“A Californian's perspective - some tips”

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
La Jolla California
“A Californian's perspective - some tips”
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I've just returned from a week's stay at the Zoetry and want to get a few things down before I forget. I'll post some pictures later.

After reading all the remarkable reviews and emailing privately with people who were absolutely transformed by their stay, I made the decision to go. It was not an easy decision to make. Traveling alone, a recent widow, and other issues made it a brave move on my part. Anyway, here's my caveat. I live in La Jolla, California, right on the beach, so my frame of reference is different from those who come from the east coast and that was evident while I was there. It's one thing to escape the cold and come to a warm place, it's another to come from California that has everything except the awesome snorkeling found in the Maya.

Having said that, there are some subtle concerns that should be shared. I do not want this to be a slam to these lovely people, but it's a business. And here's some suggestions.

Living in the Land of the Guru du Jour, Mr. Charles Wills is, I believe, struggling with balancing the pressure from corporate to expand his wellness program and maintain his integrity at the same time. I spoke with him twice and I would suggest strongly to go with an open mind, but keep your own personal wisdom at the forefront. Having numbers run, breathing techniques, centering yourself, are all things you can do for yourself. But, I do believe his intentions are honorable. The reality of any business is probably his most difficult challenge. Unless you have enormous weight issues, or stress problems, I would hold off.

Bring bug dope. And lots of it if you're going to be on the first floor. I really enjoyed my plunge pool, but again, being from La Jolla where there are no bugs and we don't have screens, I was assaulted with insect bites and am very, very uncomfortable. It broke the trip's back for me.

The spa is outrageously expensive and doesn't need to be. $350-400 for a massage for two is absolutely unacceptable. I strongly encourage the resort owners to rethink this and offer a wider menu of opportunities. I, too, went for the 20-minute massage and it was nice, but the pressure to add this/that/the other would have brought my bill to way over $200 and, for me, that was no. In addition, I asked to have my toenail polish changed and showed up on time, but there was no one there and I wandered around and did finally find someone, who was lovely. But, there was no clear map of the spa itself. Nor was I told that I could use which facilities as part of my package.

Which brings me to my biggest concern. There is really no literature available that clearly states what is included in the Exclusive Privileges. I understand they are struggling with that, but that's also not good business. Sometimes I was asked to sign for a meal delivery, other times, no. The inconsistency and uncertainty kept me from asking for things.

All in all, my recommendation is for the corporate office to really nail down what it is they are selling.

I recommend this lovely resort for people who are younger, perhaps, and/or less traveled and are freezing in the north. Anyone with any travel savvy will see through the confused management.

It breaks my heart to write this, but I hope it will be of help in the future. And, no, I will not go back. I met enough people who travel the caribbean for a living and there are other more appropriate and spotlessly run establishments for consideration.

Feel free to email me if you'd like to know what they advised.

Thank you. OH! And the beds? Like iron. That has GOT to change.

20 Thank YooperLJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Korean first
terryb11
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I stayed at Zoetry for two days and had just a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful and accomodating. Hector our waiter knew everyone's name in just few minutes. He was very entertaining and courteous. Saul, the entertainment manager, stole every one's heart. Laura and Nashelly from Sales were all smiles and super helpful. I also attended a seminar by Charles Wills and learned a lot about breathing and keeping my heartbeat low. His system is just amazing. Charles also did my numerology and said that I was an exceptional person..... but I already knew that..... hehehehehehe.... just kidding. And... let's not forget my SPA experience, which was very very relaxing
I have one word for my experience at Zoetry: AMAZING!!!!
Highly recommended!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank terryb11
denver
Reviewed May 20, 2009

Words don't do this resort justice! It is complete beauty and peace! My husband and I have stayed at Secrets Capri, Secrets Punta Cana, Excellence Playa Mujeres, Excellence Riviera Cancun, Royal Hideaway, Aventura/Spa Palace and many more luxury 'adults-only' resorts and this was the best ever!!
We were originally booked at the new Secrets Maroma and I changed our booking to Zoetry four days prior to our departure once I found out it was now in the same chain as Secrets. My husband was unaware of the change I made until we landed at the airport. I was so worried that I may have made the wrong decision. NOPE!! Right decision!!

The airport was empty...like a ghost town. The swine flu hype has really hurt the travel industry there and hurt the people that depend on tourists for their living. That was very sad! We were picked up by a suburban and whisked away to the resort with sparkling wine! We were pampered right from the start! The ride was so short, which was great after an almost 4 hour plane ride from Denver.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Enrique and given a short (it's a very small resort) tour of the resort. The views were amazing. Enrique ordered us our favorite drinks and we were escorted to our amazing beachfront room! We were so impressed with the size and beauty of the room. You will not be disappointed. The bed wasn't as hard as we'd read about in previous reviews but the pillows were like sleeping on saran wrap; so you may want to bring a firmer pillow. I don't think the rooms were cleaned three times a day; not sure why they'd need to be, but definitely twice a day including the turn down service which was really nice.

The mini bar in the room was a nice touch, but we never had any 'deli snacks' as advertised. We weren't bothered by that at all since there's always food to be found and room service was amazing and very quick. I liked the choice of sparkling water they gave as well. You won't get sparkling wine in your room everyday either, unless you specifically ask for it everyday. The rooms were very quiet, but of course there were only about 45 people staying at the resort.

My husband used the gym once as we preferred to work out in our living room area everyday or run outside. I, personally, am glad that we didn't pay for a ground level with plunge pool since there was little to no privacy and we never saw anyone using them while we were there.

The restaurants offer great choices and menus change almost nightly. Dinners usually lasted two hours which was great with us since we weren't in any hurry. We found all the food to be delicious and presented very well. The wine was good and the drink/bar service was the best! Other than a Mexican style guitar duo/trio (which were excellent, by the way) there was no entertainment at this resort. We were pretty tired of the cheesy entertainment you get at the larger resorts, so this wasn't a big deal to us. I've seen enough Idol wanna-be shows, circus, magic, comedian & Michael Jackson presentations to kill an army, so we were glad there was none of this at Paraiso. It would have been nice to have had some talented jazz musicians/singers or rock band for dancing, but I'm sure with the low level of travelers, these luxury details have been cut from the budget.

The pools were nice. The staff was very attentive to fix towels on the lounge beds for you and quickly bring a drink or snack. There was plenty of shade. The beach was beautiful, but true that it's not a swimming beach. We love the ocean, but only went in the water a few times since the rocky bottom was too painful on the feet. I did miss the opportunity to see the famous Maroma beach we were originally going to enjoy, but the service and ammenities at Zoetry far outweighed the rocky beach bottom. There are not enough beach beds on the beach or shade palapas, so I hope the management will work on getting more! Go out on the pier at night and watch the sting rays! Very cool.

The catamaran ride was nice, so make sure you book it when you get there. The spa was the most disappointing aspect, though. We booked a couple's massage and used our complimentary 20 minute massage (it's not 25 minute as advertised) to upgrade to an 80 minute (paying for 60 minutes.) The massages were the BEST ever!!! The ladies did an amazing job, but we paid $375 US dollars!! We couldn't believe the prices. The spa is small and has no real appeal to it. We usually get several treatments when we stay at other resorts, but the prices were just ridiculous. I rate the Excellence & Secrets Resorts far better in their spa prices and overall spa experience. There must not have been too many people using the spa services because the spa personnel kept coming by the pool day after day reminding vacationers about the spa. There were never any specials either. Take your wallet with you on this one!

The laundry service was amazing! Use it! They picked our clothes up around mid-day and returned them around 8:00 pm; folded, pressed and hanging in the closet. We were not offered a cell phone with free worldwide calling to use, but had this on our room phone...so if you have to have the cell phone, ask them about this as they will probably not bring it up.

There are also not daily trips to shopping included as advertised, but who the heck wants to shop? I'm sure a few things have been omitted since the number of tourists has diminished and there are cutbacks. You will not notice a cutback in the important things, though. There was only one computer to share for checking emails, so bring your own laptop or prepare to wait on the computer.

The staff wasn't too excited about the new AMResorts takeover for fear the 'all-inclusive' aka: endless privileges mind set would ruin the charm of the resort. The staff was used to better tipping before and with the new 'all-inclusive' concept, people don't tip as much. We usually bring about $600 in tip money every time we visit a resort because these staff people work so hard to make your vacation a memorable one. Don't forget to tip!

If you get bored easily and/or aren't too excited about spending quiet, relaxing time with your significant other...this isn't the place for you! If you want to live like a rock star in peace and tranquility for your vacation, then this is the place for you! We are so impressed with this place! Enrique told us they didn't allow kids, but then other staff told us they did...so not sure what the real policy is on this subject. We did see one kid while we were there, but only one and he only spent a few hours at the pool. We never saw any more. We come on vacation specifically to enjoy a resort without kids, so I think this would ruin the concept of this resort. I hope the management will reconsider their decision to allow children. I can't imagine why anyone would want to bring their kids to this quiet of a place since there is absolutely nothing that would interest a kid!

Management: Don't allow kids under 16! This place is too special for couples and we'd love to come back to an adult's only resort there at Zoetry! This is the perfect spot and we hope we can come back again and again!

9 Thank tn60strat
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We returned on May 11 from a seven day stay at Zoetry. This place is truely amazing!
We almost decided not to go because of the Swine Flu scare, but are so glad we went! When we arrived at the Cancun airport we were stunned to find 10 people ahead of us going through customs and immigration instead of the usual hundreds. I have never seen that airport so desolate. We had our temperature taken before we could exit the airport. The Mexican government is very diligent in preventing the spread of germs.
We were greeted by the Lincoln Navigator at the airport, and from then on we were in another world!
We stayed in Monaco, a third floor suite, one building away from the main lobby. this was by far the best accommodations we have ever had in any hotel!!! Huge living area ,bedroom, bath and veranda with double lounger. Marble and granite everywhere!
Zoetry is a very quiet place, except for the birds! There was a large cage outside our room, at the Retorno Guacamaya, where a large bird did wake us up on several occasions. Not a big deal. They do put them elsewhere at night so it was quiet then.
It is very quiet at night......no entertainment or music or shows.........we knew this ahead of time and were fine with it, which is one reason we chose this resort.
Another reason is Charles Wills........We met with Charles on two occasions for several hours. The information we came away with has been life altering. He is a brilliant man, who is very easy to talk to. He did numerology for us and also gave us great relaxation techniques and the best diet advice,which we are using at home and it works! I would recommend seeking him out and at least have him do your numbers.
The staff at Zoetry is some of the finest I've ever encountered. Kudos to the management.
Some of our favorites were Hector at La Canoa, David at The Library, Leo at Kaax,Heron (sp)and Jimmy at The Hippo bar, and Vivianne at La Canoa. Never have I seen such a pleasant, professional and genuine group of people.
The week we were there they were feeling the effects of the "pandemic" and were only at 25% capacity, so we felt like we had our own resort!
We would highly recommend this resort for couples looking for rest,relaxation and renewal. That's what we were seeking, and definately found it here!

6 Thank jolahiff
Mexico
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I researched the Riviera Maya for over 4 months to find the perfect resort to spend my 15th anniversary, and I can tell you that Zoetry really exceeded every expectation I had; it really knocked all my previous standards off.

First a little bit of history on the Resort itself:

The owners have traveled extensively throughout the globe, have lots of experience on world class resorts, and build up this hotel 7 years ago taking many of the souvenirs they collected worldwide to decorate the suites that are named after all the places they visited. Originally they were part of the Intercontinental franchise, and not an AI hotel. Great service and food, but a bit pricey at the end. The original name “Paraiso de la Bonita” refers to the owner’s wife “la Bonita” (Beauty).

Last year they changed to the AM Resorts franchise (which includes Secrets and Dreams Resorts) and turned into a high-end AI Resort. The place used to be exclusive for adults, but recently they unfortunately opened it to all ages. Due to the high price you end up paying (kids are supposed to pay full fare), the fact that all suites only have king size beds (so I suppose kids should go into additional small beds) and that the resort has no big entertaining activities for kids, I don’t think it might be an issue.

They have many accolades (AAA 5 Diamond, The Leading Small Hotels of the World, etc.) and many celebrities have stayed here like Dustin Hoffman, Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City’s Miranda Hobbes), Ricky Martin, Paulina Rubio and many more.

It’s a very romantic boutique hotel, where they make you feel as you are a celebrity, pampering you in every sense. They turn the ordinary into extraordinary! There is no way I can explain how many details (big and small) they have throughout the hotel, both in service and food/drinks.

Starting with the warm welcome at the airport and the private chauffeured drive to the Hotel on a Lincoln Navigator, with fresh scented towels and cold drinks (you can even choose sparkling wine), to the touring of the facilities by Enrique (he is really good) with a freshly brewed homemade iced tea (delicious, one of my favorite drinks, they change the flavor daily) and a swift in-room check in. Enrique made sure that all our preferences were taken into consideration (like the stocking of the mini bar with our preferred drinks and the time to deliver the champagne bottle every day).

We stayed on a Lowers’ Suite named “Alwar” after the city in India. All the decoration evoked to Indian art crafts, with many wood hand carved treasures like the bathroom mirrors. The bathroom itself is huge, and the beautiful and big outdoor shower was the only one we used. We also used a lot the plunge pool in our terrace, water temperature was refreshing, depth was more than enough to sunk your entire body (at least 2 feet deep), it’s not completely private as it’s on the first floor, but the building is layered out in that way that no one peeks into you, and you have an oceanfront view and direct access to the beach.

I read on many review, people complaining about the hardness of the beds, this was my only fear when I booked at Zoetry. I don’t know if they changed beds since, but the one we got, was deliciously perfect!

If you install yourself either on the beach (on a lovely 4 post bed) or on the pool (on a double Chaise Lounge), the staff members approach you to set it up with towels, umbrella and anything else you might need. Federico is great at it! He takes care of you, bringing you drinks or snacks from the restaurant and the bar. You can order lunch from any of the restaurants and it will be brought to you to the pool, beach or at the hippo’s bar. I really enjoyed a fresh ceviche by the sea with a fresh beer and a tequila.

Starting with the breakfast is a delight. We regularly ordered in-room-dining (that’s what they call the room service) with coffee, biscuits, fruit and juice served in our very large terrace to see the sunrise and contemplate the beautiful sea. Relaxing on the couch you have in the terrace while enjoying coffee is great.

Afterwards we went to the restaurant Kaax for a full breakfast. There are no buffets at all, all restaurants serve a la carte. All of the juices are freshly squeezed, fruits are perfectly fresh and the types of omelets and eggs combinations you get are very original. They provide you with the Sun Dial to review the daily activities and schedules on the hotel, and a very complete news report.

Walking on the beach is beautiful, especially if you go south (right of the hotel) you get a perfect walking beach for up to 2 miles (that’s as far as we got).

For lunch you also have the Chiringuito, which has an open wood fire grill offering prime cuts, fish and sea food, vegetables and the best wood fired oven pizzas and calzone’s I have ever had! Or you can order your lunch from Kaax or Chiringuito brought to you, highly recommendable is the lobster lasagna.

For dinner the menu changes completely either on Kaax and Chiringuito, and La Canoa is exclusive only for dinner. La Canoa is a Four Diamond AAA rated restaurant, it’s simple a gourmet experience. All of the restaurants have big terraces with open air spaces, and you enjoy your dinner while watching the gardens and the sea. Hector is one of the best guys at La Canoa, he fully explains you what your options are, offers you the daily specials, and once served, explains the ingredients and “secrets” of the dish you have in front of you. Personal favorites were the lobster “shamrock” for starter and as main dish the roasted rack of lamb with lobster.

They include a wine list with close to 8-10 types of red wine, 3 Rosé, 5 White and 1 Sparkling; all of them of a pretty good quality and you get to choose your wine bottle served specially for you. Regarding hard liquors, they include all premium brands (JW Black Label, Chivas, Grey Goose, Jack Daniels, etc). I usually started with an exquisite dry martini served on a very original glass with an iced filled globe base, keeps your drink cold. This applied also for the Tequila, served chilled, very tasty.

You really have everything included, you get a daily sunset cruise on their 4 cabin catamaran “La Bonita”, you get a 20 min back massage on the spa (you can upgrade to a 50 min wonderful relax massage for U$ 90) there is a temazcal steam included that runs Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The spa pool is an incredible experience. It has warm salt water, but at a high concentration, so you can easily float as in the Dead Sea and just relax and float around.

On the Library Bar, they specialize on Martinis, they have a great variety, all very good, and nicely presented. After dinner we went there to relax, have some drinks and play some backgammon. They have a computer so you can access e-mail and get in touch with family. By the way, they say you get a cell phone with unlimited calls worldwide, I didn’t requested it because I wanted to be secluded, but it’s a perk you can have.

Regarding room service, they actually cal it in-room-dining, because of its perfection both in quality, service and presentation. It’s wonderful to have breakfast on your terrace looking at the sunrise, or have a romantic dinner looking at the moon and the stars. Highly recommendable.

It was one of the best vacations my wife and I have had in our lives, and having the opportunity to celebrate our 15th anniversary this way is going to stay in our minds forever. I will for sure come back again to this paradise.

13 Thank Erwin_Polo
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We spent the last week of April here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort or to return to it, but given the 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor, I actually expected more. We definitely paid a five star price for our week's stay and although this resort is wonderful and we had a great time, I wouldn't put them in that five star category.

We booked a regular suite and planned to upgrade to a first floor room with the plunge pool on arrival. I quickly changed my mind when I saw one. I would never have used that pool. It was about the size of a hot tub and definitely not hot. Our suite was on the third floor and regrettably there are no elevators, but I loved it. Third floor suites have vaulted ceilings and it made everything very open and airy. We only used the air conditioning at night because it made the room more quiet. The furniture in the sitting room wasn't terribly comfortable but we hadn't come there to watch TV or DVD's, so we spent most of our time out of the room and in the main part of the resort.

We were told housekeeping would come three times a day. They came twice a day, but the room was kept adequately clean except for the balcony which suffered from a daily barrage of bird doodoo from the skies above. There was to be a bottle of champagne in the room daily and fresh fruit. Both came once during the week. We learned you had to ask for everything, even if it was included in your package price.

I didn't realize ants could climb to the third floor. They did and they found the fruit, so we never asked for any more and none came unbidden. The personal items we left for the laundry sat for two days before they took them away to be laundered. We used the room to sleep, shower and nap. This is an intimate resort and the fun lies in getting up to the public areas to interact with the other guests or sit down in the restaurant or pool area with your sig other and enjoy a meal overlooking the beach. The rooms are lovely but not the most important part of your stay here. Don't waste money on upgrades.

The majority of the staff here work very hard and they are incredibly friendly, especially the bar and restaurant staff. The food was especially good in the mornings and afternoons when local specialties are abundant and delicious. The PR about the use of organic foods is simply PR. Most of the meats and much of the produce used in meal preparation come from places outside of Mexico, including the good old USA. This is a resort with a spa, not a spa resort.

Dinners were good, not great, and sometimes missed by a mile. It was disappointing that the menu never changed during our week. There are two wine lists, so be aware that one is the list of wines offered as part of the Endless Privileges package and the other list is wines that you will pay extra for. The wines included in the EP package were not up to acceptable standards for us. Some were quite awful and white wines were delivered to the table at room temperature far too many times.

We were confused by being presented with a bill at the end of our first dinner meal with a zero total. There was a line on this bill for adding an additional tip, and this was embarrassing because we didn't quite know what to do. We went to the front desk after dinner to inquire about whether tipping was included in the meals. The rather evasive answer was yes, but that you could still add more. Not a five star answer.

A further FYI about tipping, by week's end, this was our take on the issue. When you tip in the restaurants, they told us your tip is shared among the several people who wait on you. I hope so. When you tip in the bar, you get better drinks and better service. My advice in retrospect would be to tip early in your stay, and a little at a time. If you tip too much, staff will be too attentive if you get my drift. Of course, I'd rather the staff be paid adequately enough that tipping not be necessary at all as it is rather distracting, but what is...just is.

The beach is very nice, very pretty to look at, but I wouldn't say it would be my choice for swimming. We saw almost no one in the water the week we were in residence. There was lots of seagrass in the water and they try to pick it up off the beach, but its still in the water everyday. There are no lifeguards and no beach flags to designate safety conditions in the water. The main pool is a series of shallow circles, not for lap swimming. A place to cool off. The Thalasso pool is superb. Richly salty and comfortably warm. The spa is nice to visit, but treatments are priced on the very high side. The gift shop is priced according to the venue. Try not to forget something at home or you will pay for it. Bring plenty of sunscreen, a hat, and aloe if you burn easily.

All in all, we both loved this place but agreed it isn't where it should be in terms of five star excellence. Next time, I'd find a time of the year when I could book at a lower price and be completely content with the four star quality. A word to the wise, upon leaving do check your bill. We had cigarettes and breath mints on our bill from the gift shop and we don't smoke. We were charged for spa services to the tune of $200 that we'd been told were complimentary. The $200 spa credit included in our package got converted to pesos and somehow came out to only $186. Pariso de la Bonita has got aways to go to get to that five star level they advertise, and I for one, hope they make it. I'd like to go back.

6 Thank Salt Water Diva
Southlake, TX
Reviewed May 8, 2009

...book your trip today! This place is fabulous. IIt's a casual elegence, which we really enjoyed. Great place to spend a romantic getaway. It starts when you meet the driver just outside the airport doors and are escorted to your waiting Lincoln Navigator. A glass of champagne on the twenty minute ride to the hotel is a small glimpse of what lies ahead. Upon arrival you are greeted with the Tea of the day, given a tour of the facilities, and taken to your room. There is no check in process.

Overall, the food is great, get the shrimp and red snapper at the El Chringrito. Some of the people that will take great care of you are Eddie at the Hippo bar, Saliano and Leo during dinner, and Carlos and Francisco during breakfast. Those are just a few of the names we remember. The service is impeccable, but not overbearing. We just returned during extremely low occupancy due to the swine flu scare - so it was like we had the place to ourselves...yet every staff member was amazing in every way.

The sunset cruise on the catamaran was also a nice touch. The parrots and peacocks and iguanas around the grounds really made you feel like you were far, far away from home.

Like some previous posters mentioned - it is not a place to go if you really want activity and lots going on. It's a place to go and relax and just unwind, which is exactly what we were looking for. We're hoping to return again as soon as we can.

6 Thank 2009txtraveler
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!