“First of Many I Hope”

GreenLeadersGold level
Asheville, North Carolina
“First of Many I Hope”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I just got back Sunday from 4 nights at Zoetry Paraiso. From the moment we found our private transportation and driver, we were attended to with the utmost care. We watched throngs of people being corralled and picked up is buses and vans heading to the Cancun Hotel (party) Zone. We saw our driver and he took our bags to the Mercedes Van. We were handed cool damp washcloths for our faces and a chilled glass of sparkling wine was in our hands before we pulled out.

Zoetry is a quick 20 minutes south of Cancun, then into a gated area and thru the jungle via a private road that feeds three Resorts. Upon arrival we were given a tour of the property and seated for lunch as it was noon. It was nice to sit down to take in the experience of being in paradise. Iguanas roaming around, colorful Macaws in front of us, and the food was simple, rustic, and fantastic. La Chiringuita grill, which is poolside, was fantastic. From wood fired pizzas and chicken, to more traditional local dishes, all fantastic.

We were then shown to our room, the Nairobi Suite. We were on the third floor as requested, and had a excellent view of the ocean and the breezes are perfect. The room was large but not overly so. King bed was very high off the ground and wonderfully firm. (I've seen some complaints on the firmness but found it to be excellent) Bathroom was large and well appointed.

I can go on and on about the room, the resort, the food, the spa (excellent) and the pool. They were all beautiful and well kept. What you would expect from this level of resort. What stands out throughout your stay is the staff. From the groundskeepers to the pool staff to the waiters. EVERYONE is kind and helpful and dedicated to your needs. NO request is met with "I'm not sure" or well " we can't do that" Every request was met with "It will be our pleasure"

Many, many thanks to Pepe, our pool waiter for several of the days (Sadly, he was off on our last day). He made us feel as we were the only people there. Drinks, food from any restaurant, towels, snacks, etc. He would even move our umbrella as the sun moved to keep me shaded and my wife in the sun. He was incredible. They all were. The bartenders at the Hippo Bar, Ivan at Kaax restaurant for dinner, Miguel at breakfast. All Fantastic! And the maitre'd at Kaax during breakfast hours was beyond professional, one of our favorite people there. Thanks for the pan de chocolat!

Yes, one night I didn't like one of the appetizers. Yes, one night our bathrobes were missing (they brought me two in five minutes when I called). No place can be perfect for everyone, all of the time. But the staff is. I cannot praise them enough. This is the first trip my wife and I have taken as a couple away from our 3 kids in many years (don't really want to admit how long) and all we wanted was to relax and be waited on in paradise. Mission accomplished!

The only thing I can say as a negative is about the ocean. The beach is beautiful, but sea grass does wash up, and with it...trash. This is true up and down all the beaches in the Riveira Maya. Zoetry, along with every other resort cleans every morning, but they can only get what has washed up. There was small amounts of trash on the sea floor where you would swim. If its dead calm, crystal clean, Caribbean water you crave, you may want to look elsewhere.We didn't come for the water sports!

If you want to relax poolside in paradise, or on the beautiful beach in a bed lounger, and be waited on hand and foot by wonderful, friendly people, look no further. We will be back.

Room Tip: A few people had issues with mosquitoes. (Hey, its literally between the ocean and a vast expanse of...
1 Thank Kevin H
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Bix a bel Kevin H,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita.

We are glad to know that you’ve found the view that characterizes every suite of our resort as breathtaking and also that you are enjoying our Endless-privileges® concept which consists in the best service and food.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your experience with us.

info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I travel to Mexico and the Caribbean often. We probably have been to 40 different resorts in the last 10 years. Just got back from 4 nights at Zoetry. My wife and I were there a few years ago. Last time we were there we met Antonio who provided service at the pool and beach. He was one of the big reasons we wanted to return. His service is fantastic. Any service you need at the beach from extra towels, food from any of the restaurants to drinks, he was happy to provide.
We were delighted to meet Victor (AKA Carnal Danny) who started less than a year ago. His service was phenomenal. You cannot help, but be in a better mood around him. He is very outgoing. Again helping with any request. Antonio and Victor work extremely hard to cover any request from the guests. They take great pride in their work. On the beach they have to set up chairs everyday and have to bring them from far distance at times down the beach. I wish management had an easier way for them so they c uI did not get their names, but the library bartender, Canoe bartender and I think her name was Sophia were very nice.
The rooms are very large and great. Unlike most hotels in Mexico they offer top shelf Tequila including Don Julio. The food and other members of the staff are great. Most are very outgoing and ready to accommodate. I made a few special requests not on the menu and each time it was accommodated. It is a smaller hotel than most we go to, but it is a great place to go and relax.
I dove there last time from the hotel to a wreck dive and it was very nice, but did not dive this time as it seemed the dive sites from the hotel pier were limited to just that one.
If you want a day away from the hotel Cancun and Playa are only about 30 minutes away by cab.

We plan to return again and cannot wait to see Victor and Antonio.

1 Thank Chad G
montreal
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights from the 6th to 13th of January. We are well travelled and always stay in 5 stars resorts all over the islands and beyond.

Excellent:

I would like to thank Mr. Delgado Betancourt for the excellent customer service received by him before our arrival. I requested a first floor suite and received this plus a upgrade. Thank you.

Miguel on the beach great service. Victor in the bar. Nice guy. Daniel our waiter at Kaax was always on spot. Remember our names and our drinks. Also, good service with pick up from the airport (on time, nice car, wine, towel and super nice driver).

Not so good;

Our suite Bermuda was big but not clean. They came twice a day to clean but really all they do is tidy. We had a real situation with the bugs in our room (mosquito, black flies) although we were careful with the door and to their credit they did spray but we would always have lots of dead ones in the morning and not once were they pick up. Also no real bar in the room, a half bottle of Tequila and bubbly wine. Really not good.

The beach is long with nice sand but litter with seaweed on the hotel property and garbage off site. The water itself also had garbage but that is not the hotel fault. But swimming was not good.
Nice chairs and lounger and good service from Miguel.

Food:

Kaax was our best meals. La Canoe was really mediocre. For the price, 2 of the night only one restaurant was open and that is not good. We had dinner outside near the grill one night were a racoon crawled up a woman shoulder and ate some of her food. We all ended up moving to avoid this racoon. Plus the mosquitos also had dinner on us. If you only have 2 restaurants you must have both open for dinner. Room service for breakfast was good. Drinks were good in the bars. No real entertainment but we did not mind that so much,

POOL

Small pool with lounger one on top of the other.

Spa;

Overpriced and the pool there was in great need of maintenance.

Overall I would not return to this resort because for the money it is really not worth it. My husband and I would were dumbfounded as to how this could be rate 5*. And we know the difference between a 5* north American to a 5* in Mexico.

Room Tip: higher may have less bugs
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anna089
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Bix a bel Anna089,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is very important to for us all the overview of our guest.

As a hotel, we are always looking for the excellent by doing things that you are not going to find in other resort. One of those things is our Endless-Privileges® concept. Which assure you fresh and organic food. As a part of our concept we are an eco friendly resort, we apologize for the inconvenience that the nature represent in this scenario.

We regret to know that we have not fulfilled your expectations during your visit. Please be certain that we have taken your feedback seriously and we will work in our opportunity areas in order to deliver better service to our guests.

While we understand the way you felt about the situation experienced during your stay, we do hope that our reply to your feedback restores some semblance of trust on us. Please contact me directly at info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com to take care of your next reservation. We would love to change your experience into the best one.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This being my 5th review of Zoetry Paraiso in the last 2 1/2 yrs, I find it a little difficult to find new ways to praise the Resort and it's wonderful staff. Quick background: my wife and I have been vacationing in either the Caribbean or Mexico (almost always Mexico last 10 years) for about 25 years and go at least 2-3 times a year. We have been to all of the best AIl incl / adults only including all Secrets Resorts multiple times. Zoetry is far and away THE BEST.
More than anything, we return because of the excellent staff that provides us without question, the best service we have ever had anywhere. This starts at the top ; Valter Espinoza -GM, Sergio-front desk, and Alain-concierge . They know us because we have been loyal customers and they treat us like Kings & Queens because they know how much we appreciate this and this in turn makes us want to return. It's a simple formula, but one that works for all of us and one that should be learned by other resorts.
I don't want to bore you with mentioning a bunch of names you probably don't know, but I feel compelled to single out a few that make this place as great as it is. At the pool; Miguel, Antonio, Victor & Andreas are absolutely the best. One trip to Zoetry and they will become your friends too. A quick mention of tipping. It is not expected and I am sure you will receive the same great service whether you tip or not. But, We love tipping all of these people because there is nothing they will not do to make your vacation the best ever. Shrimp not available at the pool; no problem, we will get it for you. Ice cream with a cookie on the side; not on the menu; again no problem. Besides, what is a few bucks here and there to people who really need it when we all waste more money on expensive coffee and junk we don't need?
As usual the food was great. Many people don't seem to realize that you can get things not on the menu just by asking. If it is at all possible, they will make it happen. My wife is a vegetarian and there is always something on the menu for her, but people like Cesar and Raul at Kaax go out of their way to always offer her more choices. And best of all, this is all done because they want to make you happy. They always succeed. Everyone loves to be treated special and when we arrive at a restaurant, they treat us like we owned the place.
Not much is mentioned by others about the room service so I feel I must. It is always of the highest quality and on time-30 min. max. Don't miss the decadent chocolate dessert if you are a chocolate lover- it is a treat that can't be missed!
Some people complain that chairs by the pool or on the beach are hard to come by or that you must be out early to save one. This doesn't have to be the case. We simply let Miguel or Antonio know where we like to be and it will be ready the next day. A tip thrown in is a nice idea, but not necessary. Change your mind the next day, no problem. They are always able to find another spot even if they have to go find more loungers to do so.
Our only disappointment was that Jimmy, the main bartender in the Library is gone. He loved to make you special drinks and we enjoyed our conversation with him. He will be missed. Also, Hugo the Manager of La Canoa Restaurant is recently gone. He provided the same personalized service that we always get at Kaax and he will be greatly missed. His replacement was not the same. He never asked for our names and we didn't feel the same love we got from Hugo. Hopefully this will change over time.
This trip was made even more special because we reunited with 2 other couples we met at Zoetry last Jan. Being with friends can make all the difference. Our thanks to Dave, Terri, Marty and Jennifer for helping to make this our best trip ever. Let's do it again.
In conclusion; For the best Suites, Food and especially Service, Zoetry tops every other resort we have been to by far. It is worth every dollar. We will return !

Room Tip: No such thing as a bad room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alhart
London England
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I are just completing a seven-day stay and have found this to be a rather frustrating resort. Some aspects are fine but others are way below what you would expect from a member of Leading Hotels of the World. There is such a lack of leadership that at times you feel that the various departments -restaurants, bars, beach, etc - are run as separate franchises.

This is an all inclusive resort and the food is very variable and rarely better than mediocre at best. The service is generally willing but at times lacking in direction. Judicious tipping is advised in the restaurants and on the beach where the two staff are often very hard pressed.

Some of the rooms can be rather dark but undoubtedly our suite - Manila - is extremely well situated and its three windows all have splendid views along the beach and sea. Other suites in the same building, which does not have a name, would be equally good. Its at the far end of the property so you need to be prepared to walk or to call for a buggy.

The hotel's beach is cleared of seaweed every day - and there's a lot of it - but when you venture on the beach outside the resort not only is seaweed piled up but it also has old shoes and plastic containers of all kinds tangled within it.

The lack of management becomes irritating as the days go on and our view is that the other resorts - the Blue Diamond, for instance - offer better value and service.

3 Thank theeytons
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Bix a bel theeytons,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We truly regret hearing that our food options have not met your expectations; we encourage our guests to provide us with their feedback in regards of our services during their stay in order for us to be able to offer them the best memories and experiences of their holidays with us. Therefore we appreciate your kind remarks and be certain that your comments will not be overlooked.

On the other side of your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your suite and your oceanfront escape, and just to mention, some of our guest truly love to stay in the end of the property because only there, you are going to appreciate all the beautiful nature that we have around our beautiful paradise.

While we understand the way you felt about the situation experienced during your stay, we do hope that our reply to your feedback restores some semblance of trust on us. Please contact us directly at info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com to take care of your next reservation.

Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We last visited in January 2011, and returned this year with 2 other couples. Overall, another outstanding experience for all of us.

SERVICE: Slight service drop-off because the resort was fuller than our last visit, so simply a higher staff to guest ratio. No big deal though, everyone was still friendly and added personal touches everywhere. Transportation and bell service was excellent (thanks Enrique). Check-in and check-out were actually better than last time, and the front desk was generally very, very good and extremely helpful. They even went out of our way to fix my friends eyeglasses MacGyver style. Pool and beach staff was as incredible as last time, but the resort would benefit from a few more chaises by the pool... the towel game started early. Outstanding performances by Stefanie (concierge), Eric (La Canoa), Frederico (Grill), Pepe (Pool)... you guys rock.

FOOD: La Canoa did not disappoint, but there were some issues getting in our party of 6. They are simply not geared up for larger parties, more for couples. So both nights we ate there, we had to eat late and still had to wait for a table. Thankfully, Hippo Bar is a few steps away and we were more than happy to be taken care of there by the exceptional bar-tenders. They made custom shots just for us the second time we were stuck waiting for a table. Kudos, they were outstanding! Kaxx was steady as always, with french toast for breakfast and the incredible tortilla soup for lunch. We ate at La Chringuito twice, and everyone liked their meals. One side note, we ate sushi and raw veg throughout the whole vacation, no tummy issues whatsoever.

ROOMS: Rooms were excellent like last time. Housekeeping was on top of things and I was happy to give them a generous tip. The did our laundry twice and were very efficient. I did need to call to have the fridge refilled but that was done very promptly. Turn down as expected and everything was immaculate when we returned from dinner. The AC is now linked to the patio doors, which is a great idea, but for our last night I think there was something wrong and the AC was not kicking on after I closed the patio doors. Hmmmmm. One couple in our group found the beds firm, to the extent that it affected their sleep. The rest of us were fine though.

SPA: We both earned massage credits for a timeshare presentation and got the 80 minute signature couples massage. It was outstanding. They opened the windows and we had a sea breeze coming through the beautiful couples room, and the therapists were excellently trained and customized the experience for each of us. We used the Thalasso pool, steam room, hot tub, and cold plunge, all excellent. One couple did the Temazcal and really enjoyed it. We also used the fitness center and did yoga on the pier... Gaby was an excellent instructor, facilities were great.

OTHER NOTES: We did a dine around at Secrets The Vine in Cancun proper and ate at Sea Salt. Then we went dancing in their piano bar. Very nice and brand-spanking new hotel but we were so pleased we chose Zoetry. It was a blast to get off of the property, but the cab was expensive and the food not up to the Zoetry standard. Only one bartender for the whole nightclub. Bartender on the roof (Cesar) was outstanding.

We went to a Vacation Club presentation at Secrets Maroma. Again, food was pretty good and the resort was nice but we were happy to return to Zoetry. As for the Vacation Club presentation, tough decision but we decided to pass. If you have a few hours and want to see another resort, it's worth it. If you are staying only a few days in Mexico, don't take the time away from Zoetry to go.

Overall, Zoetry exceeded the high expectations of our group and we highly recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views... there are palm trees between rooms and the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank MCRonnyV
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just returned from a week at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, and it was wonderful.

One of the best things about our stay was the wonderful staff, especially Rafa (concierge), Miguel (on the beach), and all the others in housekeeping, front desk (Laura), room service (Felix, Nelson, Rafael), bell hops (Antonio) and the restaurants (Alfredo in Kaax, Luis in La Canoa) with whom we interacted. They were warm, friendly, helpful and really did everything they could to make our stay perfect.

I had read a few critical comments on TripAdvisor before we went, and upon arriving at Zoetry realized that most of the complaints could have been remedied by simply asking. Not enough loungers or umbrellas on the beach? Just ask, and Miguel will set them up for you wherever you like (we preferred to be away from the pool, near our room, and every morning two chairs and an umbrella would be arranged on the beach and prepared with towels for us). Bored with or don't like what's on the menu? Simply ask for something else: we enjoyed different types of quesadillas, coconut shrimp, grilled meats, vegetables, egg dishes, etc., just by asking for them, even though none were on the formal menus. The food and drinks were so good, in room service and every restaurant. The bartender in the Library Bar makes a mean "special" margarita, we loved the sparkling wine, and we really enjoyed trying tequila cream.

We enjoyed the complimentary hydrotherapy circuit in the spa (as well as a Thalasso treatment, which was worth every penny), the boat trip to Puerto Morelos (even if the shopping there was a little bland), and the sunset catamaran cruise (fun!). The boat crews were especially entertaining and even let us steer the catamaran.

The resort is very quiet, and we seemed to be some of the youngest guests there (mid-30s). Though there is 24-hour room service, the bars close at 11:30, there is no disco or club, and even the pool was quiet all day, with no party-party music playing. This was exactly what we expected and wanted, but others may want something a little livelier.

A couple minor less-than-perfect things: We had to wait about a half-hour to be picked up at the airport when we arrived. We learned that a large group left that morning, so we assume there were scheduling challenges, but it was still a little awkward standing around outside. The transfer also was by van, not limo as we had been told by the US rep who made our reservation, and "private" seems to refer to the transportation being by the resort rather than by taxi or shared shuttle, as we had to share the ride with another guest (not a big deal to us, but not exactly as advertised).

There were also a lot of mosquitoes, and we were quite bitten up during the night despite our care to keep the doors closed. Our room had an outdoor shower with glass doors with gaps between the panels that we assume let them in; some mosquito netting on the beds in these rooms might help. We noticed that they sprayed in the evening, but it didn't get rid of all the pesky little bugs.

There is quite a bit of seagrass that washes up on the beach, and though they work hard to clear the sand some may not like to swim in the water (we did, and it was fine).

Others complained that the beds are high (they are) and hard (yes again, but we found them to be very comfortable -- though an extra blanket in the room would have been nice).

These things are minor, though, and are far and away outweighed by the overall experience. If you want to totally relax and be pampered, the Zoetry is for you. We had an absolutely wonderful week and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Loved our beachfront room with private plunge pool, but there is noise from the room above
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,372 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!