“Warning - children can ruin your vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
“Warning - children can ruin your vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Why would a resort as lovely, peaceful and small as this allow children? Of the 90ish rooms, 87 had to put up with the 3 that had children - one that screeched constantly and could be heard throughout this small resort. You knew if this child was on the beach, at the pool, which restaurant they were in. Would you want to sit in the outdoor restaurant (less than 30 seats) with 2 strollers and one screeching child - how's that for romantic? How about sitting in the main bar (approx. 25 seats) and have 2 strollers there? Need I mention diapers in the only pool there?
It makes no sense why they allow this as it does not fit the ambience at all. The best example was I had a massage out on the end of the pier (a wonderful luxury) and just listened to the waves hitting the pier....and yup the screeching child on the beach!
It is such a shame that this resort that does everything else so well drops the ball on this - we will not go back until they change their policy - there are plenty of other resorts to choose from.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Laurie D
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Laurie D,

Thank you for your time to post a review and for your visit.

We regret to know about your discomfort caused by the presence of kids during your stay.
We are open to family reservations, however our resort atmosphere and facilities are adult oriented. We always advise our clients that we do not host any specific activities dedicated to children due to the concept of our resort. It is not common to see children on property for the same reasons. We cannot guarantee that there will be no children during your stay.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you one more time to offfer a truly memorable stay.

Kind Regards,

Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I just got back from a 6 night stay at Zoetry. Overall, the resort is great and it's secluded and private. I believe it was only built 10 years ago - but seems a little older than that. Apparently, it used to be frequented by celebrities and there are a few pictures of them around the resort. I can understand why it has been rated a 5 diamond resort before, but not sure if it still holds up to that standard. The staff is absolutely great and they make you feel very welcome. Because of the attentive staff, 3x day maid service, private boat excusions and good food - I can see why they were given the award before. But, due to the limited activities, small/dated spa and good (vs. excellent) food - it seems like more of a 4 diamond resort.

Activities: I've stayed at Secrets resorts before (also in the Riviera Maya area) and I feel some of them are nicer - but they are larger and have more of an "active" vibe. Zoetry is smaller and more private, which I thought my husband and I might prefer - but we actually missed some of the action and evening shows/entertainment. Part of the reason was because there was a tropical storm and we were stuck inside for the first 4 days and they cancelled what few activities they had planeed for guests (cooking classes, pottery, etc). They did offer the "Sip and See" program - which I recommend, so that you can at least go try some other restaurants at their partner resorts. We went to Secrets Silversands (I've stayed there before) and it was only a $10 cab ride each way. I also highly recommend doing the included sunset sail. The boat is awesome and it's a fun cruise. A couple nights we were there - they did have a live singer or sax player at the Hippos Bar. Kids are allowed at the resort, but we only saw a few. Guests were mostly couples and all ages ranging from 20's on the honeymoon to 60's-70's.

Spa: I always go to spas when I travel and I have to say I was disappointed in this one. The facilities are small, despite the large salt water pool outside (which is great). There is one small whirlpool and cold plunge and a tiny steam room/dry sauna area for men and women that is right outside the whirlpool, so there is limited privacy and room to relax. I had a facial and it was just so-so.

Food: The food at the restort was good - but there are only 2 restaurants: Kaax and La Canoa. They did have a grill outside during the day for meat/grilled fish - but all the sides came from the other 2 restaurants. They did have a small sushi area outside Kaax. My favorite meal was probably breakfast at Kaax outside (you can watch the macaws and iguanas). They have a lot of options from french toast, to eggwhites. However, they never really changed the menu the whole time we were there, except for the "Wellness Menu" which was great (small menu card with 2-3 healthy options). Overall, the food was healthy and nice portions (not too much) and the calories were posted on the menus, which was nice. Almost every time I go to Mexico I have at least a small amount of stomach trouble (maybe just from eating more food!) and this time that didn't happen at all. Their "still" water is actually from large bottles and then they also offer sparkling. Our room was also stocked daily with waters, juice, cokes or anything else we wanted. The drink/food service by the pool was also great, but again...it was from the same restaurants so your options are a little limited. We never ordered room service because it was the same menu from Kaax restaurant. Also, I was a little disappointed in the seafood there. You'd think being in that area - they would specialize in seafood. I would have liked to see more grilled fish options, crab or lobster, etc. and not just grouper or sea bass. They promote La Canoa as one of the top restaurants in the area - but I thought it was just good and not excellent. It was was a little hit or miss depending on what we ordered. I will say this though - their desserts were Fabulous!! Even if we ate at another resort or Kaax - we still went back to La Canoa for their desserts (try the flour-less chocolate cake and their "Sabayons" - like gellato). It was also fun to order desert some nights at the "Hippos Bar" (right outside La Canoa) and enjoy the lights out by the pool.

Resort/Rooms: The staff at the resort is great and super attentive. They are all very polite and friendly. I loved all the birds and wildlife onsite including peacocks and a bunch of cool macaws that they let out around the restort on various perches, etc. As for the rooms- they are great and basically like a suite with a large living area. The bathrooms are incredible and have a huge sunken in tub and great large shower. All rooms had an ocean view which was nice. Ours was on the 3rd floor (good view) and far away from main area (they will shuttle you via golf cart). Our room was pretty warm the whole time and I didn't decide to complain until the end and they did offer to switch rooms but we just decided to stay put. The beach is nice but did have some seaweed and it wasn't quite as clear as further south (like around Secrets Maroma Beach). They did have great cabanas/beach beds to use. My husband and I love to snorkel - but it wasn't possible to do at the restort because of all the seaweed and also rough waters (may have just been from the storm). They did offer a snorkel cruise, but because of the weather we weren't able to do it. If you want to snorkel at the restort - I recommend Secrets Maroma Beach.

Overall, we had a good time - but I feel like it's a little overpriced for what is offered.

2 Thank Like2BeFit
Dear Like2BeFit,

We appreciate your time to post a review to share your stay experience. Thank you for your visit.

It is an honor to know that you have enjoyed the friendly staff service, the comfort and view of your suite, and the facilities. Thank you for share your great experience with the sunset catamaran.

As you mentioned before, we are a resort focused on wellness, serenity and romance, this is why you find a difference on the activities and ambiance from other sisters resorts, however it is good to know that you took advantage of the Sip, Savor & See program to enjoy night shows and dinner at the closest sister resort.
We regret to know that we didn´t met your expectations with the food variety, we would like to let you know that we are working on some menu changes for La Canoa in order to offer something new and different with the most highest standards that always have distunguished our AAA 4 diamonds restaurant.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and ofer you a memorable stay.
Kind Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Awesome resort. A little pricy, but you get what you pay for. The room was amazing, wonderful bathroom. The service was perfect. All food from the restaurants and room service was great. Great for honeymooning because the lack of families and kids. Amenities are great. A wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Traveler2008N
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Traveler2008N,

Thank you for your kind comments, it is a pleasure to know that we have exceeded your expectations with the service and the food selection. Thank you for your preference, it was an honor to have hosted you during your honeymoon celebration.

Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

It was a lucky day when I happen upon Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita while hunting for resorts on Expedia. I immediately went to TripAdvisor for reviews and I knew from the reviews that it was exactly where I wanted to go for my 25th year Wedding Anniversary.

It is our first time in Cancun. We've been to Hawaii and a lot of islands on the Caribbean, and for some reason, all the stories we hear about Spring Break just made us think it's more of a place to go to party and to keep away from. With our very hectic work schedule and busy kids, getting away for some relaxation, peace and quiet were top on our MUST list. Zoetry did not disappoint!

All the good things you read about Zoetry here on TripAdvisor are true. From the time you are picked up from the airport, to the time they drop you back off, the quality of service is top notch.

It was the most memorable vacation. The place is truly beautiful and serene. The check in process was flawless as described by many other travelers, with friendly staff to greet you, give you a tour of the property and off to your room with your chilling bottle of champagne and bottle of tequila. Thank you Rudy for coaching us on our very first tequila shots! We loved it so much that it became a daily ritual!

Our room was San Juan, which is 3/4 of the way towards the end of the property, by the tennis courts, on the 3rd floor. It was a beautifully decorated room in tropical colors. The rooms are very, very spacious but our favorite part was the terrace with the lounger. It was the perfect place to read or take a nap when not on the beach or by the pool. I truly enjoyed the Bvlgari bath products. We were not keen on drinking the tap water but glad to find a big bottled water by the sink which is replaced as needed. We ordered room service every morning for our first cups of coffee and a basket of bread before heading down for the day.

We found our perfect spot on the beach in the middle of 4 coconut trees. We asked Victor to put our lounger in that spot and that's where it stayed for 7 perfect days! Victor was the best beach attendant. We missed his great smile and service when he rotates to the pool or the other side of the beach. I felt bad for him since our spot was a long way from the bar but he is constantly asking us what we needed or just even to chat.

We went to Kaax for a late breakfast every morning and had great service from Edgar and Enrique. We enjoyed the lunch menu from Kaax (the Tiramisu is wonderful) but the burger or pizza from the Hippo bar menu weren't bad either. Pretty much, if you asked for something, if they can get it for you, they will try their best. One afternoon, I asked for some shrimp cocktail and Manuel from Hippo RAN (dangerous to do in the pool area!) to the sushi bar since it was already closing for the day.

We had dinner almost every night at La Canoa (when they were open) and had great service from Advel. The food was great. My husband is mostly a meat/potatoes kinda guy but he enjoyed the food and was willing to try different items on the menu, since they are willing to put sauces on the side, skip certain ingredients, etc. We had dinner at the grill one night and the fish was fresh and delicious.

We were so comfortable in our beach spot that sometimes, it is very hard to get up for the many activities around the resort. We did go to Puerto Morelos for the shopping trip (worth it if you want to haggle for souvenirs but that's about it), went on the sunset Catamaran sail and the hydrotherapy at the spa. The cigar wrapping, dancing class, yoga, wine tasting, tequila tasting, etc. all sounded so good, but like I said, it was hard to get up from the perfect spot on the beach.

We inquired about the group tour to Chichen Itza and the Cenote and that was GREAT. The bus can't pick you up from Zoetry since some parts of the road to Zoetry is narrow. You can take a taxi to Secrets Silversands and they will reimburse you for the taxi. If you have never seen the ruins and you have time, do this!!! The private tours are expensive, but the group tour is reasonable and worth every penny.

The bad. There were a couple of things that were not so perfect. One morning, there was a big puddle in front of the doors to the shower and toilet. There was a leak on the ceiling dripping to the floor. We called it in then went on down to the beach for the day. When we came back to the room around 3PM, they still have not fixed it and the room wasn't cleaned yet. I was irritated. They had the whole day. We got ready for an early dinner and by the time we got back to the room, it was clean and the leak was fixed. There were also 2 incidents when the AC didn't seem to be working. Promised to be fixed by 11PM but it wasn't until the next day.

We loved the place so much that we were thinking of bringing our grown kids back next year. We VOLUNTEERED to go to Secrets Maroma for a tour and we know our kids would just love the place and all the activities. Unfortunately, after the initial presentation of their club memberships and the different levels and amounts, and we realized that you don't get much out of the plans that they offer. We declined purchasing a membership. Saying NO took 3 hours. It was horrible. Just when you thought they have given up, they have someone talk to you for "final paperwork" but it's more sales. They are relentless. Our brains were fried but we were steadfast in saying NO.

But with all that, we are coming back! Zoetry has a place in our hearts now and we can't wait to go back to our favorite beach spot and experience the wonderful service all over again!

P.S. Loved being serenaded by Humberto and Horacio every night! Wonderful memories!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our sixth visit to the Paraiso de la Bonita and it continues to get better every time we are here. The facilities are exceptional, the food is outstanding but the service and the people who provide it are the reason we keep coming back. At the pool, Miguel is the greatest and has become a honorary member of our family and Eric and Victor (a recent addition to the staff) also provided exceptional and attentive service during our stay. In the reception area, Rafa did an exceptional job of making sure that all of our needs (really desires) were met and exceeded. In La Canoa, Hugo, Miguel, Eric and Richey Lime (among many others) provided service that was second to none. Further, recent additions and upgrades to the menu made the dining experience even better than in years past. These guys get it right (starting with Valter, the general manager) and we will continue to return as long as they do.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms with the plunge pools are definitely worth the few extra pesos that you will s...
1 Thank sgpeterson0508
Dear sgpeterson0508,

Thank you for your time to write this review and share the great service you have received from our staff. We are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed the food selection. Thank you for your kind comments about the facilities.

We can´t wait for your next visit.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our first time at Zoetry and after reading many of the earlier reviews, we were concerned if we choose the correct resort for the vacation we envisioned!!!

The moment we arrived in Cancun, we were greeted by Mauricio and whisked away in a private mercedes with Champagne and refreshing towels. We knew we were in for a week of luxury and relaxation. We arrived at the resort and were immediately greeted by Ada who welcomed us and showed us around. We were taken to our room that was beautiful but needed a room closer to the main building and were accommodated within an hour with the best suite at the resort, Porto Cervo!!!!

Room - Magnificent views of the naturally beautiful beach, spacious, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was bigger than the bedroom and was spectacular!!!!!!!!!!! The sunken bathtub was the highlight of the room!!!!! Breakfast on the terrace was a great way to start the day!!!!

Food - GROUPER!!!!!!! and GRILLED VEGETABLES!!!!!! were plentiful but no chocolate chip cookies!! The resort is focused on health and wellness but very flexible on the foods you choose from fish, chicken, pasta to a grilled hamburger. The Canoe and Kaax restaurant take alot of pride in the presentation of the food and offering delicious healthy selections. However, it would be great to see daily specials and variety in the menus. Breakfast is the BEST!!!!!!

Service - Fantastic, Wonderful, Exceptional and non-intrusive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Federico at the pool made our week special by having our chaise ready for us each morning. Also, we never asked him for anything as he anticipated every need that we had, from another drink to having lunch at the pool. He is a true gentleman and we want to make sure he gets recognized for a job well done and a great representative for Zoetry!!!!!!!!! Rigoberto took care of us at the grill and made our experience enjoyable!!!! Daniel at Kaax restaurant always knew what we wanted to eat and drink and a true professional!!!! Jimmy at the Library bar made us feel special when creating his signature drinks!!!!!

Spa/activities - World class!!!! Thalasso therapy was amazing and exhilarating. Don't miss the experience!!!!! Salt water pool was fantastic!!!! The Yoga on the pier over the water was hypnotizing and spiritual. The guest instructor was Alex!!!! Don't miss this either!!!! The massage was the BEST EVER!!!!!! A little pricey but well worth it and don't forget to ask about the daily specials!!!!!! Temazcal ceremony is not to be missed and an unforgettable experience. Make sure you book the sunset Catamaran sailing 1 week before your departure.

The total experience is like no other resort!!!! We look forward to our next Zoetry vacation!!!!

Room Tip: No need for a room with a plunge pool. Better view from second or third floor.
Dear DavidNancy3030,

Thank you your preference, to have visited us for the first time. It is an honor to know that you have enjoyed everything from the moment of your arrival, the comfort of your suite, and the food selection, specially at breakfast.
Most important is to know that you have received a personalized and friendly service from the staff.

It is great to know that you took the time to use our Thalasso Spa Center facilities.

We will be waiting for your return.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Perfect honeymoon experience! Great beach and pool. Excellent staff. Rafa from the concierge, Victor, Miguel, and Eric (waiters), and Elizabeth at the front desk made us feel like VIP's the entire stay!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Jonathan T
Dear Jonathan T,

Thank you for your time to post a review, it is an honor to know that you have enjoyed the friendly service, specially from Rafa, Victor, Miguel, Eric and Elizabeth.

We´ll all be waiting for your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,472 reviews

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!