“Paradise for these Gluten Free Vegetarians!”

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
“Paradise for these Gluten Free Vegetarians!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was our second trip to Zoetry Paraiso in the past 2 years. We had amazing time our first vacation and had always thought about coming back. When we planned our vacation for this year, we had thought about going to other resorts to experience some place new as we don't often get a chance to take a vacation.

However, after researching every all inclusive resort we could find, we decided that it would be best to revisit Zoetry Paraiso. We are vegetarians and I (Jennifer) am Gluten Free as well. Our dietary restrictions made our selection really tough when finding an all inclusive resort. Of those resorts, we did find some that said they offered an alternative menu but when reading reviews, we found that this was not the case. BUT, the last time we were at Zoetry Paraiso, they were super awesome about accommodating my Gluten Free dietary restriction (at the time we weren't vegetarians) so I had faith they would be able to do the same with our new vegetarian diet.

Here is our breakdown of this paradise:

Food:

We can't even tell you how hard it is to eat out at home yet at an all-inclusive resort in another country...and they did an AMAZING job accommodating our diet!!! We enjoyed every meal!!

Breakfast is just absolutely amazing with so many choices. Go for the natural yogurt with nuts, raisins and honey--YUMM! Chilaquiles was our other fav. They always had yummy gluten free rolls/bread waiting for me. Just have to make a special shout out to Cesar! He's super friendly with a great personality and always put a smile on our faces every morning.

Lunch was spent at the pool. We often ate from the pool menu from both restaurants at the Hippos Bar or at our chairs . Loved the chips with jalapeno peppers, salsa, guacamole and hummus and grilled veggies. They even made us veggie sushi (replacing the fish with broccoli, carrots and asparagus) and it was delicious. My husband tried a couple of the pizzas and said they were really good.

Dinner: We spent many nights at La Canoa which was awesome! One of my fav meals was the risotto and they added more veggies and made it a main corse for us. You must get desert! In particular, the Chocolate Sabayon with caramel and the Flourless Chocolate Cake with coconut ice-cream..all we can say is wow!

We had really great meals at El Chiringuito! We loved the intimate, outdoor, romantic setting with with string lights. Only thing we would advise doing is bringing mosquito spray with you. Mosquitos love me and I get bit often at home but I think they loved me more in Mexico even though I sprayed the repellent..so get some strong stuff! haha

Rooms:

Can't even say enough about the rooms. We absolutely love the decor, the plunge pool and the beautiful bathroom. We stayed in Macao and it's so worth it. You have the best view of the beach plus you can hop over the wall and walk right to the beach! Housekeeping service was so great! Although, tips are included, we felt the need to tip because they were just so wonderful.

Hotel/Pool/Spa:

The setup, design and open airy feel of this hotel is just simply amazing. When you first walk into the entrance, the view of the ocean is just insane! You feel the cool breeze and you are wowed! We love the rustic elegant feel of the decor and all of the little details. The whole place is just beautiful!

We mainly hung at the pool. The design is great as it allows you to have your own spot with a view of the ocean. There is no crowding and plenty of room to swim around. We love how there are three separate pools connected in the middle by a water walkway--so cool! The lounge chairs are very comfortable and they also will set up an umbrella in case you want some shade.

We didn't use the spa for any services this time but our previous time we had an AMAZING couples massage on the pier in the morning. It's seriously the best deep tissue massage I've had in my life! If it wasn't for the fact we got sooo sunburnt the day before we were planning on doing the massage this trip, we would have done it in a heartbeat. Such a beautiful, relaxing experience. We loved using the steam room and jacuzzi at the spa! And the heated salt water pool at the Thelasso Center is just so awesome and one of the most relaxing places we've been in!

Service:

It was so great seeing the same guys from our last vacation. We felt so at home and the fact that some remembered us made us feel very special. Everyone is happy, friendly, and helpful. Just to name a few (they are all awesome) that provided us with excellent service are Federico, Antonio, Eric, Carlos, Miguel, Cesar, Alex, Andreas & Edgar. They all made our trip so amazing with their excellent customer service. Also, we wanted to send a special shout out to Valter and Raffa who were just amazingly helpful and attentive to anything we needed during our stay. Thank you both so much!

Activities:

One of the first things we mention to other people when they ask is that you go to this place to relax and unwind from stress. There are no parties or crazy entertainment and that's how we like it! However, that doesn't mean there isn't anything to do either. In fact, we noticed more activities were added since we lasted visited. Check out your sundial each night to see what's available the next day. To give you an idea they had Aqua Aerobics, Spanish lessons, Tequila tasting, cigar rolling, wine tasting, ceramics painting, bracelet making class, photos with iguanas & monkeys and the mayan ceremony experience (You HAVE to do this!) just to name some.

Make sure you book your sunset Catamaran ride. It's truly a romantic, beautiful experience that we still talk about. Try to grab the seats on the netting in the front of the boat if you can. These seats are the best as you have privacy, can lay out and enjoy your champagne! There is only room for two couples on the netting so get there quick :)

One other thing we recommend is to set your alarm and get out on the beach to watch the sun rise over the ocean. There is no one out there and it's simply beautiful. We did this two mornings in row and wished we did it everyday! After the sun rose, we talk a nice walk on the beach followed by breakfast which was just an amazing way to start the day.

Overall, if you are looking for relaxation, peace, happiness and amazing service than Zoetry is the right place for you! We were so sad to leave since we had such an amazing time. We loved it and can't wait to go back! :)

Room Tip: Choose Macau for a beautiful room close to everything with an amazing view of the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jennlynn79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I went here for our 15 year anniversary back in June of 2013. This place was amazing! I have traveled to Mexico quite a few times and have stayed at 2 of the 3 Secrets Resorts in Riviera Maya. This resort was phenomenal!

When we arrived at the airport we were received by a Mercedes mini van. We didn't have to share our van with any other people or drop off at an other resorts. It was all ours! When we got in the van, there was champagne chilling on ice for us. A great beginning to our vacation.

The staff was so nice and accommodating. Miguel at the pool was the BEST! I recommend sitting in his section at the pool. He would bring us a bucket of ice and a bucket of beers with out us having to ask. Our chairs would be set up and ready for us every day. He would bring us fresh towels and a lot of water. He is always one step ahead!

All of the rooms are suites and they all face the ocean. The view was breathtaking. It is in the middle of the jungle so there are quite a few lizards around. But they are completely harmless and pretty much stay in the bushes.

Generally when you are going to an all inclusive resort you are not going for the food. Having said that, the food was great! Everything was fresh and delicious. The number of restaurants is few, however, you can take the shuttle to one of the Secrets resorts and eat there.

The only thing that was a little annoying was the "fancy restaurant" They require men to wear pants. My husband didn't bring any, but they did find us a pair for him to wear. Reiterating how accommodating and helpful the staff are.

We did use the spa once and it was nice. The only negative thing I would say is, I had the last appointment of the day and after a relaxing massage, I was rushed out of the spa. One of the maintenance crew yelled at me and told me the spa was closed and I needed to leave. That was unpleasant.

All in all I would recommend this resort over and over again. It isn't Adult Only, however they do discourage you to bring children. There aren't any children's activities. 99% of the guests are couples. When we stayed there were 2 or 3 families with babies, but they didn't bother us.

If you have one choice choose this resort! Good Luck!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pamela R
info_sesrc, at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Bix a bel twotraveler,

On behalf of Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Management and Staff we would like to thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments of your stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were overjoyed to read through your review to learn that you can’t wait to come back to us due to the service of our staff, food, areas, rooms and food.

Please be certain that Antonio, Eric, Miguel, Federico, Jimmy, our Guest Assistant staff and the rest of our family here in our paradise will receive your compliments. We appreciate your recognition as this motivates us to keep fulfilling our guests expectations.

We look forward to have the honor of hosting you back in our paradise soon.

Warm regards,

Gina Orefice
Social Media Coordinator
Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After a short stay in Cozumel we decided, above all the other stunning resorts in the Riviera Maya, to stay at the Zoetry Paraiso. I was SO excited about this resort after reading all the amazing trip advisor reviews and unfortunately, was let down even before we arrived.

I emailed with the GM and the concierge the week prior to our arrival to ensure our pick-up was set up perfectly. We were taking the ferry from Cozumel to PDC so it wasn't the standard airport pickup. I emailed the hotel AGAIN 3 hours before our arrival to ensure everything was confirmed and they assured me we were all set. So, after an hour ferry ride where I became ill, you can imagine my dismay when there was no pickup at the ferry dock. We didn't want to use my cell phone as I didn't sign up for roaming, so we lugged our bags around for 45 minutes as we walked blocks and blocks trying to find where we might be picked up, but to no avail. We finally got in a taxi at 3:35pm (our pickup was scheduled for 3pm and the ferry arrived at 2:45pm so in my mind, I thought they would have been there by 2:50 or so). When we arrived at the resort 45 minutes later, we were told that there was an accident and that's why the driver was late (though there were no signs of an accident or traffic when we were driving). The worst part though, was when we got back to our room, I had an email from the hotel at 2:30pm saying that the driver had been there but couldn't find parking. Two different stories: Both probably false. I don't appreciate being lied to and it left a sour taste in my mouth. We were told that the GM was going to send us "extra amenities" by the concierge, whatever that means, but they never came.

Other disappointments:
-The spa was nice, but the esthethician, giving me a facial, in hopes of selling me their product told me that my skin was "really bad" and I have "lots of spots" and that I "shouldn't wear makeup ever again." OK - I get a lot of facials here in LA and I've never ONCE been told I have bad skin! I don't, btw. It was so rude and off-putting.
-The second night we had chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of Moet in our room with a note that said "Congratulations John (my husband) on taking the bar!" Having not told the resort my husband had just taken the Bar, I was confused so we called the front desk and asked who the strawberries and champagne were from. The concierge said that they were a gift from the resort. Low and behold, my coworker emailed me the following morning asking if we'd gotten the gift!!!! IT WASN'T FROM THE RESORT AT ALL! AND, they got the note wrong too. And obviously it was supposed to be signed from my coworkers.
-The food? Not good. We basically survived on chips/guacamole and ordered plain quesadillas. All the reviews I read about La Canoa are shocking to me: my steak was overdone, tough as nails and they served it with a butter knife instead of a steak knife: weird.
-The icing on the cake was the first night when we were in our room and the room was suddenly FILLED with this foul-smelling cloud of SMOKE. Mind you- our windows/doors were closed. It smelled completely toxic. So much so that my husband and I both felt sick to our stomachs. We called the front desk and they denied any knowledge of said smoke even though it was one of their employees spraying it, and told us they'd send up "aromatherapy." They never did. But every night, the same smoke filled our room at exactly 7pm. Classy.
-Also, the bed is ROCK HARD. I got sick on the last day and was in bed all day WISHING that it was more comfortable. I swear, you have to buy a massage after a few nights here because your back is a WRECK!
-Lastly, don't expect the clear blue water of Cozumel or Isla Mujeres. The water here is murky and mostly green. Not the hotels fault, but definitely not what we were expecting.

I will say, the one redeeming quality about this place (for the most part) were the employees. Everyone said hello when you passed them, many of them went out of their way to please you. I'm talking about servers, bartenders, pool attendants, and housekeeping here. I'm not talking about upper-management, which is in serious need of improvement. The concierge made false promise over false promise, flat out was dishonest about the gift from my coworkers, and the toxic mosquito spray and we never heard from the GM again after being promised "additional amenities."

It really is a shame. If you're from California and are used to a certain level of service and luxury, DON'T go here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shadesovgray
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just got back and can't wait to go again to this resort! First, people who don't like the resort are mostly the party crowd. The resort is beautiful, rooms are very spacious with wonderful view. The bed is a little bit high, but it is very comfortable, it is not as hard as some reviewer said but maybe because we asked for a softer bed. The resort itself is very relaxing, the moment you step foot into the place it makes you feel welcomed and relax. We arrived with the private transportation with cold towel and sparkling wine, the ride was smooth and easy. All the front desk staff are fantastic, they are always very helpful and so cheerful to everyone. The staff are what really makes this place amazing, they are always so attentive and cater to your every need, a special thanks to Antonio, Eric, Miguel and Federico, they are simply the best, they remember our drinks, always reserve a deck chair for us every morning. All restaurant are great, food are very well prepared, dinner at Conoa is always amazing, the mole at Kaax is one of the best. We had lunch around the pool, as we didn't want to go back to the room and get change, you order anything off the menu and they will try their best to make it for you. We ordered room service a few times, and the service was fast, is always under 30 minutes. They make amazing drinks, no bar mix, all cocktail are delicious! Go see Jimmy at the library bar, he makes amazing cocktail and we learn so much about tequila from him. The beach is not the greatest but the pool makes up for it, and the salt water pool in the spa is wonderful and very relaxing. We went on the sunset cruise, it was a wonderful experience, the sunset is beautiful and is a nice way to start your night before dinner. There are few mosquitos, but that's normal, no matter which resort you go they are always there, so it doesn't bother us all that much. We walked to secret silversand just down the beach, it was a completely different crowd, we just can't wait to get back to Zoetry! We meet so many wonderful people while we were there, everyone is so pleasant and enjoy the resort immensely. This is by far one of the best resort in mayan riveria, if you are looking for a relaxing and romantic vacation, this is the place to go!

Room Tip: We were at Durban, it was african theme decor, we loved it. Try to get a room that is close to the l...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twotraveler
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Bix a bel twotraveler,

We look forward to have the honor of hosting you back in our paradise soon.

Warm regards,

Gina Orefice
Social Media Coordinator
Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya
Tampa Bay , FL
Reviewed August 7, 2013

It is an a 5 STAR all inclusive resort that is not listed as Adult Only because children are welcome although there is no supervised program for them. There were a few children when we were there in late June through July 4 holiday. The children did not change the ZEN atmosphere of this resort since they were all well behaved. Rafael, the head Concierge escorted us around the resort and took us to our room upon arrival. Very nice touch! Rafa was always visable and willing to exceed your expectations thoughout the week we were there. This resort is designed for total relaxation so make sure you like the person you are with. It allows for great bonding and romance. The pool attendants and Bar staff could not have been more pleasant and accomodating as was all of the restuarant staff with a special thanks to Hugo who always made us feel special. We were treated like royalty at this resort. The accomodations were exquisite and very high end amenities were included. The only inconsistancy was that the maid service did not come in to clean or turn down at the same time so we were always bumping into them when they wanted to clean or service. It is best to communicate what time you prefer them to clean and turn down. As mentioned in a few other reviews, the menus do not change but there is a good variety if you are staying for no more than a week. May I suggest that if you do not like fish, this may not be the place to stay. Their fish was so fresh, we ate it every day. The food overall is very healthy and never excessive. We did not order off the Room Service menu.
The only thing that I missed personally was some music in the evenings and even music by the pool during the day. Some sort of entertainment would have been nice at night. There was suppose to be a jazz guitarist one night but he showed up late. The duo guitar players were wonderful on a few evenings while we were dining.
We were invited to go to the neigboring Secrets SilverSands ( sister property of AM Resorts) for a 4th of July party. Those of us that went could not wait to get back to Zoetry. What a difference in the overall feel of an all inclusive resort....Silversands was definetely more for a party all night long group. Lastly, I have to say to all the staff at Zoetry that made us feel like family, Alberto, Rafa and so many others, you have a special place in our hearts. We hope to see you again soon. Carinos!!!

Room Tip: The closer you are to the main buildings of the resort the better especially if there is inclement w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Robmar
alabama
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Yes, I would go back...tomorrow!!!! This resort is all inclusive but without the large buffets, loud music, and sensory overload. The size of the resort is perfect!!! The staff, especially Victor, Miguel, and Jimmy were very friendly and attentive to us all week long. It was wonderful to have our poolside spot set up everyday without having to search for a few chairs. The food is made to order and was excellent. The sunset cruise is a must!!! Room service for breakfast before an early excursion was not such a good idea as it did not make it before we had to leave. That minor problem did not detour my opinion of this fine resort. We had a simply fantastic time.

Room Tip: Beautiful view from 2nd and 3rd floor suites.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank gazooba1
Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Don't waste your time even thinking about not paying the money to go here. The hotel is amazing, the rooms are magnificent, the food is nothing short of splendid, the drinks and service are top notch.
Everything at this hotel screamed perfection. The wait staff were always attentive and kept the drinks and food coming. The room service was great! Unlimited bar service and an amazing in room breakfast, every day that we requested.
Make sure to bring some dressy clothing, as the nicer restaurant makes evenings there grand. The live mariachi band and beautiful ambiance is nice.
When eating breakfast or lunch outside, beware of the angry birds. They swipe in and steal sugar packets, bread and small items. Be warned.

Room Tip: If you're afraid of birds, don't go. These things are bold and will steal from your table. W...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!