“A wonderful 20th anniversary” 4 of 5 bubbles

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Stamford, Connecticut
“A wonderful 20th anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I won't waste time proferring up what others have. They are all spot with descriptions and pictures of the location, excellent service, food, cleanliness and so on. So this was our experience. We travel the tropics regularly and that includes numerous visits to the Riviera Maya. This was, however, our first visit to Zoetry.
And, it was our 20th anniversary. We were two weary people who needed a relaxing vibe with good food, accomodations and no crowds, buffet lines, or kids, just to enjoy time together.
The Food: excellent. The soups were killer. Especially the seafood broth based. I could have eaten a cauldron with a loaf of crusty bread! Do eat at Chiringuito for Molcajete night; traditional Mexican. The ceviche/sushi bar called Sikil was scrumptous, particulary a scallop/cilantro concoction that was on the lunch wellness menu. The wellness menu (which changes daily) is provided with regular menus at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sushi is fresh and outstanding as well. Anything can be ordered on the pool or on the beach, even though they may offer only the pool menu. Just ask!. I liked not having to sign for anything. When you are done, just leave (a friendly tip, of course). Our last night they made a special dinner for us with fresh (not frozen) lobster with filet mignon. Again, just ask! The food in all restuarants is unique of eachother and excellent. Rack of lamb and other meats were cooked perfectly, as well. Desserts were inovative and interesting. No, we didnt have burgers there. When, in Rome, they say. We did purchase some good wines from the wine cellar, which, were worth it! Miguel, the somalier, was great! As others have said, there is a nutrional value attached to every menu item. Nice touch.
Service:
Mostly excellent. There were a few glitches along the way. One night we didn't receive turndown service. A phone call took care of that, immediately. Beach service was great, but, a little slower than the pool. Not a problem. We were on island time. Once or twice the food arrived quite later than the usual island time in the restaurants. I think this may have been contributed to the see, savor and sip plan. People from other sister resorts were there to try out dinner, so it was more crowded. Laundry service is a fantastic bonus! We used it twice. Both times our things came back the same day. Saves doing a ton of it at home!
Part of the daily replenishment included a bottle of sparkling wine. We are not big into that, so we asked if we could have house wine daily instead. No problem and it was there everyday. FYI, either bring a corkscrew or you will have to ask them to open it as there is none provided in the room. Also, I enjoyed the espresso machine daily. It was replenished as well, as was the refrigerator contents.
SPA: Yes, it is expensive. However, with the daily information sheet that you will recieve (for the following day) with turndown service, there is usually information about 30% off on spa treatments between 8-noon, daily. I used the spa a few times and it was money well spent. The gym is small, but, adequate.
Activities: the sunset cruise was nice. They have a nice Catamaran there. I highly recommend the reef, sail and snorkel cruise. there were 3 couples with a crew of 3. Period. we snorkeled at the reef: good; then anchored for lunch, which, they provide based upon your preferences, including drinks. My husband went on a specialized dive trip on another day. And, there is deep sea fishing boat anchored there, as well.
Accomodations:
the bed was FIRM, but, not hard, we found it very comfortable. We slept on it well. And, we like cushy beds at home. I have stayed in some resorts in other locales in Western Mexico where I had to ask for a pad because it felt like sleeping on the floor. This was not the case. If you need more padding, try asking.
The Bath: I highly recommend asking them to draw a nice romantic bath.. what a treat! Picture will follow, speaks for itself.

The birds were entertaining. Especially, the black birds which we called the AH-YEET birds because that is what they sounded like. They will swoop in and steal a crumble of bread off your plate, but, nothing else. I enjoyed listening to all of the sounds every morning on the plush beds on the balcony, drinking an espresso.
The ROOM: you have all seen the pictures. I highly recommend the 3rd floor. Loved the views and those "beds" on the balcony. The plumbing needs updating a bit in the showers. The AC is also tough to regulate. We found only one evening where it wasnt adequate. A phone call took care of it.
MISC:
Great weather mostly, but, one Monsoon came thru and the staff made us all laugh. Eric, was sweeping the water out of the Hippo bar to no avail. It was funny. FYI, after it rains, its very slippery.
Bottom line, we will return!
We will return!

Room Tip: top floor mid way through resort. It's private without a long walk.
5 Thank tropiclady27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Korean first
Princeton, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited in December 2012. First off - pay no attention to the weather forecasts when you visit this area - they always forecast rain - and we didn't have a drop. It was a bit on the windy side - but that just helped us stay cool by the water :-).
The resort really, really pampers you. The staff is second to none. You can tell that they really train their staff to put customer service first - small things like when a cart meets you on a path way - they stop to let you go by or turn off their lights so they don't blind you - they always greet you - everyone!!! We had a problem with our safe and had to call for assistance -- in about 5 minutes someone was there. The checkin process is fabulous - no waiting at the desk - they bring you straight to your room to check in - give you a tour of the property. 1st class treatment.
The rooms are gorgeous. The favorite part is the terrace - it is very private - no walking out and seeing your neighbor. This allowed us to have private breakfast out there - it was lovely.
The other reviews are correct on 2 things -- beds are HARD and yes there are 'noseeums' that bite when dusk comes. I wasn't bothered in our room - just patio.
The grounds are very nice. It was neat to have the birds there to talk to and watch each day. The beach does have a lot of seaweed wash up on it - but they are always out there trying to clean it up. I didn't feel like it was a great beach to walk on - but nothing that ruined my experience by any means.
They had a $200 promo credit going when we were there - we didn't use at all - didn't really see that this was of much value. The spa was overpriced.
The Food: Good - BUT - I was really craving some pasta or messy enchiladas by the 5th day. They are serving 'wellness' - so the menus do have calories, etc. My husband always ordered 2 entrees -- they looked at him a bit oddly when he did this...things are cooked 'modified' so that it's healthy. We are your avg american 'unhealthy' eaters -- so we did tire of the menu after 7 days. I think it would have been nice if they had 'healthy' and 'not so healthy' options. (especially for dessert :-)
If the food were different - I would return - but because of the limited menu - we will probably try somewhere else on our next trip.
Lastly - this is not an adults only resort - there were a few young children during the first half of our stay. And guess what - they were right below us -- and you guessed it - the little one liked to cry at about 6 am each morning and from about 5pm - 8 pm (sometimes later) each night - was a tad cranky little one. We were extremely happy when they checked out. Then no more kiddies... That also reaffirmed my desire to be at adults only next time - as you just never know.... I really don't know why people would want to bring children here. It's very adults focused. Nothing at all for children here.

6 Thank CinMinnesota
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear CinMinnesota

We would like to thank you for your time to post a review and share your stay experience. Your comments are very important for us to identify and correct our opportunity areas, this way we will keep the highest standards in service and facilities which always have distinguished us.

We are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed the staff service, they are always looking the best way to pamper our guests in every moment. Thank you for your kind comments of the rooms and the grounds conditions.

We noticed your comments about the food selection, and we would like to invite you one more time to please with your food preferences, we elaborated a wellness menu, but our guests can have the option to request for something that isn´t of the menu and we will make everything possible to prepare something according to their preferences.

We are focused to be an adult-only resort, however guests have requested previously to bring their childrens, this is not a common practice because they have been informed about the adult rate that they need to pay for the childrens, no matter their age, and also they are warned that our resort does not have a children´s area or activites for them.

We would love to have the opportunity to host you again soon and offer you an even more memorable experience in this paradise.

Sunny Regards,

Karla Martinez
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita
info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com
TheJB23
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

It's also the only honeymoon I ever had, but I can't imagine it being better than the experience I had at Zoetry. I spent weeks looking at hotels all over the globe and after reading a combination of the reviews here and a glowing recommendation from Yahoo Travel I decided Zoetry was the place for us. After the stress of having a post-hurricane wedding on Long Island, spending nine days at the most relaxing place on earth was perfect.

Having read literally hundreds of reviews about the property there are some important things I want to point out. First, the formal dress code at La Canoa is not nearly as militant as some people make it out to be. If you're the type to consider designer jeans "formal," you should probably go elsewhere. All you need are shoes, a collared shirt and pants that aren't jeans. Second, when going outside anywhere on earth there are bugs, and it can get windy. On my seven trips to the Yucatan it has always been memorably windy. They do everything they can to keep the bug population to a minimum short of following you with a fly swatter. Third, I went in the ocean numerous times during low tide and there was no seaweed at those times. Fourth, no one tries to sell you anything, and you can get the coupon book by spending no more than 10 minutes talking to someone at The Library.

I stayed in Khajuraho, possibly the hardest suite name to pronounce, but it was in a perfect spot, on the second floor just past the crocodile pit. Yeah, they have a pet crocodile. The room was amazing and during my entire stay I never saw or heard anyone staying near me. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was enormous. As I've found in most hotels in Mexico, the hot water situation can get a little dicey, but you just have to find that area between scalding and freezing that you're happy with. You are told during your welcome tour that certain items, namely the wine and liquor, in the mini bar are not refilled. You shouldn't need them refilled since you can get anything you want whenever you want. We ordered a snack and a coffee from room service every day. The service was fantastic and everything on the menu was amazing. I know because I ordered everything on every menu at least once.

Everything we ate at every restaurant was cooked and presented perfectly. I ran into two people who said they weren't happy with the food and it turned out they didn't like the hamburgers or pizza. I advised them to stay home next time. The pizza, by the way, is the best I've had anywhere in Mexico. The servers at all the restaurants, the pool, the bars and the beach work very hard to make sure you are happy. This isn't one of those all inclusive's where none of the staff care who you are. Literally everyone I interacted with knew my wife and I by name. As others have said before, tipping goes a long way. I was sure to have fives and singles in my pocket at all times and liberally handed them out.

We had no trouble signing up for anything we wanted to do. We did cigar rolling, the sunset cruise, a trip to Puerto Morales, the cooking class and a private dinner. We had booked the dinner on the beach, then moved to the pier, and when it was very windy that night, the hotel offered to move us to the wine cellar which we think was even better than the first two options. I also managed to drop my sunglasses in the ocean while getting on the boat to Puerto Morales. When we got back, I found out the staff had jumped in after my sunglasses and had them on the dock! That's good service. We also did an outside trip to Chitzen Itza (which was stunning), but after being away from our hotel for a few hours we were dying to go back.

We used the salt water pool and hot tub at the spa whenever we felt like it. They explain that you can't just walk in from the pool area because you need to shower prior to using them. There was rarely anyone else in either the hot tub or the pool when we went in. We made and subsequently cancelled reservations for the hydrotherapy without any issues.

All in all, this was the best hotel I have ever stayed at and I will absolutely be going back as soon as I can. I said it the moment I arrived at Zoetry and I will continue to say it: If you can't be happy at Zoetry, you can't be happy anywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheJB23
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We've gone on many many vacations before but I have never written a review until now because it is so very deserved. We stayed at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya from 11/24/12-12/1/12 to celebrate my husband's cancer remission. We started the year on a major low. The vacation at this lovely resort exceeded our expectations and is ending the year at the polar opposite.

Our accommodations were beautiful. We stayed in the Macao unit and at first we had concern because it was right next to the restaurant. After a few short hours, we noticed that noise wasn't an issue ANYWHERE at the resort. It is a very quiet resort and exactly what we were looking for. We actually loved the fact that we could hop the balcony wall and be at the pool and restaurants within seconds. The morning sunrise from bed was gorgeous! We didn't use the plunge pool much so probably wouldn't book this type of room again but it was nice. There was also a "bed" next to the pool and when it rained one afternoon, we took a nap while listening to Christmas music (Tip: Pandora doesn't work in MX but I <3 Radio does).

The food was spectacular. When booking at an all-inclusive, there are often worries of second rate food but we are major foodies and thought it was outstanding (with the exception of the room-service pizza but in fairness, we've had pizza elsewhere in Mexico and think that's how they make it). I loved the fact that we didn't come home 10 pounds heavier and I believe it's because nothing was processed and everything was made fresh daily. There are plenty of healthy options as well as typical fare. The ceveche and sushi were outstanding (jalepeno roll was great!). The guacamole was also outstanding and I ate it every chance I could and even in the morning on my whole wheat pita in place of the plain avocado. i couldn't get enough!

The common areas are decorated beautifully and extremely clean. Those who work at the resort make a huge effort to know everyone's last name and greet you every time they see you. The pool was warm and the pool chairs were very comfortable. The beaches were constantly being cleared of seaweed which is a constant effort on the resort's part to keep it clean. The spa was nothing spectacular. I had a good massage but weirdly enough, the massage therapist only massaged the back side of my body. It was good but I just never had one where I wasn't instructed to turn over. The catamaran trip, which is included, is a nice touch.

The service was exceptional! After Rafa gave us a tour of the resort, he led us to our room without the need to go to a check-in counter. There isn't one. After we settled in, we noticed the television wasn't working. We don't watch a lot but like to keep up on the news in the morning over coffee. We called the matter in and within moments, the television was switched out. We also noticed that the plunge pool was cold but had a portion of the wiring to heat it. We spoke to the manager and he informed us that they are in the process of adding heaters to all of the plunge pools and that ours was the first unit to get one. The next day, he had maintenance run a wire approximately 200 yards to an electrical panel just so we would have heat. To us, that was over the top service. In a mega-resort, that would never happen. Pepe, a pool attendant, was our favorite employee. He knew exactly what we liked to drink, what time we drank it, and made sure we were never in need of anything. He even got us quesadillas between the official breakfast and lunch hours on a daily basis. He literally ran around the pool to service the guests. He definitely earned his tips. In fact, after we met some other couples and moved to the other side of the pool, we felt so guilty as if we abandoned him and his zone. My husband felt so bad that he still tipped him a few more times when he wasn't even taking care of us. Carlos, the bartender, was also excellent. He even knew my husband liked a screwdriver late morning with more vodka than the typical screwdriver so called it (and perhaps him : )), "50-50." The only negative thing I can think of in terms of service is that the housekeeping came late (around 12:00-1:00) and we even had to sit on the sofa to wait for turn-down service at 9:30 one evening. We never saw any of the housekeepers to speak to about this so we finally made a call about 5 days into the trip and the last couple of nights were better.

I never thought we would meet nice enough people on a vacation to dine with but we did a couple of nights. We even took a van to Secrets Maroma for dinner (on a side note, my husband and I also took the timeshare presentation-don't waste the day unless you intend to buy. It was a decent deal but we already own timeshare. If you don't buy, they get upset and send you back in a junky car after being sent in a much nicer vehicle. We actually found it humorous, probably because we were on vacation). I had been dying to see the resort since we were supposed to go a few years ago but a hurricane redirected us to Bermuda. After seeing it, I'm glad it did. It was beautiful but definitely a HUGE resort and when a resort is that big, service is not as responsive. People were on top of each other at the pool and it was much more active. Without trying to sound snooty (but know it does), the guests seem to be of a different caliber. I'm sure it's right for some but just not for us. Zoetry is more our style. Some of the couples we met seemed to have better deals and I think we paid top dollar but for the purpose of this trip, it didn't bother us. In the future, I'm sure this information will bother us but this trip gave us a chance to celebrate, recoup, and reconnect.

It's a quiet luxury resort that doesn't miss a beat. Without hesitation, I highly highly highly recommend Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya and only hope to go back at some point.

Room Tip: The rooms close to the restaurants on the ground floor are most convenient because you can hop the b...
3 Thank TG4T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Been to about a dozen all inclusives over last 15 years. First the bad then the good.
BAD - not enough bi-lingual staff. This has gotten worse all over Cancun. Too many resorts not enough qualified employees. How many times can you explain the difference between Chardonnay and Cabernet? Plunge pool is a joke- dirty unusable. Our room had no room service menu. Used the expresso pods in our room and requested more to no avail. The DVD player didn't work. The door on the refrigerator was broken nothing was chilled. Tried twice to find out about the spa or credits - no help. No elliptical in the workout area - which is hard to find. They had a salt water pool- in 4 days only saw 2 people in it as they limit the access. Beach is not that nice. Paid extra for an outdoor shower that was missing the cover- it was unusable as people on upper floors could see in. The mini bar in the room should be called the mini-mouse bar. It too was a joke. You do not get a basket of fruit- 3 apples on the table

GOOD - Suite was best we ever had. Room nicely appointed. Bed very comfortable. Don't get a first floor room - no privacy as people and staff walking around. Service in the restaurants was very good. Food very good. The grounds are beautiful. Great art everywhere. you get an upscale feel. Parrots, Iguanas and other wild life are fun to watch. The wine selection was average but the liquor top notch. The bar tender made a great Grey Goose Martini. Pool staff and waiters are very good and responsive. You almost feel like you have butler service.

BOTTOM LINE - This is not a party resort. They push the wellness relaxation theme and it works on the grounds and in the restaurant . Best suite we ever had minus the service and maintenance issues. If the front desk was better organized more service oriented and maintenance of the rooms was better you'd have a 5 Star resort. Forgot to mention our initial indoctrination was terrible. We never saw a hot tub sauna or the Spa. As I said earlier attempts to have someone explain the Spa services and so called "credits" failed twice. But the facility is nice and you can relax there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mike T
Dear Mike T,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit and for your time to post a review and your experience.

Your remarks have been very clear and objective and we apologize for any shortcomings from our side. The areas you have raised are under review with the Department Heads.

We are overjoyed to know that you had enjoyed the room, the facilities and the food

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience

Warm regards,

Karla Martinez
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita
info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Zoetry is a really nice resort and we had a great time. We were able to check a lot of the boxes for what we want in a vacation. Thus, if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation with good food and service a really nice room that has a view of, and is close to, the water and a nice spa, you will be happy. That being said, it is not for everyone and if you need constant activity and socialization it may not be for you. Also, although I think we got good value for what we paid, I am not sure how I would feel from a value perspective if I had paid full price. (Not sure if you can always get a deal but we did). The things that you need to take into account in the value equation:
Every room is ocean view and a true suite with a separate living room and great balcony or patio.Some may have trees blocking the view somewhat but ours was clear view to the beach and water.
You get private (although there may be another couple with you) direct airport transfer service to and from the resort included.
No extra charge for room service.
You can make international calls from your room for free.
You get a free sunset cruise on their catamaran (very nice) and shopping trip in town (but we did not do this).
Free use of tennis court (fake grass court—it was fine) and they will get you a pro if you want a lesson.
Free use of fitness center, sauna, hot tub and salt water outdoor pool even if you do not get a massage. Many resorts charge for this.
Top shelf liquor (we did not have wine).

A few points regarding things that I have seen in a number of reviews and concerned me before we left:
BEACH—We did not go in the water but really enjoyed sitting at the beach. The water is not the beautiful color you see in Cancun and there is some seaweed but we thought the atmosphere was great, as the sand is a beautiful white, easy to walk on and wide. The water does change color depending on the time of day and is green at different times and in different places. You can walk both north and south for at least 15 minutes each way and possibly more depending on the tide. It is windy this time of year.
POOL-Is gorgeous and heated but just know it is not really a pool to do laps in. They have trimmed the plants so you can see the ocean when you are sitting at the pool (but you cannot see the sand on the beach). I thought service at pool was quicker than at the beach, probably just because of the proximity to the bar and restaurants. There is also a salt water pool by the spa with jets that is a little warmer than the regular pool but not as warm as the hot tub in the spa. It is a pain to get to though because even though there is a path between that pool and the regular pool, they keep the gate closed so you have to go around the front of the resort and through the spa to get to it. There are 4 outdoor lounges to sit on and relax in the quiet by the salt water pool.
FOOD/DRINKS: We had some dietary limitations but what we sampled was generally good but not great. Note that you can ask to modfiy things on the menu or ask for things not on the menu and our experience was this was almost never a problem. We did not like the fancy restaurant but I would say that may have more to do with our personal taste for more simple dishes. We liked the food at the outdoor grill better. They did have some top brand liquor (Grey Goose vodka, 1800 anejo tequila and Don Julio Reposado tequila but no single malt scotch).
BUGS-it wasn’t a constant problem but a couple of nights my wife did get bitten and it was enough of an issue for her to wonder if she would go back. I just got one or two bites and it was not a factor for me.

Room Tip: There are 3 levels. We were on the middle level. We thought the plunge pool rooms on the lower level...
5 Thank jsfcbf
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived Nov 26 leaving tomorrow, Dec 3rd.
The pick up from the airport, having a chilled glass of sparkling wine, was a wonderful way to start our vacation.
We were only 30-35 minutes from the time we left the plane to the time we were ushered to our waiting transport.
A private check in in our suite was a very nice touch.
Our suite, Zimbawe, was located about midway down the resort, a 2-3 minute walk to the lobby.
As others mentioned the suites are very impressive, large, on the beach, views are wonderful.
The service is very attentive, gracious and personified.
Food is overall very good, portions of meat is a little too much for me, I would prefer more vegetables served with my meat/fish entrees. Saying, that there are lots of vegetables only options.
Every resort, seems to have a down side, here it is the bugs! I have dozens of small & huge welts that are extremely itchy! Used Off, bug spray, and have an anti itch cream, nothing really helps. We live in an area of Canada that has lots of bugs, and I have never had this many bites. Have no idea what kind of bugs, have seen very few, the bites burn, so I think they must be a type of "noseeums" any way they are awful. We did see and smell them spraying , but didn't seem to make much of a difference.
The beach is very pretty with lovely soft sand, but it isn't very nice for swimming. Service on the beach is wonderful, I recommend double mattresses, lots of towels available, and the staff will set everything up for you with a smile.
The pool is heated, very clean lots of beds, and great service.
We enjoyed the harpist at breakfast, and the 2 gentleman singing & playing guitars in the evening. There was a mentalist one evening who was very entertaining.
The whole resort is spotless,you rarely even see a stray leaf.
At night with all the candles, and lanterns it is truly beautiful,
Overall an excellent resort if you are looking for a relaxing holiday, I recommend the Zoetry, just be aware of the bug issue, maybe bring lots of Deet.

• Stayed November 2012
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,471 reviews

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!