“Honeymoon Paradise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Honeymoon Paradise”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The honeymoon location was a surprise to my wife, which caused a little anxiety on my part to find the perfect place to celebrate our love and relax. Zoetry blew us both away! From the moment we got there we were immersed in relaxation and tranquility (which both adjectives were mentioned during the initial tour of the property). Although our room was not ready when we got there (a very large group was leaving that day, which is not the norm) we simply sat at hippo bar and soaked in the beautiful surroundings and sunshine, along with a few margaritas!

Each and everyday you are pampered by the staff, who are willing to do anything for you. Most of the day time, my wife and I, spent lounging at the pool, catching up on reading, and enjoying the delicious drink concoctions. Eric was the staff attendant that made it truly feel like a vacation. He would be sure that we received everything we needed, not to mention he always had great drink suggestions.

Our room was the 'Tahiti', which was on the first floor. Everything about the room was so spacious! The views were obviously the best part, because every morning the sunrise comes in the windows and the sunset plays unparalleled colors across the sky. While we were there, the Lord blessed us with no rain and the temperature was in the mid 80s all week. The maid service was impeccable and the nightly chocolates (may have just been apart of the honeymoon package) were delicious!

We enjoyed every meal, but our favorite was dinner at the grill [especially if they had Mocajetes night]. We learned quickly that if you are not a big fan of the iguanas then you should be sure not to get the tables at Kaax that are the closest to the ocean, because the iguanas are very curious.

The animals there were unbelievable. While we were there we saw: Iguanas, multiple tropical birds, peacock, albino peacock!, guineas, crocodile, and raccoons.

We stayed for one full week and only left the resort for a one day excursion to do zip lines. We also enjoyed the sunset catamaran cruise and snorkeling [where we say a 5-foot barracuda!]

I absolutely would recommend the Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita.

My only suggestion is to bring some bug spray. We ended up getting a number of sand flea type bites from the beach. Not everyone seemed to have this problem, but it did cause some difficulty sleeping. The hotel does sell bug spray and anti-itch cream, but it is a more expansion price at home. This caused us to mainly stay at the pool rather than the beach, but it did not lessen the enjoyment we had at Zoetry.

Room Tip: All rooms are unbelievable. The plunge pool was nice, but we hardly set foot in it. Tahiti was a dre...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clint h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for a week in June. Everything was excellent right from the start when we were picked up at the airport in a comfortable roomy suv with A/C and were given water and champagne right away. My wife was pregnant so while she couldn't drink the staff at the pool (especially Miguel) took excellent care of her and I by having us a bed by the pool ready every morning with an umbrella and bottled water. Everything we needed or wanted was brought to us right away. The rooms here were also fantastic. We stayed in the Isfahan suite modeled after the country. Everything from the bathroom to the porch and hammock was excellent! The only thing that maybe could have been better is that one of the 3best restaurant had a strict dress code requiring dress pants. I don't typically pack pants with me but they still accommodated us anyway one night. I also loved that it wasn't such a huge resort so there were plenty of room and wasn't overcrowded with people. It was a very relaxing and also fun place and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to vacation in Mexico!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank jdprestw
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay at Zoetry because American Express travel rated it the #1 property in Cancun. That was how simple I thought my decision was when booking this property for my wife's birthday. I called and emailed the property beforehand, and prepared for my wife, a birthday celebration including a spa appointment, a private dinner on the pier, and more. All was great until we arrived at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita.

First, we were checked into our room and the keys didn't work. Not a huge deal but an inconvenience. Then, once we were able to get into the room, the air conditioning clearly wasn't working. We reported it immediately since it was in the middle of what we consider a heatwave but might be normal for this area. We thought, "It's ok, let's make the best of it. - They'll fix this". Well, we couldn't have been more wrong. We were invited in to receive our $200 resort credit. This is a sales pitch on basically their 'Unlimited' package; an hour goes by and they give you some coupons that you can't use on very much of anything. A $360 dinner will allow you to use $60 in coupons, etc. Basically, it was a belabored sales pitch. We went back to our room. Air conditioning still broken...

The room we got was the highest level suite they offer; a private oceanfront suite with private plunge pool. Basically, it's a small stagnant kiddy pool that is covered in black mold and fungus. It's terrifying. The cushions outside were ripped and warn. Basically the place is just run down. It's the oldest property (I believe) on the whole peninsula.

The resort next door is a nudist resort so that could be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. I think it's called Desires.

Anyway, my wife and I go out to dinner at La Canoa, the 5 diamond restaurant on property. Good dinner, great service, very nice and attentive staff. A great experience. Then the sales pitch starts again... How about private dining in the wine cellar? Wouldn't that be nice?

We go back to our room after another 30 minute long spiel...

Air conditioning still broken. Now the room smells heavily of vanilla. Nice smell... Strange... Did I mention the air conditioning is still broken? I call and report it again.

Room service is available 24 hours but it takes over an hour anytime you call. Also, everything on the menu is very very limited. We're talking egg white omelet and quesadillas, no steak, no anything over 500 calories basically. The resort is focused on nutrition and wellness which is odd considering that this is a smoker friendly property. While we were having dinner the only thing that was annoying was the guy smoking a cigar at the table next door. It turns out that cigar rolling is one of the perks at the property so a lot of people smoke there.

So, no air conditioning, and now this vanilla smell.

It turns out that the property has a big cockroach problem that we didn't know about. Well, now night comes and the roaches that have just been fumigated have made their way into our room to die. Yes, most of them making weird noises and curling up and dying. I stepped on one, one bit me, my wife stepped on a cockroach barefoot. God... Just disgusting.

There we layer, in our bed, musty vanilla wafting through the air (the vanilla was sprayed after the fumigation as it turns out to cover up the smell of the fumigation), terrified to leave the bed out of fear of what the hell we'd step on or what we were surrounded by. They also fumigated in the rooms... So, that really wasn't very comforting. So much for wellness.

Well, that was it. I'd had enough. At daybreak. I announced we'd be leaving. We were done. We couldn't do this any longer. We had no hotel to even go to but there was no way we were staying here. I had made a huge mistake by not reading the awful reviews and instead focusing on the good or great ones. The awful ones are true. The others are probably fabricated. It's absolutely nuts. The manager apologized and said she wished she could do more but they were willing to relieve of from the early cancellation penalties. How nice!?!?! Are you kidding me? You ruin my wife's vacation and when we try to escape this hellhole with nowhere to go, you try to even consider sticking us with early cancellation penalties?! The general manager who wouldn't even do us the decency of meeting with us in person apparently wanted us to try staying in another room, maybe a smaller room on a higher floor. At roughly $700US per night, this is insane. We left and ended up at a property owned by the same company (where we are at now - awaiting an early flight home to the US) just down the same beach about 3 miles called Secrets. It's ironic that this property is owned by the same company because this one has working AC, some nice pools, and no roaches. Clean. Nice. A favorable review will follow for Secrets.

My advice to you, if you're considering staying at Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, is to stay anywhere else! Don't ruin your vacation the way these guys ruined my wife's birthday. I will be making this trip up to her for a long long time.

BTW, after all that crap that we went through, here are the things you should know if you do intend on staying there:

1) They have crocodiles as an exhibit on property
2) They only have 1 restaurant open for breakfast and it's not very good, called Kaax (pronounced 'cash' but kaax might be the sound you make after eating there)
3) Room service takes a long long time
4) Air conditioning didn't work in our suite so we can't commend on how it did elsewhere
5) Only 1 very small swimming pool where everyone kind of sits in a big circle like children of the corn
6) Constantly trying to upsell. Only 90 suites on property and they really push tons of programs and activities on property.
7) They have several other properties (including the one we're at now) under the same management company and they don't offer day passes off property to go to those ones (probably because you'd never come back)
8) No blackout curtains
9) Plunge pools are filthy - pictures to follow immediately
10) Cockroaches... Did I mention cockroaches... The management, when we announced we were leaving, had the balls to tell us, "It's us that are invading on their space..." Yeah, well, it's you who are fumigating them and us... So, don't give me any crap about invading their space like we should be kind about it. If you gas them... It's open season for me to complain about them coming in our room all over and dying.
11) Sticky... The floors were sticky
12) All suites are a golf kart ride away from the main property, restaurants, etc. So, bring your walking shoes.

All bad. Worst property I've ever stayed at. Stay away. If you think this review is dishonest in any way, feel free to contact me and I'll send you our pictures and you can talk to my wife.

Room Tip: Avoid this property at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
46 Thank alex_fielding
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear alex_fielding,

We truly would like to apologize one more time for this inconveniences you had during your stay with us, be sure that our General Manager and every area supervisors have made all the required immediate actions of each and every one of your reports.

Principally we have changed our fumigation provider, this is a very difficult zone for this cases because of the weather and the location, but we still took the proper action to find a better provider even when we cannot use stronger chemical solutions toward the resort surroundings due to the fact that we are a Green Hotel, and very well known for our efforts to preserve nature and environment. We know that these actions don´t change your experience, but it is important for us to let you know that we have corrected all the areas that you have reported and sincerely we are waiting for a second opportunity to change this impresion caused offering you a wonderful and unique stay with the highest levels of service and facilities which have distinguished our resort for so many years.

Please feel free to contact us at: info,zopdb@zoetryresorts.com with your feelings and thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Karla Martinez
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita
info.zopdb@aoetryresorts.com
Rhode Island
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Zoetry does it right - their staff are genuinely friendly and hospitable, the grounds are gorgeous, the food is really good, the drinks were well made and the rooms were luxurious. If you want to receive the best in service and be surrounded by beauty, this is the place for it. They more than cater to honeymooners with free perks like the couples massage on the beach, dinner on the pier, private yacht cruise and breakfast in bed.

This was our first all inclusive experience and we were pleasantly surprised. I think the trick to making an all inclusive worthwhile is to go somewhere to attention for details, and having a small property so you don't feel surrounded by people or feel like you're having a cookie cutter vacation.

The only downside was the beach itself, the water wasn't great but we were there during a tropical storm, so I think it was even more seaweedy than usual. Really didn't have an impact on our trip though. We also got kind of sick of the food towards the end, so if you're there for more than a week I'd suggest a trip off the resort to try some local food.

We'd love to go back someday!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaniRua
Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2012

It was worth every penny. Wonderful weeks stay. My husband and I stayed there a year ago. Very relaxing, excellent service. No complaints. We never do the same trip twice, until now. We'll definitely be back. Looks just like the pics on the website. Lived up to all our expectations. Go!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Isbell
sunny california
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our stay was wonderful. Zoetry is indeed an upscale resort. Our reservation was made using RCI and when we arrived there was no reservation for us. We had a brief moment of dismay before they said it was not going to be a problem and they had a room for us. I tried to email the resort a few times before arriving, but no one would answer my emails. I think Zoetry and RCI will have to improve their communication. Our transfer from the airport to resort was an AMRESORT van and not the Zoetry van. We did have the nice Zoetry van for our return trip to the airport. The no check in/check out time was appreciated.

Room: The room is a nice size room with a very large bathroom. Champagne on ice and a bottle of tequila were waiting for us. Three apples in a bowl were on the table too. We had a lovely ocean view. There were robes and slippers made available for us to use during our stay. We were in building 3 and it was a short walk to the main part of the resort. The resort is small and it was very easy to get around. The bed was very high and comfortable. The linens were upscale and wonderful. The maids spray the bed sheets with a heavenly scent at turndown service. The maids came to our room two times a day and it was kept spotless. We had no wifi in our room and that was a problem. We spoke to the front desk about it, but there was nothing that could be done to fix the problem.

Food: We thought that the food was great. The best we have ever had at an all inclusive resort. The food was fresh, creative and always presented beautifully. Everything we ordered was over the top. The menus have all the calories listed and they do offer the spa menu daily. We really loved that you did not have to make reservations. Just ask if there is something that you would like because they go way out of their way to please you!

Service: The service was good. The pool and beach service could be a little better. There was only one guy on the beach and he was running back and forth to the bar by the pool. The people who work here are such hard workers. They are always friendly and smiling. We always tip, even if it is an all inclusive. They deserve it!

Beach: The beach is nice to walk on, but there is a problem with the seaweed and plastic trash that washes up. There is a tractor that goes up and down the beach to clean, but the ocean is washing it in faster than they can clean. There were some jelly fish in the water too. I don’t know if the jelly fish are there in June or a storm brought them it.

Pools: We enjoyed both pools. We thought the salt water pool felt great. We never had trouble finding a chair and the staff will set everything up for you. You just have to tell them what you want. No towel card here, you can have as many towels as you would like.

Spa: We just used the hydrotherapy area of the spa. There is a sauna ( his and hers), steam room ( his and hers ) and a shared Jacuzzi. The area is fairly small for a resort that is pushing spa and wellness. It was a good place to hang out when it was raining.

Endless Privileges: Well, they are not endless. Apparently, people make reservations before they arrive for the sunset cruise and the shopping trip on the boat. There are limited seats for these activities and if you want to go on one of them or both, book in advance.

Coupons: No matter what amount they are offering, it is really the talk about the time share tour. The coupons are so restrictive that they are pretty much worthless. You have been warned.

Bugs: There are mosquitoes. I sprayed myself in the morning and at night and didn’t get bitten. I did see many people with the tale tell signs of being eaten alive by the mosquitoes. It is in a jungle environment, so I expect that there will be bugs. The resort does spray at dusk with a huge fog cloud of something each day it didn’t rain. It seemed a little dangerous and I decided to be inside the room was the best bet for me. It was rainy season so we had 2 days of rain, so that will bring out the mosquitoes.

Annoying things: These are the things that happened that any resort would have a difficult time with. Half way through our vacation week, a large group from Texas arrived for a wedding. There were about 40 of them. The peace and serenity were soon stolen from us and other non-wedding guests. There was shouting down the halls, the pool and just about everywhere. They were loud. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall when I heard, “Let’s get f-ing drunk!” And that is what they did for the next few days. We had to watch them bark orders at the poor staff. I really hate to see the ugly Americans when I am traveling. We are guests of their country. The other problem is that because of the wedding, the resort would close down restaurants and a bar for them. This would not be a problem if the resort is huge, but for a small resort it does impact the non-wedding guests. On the night of the wedding, this group partied and yelled until 5 am. I guess it was a spring break theme wedding. I think they came to the wrong resort for this kind of wedding. It is too bad it happened to us, but maybe you should ask if there are any weddings planned when you are thinking about going.

Funny thing: The resort has few public bathrooms. They ones the have don’t have doors that can be locked. It just seemed funny for this type of resort.

We will be returning to this resort. The location, resort, and the staff make this a special place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank isoyhappy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Secrets Maroma, Iberostar Grand Bavaro, and a few other resorts that don't really compare to Zoetry. We're on our last day here and we're relaxing in our room because we've had 6 days of solid sun. The weather has been amazing. The wonderful comments about the service are 100% accurate. Pool and beach service are incredible. The best part of beach service is having your chairs/umbrellas set up wherever you'd like to hang out for the week and sending off your first drink order within 5 minutes of plopping down your stuff. Drink service on the beach was comparable to that at IB Grand Bavaro. At first, I was disappointed by the murkiness of the water in the morning. As the tide goes out, the beach becomes increasingly more blue-green and clear (what you are probably accustomed to at other resorts in Riviera Maya). Maroma Beach it is not....but if anyone has been to Cape Cod, Ocean City, or the Outer Banks- this beach beats all of those hands down. There is seaweed, it floats by. People swam in the ocean the entire time we've been here.

The food is good. Breakfast at Kaax was great. The fruit plate is so yummy. The iced-tea of the day was super refreshing (my husband does not drink, so this was a bonus for him). My husband asked for iced coffee on the beach- the entire set-up was delivered to him. That was impressive to me. Canoa was meh. Room service is solid.

The rooms are beautiful. The bed: I have a "bad" lower back. We have a firm mattress at home. I slept fine the first night, here, but got increasingly sore as nights have gone by. Just wanted to put that out there. We love the bathroom. The shower and tub are fun.

The plunge pool: It took a couple (4) days to get the plunge pool serviced. There weren't just a few bugs floating around. The water was filmy, there was debris on the bottom, and it could have been filled a little higher. Also- it's more like a "wade pool". The Thalasso pool- loved it! You must try it.

You must want to relax to come here. We did. We relaxed. We loved it. There could be maybe one more restaurant to spice it up a little. The place shuts down early. We felt like the only people here most of the time, not that we're complaining. Great vacation overall.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bagokie
, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Bix a bel Bagokie,

Thank you for your time to post this wonderful review of your recent stay, this feedback is very important for us to measure our service and facilities to offer you a memorable stay every time you decide to stay with us.

We are overjoyed to know that our staff service exceeded your expectations, specially the waiters by the beach and swimming pool, they are looking for our guests comfort all the time.

Thank you for your kind comments about our beach area, we have cleanliness and conservation programs and this have improved our beach area. We are glad that you have enjoyed it.

We apologize for the discomfort caused with the plunge pool service, this is not normal in our daily operation, be sure we will make the necessary corrective actions to avoid future incidences.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.
Kind Regards,

4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,372 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!