“Another wonderfuly visit to Paraiso de la Bonita”

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I were at Zoetry the first week in May. It was our second visit (last July, also). Our first trip there was so good that we were almost afraid to return in case it did not live up to our expectations. But we think it was even better!
Our room this time was not so close to the beach (some lawn and palm trees in between), but since it was 95 degrees, we did not want to spend much time on the patio anyway. And we could still here the pounding surf in the night! This time we had an iPod docking stereo which is very nice.

The food and service were just great. I have a dietary restriction (celiac, so no wheat) and the food and beverage manager talked to me when we arrived and made me feel very confident. They actually made me wheat-free little rolls that were very tasty - a treat I rarely get when dinning out here in the US. Our only room service request was a breakfast on the beach in front of our room and it was just wonderful. They brought out a table and chairs and set us up under a shady palm tree. We loved all the restaurants! We were there over Cinco de Mayo and Kaax had a special Mayan menu that was very interesting and tasty. El Chiringuito had the most amazing grilled chicken or fish with peppers and onions. The lamb chops at both La Canoa and Kaax were great. My husband liked the beef carpaccio and I liked the seabass carpaccio.
We did the wine tasting and it was in the La Canoa wine cellar with the sommelier. It was fun and informative. We drank the ‘included’ wines by the glass for dinners, which were decent (mostly Mexican and South American). The wine-by-the-bottle list looked really good, though, with some interesting wines and quite of few that were not too much of an extra charge.

The pool service was great: Frederico and the other guys run around setting up and moving umbrellas and bringing towels and serving drinks. And in the afternoon the pizzas, guac/salsa/chips, and sushi come magically out of the restaurants straight to your lounge chair as you request them.

I did yoga almost every morning and the guest instructor, Nancy, was so nice. We did a different kind of yoga every day (basics, power, yoga-lotes, etc…), sometimes on the pier and sometimes near the fitness center. Each day there were a few little activities like bocce ball on the beach or a Spanish lesson at the bar.

We really loved the Thalasso pool (warm salt water) and the indoor Jacuzzi and cold plunge pool. We each had a massage with Jesus at the spa and it was amazing. You get a 20 min free massage or can get a full massage for 20% off, instead.

The beach is cleaned off of seaweed in the mid morning each day. Since there is a coral reef, the ocean in front of the resort is very calm. I am an ocean wimp and enjoyed bobbing around out there a few times. This time we brought some water shoes, so did not have to worry about the few rocks on the bottom.

A few comments about past issues that I have read about:
- If the SUV is not there when you arrive (happened to us this time, customs line was so slow!), just call and they will be there asap
- Bugs: it’s the tropics! I have mosquitoes in my yard in Illinois, too! Bring some Off-wipes.
- AC: keep your shutters and shades drawn and fans on full while you are out.
- Not-so-cold minibar – just call and they will bring you a bucket of ice.
- Hard beds: we like a firm bed, so were completely happy
- Kids: see saw none

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,356)

Reviewed May 8, 2010

Restaurants: KAAX food was 4 - 4.5*.
La Canoa food was 5* but we had a moody waiter. Took us 13 minutes and a trip to the Maitre'D to obtain a piece of bread product. All this while 3 waiters were in a big conversation in the middle of the restaurant.
Pool side grill: great service, food 3.5 - 4*
Hippos bar was great. Had a drink at the table within a few minutes after ordering.

POOL: Great service. Just had to appear at the pool side lounge chair and they were there putting towels down bringing an umbrella for shade. After that they asked every half hour what drink we want. The pool staff and the Pool side grill had the happiest employees. They always had plenty of lounge chairs (at least 30% open).
Beside the main pool there is the outdoor spa pool (open to all) where the pool temperature was in the low 80's in the morning but it was heated and by the mid afternoon it reached 95F (35C) It had great high pressure jets.
Ocean temp was 81F.

Extras (for free) : Free telephone from the rooms to anywhere in the world.
Great BULGARY toiletries. Free Laundry service. Free internet WI-FI but very slow.
Free catamaran sunset trip.
Suggest to bring a lots of $1 bills and a few $5s. Tip a dollar for all drinks, 1-2 for pool side lounge setup. $5 for the restaurant if the service is good. Do not tip if it is not good.
Transportation: we had arrangement with Grey lines (their biggest company around Cancun) but one can never trust them when they will pick you up. They were 40 minutes late picking us up.

3  Thank utazo
Reviewed May 7, 2010

GOOD: The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. The grounds are nicely landscaped and clean. The service when it was good was very good with the staff being attentive to all your needs. Everyone is very friendly and says hi to you. Omar the waiter was so much fun and he was worth tipping (plan to tip all the time it's expected). There were no bugs others complain of although we did find a dead newt on our window shade . The beds are hard but I loved them! The pool side chairs were so comfortable as were the beach beds but plan to stake out one very early.
BAD: The rooms LEAK. We originally had an upper room with outside stairs. The stairs have no handrail and are slippery. Our ceiling leaked as it rained for 1 1/2 days. We asked to move for safety reasons and they charged us $100 per night extra for the new room. Disappointing plus the new room leaked too! The food was only average and it was hit or miss if you got what you ordered or if it came out hot or not. The snorkeling is an onsite vendor but separate from the resort. The equipment is substandard and the "guide" directed us onto (not over) the reef and I slammed my stomach on coral. I would not recommend the snorkeling.
THE UGLY; Zoetry advertises their spa as their own premiere signature facility ...UNTIL you have a problem with it. Then they distance themselves and say it is leased. I went for the free skin analysis and in addition to that I got a prejudiced opinion on people of size, a dissertation on the US Health care system completely erroneous by the way, suggestions on how to have surgery because I would fail other attempts to rectify myself. I did not solicit this Doctor's opinion on anything other than my facial skin. In the US we call that Malpractice, Dr. Ancheyta. This totally soured my experience and ruined my vacation......and all I got was an apology from the resident manager and one other manager.....umm that does not cut it. So sorry I cannot recommend this resort.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank snowbirdsw/kids
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My husband and I just got married and were so excited to spend time at this resort as we heard a lot of good reviews but the experience turned out really negatively we wanted to leave the resort as soon as we could. There are many good things about the resort - the facility and the rooms are beautiful, but we had so many bad experience with the service and attitude that all the positive things can not offset them. Below are some of the pros and cons:

Pros:
*The hotel is very beautiful and feels very intimate. We fell in love with the facility and were very excited at the beginning.
*The room was large and very romantic. The bath tub was very large and good for private romantic bath and the belcony oversee the ocean was great.
*The location was good. It is not too far away from the airport.
*The food is generally excellent. Services at the restaurants were all excellent.
*The attention of detail of the person who cleaned the room was great. We felt the person spent a lot of time and attention in our room.

Cons (a list of our negative experiences. I never had so many in a hotel and I travel 2-5 times a year):

*We went to dinner and they didn't turn on the AC. My husband and other men in the restaurant was sweating. When we went back to our room, the AC didn't work too well and it was super hot in the room, so we called front desk for some help. Instead of getting help right away, the front desk person asked, "Did you complain about this before?" I was really surprised. Then the person asked, "did you move from Secret Maroma?" (the AC didn't work so they thought I was transfered from Secret Maroma hotel). I said no and was wondering why this was relevant to AC not working in my room. And the front desk person asked again, "I didn't get the time you are leaving. When are you leaving?" I was getting really impatient since the room was really hot and I was asking all these questions that's irrelevant to what I asked. Finally, after all these questions, the front desk said he would send someone over to fix the problem. The attitude and bad service here was surprisingly bad at a 5 diamond hotel. I was on vacation with my husband but we felt so uncomfortable after this.

*We wanted to use the locker room to lock our things by the pool side. We asked the front desk and the front desk said they didn't know and refer us to the bar. Employees at the bar didn't know either. We ended up asking 5-6 people and were standing for 30 mins to simply find someone showing us how the lock works.

*Service at the bar was bad. We waited for a long time to be helped for ordering drinks. We were ignored for 10-15 minutes until we had to go out of our way to ask for drinks. We tiped the person and got ok service for the next 1 hour as we continued to tip for other services. We got a feeling employees were serving aggressively because of the tip but really bad attitude.

*We had lunch and came back to the pool side again. This time we had to wait for 20 minutes for the towel. When the towel finally arrived, it was just dropped on the chair. The employee were helping another couple to set up the towel on the chiars but not ours. We feel left out and wonder what happenend. We wanted to order drinks but were never asked and again had to go out of our way to ask for drinks after waiting for 15 minutes.

*The was a bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room, which was nice. But the champagne was warm and not chilled. In a 5 diamond hotel you'll expect it to be cold in a bucket of ice. So we called room service for the ice. We waited for almost 30 minutes for the ice. Our room was pretty close to the lobby and we were not impressed by how slow it takes. We stayed in other resorts in Mexico but never waited this long for just the ice. I also ask wine glasses for the champagne but they gave us water glasses for the wine. Wouldn't a 5 star hotel give you champagne glasses?

*The hotel property is pretty empty when we were there. It feel like less than 50-60% were occupied. When we went to dinner at 7:45pm, there were only 2 other couples. We were wondering if everyone had room service. When were left around 10:00pm, there were more people, but still only 7 couples. It felt too empty and kinda weird to eat dinner with nobody around the resort.

Overall, we think this resort has a 5 star facility but 3 star service. Many of the hotel staff are very nice but also half of them have attitude problems. There are other places that's just as beautiful but you'll get excellent services. After, you are on vacation to enjoy, not to suffer and hoping to leave the resort as soon as you can.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank silverorchid_2010
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful time on our honeymoon at Zoetry. It was everything we expected! I would definitely recommend Zoetry to anyone who is looking to take a low-key relaxing vacation at a small, very clean, all-inclusive resort with excellent service and great food and drinks.
I used trip advisor as my main source of information when looking for a honeymoon location so I’m going to go into more detail. If you have any additional questions for me please feel free to email me. First, please check out the Zoetry website – the resort is exactly as described by the website – what you see and read is exactly what you get!
There were a few issues people commented about that worried me when reading the trip advisor reviews so I will comment on them:
Bugs – there were a few mosquitoes on the very warm, less windy days. We saw them on our sliding glass doors, but they were never an issue for us - when outside, the wind always kept them away. We never even came close to needing bug spray. Neither flies nor ants were an issue either.
Beds – they were firm, but I wouldn’t have even noticed had there not been so many comments made on TA. I found our bed very comfortable.
Plunge Pool – Ours was much larger than I expected (room Alwar). It had a large step all around it and was overall about 3 feet deep. It was clean and a good temperature. It was mostly private but open to the beach and if people were on the balcony they may have been able to see down into it. Not a big issue at all.
Checks/Tipping – We were only given bills at two dinners when we ordered off the wine list and one for a massage (not the free ones, an additional one we paid for). Free wine is always available and the wine list clearly lists what the additional cost it. The two wine checks were absolutely no surprise to us. We ate and drank ALL we wanted, whenever, and wherever we wanted. No checks, no uncomfortable situations. The massage list clearly states an additional 15% for gratitude will be added to your bill. There is a spot for an addition tip but no pressure to leave one. We did choose to tip often but this was always by cash, not by signing a tip on any bill.
Air Conditioning – We left the AC on full blast all day long because it didn’t cool down so well. The first day we left the blinds open and the room was a bit warm. After that we closed the blinds during the daytime, when we weren’t in the room, and the temperature was always fine. But I can see how the rooms could be warm if you didn’t put a little effort into helping out the A/C. We like to sleep with it really cols so sometimes we were a little warm at night. Zoetry should probably work on getting better units.
Seaweed - There is some seaweed but they keep it as clean as possible. Seriously, I don’t understand how anyone could complain about it!
Private Transfer – Was awesome! Everyone else was getting into white vans and we had a pristine Navigator waiting on us with a fabulous driver, champagne, chocolate and strawberries. The 15 minute ride could not have been better!
Slow Restaurant Service – Food service at La Canoa (the AAA/4 diamond restaurant) was VERY slow. You were given a lot of attention by the waiters, but the food just takes forever. I was told there wasn’t enough kitchen staff – which I believe. We left dinner half way through one night and ordered room service. One night it took so long to order we just ordered a salad and dessert (so tasty) and left. After that we stopped eating there. There were no issues with the other restaurants/bars. Service and food was always exceptional and they have enough options that not eating at La Canoa wasn’t a problem at all.
Besides service at La Canoa the only two issues we had were that we couldn’t figure out how to use the laundry service (even after 2 phone calls for help) and we had to ask for more shampoo and conditioner. Not bad at all for being at a resort for 7 days!
We loved so much about Zoetry. A few of our favorite parts were:
Breakfast – Every morning I looked forward to it! So many options and so good! We ate mostly traditional American food for breakfast (they offer Mexican & American on most menus). Started with a bagel and some meat and cheese, then had a fruit plate, yogurt, and scrambled eggs with bacon and hash potatoes. Also coffee, cappuccino, orange juice and watermelon juice. Amazing!
The Grill – All you wanted off the grill all day long! The calzones, pizza, chips and dips, and chicken and vegetables are all great! I love to eat and I don’t understand how anyone could say they didn’t have enough here. There is food available all day. Large portions and VERY good!
The Drinks/Bartenders/Pool Guys/Hippos & Library Bar – All fabulous. You could drink whatever you wanted - frozen drinks, drink of the day, shots, and all top quality liquor if you asked. The pool guys were SO friendly serving you all day long with a smile! Sitting at the pool drinking, reading, and socializing with other guests and the pool staff was our favorite part. If you don’t enjoy relaxing at the pool, Zoetry probably isn’t the place for you.
Bathrooms – May seem strange for me to list this but the bathrooms all over the resort (and in our suite) were gorgeous. They all have sitting areas, toilet rooms, showers, changing rooms, lockers and are huge a very clean. Definitely 5 stars.
Zoetry, in my opinion, is a perfect all-inclusive resort. We were looking for a quiet, clean, AI resort with great food & drinks and excellent service and got it. If you are looking for a party place this isn’t where to go. Don’t get me wrong – it was a lot of fun and we felt like we were partying the whole time! If you’re going only for the 5 star status, AAA/4 diamond dining and don’t drink I don’t know if you will get your money’s worth. If you need activities going on all the time this isn’t the place for you either (they do have a few daily activities and add more the list when it rains). But if you want to relax at the pool with an occasional massage (they are expensive!), great service (they will do anything for you!), good food, and a fun time with your travel companion and a few other guests (and the staff) - this is it! We will not go to any other AI resorts on the gulf coast of Mexico. After all the hotel research I did, and spending a week at Zoetry, I can’t imagine it could get any better than what we experienced. We will be going back next year for our anniversary!

5  Thank scooch327
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Time Spent: April 25th - May 2nd
Reason: Honeymoon
Suite Type: Luxury couples suite (one of their largest suites with plunge pool)
Travel Experience (for comparison's sake): Moderate-Heavy in general, several other AI's in Mexico

The long and short of it was a great trip and a wonderful honeymoon. Zoetry picks up a lot of recommendations, and their rep seemed to fit the bill of the type of experience my wife and I were looking for. I'm won't go into an autobiography of our day-by-day, save to say it was very enjoyable and we'll be going back. The greater purpose of my review is to pass on my take of the up's and downs of Zoetry (Paraiso Bonita), especially as compared to the other reviews I've read on this site before visiting, and detail, IMO as the kids say, who will probably get the most out of this venue.

The Upfront In-a-Nutshell+/- = Very solid place whose level of enjoyment will/can be determined by how much you pay, when you go, and the understanding Zoetry is best suited for upscale, low-key RR.. If you can swing a trip at $600-$800 per day, you can dig it anytime. If you're paying $1,000+ per day, you may still dig it if you fit in with what's described in my more detailed description below, or you visit in their 'Prime Time' months of November-January (Wintering NA couples) or June-August.

What Zoetry does/who is it for: It's a limited-suite (90 I believe), quiet, upscale RR haven. A beautiful pool area, top-rung to just below top-rung food for an AI, quality rooms, excellent spa/Gym. It's demo ranges from late 20's/early30's couples (lot of honeymooners mixed in that group) through older. A prime local for folks looking for drinks, sun, and a little spa action in relatively quiet and laid-back surroundings.

Importantly, Zoetry is a place that gives you, for an AI, a rather luxurious but intimate backdrop, and you move at your own pace. If you're looking for a working holiday, beach parties, all-hours nightlife, or constant on-site entertainment options---wrong place. That's not to say the excursions and on-site entertainment are absent, or that Zoetry is in anyway an old-fogey spot, but simply that it's not aimed, by design, to scratch your 'Wild On' itch.

You'll best enjoy Zoetry if you: *Don't need/want to be spoon-fed activities
*Value an upscale, laid-back surrounding
*Enjoy swimming/Spa type RR
*Enjoy socializing with other couples
*Don't demand 24-hour bar and food (ie. want filet mignon and three vodkas at 3 AM)
*Enjoy socializing with staff and wiling to tip

Highpoints: Beautiful rooms, awesome landscaping, very friendly staff, solid food. For an AI, truly upscale amenities and features. Just on looks, you don't doubt the 5 star ratings. One of the best places in Mexico/Caribbean I've been to for first-rate, personal RR.

Criticism Fair and Unfair I've read:
-Quality of the beach seems to come in for a lot of knocks. I guess you can file this under 'Somewhat technically true', but in fairness this isn't a 'Beach Party Resort' to begin with. The beach, as is, is perfectly serviceable for laying out and swimming. In the grand scheme of things it's a 6 out of 10; rustic, but in no way is it an eyesore or unusable. Zoetry, like all the resorts in it's strip, was placed on land that was cut out of a mangrove swamp. The natural location isn't, and was never, 'Prime Beach' material. What does exist is a perfectly fine, clean, scenic small beachfront. The ocean is more a backdrop to the world class main pool. In my opinion, beach complaints are frivolous *with the exception that in 'off times' the beach may not get the same degree of maintenance it does in prime summer months.

-Hard Bed. Note, the beds are definitely firm. I enjoy a firm bed and these aren't 'cheap rock' bed-types, just firm.

-A/C. This is a fair criticism. The actual set-up of the in-room A/C's is good, no old banger knocking around in the bushes outside your window. However, the output leaves something to be desired. In fairness it's sometimes hard to gauge the 'cool' factor because the humidity is so much higher down there than most folks are used to, sometimes you'll feel sweltering and lay still for awhile and completely cool down. That said, the degree of effectiveness of the A/C varies wildly, and should be better for the price-level of the resort.

-Small food portions/lack of variety. This one is about how you eat, and what schedule you expect. This is a smaller place,there aren't 300 little restaurants like in some huge AI's. Also, their not opened 24 hours. Food is of high quality, and the portions are 'international portions'', ie. smaller than what some NA guest expect. It is not a case of 'cheap food and very little of it' though. One of the mistakes I saw were couples not following the 'Appetizer', 'Salad', Pasta/Special Starter, 'Main course' flow of the menu, and just ordering a salad and main course. In the US, yes, you don't get four courses at most restaurants without exploding. With 'international portion' aimed meals, you do.

Importantly, the 'grill menu' (there's both an outside grill and inside grill cooking area for when weather closes the outside location) is outstanding, packed with comfort food, and definitely has NA portions. My advice for hungry travelers, go to dinner at it's earlier times (6-7 pm) and then hit the grill later at 10-11 if you're still hungry after some socializing/drinking. Applicable to lunch, though the best bet on nice day's it just to pig out from the grill menu right at the pool. Breakfast is an in-restaurant affair, and it's portions are generally large.

*Food Tip's- Get the chilaquiles, salsa verde-style, for an outstanding breakfast.
- Negra Modelo, Leon, and Modelo Especial are the best beers. I was sad Bohemia wasn't in the line-up. Most everything else is tourista swill like Corona or Bud Light.
-Hector, the sommelier, is knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Chat him up for some good recommendations/specials.

-The simple chips with Guacamole/pico de gallo plate from the grill makes for an outstanding light lunch or snakcing aroung the pool.

-The sushi is great, don't be scared of it

-Service level is hit or miss. This is one that's difficult to drop a simple + or - on. To me, it also includes things like room cleaning, facility maintenance and prep, concierge support, as well as wait staff. If you travel like an aristocratic (you know who you are) and don't talk to or tip staff, it's going to seem slower. If you're more outgoing and tip even modestly, service is fantastic. In fact, it's easiest to say overall that wait staff, maintenance, Spa professionals, etc., have great attitudes, are largely fluent in English, and try their best. The issue at times is staffing levels. In between seasons restaurants may close earlier than expected and service may be slower.

This ties into the 'big factor', at least for me----price. In fairness, I separate '5 Star' as relative for an AI and '5 Star' for luxury hotels. To me, there's a different playing field. Zoetry rates highly against other AI's, but it may not hit a 5 star luxury hotel you've been to in upstate New York or the south of France. Zoetry doesn't quite meet my 'Disney World' standard (which isn't about rides or Donald Duck, but that maintenance/operating activities are performed with fanatic regularity and without your knowledge). If you can get a good deal, you'll love it. Otherwise, at $1,000+ per day, you can get a little uptight if the salt-water pool needs cleaning, or the Spa staff are cleaning the dressing room floors at 2pm in the afternoon while you wait to get your clothes out of the locker. In 'Prime Season', with maximum staffing, little hiccups may be more minimized.

Altogether, Zoetry hit the right notes for me on this trip. Beautiful place with great staff, providing you're looking for an RR experience. First-class amenities. I'll be back, and to me the test of this place, long-term, is maintaining/keeping consistently high service/maintenance levels that justify the hefty price.

10  Thank OuttaJerseySam
Reviewed April 28, 2010

On arrival at the airport we were picked up outside baggage claim as promised. Once at the hotel we had a speedy check-in and greeting. We reserved a “Lovers Suite” thinking it would have more privacy but that was not the case. In fact there were balcony’s from other rooms all around as well as above the plunge pool with no privacy at all outside the suite. We were told when we arrived, they were only half full so I called the front desk to see if we could move and we could not move to another “Lovers Suite” as they were all booked. We were disappointed but decided to live with it and went to lunch. We had a nice lunch at the grill and were leaving when one of the waiters stopped us and asked if we had received the check. I explained that we had just arrived and didn’t realize we needed a check when it is all inclusive. The response was “you need the check to leave the tip”. You can imagine how embarrassing that was, and to be greeted like that at a AAA 5 diamond resort that prides themselves on no tipping? So we just left a tip on the table after that to keep from having another embarrassing situation. In the room there was a crack in the front door 1”wide and the bugs (fruit flies and mosquitoes) could get in, so every time we ordered room service the bugs were everywhere making it miserable. Also the air conditioning is substandard for the room size as we were never able to cool it down making the humidity so bad inside the sheets on the bed and even our clothes felt damp. The food is marginal at best and they have the same menu every day. The views are beautiful but, I would say if you are looking for a hotel with a private area for the plunge pool, don’t stay at this hotel as none of the ground level suites with pools are private, but I am not sure about the top floor…although no pool. If you are looking for restaurant variety, don’t stay at this hotel. My husband and I have stayed at several VERY nice AI hotels in Mexico but have never been so ready to return home. I don’t know how they were able to get the AAA 5 star rating it definitely does not measure up.
One last thing…the private transfer on the return to the airport was not private for us.

4  Thank Tamigaga
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#3 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!