lock on our sliding door was fixed one night and then fell apart the following night. We did feel safe here. Up the road, is a family friendly resort Azul and then a nudist resort called Desire.

I would highly reccommend Zoetry.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kar7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Korean first
Brighton
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We rely on Trip Advisor before booking and taking our trips, so we'll provide the details of the trip we returned from yesterday -- the awesome and the not quite awful. There were some definite positives, but there were some negatives as well.

This was our 5th trip to the Riviera Maya in the past 3 years. Although we have stayed at 3 different resorts previously (one of them twice) they were all owned by the same management company. Our prior experiences have been nothing short of incredible (we've referred several other friends and family members to those resorts), but we had found Zoetry on the Northwest Vacations website two years ago and had been monitoring it as a possible vacation desitnation ever since. In addition, we thought it was important to try a resort not owned by the same management company to determine whether or not we were staying at the best possible places.

Let me start by saying that for whatever reason, the Zoetry's prices were more in line with what we had been paying for our other trips, when I began searching for options earlier this year. We prefer "boutique" (smaller) resorts and there is usually a premium associated with that, but not as big a difference as we had seen at the Zoetry prevously. We also prefer having access to the pool directly from our room's patio, so alhough Zoetry didn't have "swim-up suites" the private plunge pool seemed like a good alternative. In February, we went ahead and booked June 28th - July 3rd at the Zoetry.

One of the perks we were really looking forward to was the private airport transportation provided by the resort -- a definite plus! However, we had "assumed" (and you know what that does) that the White Lincoln Navigator would be waiting at the curb for us when we came out of the airport. Suffice it to say that it wasn't. The Zoetry transportation coordinator put us off to the side in the 90+ heat to wait for our ride. She joked that it would only be a few minutes, which in Mexico meant that it would be closer to 30 minutes. She wan't far off. About 20 minutes later we saw a Navigator drive by in the traffic circle. At the same time, another couple walked out of the airport and up to the Zoetry rep and she ushered all 4 of us out to the parked vehicles. At first we were thinking that they were going to put all 4 of us in the same vehicle -- not very "private" but better than waiting in the heat. Instead, she steered the freshly arrived couple up to the Navigator and directed us to an older model, dark blue Expedition. My normally laid back husband almost came unglued because he thought it was disrepectful to make us wait and then put us in something other than the white Navigator. Despite being a Customer Service Director by profession, although I was a little disappointed, I was just happy to get out of the heat! Our driver, Arturo, was great so we quickly forgot about the wait and the switch to the Expedition.

We arrived at the resort after a quick 20-minute champagne ride where they were waiting for us out front with green tea, iced tea. I'm not a tea drinker, but it was delicious! One of the guest services representatives approached us and told us not to worry about the luggage...she would give us a quick tour and then take us to our room for check-in, which is a big plus of a boutique resort for those of you who have not stayed at one before. We've never had to wait for our room at a boutique resort and they always do in-room check-in...so nice! Things went downhill quickly when we arrived at our room. You may have already read some reviews referring to the "weak" air conditioning and uncomfortable beds. In fact, I had emailed the resort ahead of time expressing my concern. When we walked into our room, it was pretty obvious to us (though not to the guest services rep) that there was no air at all. She insisted that it was on and that we could keep the room more comfortable by keeping the doors and blinds closed all the time. No way lady...we were bothing "glisteing" profusely within 3 minutes of arriving in our room. We quickly turned on the overhead fans and made certain that the air conditioning was set on "high." After an hour there was no improvement and my 6'6" husband could easily put his hand up in front of the ceiling registers to confirm that there was no air coming out of any of the vents. We quickly opened the patio doors (both of them) to usher in the 30 mile an hour winds -- a parting gift from tropical storm Alex and a definite blessing in disguise! We were quickly rewarded with a refreshing blast of air off the ocean, but were concerned about what we would do after dark, as there are no screens on the patio doors, which is typical of the resorts along the Riviera Maya. My husband then walked down to Guest Services, where he was informed that indeed, the air conditioning was out altogether because of an accident over the weekend that had taken out a power pole. They expected to have the air back on about 6 or 7 pm that evening.

We were very comfortable for the remainder of the afternoon, as we stayed outside in the wind and in our plunge pool. I called maintenance during the afternoon because the light attached to the overhead fan in the bedroom was loose and rattling very loudly. They said they would send someone right away. By dinnertime, no one had shown up, so we quickly dressed for dinner and I called again. This time, the guy showed up and went to work on the fan. He actually commented on how warm the room was, so he also crawled up through the ceiling access panel and tried to get more air into the room. My husband again walked down to Guest Services and was assured that we should feel a noticeable difference by the time we returned from dinner. While mainteance was in our room, I also pointed out that the toilet seat had come loose and was almost at a 45 degree angle. When he left our room, he took the toilet seat with him. I was trying to make light of the sitation during dinner, as my husband was still very upset. I was joking that we might have a bigger problem than the air if we returned to the room and still didn't have a toilet seat! ;-)

Although the room remained very warm overnight, the bed was actually quite comfortable. I learned the next day from the resident manager I had corresponded with prior to arriving, that they had begun changing out the mattresses and he made sure that we received one of the rooms where the mattress had already been changed out. Unfortunately, the new mattress did not totally make up for the lack of air overnight. The air was working the next day, but it is "minimal" as reported and does not come close to removing the humidity and lowering the temperature to what we have become used to in our stays on the Riviera Maya, Be aware that although they are working to permanently address the issue, we were advised that it would be the end of the year at the earliest, as they are waiting for increased ampage from the local power company.

Some of the positives... The room is huge and VERY nicely appointed. Also, when they say oceanfront, they aren't kidding. The ocean could not have been more than 40 feet from our patio. As a result, we spent every possible moment sitting on our patio (including ordering room service for breakfast every day) or in our plunge pool enjoying the view and the sound of the surf. In addition, I asked prior to our arrival if it would be possible to have our mini fridge stocked with Coke Zero instead of Coke Light (Diet Coke). I'm not a coffee drinker and our last resort had done that for me when I asked if it would be possible to get a Coke Zero. In short, if it's a reasonable request and they can easily fulfill it, they probably will. The food was also wonderful, no exceptions, including the food that we ordered in Hippos, the open air bar next to the pool. Again, our only issue with the restaurants was the unfortunate lack of air conditioning. Be sure to sit right under a vent, or near a doorwall...they tend to keep them open most of the time. They specially decorated a table in La Canoa for our anniversary dinner and te food was marvelous, but we couldn't wait to get out of there, as they tucked us into a private booth area with little to no ventilation. As a result, we couldn't eat fast enough so that we could get out of there. The "Maya Reflexology Massage" that I received from Jesus at the spa, was excellente'! Be sure to request him if you get the chance.

For the most part, the staff, especially the waitstaff, was eager to please and meet your every need. For example, we met Jaime ("Hi me") when we laid out on the beach. He didn't approve of the chairs we were sitting in, so he quickly replaced them, covered them in fresh towels and returned a few minutes later with shots of Tequila and chasers that we didn't order, but which were surprisingly refreshing! He is Mayan and very proud of it, so he spent the next two days teaching us some of the Mayan language. Some other staff to look for include Chris (La Canoa), Adiel (Kaax), Juan (room service), Cecile (gift shop), and Rueben (food and beverage manager). The only drawback we found is that some of the staff are so eager to please, that they might not tell you when they don't understand you. We certainly don't expect everyone to speak perfect english, or even understand it. However, they need to tell you when that's the case so that like us, you can make use of your limited spanish OR ask for someone who understands english better. Case in point, our first day in Hippos, we ordered lunch and drinks and then my husband gave our waiter a VERY generous tip and asked if he could bring an appetizer platter and (2) electric lemonades to our room. The waiter enthusiastically agreed with the request, but never showed up. After more than an hour my husband walked back down to the bar only to find out that the waiter had left for the day. When we saw him the next day, it became clear that his English was more limited than we originally thought. We were only surprised because at the other resorts where we've stayed, we found that the employees who directly interact with the guests speak and understand English fluently; they've even told us that their employers provide them with classs. Again, we're visiting their country, so we're sensitive about not assuming that they will be fluent in English, but to be honest, we hadn't run across this issue before.

So...would I recommend the Zoetry to a friend? The answer is "yes," but only with full disclosure of our own experience. Will we plan to stay there again? The jury is still out, but we would certainly not return, especially during the summer, until after the air conditioning issue has been addressed.

10 Thank wendywwBrighton
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The experience was very disappointing, after spending almost a week at this hotel in June, we were without power 3 times and the airconditioning was inoperable 50% of the time. In addition, when the airconditioning was operating, it was ineffective and our room was never cool. We were unable to open the windows at night because the windows did not have screens, therefore, allowing creatures to enter our rooms, including bugs, lizards, and bats.

The food in the restaurant was marginal, one night the lobster was inedible and the chef came out and took our names but never followed through with our complaints.

The grounds are lovely, however, this is not a luxury hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel and I do not plan on returning.

• Stayed June 2010
9 Thank MsPMG
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Let me first say that the water is crystal clear, however the natural seaweed grasses happen to grow in the part of the ocean that happens to be right in front of the property. This seemed to prevent most guests from swimming. It also alters the appearance of clear torquise/green water in these areas. However just off the pier is sandy ocean floor and thus the typical torquise water one expects in the mayan riveria.
Regarding the rooms, my husband and I thought they were very well appointed and the tub in the bathroom was the largest I've seen in a hotel yet. I really thought the room was lovely and had no bug (inside or outside of the room) or ac issues at all.
We arrived at zoetry on a thursday and departed on a tuesday. For us it was a bit too long of a stay in this type of property. This is truly personal preference, but we feel this is a perfect location for a long weekend. This was our first all inclusive and even though it is a very relaxing and lovely property we did feel the need for a bit more variety in the food. We did go to Playa del Carmen one day and that was a nice to get out for the day.
The complimentary catamaran ride is a very nice feature. We did not take advantage of all of the spa amenities and perhaps it could have enhanced our experience further if we did so.
All in all zoetry is lovely, the things I would change is more variety with the food (the grill at night was our fav better than the raved about La Canoa in our opinion), better quality cocktails/drinks, and if it were near a more appealing swimming beach as we do love to swim in the ocean and the primary reason we choose to vacation in the carribbean.
The service has always been great at the places we've stayed in Mexico and this is no exception here. We would recommend to friends in family for a long weekend trip that is for pure relaxation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RachelAtlanta079
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We just left Zoetry after a 10 day stay 2 weeks ago...and....we are SO READY to return! We miss all of our friends at Zoetry already!

Our driver met us at the Airport and off we went within 2 minutes of escaping the Customs Area! Champagne and Gipsy Kings fwere provided for our short ride to the Resort and this was a great way to kick off our vacation.

We want to give a special thanks and Hello to Miguel, Pepe, Jaime and Fredrico at the Pool who took Special care of us each day......the level of service provided by these employees was Fantastic! Drinks are Premium Brand and lunch poolside was a treat each day.

We also want to give a Special Thanks to Alphonso who was our waiter for our "Romantic Dinner for Two" that we had on the pier. It was a wonderful evening and meal!

The waiters for breakfast and dinner all went out of their way to provide outstanding service as well......We ate at La Canoa several evenings and every dish we tried was great!

The sushi bar open poolside each day was a favorite of ours as well.

Our room was large and the view from the balcony of the ocean was very nice! We kept the louvered doors over the windows closed during the day and this kept the temperature in the room at a comfortable level. We had no problem with the bed being on a stone slab...we were so tired and full each evening...we would drop off to sleep quickly!

We did the 1 hour catamaran cruise one evening and this was a relaxing way to spend time before dinner. They did provide "adult" beverages for the trip.

All in all....we were thrilled with the service we received. As long as you remember where you are and that vacations are for relaxation.....you will have a wonderful experience!

We look forward to a return visit SOON!

4 Thank melanieandjim4ever
minneapolis
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I've traveled alot and have never been treated so well by everyone working there. We didn't want a disco/casino/nightlife getaway......and we got EXACTLY what we dreamed of. I wanted to give my niece some days of luxurious peace & quiet. I can't remember ever being happier......whenever I've smiled more........and I have NEVER been hugged by the employees when I left. We are returning in Jan 2011, because it was perfection. (As a side note, their spa staff is exceptional.)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank admake
London, UK
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I was a bit nervous booking an 'all inclusive' holiday for our honeymoon after some of the rants that people had previously written on here. However, I was absolutely and totally won over the minute we arrived at Zoetry. The navigator pickup went as planned until I spilled my champagne on the driver. Oops. He just laughed and poured me another glass. Cheers, mate!

The resort was not to full capacity when we arrived which suited us down to the ground. Most guests were honeymooners, couples getting away and a few anniversaries. The resort is relaxed, uber friendly, and a fantastic place to spend a week. I didnt' venture away from the pool for the first few days which was amazing. Get the chips and fresh pico de gallo - delicious.

We loved our room (with plunge pool) and weren't terribly bothered that the A/C wasn't ice cold. It was cool enough...coming from London, we enjoyed the constant heat. Some people have complained on here about ice which to me seems a bit trivial, but I guess that's down to personal tastes. As we'd been travelling for a few weeks, we did utilise the laundry service which was fantastic and our clothes came back folded and hung with care and smelling fresh.

The food was lovely - personal favourites were huevos rancheros and the empanadas at Kaax. La Canoa tended to be SUPER hot in the evenings and our plunge pool came in handy then. The mango fettucine was amazing there and my husband really loved the steak. Make sure to go to Kaax on Wednesdays when they do Mayan Cuisine, it's really really good.

The one thing I would say is if you're looking for a buzzy nightlife, this is not the place. It is chilled, food-focused, and even though the drinks are included I don't think I got drunk once. Most of the bars close at 10.30 (which was fine with us), but I suppose you could always carry-on drinking from the mini-bar in your room!

Special thanks to Federico the amazing pool waiter who always had a smile on his face, Omar at Kaax who remembered our English tea every morning and Tico at the pool bar who was just the sweetest guy - loved chatting with him.

Would absolutely recommend this resort to friends!

4 Thank missjenni
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!