“ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS RESORT!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
perkasie,pa
“ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS RESORT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

My husband & I just returned from a 6 night stay 09/25-10/01. This is a beautiful well maintained property! We enjoyed the roundtrip private transfer with a champagne toast & cool towel upon arrival. We were no sooner finishing our glass of champagne and we were already pulling up to the resort. It only took about 15 minutes to get there.

I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been stated in prior reviews. I will gladly give my honest opinion. We absolutely agree that the staff here is truly wonderful! We have stayed at many resorts throughout Mexico and the Carribean and have never encountered staff as well mannered, Truly happy to service you and courteous as the staff at Zoetry. It was like that in all areas of the resort that we visited.

We also both found the food to be better as well! Loved that there were no buffets and everything was cooked to order. We found all meals - breakfast, lunch. & dinner were all served on china. The rooms are exactly as shown in previous photos. Very large and lovely!
The most beautiful bathroom we've ever seen at any of the resorts we've ever stayed at.

It is definitely a quiet resort and we appreciated that. We saw no children while we were there. I can't imagine children staying at this resort. (There is literally nothing there for a child to amuse themselves with besides the pool.) It is geared for the adults only crowd.

We also liked the fact that you needed no reservations for restaurants, & no tacky wristbands. The dress code is strictly enforced at La Canoa for gentlemen. You must have long slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt with closed toe shoes. The gym was open 24 hrs (another plus) and was oceanfront & airconditioned.
The equipment was in good shape and was more than adequate for the size of the resort.

The decor of this hotel is beautiful. You'll see from the sitting areas to the beach that the furniture is not cheap plastic. Very tropical cushions & wood furnishings. If you venture out on the beach and walk to the right of the property you'll see what I mean about the furnishings at the other properties you will pass. Zoetry is no where near what these properties look like and you'll want to return to Zoetry at once!

We did take the sunset cruise and that was nice to unwind and see the coastline. We also booked the 4 hr catamaran snorkel cruise & lunch and that was the best snorkeling trip we ever took. The lunch on the catamaran was even served on china! It was well worth the $85.00 per person.

For those of you looking for a comparison to other resorts we have been to in the area , They would be Secrets Capri, Dreams Tulum, & Fairmont Mayakoba. We thought Mayakoba was beautiful and the water on that side was the nice carribean blue and much nicer but the food was horrible and terribly expensive! (They are not AI). Lots of families and was very large to navigate around.

Please feel free to email with any questions. My husband and I will definitely be returning to Zoetry!

Room Tip: If you are not up to long walks ask for rooms near the pool & restaurants. We were in the very l...
6 Thank dreyfuss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Korean first
Phila,PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

If you are looking to unwind from the stresses of life this place is wonderful! We traveled here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, having honeymooned in Cancun. Despite the luxury and larger-than-we-normally-spend price tag, the friendliness of the staff and guests made it feel like home. Home, but SOOOOOO much better. We had to get used to the staff wanting to please us so much! I had brought an inflatable dolphin as a joke for my husband and the staff took it and had it blown up for us! The saddest thing I ever did was let the air out of that thing the night before we left. The food is unbelievable. Organic and full of wonderful things that we all should be eating everyday. The bars are stocked with top-shelf liquor. None of that usual all-inclusive buffet business where people fall upon it like starving animals and all the drinks taste the same. Each meal is a work of art. You are encouraged to take your time and enjoy all the wonderful flavors. You will find that you actually eat less and are more satisfied. The entire staff takes great pride in what they do and you are always greeted with a smile and a bix a bel (Maya for how's your road - there is no Mayan phrase for how are you!). We always tipped a few dollars to show our appreciation. My husband has an extreme sensitivity to the sun the staff did everything they could to protect him. At the pool, Antonio moved the umbrellas as the sun moved while tending to our food and drink orders. At the beach, we would find our chaises set up under the palm trees with 2 umbrellas. Props to Pepe - he is a doll! These guys stay very fit trekking up and down the beach taking care of you! In September they release sea turtles that have been hatched in protected nests on their beach. What an amazing experience to hold that little hatch-ling and then watch it swim off, under the cover of darkness into the sea! It is also blue crab migration time. It is crazy to see them everywhere, trying to make their way to the sea to lay their eggs. I did get a little freaked when one night, there was a scratching at the door. The patio lights were not on and luckily we had brought a flashlight. I was hesitant but slid the interior doors open to find 5 crabs, scratching at the sliding glass doors! We shooed them off the patio with an umbrella (some of them had a real attitude problem) and we solved the invasion problem by plugging the drain opening in the patio wall with a towel. I can live with that. After all, the hotel was built in their migratory path and the least we can do is help them on their way! The maid found it amusing the next day!
The only draw back was the number of mosquitoes and those darn yellow flies. They spray the bushes at night, but the proximity of the rooms to a swampy area makes it impossible to control them all. DEET is a must - we were wearing it to bed since once one of those hungry critters gets in your room, you WILL be bitten (multiple times). The bite of the fly is far worse than the bite of the mosquito.They can be a bother for more than a week after you get one. This may be less of a problem other times of the year.
Other reviews have mentioned that they were given a sales pitch for activities - we had no experience like that. My husband needed oral Benadryl for an allergic reaction and within 30 minutes they had it delivered from a pharmacy right to our room.
We would definitely return, even for just 4 days to recharge our batteries. It was so wonderful to be someplace where doing nothing actually felt right!

Room Tip: if you don't like the heat and can only take so much sun, splurge on the plunge pool suite. you...
8 Thank jmdesigns
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

Service Beyond 5-Stars

They blew us away with their phenomenal attitudes, attention to detail and obvious desire to make sure that theirs was the best service we ever had. And, it worked. The wait staff at Zoetry-Paraiso de la Bonita exceeded our expectations in every way.

Frederico, Antonio, Anselmo, Jaime, Pepe, Alex, Cesar and others... these guys would succeed in any setting. They are thinking men; creative, sensible, respectful, team-oriented, dedicated... and just they happen to be waiters at Zoetry. Let me give you an example. On our second morning there, my sweet wife and I had finished breakfast (outdoors & beachfront) and were taking a lazy walk through the resort, chatting about where we wanted to sit for the first few hours of our day. This is one of our cherished challenges on vacation, and Zoetry makes it tough: pool-side, on the beach under cabanas, near the harpist or away, along the ultra-quiet salt-water pool, on the spa patio, under the palapa-roof outdoor bar... come on... each niche is perfect in its own way!!

This morning, Frederico was the first to greet us as we approached the pool. “Good morning Senores Brown! May I prepare a lounge chair for you? Double or two singles? May I bring you a drink or snack? It will be my pleasure.” Jenny replied, “Yes please, a lounge for two. Thank you so much. We are taking a walk, so we’ll be back in 10 minutes or so.” As she was speaking, I glanced around the empty poolside and came to a different conclusion; I wanted to stare at the gulf, but a row of bushes somewhat blocks the gulf from poolside. By this time... less than 30 seconds after Frederico’s greeting, he was already wrapping the cushions of a lounge chair on the opposite side of the beautiful pool, in fresh clean towels. These guys run... they literally RUN from one task to the next, but not because their clients are so demanding, but because as soon as they finish helping one person, they will be ready to serve another. It is incredible to watch. The word “lazy” is not in their vocabulary.

I caught Frederico’s eye and he met me halfway to him. I told him that I would really prefer an ocean view and it looks like the bushes obstruct that view... but before I could finish... a knowing smile came over him and he said, “Senor, please do not worry. I’ll take care of everything. Just come back when you are ready, and you will see. I’ll take care of everything.”

Jenny and I finished our walk and returned to the pool. Frederico had seen us coming and met us as we approached, to show us to our chairs. It turns out that there is a single spot along the poolside where the bushes are none and there is a clear view of the gulf. With the help of another, Frederico had spun the massive, cast iron lounge around to face the water and had positioned two canvass umbrellas to block the glare of the morning sun. Two bottles of water were chilling in a silver ice bucket and towels were even folded thoughtfully as pillows. BLAMMO! Expectations exceeded! And, I’ll be darned if he wasn’t pleased to have done it. As we settled in, he wanted to bring us some drinks. So, I told him a story about how, the last time we were there, Jaime had introduced us to a drink served in a green coconut that was incredibly fresh and delicious. Frederico knew the drink, but apologized that it is not coconut season. He said, “Let me see what I can do.” 5 minutes later, he was BACK. He had collected all the available coconuts, cut them open and poured their juice into a glass. He apologized, “This is all we have. Most coconuts are dry. It took me a dozen to find this much juice. I am sorry about that, but I recommend this drink... the Mango-LiLi.” He placed both glasses on the table beside me and gave Jenny the fresh Hibiscus Tea she had requested. He let us know that anything we wanted... he would bring to us... just give him the nod.

He had done just what he said... Frederico took care of EVERYTHING. He walked away with a smile and Jenny and I laid there... stunned... thrilled... on top of the world. We each sipped our beverages as we held hands and stared out over the open gulf. It was pure vacation bliss! And, it was just the beginning.

The service was like that all day... every day of our vacation, from breakfast through dinner. To say that we enjoyed it is an understatement. We truly appreciated it. The way they worked to make our vacation special, brought us to deeply respect these people. We are impressed.

As a business owner, I relish these moments from two distinct perspectives; that of management and client. I can tell you that these guys clearly want to be the best. They are driven. They want you to love... not enjoy, not be satisfied with... they want you to LOVE your stay. They want to be the best. No carrot... no stick... can turn people into employees like this. Management is important, but once management finds employees like these men, they should do whatever they can to empower them to do their jobs and to keep them happy. These men aren’t just good. They are GREAT. These men are how a property like Zoetry earns their FIFTH star... their 5th AAA Diamond. They enjoy exceeding expectations. They make it fun for themselves to perform so exceptionally. As a business owner, it jumps out at me. I could hire any/all of these men to work for me and they would quickly excel at almost any task.

Thank you Zoetry staff! We had a perfect vacation and we WILL be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We went to Zoetry in mid-September for our honeymoon. It was a very relaxing trip - a great place to stay if you really need to de-stress. Here are our pros and cons to staying at Zoetry:

Pros:

- VERY quiet. They have about 100 rooms there; when we were in town they only had 80 people staying (so about 40 rooms filled). They offer a lot of activities but because there were so few people around, we did most of the activities privately with the instructors (kayaking, yoga, snorkeling, etc.). It was really lovely to have some quiet time next to the ocean with little to no noise every day.
- You can hardly top the snorkeling experience at Zoetry. The guide will take you on a boat right off the private pier. Zoetry sits alongside the second largest barrier reef in the world, so you'll have a great opportunity to see several exotic fish up close. We even saw a baby barracuda.
- The rooms are gorgeous. We had our own plunge pool on our veranda that overlooked the ocean, plus a living room, bedroom, and a bathroom with a very big bath and a large glass shower.
- The drinks are great. If you get the Endless Privileges deal, you get a bottle of tequila, plus a bottle of champagne delivered your room each day. The bartenders by the pool do not skimp you on alcohol in the mixed drinks. And there are a large number of beers and cocktails to choose from.
- The servers will deliver your food/drinks to your chair/cabana on the beach OR directly to you in the pool. You hardly have to lift a finger.
- This Zoetry location includes a Thalasso Spa with a sauna, hot tub, salt-water pool, salon, spa services, and more. We loved the salt-water pool and found it to be very relaxing and soothing on our sunburns (!). We were surprised that we were often the only people at the Thalasso and in the salt-water pool, given that it was such a soothing thing to do.

Cons:

- Our biggest con by far is that everyone is trying to pitch you something to get more of your money. The person who picked us up from the airport tried to sell us on a private excursion. When we got to the resort, we had to ask three different staffers in three different parts of the resort to find out what activities we could do. Instead of giving us the list of activities, one tried to sell us a time share, the second tried to sell us on a shopping trip to spend more money, and the third tried to get out of telling us about the free activities that were included. He also was VERY reluctant to help us contact our travel agent who had told us about activities OUTSIDE of our resort. Obviously they only wanted us to spend money at Zoetry and they would do anything to get us to sign up for paid activities.
- This isn't really a con, but Zoetry is a health and wellness resort. So the food is delicious and healthy, the portions are small. But if you're the kind of person that goes to Mexico for some burritos and nachos dripping with cheese, you're not going to find it here. There are no snacks onsite and no vending machines.
- Take bug spray AND something to heal your bug bites once you get them. My husband was bit very badly from head to toe by something like sand fleas. When we asked for something to help heal the bites, they said they only had one tube of ointment at the resort and another couple was already using it. This really made us nervous - if we had gotten really sick, would there be an infirmary or at least some first aid onsite?

Overall, we would probably recommend Zoetry to our friends for the quietude and privacy alone. Just pack your bug spray (and maybe some Doritos). :)

QUICK TIP: Check out The Jungle Place ("Kuuxi Kaax") south of Playa del Carmen. It's a monkey sanctuary in the jungle, just 5 minutes west of the main highway. You can play with monkeys! (Zoetry does not have anything to do with the Jungle Place but they can get you a taxi to travel down there. An easy, quick trip well worth the visit!)

Room Tip: Specify number of beds (we had two when we wanted one). Personal Plunge pools are only on the first...
7 Thank jaclwalk
info_zopdb, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Bix a bel Jaclwalk,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share your overview on your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We always value the sincere opinion of our guests and take it as feedback in our constant commitment of improving our service levels.

We feel pleased to know that you have enjoyed the tranquility and privacy atmosphere that our resort offer to our guests, snorkeling with our experienced Marina la Bonita team, resort activities, our suites and ocean front views, Endless Privileges inclusions, the Thalasso Center and Spa wet areas and service.

In other hand we regret to know that you have not enjoyed your stay completely due to the way the services from our resort where offered to you, perhaps our staff have not handled this appropriately and we apologize if we have made you feel uncomfortable at any level. Please be certain that the supervisors of the areas mentioned will take measures to prevent re-occurrences like this in the future. We truly appreciate your comment.

It is true that we are a resort specialized in wellness and relaxation, however to please our guests is always our priority and when it comes to Food and Beverages our staff and chefs are always happy to accommodate your needs accordingly. We hope we can have the opportunity to host you again so you can enjoy from our off-side menu, we are certain that you will enjoy this very much!

Regarding to mosquitoes, locations in the area have the same situation on this matter. Our resort is located in a tropical area surrounded by mangroves. It is important to mention that we try to fight mosquito population strongly and doing our best to keep this controlled. We invest not only economical resources but work closely with a specialist that is helping us to reduce their impact by spraying our resort 3 times a day. We are unable to use stronger chemical solutions since we are a Green Hotel and very well known for our efforts to preserve nature and environment. Our guests comfort is our priority this is why we provide mosquito repellent at no additional cost and our boutique offers unguents or pomades to guest’s who required this. However we strongly suggest our guests to bring their own mosquito repellent to avoid misfortunate situations, especially if you are not used to Caribbean weather mosquitoes.

It is important to mention that we always offer our guest’s the suite type that they have initially booked when making their reservation to our resort. However we have different suite categories and these also include bed types categories.

Again, thank you very much for your comment, we hope we can have the opportunity to host you again home and may your next visit be better than the past one.

Warm greetings from all of us at Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya!

Zuko Garcia
Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge
Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita Riviera Maya
info.zopdb@zoetryresorts.com
Danville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The service was terrific and the property is lovely. We will definitely return and plan to take all our adult children next year.

3 Thank Ephraim55
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I went to the Zoetry in June 2011 for our honeymoon. We were very specific about what we wanted (Secluded, no kids, all inclusive, small..) and the Zoetry was PERFECT!! We got picked up from the airport in an Escalade with a bottle of champagne waiting for us. When we got to the hotel, we were greeted by the WONDERFUL staff. While we were taken on a tour, they took our luggage to our room. When they found out we were on our honeymoon, they upgraded our room for free. Our entire stay was 100% perfect. The staff were amazing and so friendly (Jimmy at the pool is a great guy who took time to get to know us) The service at every restaurant was excellent! The food is fabulous!! If I had any idea it was going to be this amazing, we would have stayed for 2 weeks instead of just 1. It was definitely hard to leave!! But we will absolutely be back!! If you are looking for the perfect getaway, look no further!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank meweil
U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

If you are looking for peace and quiet and the most restful and relaxing vacation imaginable, this is the place for you. If you go, as we did, in one of the less popular months like September (supposedly the rainy season, but there was no rain), you also get tremendous value for your money. Here's what's included if you buy the "endless privileges" package from the hotel: transport to and from the airport in a Lincoln or Mercedes van, with champagne and a cold towel on your way to the hotel; a two-room suite with large rooms and high ceilings if you are on the third floor, a huge separate bath with large shower and (non-jacuzzi) large stone bath, double sinks and closed off toilet and bidet, with private plunge pool if on the first floor and two balconies if on the second or third floors, all rooms overlooking and close to the ocean; world-wide free phone calls, free internet, free laundry service, all meals, espresso in your room, food/drink room service, champagne (local, not that terrific) and fruit (apples in our case) in your room refilled whenever you request, bottle of Cuervo tequila with lime and salt in your room, refrigerator filled with free beer, wine, sparkling water and juice, daily classes of some sort (water aerobics, kayaking, wine or tequila tasting, cooking, etc.), "Mayan" group steam ceremony with herbs ("Temezcal"), guided tour of thalassotherapy facility (five minute steam or dry heat, 10 minutes in the indoor jacuzzi pool), fresh water and salt water outdoor pools with jacuzzi/whirlpool jets, 12-passenger speedboat ride to and from nearest town, Puerto Morelos, for an hour shopping in the flea market there (not worthwhile; you have to bargain for everything, there are no listed prices and no regular stores), catamaran sunset hour ocean cruise (sign up as soon as you get to the hotel at the booth next to the swimming pool since this fills up quickly, and if you don't get a spot show up anyway because there are last minute no-shows), beds and lounge chairs on the beach serviced constantly by an attendant who brings you any drink you wish, lounge chairs by the freshwater pool with similar service, afternoon tea with a selection of 25 teas and little treats, library with computer, books, bar, comfortable sofas and grand piano, absolutely terrific harp player every day at breakfast except Sundays, great Mexican guitar trio at dinner, wildlife all over the facility (parrots, cockatoos, peacock, cordoned off baby crocodile, iguanas), abundant tropical trees and flowering plants everywhere (fruiting coconut and date palms, etc.), free use of (somewhat uncomfortable) plastic kayaks. What's not included: any individualized spa treatment (with the coupons offered by the facility the cost, for example, of a 60-minute massage is about $130, and the cost of a 60-minute facial is about $110); any non-house wine with a meal (the house wines are actually excellent; prices vary for wine but you can apply a $10 coupon towards any bottle); a private dinner on the beach next to the ocean ($240 applying a hotel coupon); snorkeling ($55 for a half day snorkel) (if you want to do snorkeling on your own, bring your own equipment; otherwise you have to beg the hotel for equipment when not in use); and any trips off the facility either by car or boat other than the trip to Puerto Morelos. The food was excellent, with many vegetarian options on all menus clearly marked. There are two indoor eating spaces (called "Kaax" and "La Canoa"), both also with outdoor space overlooking the ocean. "La Canoa" had a dress code that included a collared shirt and non-jeans and no gym shoes or sandals for men, which unfortunately we did not learn about until we arrived, and is strictly applied, and the hotel has no dress shoes to borrow, so we were never able to eat inside the La Canoa facility. They did allow us to eat on the terrace, and the food was gourmet and truly excellent. There are also two outdoor food areas, one Japanese and one more casual and pizza-oriented that was closed for construction. The majority of the one and two-star reviews on this site are suspiciously written by individuals whose only contribution to tripadvisor is this one single review, and I learned that much of what they wrote was untrue: (1) there was no required sales pitch that we had to listen to in order to get hotel coupons; (2) we saw no mosquitoes or ants or any other unwanted bugs; (3) the food was delicious and there was a wide selection; (4) there was plenty of brand label liquor available (we drank Johnnie Walker scotch); (5) there was some seaweed on the beach but the hotel dealt with it every morning, and, after all, one expects seaweed on a beach; (6) there was not a single child of any sort; (7) nothing went missing from our room, and in fact when we left a $5 plastic watch out we had a notice placed next to it that it should have been placed in the room safe; (8) the portions are indeed not super-sized American and this is a good thing, and since you can order as many dishes as you want, the smaller portions are a feature and not a bug, and, finally and very thankfully, (9) no one actually expects you to learn any cutesy "Mayan" phrases. We do agree with the comment that the bedding (pillows and mattress pads) could use an upgrade. There were a few things that we did not like: (1) The registration staff person who gave us a personalized tour of the facility when we arrived told us that the construction at the outdoor restaurant would be finished by the next day. In fact it was not finished and the restaurant was not open during our entire stay, although at one point its menu was served by another restaurant. (2) We would have appreciated the hotel defining and limiting the hours at which construction noises would be occurring at the restaurant and notifying guests of those hours so we could make arrangements to be somewhere else when power tools were in use. There is a daily newsletter where it would have been easy for the hotel to include this information. (3) The hotel should have specified the dress code for guests at the La Canoa restaurant in advance or offered use of appropriate attire. It's not really acceptable to have one of only two restaurants not available to you because of some rule that you were not informed of in advance and have no power to remedy because there are no stores within miles. (4) The tipping policy remained unclear to us. While we were informed at the outset that tipping was not required or expected, it was clear that staff people were hoping for tips and who can blame them (one waiter even stood expectantly at our table jangling coins in his pocket!), but the front desk would give us no guidance on amounts. We would have appreciated either some guidance as to an appropriate range of tips or having the hotel implement a no tipping policy and having us pay more at the end. At the same time there were personalized touches that we absolutely loved, such as the turn-down service where the staff carefully laid out robes and slippers for you and sprinkled them and the bed with fragrant tropical flowers. Although we had never been to this area before and have nothing to compare this to, we met a couple who had been to several of the highly rated resorts in the area and said that, if rest and peace are your goals, Zoetry was best of all. We will surely return.

Room Tip: While you are not guaranteed any room, the building is in an "S" shape, and certain rooms...
15 Thank Shain
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,249 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita? Share your experiences!