“Service was excellent”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Service was excellent”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed at Paraiso de la Bonita from Oct 21 through Oct 28, 2009 and my wife and I had a great time. This was a first trip to Mexico and to Riviera Maya. I would highly recommend this resort for couples but don’t bring the kids. I would not bring my kids here because there is nothing for them to do, absolutely nothing. There isn’t much for adults to do but hang out at the pool or beach all day drinking your favorite cocktails, then go to dinner and then bed. There were kids while we were there and they were either crying loudly throwing a temper tantrum or extremely bored. I tried not to let the kids screaming bother me but what can you do?

The service was excellent and so was the food for the most part. I dare you to find better service anywhere. The weather was outstanding and we didn’t have any issues. If you want a peaceful vacation, come here. I didn’t have any complaints about the beds like I read on other reviews.

There suites are very nice and there are only 90 of them. We never left the resort so we took advantage of all the complementary services. The whirlpool is OK and the stream and sauna (all complementary) were fine. I would skip the free 20 minute Willis systems review because I think it is a rip-off but that is my opinion.

There are two pools here and they were just fine. The best pool was the salt water behind the spa. It was wonderful to swim there; very peaceful. Maybe it was the time of year we were there but most of the time I swam in either pool of the Caribbean Sea, I was by myself. No one else was swimming. The white sand on the beach was excellent. At the sea there was a lot of seaweed which made it hard to stand. It seemed to get worst as the days went by to the point where I no longer wanted to swim in the sea and the seaweed was so bad. Another bad thing is they always had a John Deere tracker going up and down the beach trying to clean the seaweed of the shores. You are out there laying on the chairs and it smelled like gasoline when the tracker goes back and forth. Another negative is I got tired of hearing the same jazz songs day after day. I am a rock ‘n’ roller but I didn’t mind hearing the soft jazz songs but you have to increase your play list. I heard the same songs three or four times a day.

If you are looking for excitement and plenty of activities, you are probable to young for this place, but if you are looking for a peaceful vacation and with excellent service, accommodations and food Paraiso de la Bonita is your place.

4 Thank rmb0707

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Korean first
West Chester, PA
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The private transfer via the resort Navigator was a nice touch complete with champagne and cold towels. This was only the first of many nice touches during our week stay at this phenomenal resort! We were completely impressed by every single staff member from Roberto, the resident manager, to Frederico, our pool waiter. I cannot say enough to praise the staff at Zoetry. They seem to anticipate your every need before you even realize what it is that you need!

It is small, intimate, relaxing –everything we were looking for this vacation. There was still plenty to do if you so desired – yoga, aerobics, wine tasting, tequila tasting, spa treatments, catamaran sail, shopping excursion by boat to name a few.

The wine tasting is very nice and fills up quickly – if you are interested in this, I suggest you book it right away. The shopping excursion was an hour boat ride each way to Puerto Morelos and an hour of shopping. Unfortunately it was off-season so I could not visit the couple of places I had scoped out on TA – Alma Libre Bookstore and Habaneros were both closed. We settled on having drinks at Pelicanos with another couple on the boat tour.

Something very special that Zoetry provides for guests is the opportunity to release baby sea turtles. They have a fenced off area on the beach where the eggs hatch and then when ready, they allow guests to release them.

I love the Bali beds by the pool and shade was never a problem as Frederico would set up an umbrella for me as soon as I arrived at the pool in the morning and would reposition it as the sun moved throughout the day. The daily iced tea infusions were so refreshing and another nice touch.

Saul is the activities director who is wonderful as well. He was never there to push anyone to engage in activity, but always around should you need something.

There is so much wildlife around the resort grounds, more than I have seen anywhere! There were peacocks, iguanas of course, a baby crocodile in the one pond, lots of koi fish in another, parrots including the resort mascot “Makita” who would always wait for you to round the corner to say “bye-bye”, etc. My husband enjoyed bonding with Makita every day.

The service in the restaurants was impeccable. Miguel was one of our favorite waiters for dinner. He would never steer us wrong in his suggestions. I requested two different recipes so that I can try to make them at home. I loved the mango linguine appetizer at Kanoa and the lobster lasagna for lunch at Kaax. The mango crème brulee at Kaax was also very good. Having lunch by the pool was a special treat and we ordered items not from the pool menu. It seems nothing is ever a problem and the staff does not ever say no to any request made.

We took advantage of the laundry service and it was fast and clothes were fresh and nicely hung. We did the in-room dining twice for breakfast and the very first night for dinner since we were tired from traveling. This is not your typical room service dining – it is almost as good as dining in the restaurants.

One night we were watching some of the World Series in the library bar with some other guests and then headed to dinner. During dinner, the resident manager Roberto caught my husband and me checking our iphones for scores. He said we should have had dinner served in the library. We told him the thought crossed our minds but we were afraid of starting a trend! He told us it would have been no problem and he would have set up a buffet for us (and other guests) had he known. Speaking of Roberto, he is like no other – he is not in a back office inaccessible to guests. He is interacting and checking in with guests from 8 am until at least 9 pm (if not later – that was when we saw him last but he was not finished making his rounds!) Roberto made our stay extra special and we are so grateful to him for all that he did to ensure a wonderful vacation. We sadly said our goodbyes to him on our last day about an hour before we had to leave. He told us he would be around but I figured we were probably not going to see him again this trip. When it was time to leave, we walked out front to let the driver know we were ready. When we were driving to the airport, our driver’s cell phone rang and it was Roberto to apologize for missing us when we left and wish us safe travels home! He had gotten tied up with other guests but still he took the time to call us. He is definitely the heart and soul of Zoetry and all of the staff members seem to follow his lead.

We plan to return to Zoetry as I honestly am not sure we could ever top this fabulous vacation!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank PAMichelle
MA
Reviewed November 2, 2009

This boutique resort gave me goosebumps when I got out of the Lincoln Navigator and arrived in the lobby. I was so taken by the arcitectural beauty and the colors and the textures that I felt as though I was in another world.
My boyfriend and I stayed in the Pompeya suite which was on the 3rd floor in block four the 2nd to last suite, it too made me feel like I was in another world.
Once we got settled in and walked around the resort we knew we were in for a week of rest and relaxation.
We immediately signed up for everthing we could and were only able to take part in the catamaran ride, the PM shopping trip, the wine tasting and the massage (which we added an extra 30 minutes to). We also experienced the Mayan cleansing ceremony in which my boyfriend had to excuse himself because he was having difficulty breathing.
Roberto (the resident manager) has a fabulous staff and they went above and beyond to make us feel like we were royalty. I cannot name them all individually (if they had name tags I would have been able to) but I want to let them know they are simply the best!
I am an animal lover and really appreciated all of the wild life at the resort, I was especially fond of taking part in the releasing of the baby turtles, it was an event I will never forget.
All of the restaurants were wonderful and we especially enjoyed the cerviche and the guacamole. I inquired about a drink called a Mexican coffee that is lit on fire (I was later told it is a Spanish coffee I was talking about), the waitstaff at Kaax put on a show for us and it was truly entertaining and worth every sip!
I could go on and on about this fabulous resort but just let me say this, it was the best place I have ever been and we will be back as soon as we can. I would highly reccommend this to honeymooners and people who just want to kick back and relax and be pampered.
It was a pleasure to stay at such a beautiful resort and I would be happy to answer anyone's questions who are thinking about choosing Zoetry La Bonita as their resort for a vacation.
Something else to mention....I was fortunate enough to experience a Mayan wedding during our stay and I found it fascinating.

martini10

5 Thank martini10
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2009

For the last 5 months I've been consistently checking travel sites (mostly this one), with the hopes of understanding the Zoetry Paraiso resort, and what my experience would be like. I consider myself fairly well traveled - I've been to some great hotels/resorts, cruises, and all-inclusives over my 29 years. Perhaps it was the extra pressure of this being my honeymoon, or the fact that I had never really heard of the "Riviera Maya" - but either way I became very interested in trying to figure out what the experience at Zoetry would be like before arriving. After reading enough reviews that included words like "relaxing" and "tranquil" I felt good enough about booking. But I still didn't truly know what to expect, and now I know why.

We arrived on a Tuesday, and the ride to the resort was suprisingly quick - which I loved. The travel time for NY to Pool was perfect...just about 4 hours. The driver was friendly, and due to some confusion with our booking agent - we were forced to drive with another couple. Some might say that was a negative but I was totally fine with it - especially when it was such a short drive. The cool moist towels and champagne on the drive over were nice touches as well.

Upon arriving, we were greeted by the hotel manager, who is truly a warm - friendly man. He gave us our tour, and did a great job. He also informed us of our complimentary room upgrade from a one bdrm ocean suite to a 2 bdrm master suite. Already we wre off to a great start. The hotel is set up with a main area - almost an outdoor lobby if you will - where cars arrive and drop off. The pool and restuarants/bars extend out from this outdoor lobby - towards the beach. It is all simply breathtaking. Then there is a narrow windy road to the side which leads to the suites and guests rooms. Golf carts typically patrol this road, along with many of natures finest small animals (we'll get to that later). Our suite was nearly at the end of this road - but I didn't mind at all because I loved the extremely quiet, nature filled walk to our room. Once we got to our room, the Puebla suite, we immediately felt at home. The quality of the room was top notch, and it was exciting to just walk around and explore all the details of the 2 bedrooms, and the amazing oversized backyard which had a view of the ocean and contained a perfect little plunge pool, lounge area with cushions, and table for 2. So far it was perfect, and like no other resort I've ever been to.

We then spent our week taking part in the activity we were most excited for...RELAXING! This is the most perfect place to kick back, either by the pool, at the beach, or in your room, and just relax! We spent most days just sitting by the pool. The reclining beds were perfect, and the towels were always laid out and umbrellas adjusted by the amazing staff. There was no point I didn't have both a bottle of water and some type of beverage right next to me. I highly recommend the Ice Tea of the day - by far the best Ice Tea I've ever had...and each day it would change slightly. The only activity we took part in was the Thalasso Spa - which was also perfect in the same relaxing way. Just like the resort, it felt extremely quiet...almost like it was our own. In fact, one night we ate at the Kaax restuarant for dinner all by ourselves. It was as if we rented out the whole restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, all the food was fantastic. Everything was extremely gourmet, and the ability to order multiple courses without any concern of what the check would be is great. The best restaurant is Kanoa - that's where you can enjoy some fantastic dishes in a classy dining atmosphere. But don't forget the Grill for dinner as well. All the dishes prepared over the wood plank are excellent - and the pizza's from the brick oven are suprisingly good (even for us New Yorkers).

The only downside to the resort would be the wildlife issue. You know as soon as you arrive that you're truly in a tropical area with plenty of wildlife that called the area the resort is on home before it was even built. Now, if you're someone that squeemish around animals like iguanas, spiders, crabs...then you'll be fine. Now if you're someone that's absolutely terrified of these things, then you may not feel completely comfortable. My new wife is definitely of the squeamish variety, and she did just fine. And the beds are not TOO hard, just firm and perfect.

So all in all, this was definitely one of the best resorts I've ever been to. I look forward to going back one day. My only suggestion to anyone out there who's doing what I did and trying to figure out what it's truly like...don't waste your time. Just go. Because it will take you getting there to truly understand what Zoetry is all about.

10 Thank ScottS5776
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at the resort for 1 week from the 18th of october and had a great time,i will also point out the good and the bad.
The Good.
Rooms and bathrooms excellent
Service and staff out of this world
Location great (Romantic and quiet) very quiet.
Topshelf drinks and plenty of them
Food is generally excellent but can be a little repetative(menu needs to change more and there needs to be more mexican food.
Room service good
The beach (apart from the seaweed)
Pickup and drop off on time

The Bad
We only had our room cleaned once a day (Not the three times a day the say)
Only changed toiletries once while we were there
Had to ask all the time to get champers and not the sparling wine, it was a pain in the butt asking all the time to get it.
No ipod or phone chargers

Overall it was excellent but they need to deliver what it says on there website!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. Of all the five star resorts we have stayed at, this one is our favorite. The service and the staff are both impeccable.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank nigeltufnle
brugge
Reviewed October 22, 2009

As promised, we were picked up at the airport in one of the hotels Navigators. Transfer was quick and the sparkling wine during the trip was a nice touch. After a quick tour of the grounds we were conducted to our suite, which was great. It was very comfortable and spacious, although it is not tru that they provide maid service three times a day. There is also no expresso machine, and not a trace of the aromatic pillow scent menu they present on the different sites. If you want coffee in your room, it comes trough room service and will take up to 20 minutes before it arrives.
Apart from that is is a very nice hotel; it is quiet and the staff is mostly very friendly. The hotel mainly has american guests, and that reflects in the service and some of the activities. At the pool, the pool staff runs to the Americans first; they stay for only 3-5days, and tip from the first sip. If you stay for a longer period of time(18d), like we did, you don't - you tip every so many days- but as a consequence, you're completely overlooked by most of them and you can go and fetch your own drinks. One big exception, Frederico.
The restaurants are nice and serve decent food, although service at the "french" restaurant was very sloppy sometimes. Kaax was nice, and they spontaneously offered us other things than on the menu, because , maybe, we could get bored by the classical menu after two weeks.
The wine tasting was disappointing, but probably because directed by american tastes.
Cooking class is very, very basic.
Other activities, as the yoga , aqua gym, sunset sails etc were very nice.
One thing was really disappointing : before we arrived I sent 3(!!!!) mails to let them know that my husband had his anniversary during our stay. They completely forgot, and after making a remark at the end of that day, they rushed to the kitchen for our already ordered dessert, and they wrote happy birthday on it; Further on, no excuses, nothing to make up for it. You would expect another attitude from a five star hotel.
Said this, we were happy to have choosen this hotel. There are defintiely points that need attention, but with Mr Roberto as manager, they are well on the way to becoming one of the best hotels of the Riviera Maya

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!