I've just returned from a week's stay at the Zoetry and want to get a few things down before I forget. I'll post some pictures later.
After reading all the remarkable reviews and emailing privately with people who were absolutely transformed by their stay, I made the decision to go. It was not an easy decision to make. Traveling alone, a recent widow, and other issues made it a brave move on my part. Anyway, here's my caveat. I live in La Jolla, California, right on the beach, so my frame of reference is different from those who come from the east coast and that was evident while I was there. It's one thing to escape the cold and come to a warm place, it's another to come from California that has everything except the awesome snorkeling found in the Maya.
Having said that, there are some subtle concerns that should be shared. I do not want this to be a slam to these lovely people, but it's a business. And here's some suggestions.
Living in the Land of the Guru du Jour, Mr. Charles Wills is, I believe, struggling with balancing the pressure from corporate to expand his wellness program and maintain his integrity at the same time. I spoke with him twice and I would suggest strongly to go with an open mind, but keep your own personal wisdom at the forefront. Having numbers run, breathing techniques, centering yourself, are all things you can do for yourself. But, I do believe his intentions are honorable. The reality of any business is probably his most difficult challenge. Unless you have enormous weight issues, or stress problems, I would hold off.
Bring bug dope. And lots of it if you're going to be on the first floor. I really enjoyed my plunge pool, but again, being from La Jolla where there are no bugs and we don't have screens, I was assaulted with insect bites and am very, very uncomfortable. It broke the trip's back for me.
The spa is outrageously expensive and doesn't need to be. $350-400 for a massage for two is absolutely unacceptable. I strongly encourage the resort owners to rethink this and offer a wider menu of opportunities. I, too, went for the 20-minute massage and it was nice, but the pressure to add this/that/the other would have brought my bill to way over $200 and, for me, that was no. In addition, I asked to have my toenail polish changed and showed up on time, but there was no one there and I wandered around and did finally find someone, who was lovely. But, there was no clear map of the spa itself. Nor was I told that I could use which facilities as part of my package.
Which brings me to my biggest concern. There is really no literature available that clearly states what is included in the Exclusive Privileges. I understand they are struggling with that, but that's also not good business. Sometimes I was asked to sign for a meal delivery, other times, no. The inconsistency and uncertainty kept me from asking for things.
All in all, my recommendation is for the corporate office to really nail down what it is they are selling.
I recommend this lovely resort for people who are younger, perhaps, and/or less traveled and are freezing in the north. Anyone with any travel savvy will see through the confused management.
It breaks my heart to write this, but I hope it will be of help in the future. And, no, I will not go back. I met enough people who travel the caribbean for a living and there are other more appropriate and spotlessly run establishments for consideration.
Feel free to email me if you'd like to know what they advised.
Thank you. OH! And the beds? Like iron. That has GOT to change.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, an ultra-luxury boutique resort, offers a completely new kind of vacation experience focused on wellness, serenity and romance, as well as social and environmental responsibility. Set on 500 yards of beautiful beach, this exceptionally unique property features 90 beachfront suites; La Canoa, a AAA Four Diamond award-winning restaurant; the first certified Thalassotherapy Center in North America;in-house scuba diving center, a private 48 ft. Catamaran. Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, one of the Leading Hotels of the World, has also earned the AAA Five Diamond Award for 13 consecutive years. Each of the 90 lavish oceanfront suites is uniquely decorated with hand-picked treasures from around the world and feature private ocean front view terraces, Bvlgari® bath amenities, fine luxury linens, sparkling wine and fresh fruit daily, 24-hour private, in-room dining, maid service three times each day and a welcome bottle of Tequila. For an added measure of intimacy and romance, a selection of suites also offer access to private terrace plunge pools and outdoor honeymoon showers. Endless Privileges® provide guests limitless access to personalized, private chauffeured airport transfers; unlimited worldwide calls and concierge service; daily breakfast, lunch and dinner gourmet dining options with an assortment of organic, local and gluten-free food and beverage selections plus 24-hour dining options allow guests to enjoy late night bites at Restaurant Kaax or stay in and order room service. The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience provides 60 more dining and entertainment venues at nearby sister resorts; complimentary cocktails and specialty beverages from a variety of domestic and international top-shelf brands and top-shelf spirits; sunset catamaran sail; shopping excursions by boat; complimentary 24-hour laundry service; relaxing 20 minute Thalasso Experience per guest; as well as complimentary greens fees at nearby Grand Coral Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Paraiso De La Bonita
- Paraiso Bonita
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos