“Great for families”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego
“Great for families”
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I'm writing this well after I stayed there, but I've been three times and I'm going again later this year. I've been there with my kids and various relatives and we all love it there. I bought a time share to make the trips cheaper for all of us - it is transferrable, which is nice, but the costs of using the time share have gone up with the rates at the hotel.

The best part about Azul is the staff - very friendly and helpful. The worst part is the waiting - there are frequent delays, so you have to be prepared to wait.

If you go with a laid back attitude, you'll have a great time.

If you want to find out more about the time shares without sitting through a presentation (or want to use my discount), feel free to contact me.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Waiting
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank unknown 765

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
Rugby, UK
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Overall we had a fantastic, relaxing holiday at the Azul beach and the service we received was excellent. In our opinion it was only the food that let this hotel down.

Our room was just OK and for the money we paid for this holiday I guess a bit disappointing but we soon became used to it and actually it was in a great location in villa 7 as just a few steps to the pool next to Chill and then down to the quieter end of the beach and you could see the sun rise from our room which was nice.

We spent most of our time (except when it rained or the thick cloud rolled in) down on the beautiful beach where there was mostly a lovely sea breeze. We were always ready to sit and sunbathe by about 8.30am and couldn't believe how many beds and loungers were saved every day. This became a bit annoying but there was only one day we couldn't get shade. I could just walk to the pool a few steps away when I fancied a swim which was great. The beach butler service was excellent and Sergio was fantatsic and when we asked him one day where we could get ice cream he had some brought down to the beach for us. They bring round pure fruit juice about 11am and then a snack about midday. We hardly moved from our loungers some days. On my birthday he brought us champagne and a chocolate birthday cake.

La Mancha I had expected to be a snack bar but you could only get biscuits here and some lovely milkshakes which we definitely recommend and the lady that did them was lovely and seemed to really appreciate the dollars we occasionally gave to her

Breakfasts were OK at Blue and the restaurant setting was lovely but sometimes even by 7.30am they were too busy to give us an outside table! Once we went down at 7am and nothing was set up. There were a few choices for lunch. On the beach you could have a picnic basket from Sun - Wed. We had one our first day and it was great as we didn't have to get dressed to go to the restaurant but the baguettes were bit dry for us. Then on Thursday there is a beach BBQ, Fri is fish market day and Sat is paella. These might be moved to Blue if weather a bit wet like it was for us some days. Then there is Chill which serves burgers, pizza (not great) etc at lunch and then Blue where we mostly went as I liked the salad and my husband liked the special fish dishes at lunch. They do a great menu for 2 people at lunch time too. But sometimes annoying to go and get dressed to go here and I wish they had a quicker option at lunchtimes like a salad bar.

Evening meals we enjoyed for our first few days and then just got very bored of the food (after 14 nights) which sometimes was not even that good quality. We mostly ate at Blue as we were not keen on Tainan and had expected a much better menu at the Mexican Chill (I just had a very dry piece of chicken here with not much else). So we soon learnt at Blue to order a starter and a soup as main courses normally tiny and not very appetising. A small piece of meat in the middle of your plate with not much else (where was the veg or salad) became very unappealing. The pasta dishes made a nice change to this which were on the today menu. A tip for you after the first 5 nights of eating a dry piece of dessert we were finally offered ice cream with it. Just ask for this with your dessert if you like it and their ice cream was very tasty.

You could order room service which we did twice but not an extensive menu. Waited about 35 mins and food good and what we ordered. The Azul baguette was good.

The drinks were brilliant and the bar staff very friendly and would remember what you drank or how you liked it. I loved the pina coladas and my husband more than happy with his jack daniels and coke which they made stronger for him as soon as he asked. Again we tipped them just a dollar most nights which they seemed to appreciate. The shows were put on in the main bar and were pretty good especially the circus show which I loved.

We only ventured out one day to Playa Del Carmen as it had been cloudy and showery most of the day. You do become very lazy here and happy to sit on beach all day. Playa was nice but I would recommend going late afternoon/evening as we got there about 5pm and it was boiling. Plenty of bars and restaurants and 5th avenue good to walk up and down. Taxi was $28 each wasy for us.

So if only they changed the food option we would be back here next year like a shot as I have read lots of reviews of other hotels in the area and some appear to have lost their beaches and most are much larger than the Azul. We had a wonderful, relaxing holiday here even though we had quite a few days where cloud rolled in at lunch time or 2 days it rained all afternoon. If you go you will have a fantastic holiday apart from the food!

• Liked — Great beach and service
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KatieRugby
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I am a little late in writing this review, but the many others on this site were so helpful for myself when planning my wedding in Jan 2007 that I must include my comments for future visitors.

We were a group of 25 family and friends of all ages and had an amazing time. The beach was well kept, the pools as well. There were lots of activities for everyone, and the food was excellent.

My wedding day could not have been better. The organizer Carolina, did a great job, the site was beautiful, the mariachis and cocktail prior reception fantastic. The tropical flower arrangements were amazing-and I was most concerned with the bouquet-all was exactly as planned.

The rooms -recommend the upgrade if possible to your more discerning relatives, otherwise building 11 as well 1, 2 -better for families as further away from nightly shows. This was the only matter of concern in our entire trip as certain rooms in building 10 needed some repair. Our guests got moved immediately when management was advised.

Lots to recommend, and tips, feel free to contact me for further information. Will certainly go back for another visit and highly recommend for destination wedding.

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank AdrienneMontreal
Northern California
Reviewed May 27, 2007

We just returned from a 5 day stay at the Azul, and I am definitely torn about whether or not to return. We were in a deluxe room on the second floor. We had no trouble getting drinks or food by the pool or by the beach. I felt the staff was actually quite attentive, but it was also a slow time at the resort--only booked to 40% capacity. Towels were plentiful and happily delivered to us early in the day--But by late afternoon, there were none to be found.
Housekeeping was spotty, at best. Our rooms were never cleaned until the late afternoon, and they weren't actually all that clean after housekeeping came. They did not replenish supplies (toilet paper, shampoo, etc.) without a request. At one point, it looked as though someone had vomited (or spilled?) outside our door and the mess remained for two days. At times the water from the shower smelled of sulfur. Our air conditioner wasn't working upon arrival, and they promptly fixed it. (We were pleased to see that they sent a security guard to the room along with the maintenance worker.) Luckily, we did not have any problems with pests or bugs. *We actually considered ourselves lucky, because we were part of a large wedding party and our "problems" were pretty minor compared with some of the others in our group. One couple did not have a phone in their room, even after requesting one several days in a row. One couple had no hot water for days.
We found that each restaurant had both good and bad entrees. Some in our party raved about how great the food was, but maybe I am pickier? The general consensus was to stay away from the beef. The chicken and fish were definitely better bets. But, we found the preparation to be inconsistent across the board. If we ordered something more than once, it never seemed to taste the same. Don't go to a restaurant starving--the service is very "leisurely!" The Energy Bar had great smoothies. The "special" wine list (which one can order from at an additional cost) was incredibly over-priced and none of the bottles were very good. But, the house wine was drinkable, and the cocktails were plentiful, so it was fine. Room service was prompt and accurate the first day (a Wednesday), but at that point the hotel was not as busy. By Saturday, room service was ridiculously slow, and we actually cancelled an order after waiting an obscenely long time. The restaurants were usually able to accommodate us quickly, though. I actually appreciated the smaller portions and lack of junk food--I unintentionally lost a few pound during my stay and I felt that I had very healthy meals.
The massages on the beach are GREAT, however, beware of the other "spa" treatments. They are in the process of building a spa facility, but until that is finished, scrubs and wraps are done in a vacant room in Villa 8. The treatment was fine, but the room was awful--Bad flourescent lighting, loud a/c, no hot water in the shower. The scrub and wrap were not worth the money, but the massage was.
We were not pressured about a Time Share, but my parents were and they actually bought one! We noticed that after they purchased the "travel club" they were treated much more attentively by the staff.
It seems like a fabulous place to take kids, and we are considering returning with our kids (if we can get a good rate.) I knew this was not going to be a stay at The Four Seasons or The Ritz-Carlton, so I was initially ok with some of the quirks that came along with the hotel, since I figured you get what you pay for. But, I had one TERRIBLE experience that clouded my whole stay:
I was a bridesmaid in a wedding that was moved to the lobby due to rain on the beach. After the wedding the bridal party and family were taking pictures in the lobby, and it was hot and muggy. The bride asked if I could get everyone champagne. I knew it would take forever if I walked to the bar, and we were right near the front desk, where they had champagne on ice waiting for arriving guests. I asked the concierge to pour champagne for the bridal party and she said "Of course, I will bring it to you." I watched her take glasses out and pour them. I offered to take them (about 10 feet away) to everyone and again she said, "No, we will bring it to you." I waited 5 more minutes and said "The bride REALLY wants some champagne--Can I please bring it to her?" Again, she said, "Don't worry, we will bring it." Another 5 minutes went by and I went back and said "I can't wait anymore...I need to bring the champagne!" At this point the glasses that had already been poured were removed and the wedding coordinator for the hotel came up and said, "You cannot have champagne--That is an extra cost!" I replied "Charge it to my room!" and I gave her my room number. She said no, and by this time the photos were done, the bridal party and family were parched, and I cannot figure out why the hotel would want to deny us champagne that I was willing to pay for--I am used to better customer service!

• Liked — The intimate size of the resort and the beautiful pools & beach
  • Disliked — The inconsistent service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank gusandlola
Manchestr UK
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We chose the Azul on the recommendation of a friend and it was fantastic. We booked a delux upper floor room (there only 2 high anyway) and we had a lovely balcony and see view.
We were there for 2 weeks and the restaurants were great and would happily cook alternative dishes if you gave them notice. and of course there was always 24 hour room service if you wanted more!

We booked with First Choice, which were good although the rep didn't show the first day, which wasn't much of aproblem.

We had the anniversary package and ate on the beach one night which was very romantic and worth considering.

The entertainment was some of the best I have seen at a small resort.

Whilst there were a few children staying, and they have a kids club, we rarely saw them on the beach, and there is no disco on site for teenagers to visit although the staff will arrange to escort you into Cancun's top clubs etc

The best thing about the place is the staff! They are so friendly and treat you so well and nothing is any trouble. Carlos, Raymondo, Juan (x 2) Pamela, Sergio etc they made the holiday by making you feel very special.

Whilst we did visit the El Dorado (only because we wanted to see friends there) the presentation lasted 3 hours but just say No if you don't want to buy. The £150 'Hotel Dollars' we received paid for the massage's which were great.

The El Dorado is far too big and impersonal for our liking and you wood feel lost compared to the Azul

There were a lot of weddings over the 2 weeks, which didn't cause too much inconvenience and it isn't a rowdy crowd of drunks who stay there so there isn't too much noise.

We would gladly return and may do in the next few years.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — having to leave!!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mike S
Oklahoma
Reviewed May 24, 2007

This was the FIRST vacation to an All-Inclusive resort for my wife and I. We were immediately impressed with the welcome, the cleanliness and the beauty of the Azul Resort.

Our room felt small (we were in a "superior" room, which was not the biggest available).

The service was outstanding, in that everyone wanted to meet your needs as you had them...

The bartenders were generous and fun, but one of them was trying to get a little too friendly with my wife while we were relaxing in one of the hanging beds. He made himself at home and tried to snuggle up to my wife jokingly...but after an awkward few seconds I gave him the boot.

The food will not be on par with most American restaurants. The portions are small and when it says it has an all lobster menu...think, tiny shredded pieces that amount to maybe a bite of lobster in the entire meal. Crab meat, same deal. I never had lobster before this trip and was looking forward to having it...and was excited by the photos I saw at the resort's website. Well, if you want a lobster tail, be prepared to pay an extra $40 USD for it. I was disappointed.

Honestly, I wrote a much more positive review on the resort guestbook and made a "gentle" comment about the food...but they didn't post it. It tells me you cannot trust the website because they will only post reviews that are 100% positive.

This is why I'm writing this review.

We did have the most relaxing vacation of our lives at the Azul.
We would consider going back if we got a really steep discounted price (mainly because the whole food thing)... We would rather go somewhere, where you really get what you pay for (and what they advertise).

• Liked — the beach was so relaxing!
  • Disliked — the food.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bigdaddysmit
New York
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Subject: Azul Hotel & Beach Resort
Location: Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Title: Fantasy Wedding
ID#: 7581214

My daughter had her wedding this past weekend (May 5, 2007) at the Azul Beach Hotel. It was absolutely fantastic. The hotel is beautiful, all of the people who work at the hotel are so friendly and warm, the food was great and the wedding was the best!!! Starting with Lazaro who greeted us and helped us with our luggage upon arrival (and who remembered my name everytime that he saw me), to Virginia and Renae on the beach (Virginia was so friendly and helpful), to Tony and Victoria (Tony gives the most incredible massages (I had 2 and wanted more) and he also helped my daughter with her hair appointment, ordered food for my daughters and friends when the bride was getting her hair done and was so kind and warm in all ways), to the Chef, Miguel (who went out of his way to make sure that my daughter had the exact wedding cake that she wanted with the flavors that she wanted, to making sure that the food was served and tasted great for the wedding and for the welcome party the night before) (and the food and all of the desserts were absolutely incredible)!!!! Cecelia was great with helping with all of the flowers and decorations for the wedding site. She is another example of an extremely caring and warm individual. Carolina, the wedding consultant, was a bit harsh with the way she explained and went over things but after speaking to the amazing manager of the hotel – Laura, Carolina ended up doing a good job. Laura the manager was amazing and so helpful. After the issues we had with the wedding planner, she kept checking back with us to make sure everything was ok and that we were happy. She was extremely professional and made our stay at the Azul wonderful.

At the present time I can't remember all of the names of the other people that I want to remember, but I am going to write again with their names. All in all, everything was perfect.

The only bad experience with any of the personnel at this wonderful hotel was Alberto who was with Lomas Travel who was exremely rude to my family and guests.

We will definitely be back again for a vacation (although I can't imagine how a vacation could possibly come close to being as great as the wedding was!!).

And, this wedding couldn't have taken place without the incredible help of our travel agent, Keith Harmon at Around the world Travel.
Thanks to everyone for everything.

Susan

Susan J. Stern

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — small bath area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,989 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!