“Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Beach Hotel

You added Azul Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Azul Beach Hotel
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Cancun-Tulum Km. 27.5, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Went for a week with my Children and Grandchildren. Great place for children. Food was so so as I was expecting. Would go back in a heartbeat! Rooms with 2 double beds was small and bathroom tiny. The junior suite was large and bathroom huge!! Would recommend spending the extra money for a swim up suite.

• 4 of 5 stars
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your vacation. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments with future travelers and guests.

Once again, many thanks for your review and I hope to see you again soon at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Best Regards,

Peter Hechler
gm@azulbeachresort.com

Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to this hotel for a wedding along with 50 or so other wedding guests.
We booked and payed for an upgraded room upfront
When we arrived we did not get the room we upgraded to
They wanted us to pay more to get the room we payed for
We argued and argued, showed them confirmations and emails and I nearly left, they left me in tears
I could not understand why the room we upgraded to was being charged more for on arrival
What a scam
We decided to downgrade with no compensation mind you and enjoy the trip
Every one of the wedding party that joined us got the same hassle from the front desk
Some got upgraded for cash under the table
All in all guest who initially booked cheaper rooms online got under the table cash upgrades and better rooms than us who paid upfront for a suite
Con artists, illegal dirty business practices and scams
They ruined the entire experience for me

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank Welltravelledalph
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Im truly very sorry for your experiences at the Azul Beach Hotel and it is with our great regret that you felt you had to post such comments; I'm or one of my management team are always available to attend to any guest and any difficulties that may arise.

I would like you to contact me at the email below so that we can resolve any outstanding issues that you have and hopefully change this poor opinion that you have of our hotel and more so our service and staff

Best Regards
Peter Hechler
gm@azulbeachresort.com
Tyne and Wear
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for families.

Room:
We stayed 2 weeks in a swim up suite right opposite the pool bar. This block was the best of the swim ups as some were just a narrow strip of water outside the room with nothing to swim to! Yosi was a fantastic barman, remembering our names and favourites throughout.

Restaurants:
All were beautiful with special attention for our 5 year old. Exceptional service from juan in the Italian restaurant.

Cabanas:
Book the day before. We forgot one day and a concierge was passing and immediately upgraded us to the spa suite of cabanas. Don't be afraid to ask.

Kids Club:
There weren't many children in early June but there were a good mix of activities. Relaxed drop in vibe.

Drinks:
I didn't enjoy the drinks. The cocktails weren't made with real juice so had an artificial taste (although there's a juice bar during the day so you can have 1 made up - and delivered to your cabana if you like!) The apple juice for breakfast was all concentrate. Our 5 year old only drank water for the entire 2 weeks. I mainly drank sparkling wine but it was cheap and sweet. Husband had no problems with a range of international drinks and lagers.

Entertainment & Activities:
Our 5 year old particularly liked the Africa Show. The Animation Team worked hard all day to include everyone without pestering them! Also enjoyed the kayaking and sailing.

Best place we've ever stayed to get the mix of attention for the children whilst enjoying an a la carte holiday.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Yel
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the first resort where the main restaurant is not buffet (except for breakfast - even then there is a choice of ordering from a menu). The best part of the vacation was the food. I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality and presentation of the food. The size of the resort was perfect not one of those very big where it takes ages to go from one place to another (room to the beach etc.).
The staff was excellent especially Alonso at the reception desk. There was also another gentlemen at the concierge who was very good and helpful - his name was Jules (or something close to that). The waiters were all very good except we had one not so good waiter (I think he probably had a rough day). There was one waiter whose name is Dedier and he was so happy to serve us (he got a good tip too). The rooms were okay not fantastic but could do with little upgrading. The beach is small but sufficient as it is not a big resort. I love the Cabanas on the beach. Perfect for relaxing and better than the usual umbrella type shade with a lounger.
The only part of the resort that was not the best was the evenings. The shows were good but short. Nothing much was happening after the show which finished around 9.00 or 10.00.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Saipatel
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is a late review (stayed end of Oct 2013), but based on recent reviews I think its safe to assume this place has not changed and was just as heavenly as it was when we stayed last year for 10 nights with our then one-and-a-half year old twins and extended family.

Some highlights :
--Great food, with excellent variety, and all a la carte for lunch and dinner. At breakfast you could choose between a la carte and buffet, and both were superb (I really can't praise breakfast enough -- delicious fresh juice concoctions daily that could be turned into mimosas if you so desire, and a combination of traditional American and Mexican breakfast items that were all super yummy and always fresh and hot at the buffet)! Also great snack options during the day which is a must for kids (smoothies, cookies, quesadillas). We tried every theme restaurant and were very pleased, especially with the Italian, although our favorite was to sit a the two ocean-front restaurants and enjoy the excellent views.
--The family room we stayed in had a walled off bedroom for privacy from the kids' area, with nice privacy, and a lovely Jacuzzi tub.
--Bali beds with stunning views everywhere.
--Service was phenomenal: we tipped everyone a lump sum at the end of our stay instead of tipping each day, and we were still always met with perfect service at the restaurants, bars and housekeeping.
--Lots of entertainment both during the day and in the evening. There are many lovely kids programs in the day (puppet show, water balloons, sing-a-long etc.) and at night some nice entertainment starting at 8pm, which I appreciated as it was not too late for the kids to enjoy on occasion (fire dancers, live music).

I normally make a list of pros and cons, but there were no cons. Such a wonderful vacation, and we have already planned another one at the resort's sister property, Azul Sensorati, in a couple of months.

Room Tip: The ocean front room where my parents stayed was especially amazing - just steps from the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Laila A
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I can't say enough about our experience at Azul Beach. The rooms were perfect, the service impeccable, and the food plentiful.

From our arrival to the beautiful open air lobby to the beach cabanas, everything was perfect.

Most of all I would like to mention Viktor. He was courteous, knowledgeable, and always available. He made us feel special.

Thank you Azul Beach! We will be back.

Michael

Room Tip: Ocean view, swim-ups!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank MMabry
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is our third stay at Azul Beach. We love it or we wouldn't keep coming back year after year. Not much has changed since we first visited, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I only noticed very small changes like the addition of wooden beach bed tables which makes it easier to store you yummy drinks on the bed with you versus on the side ledges of the bed. I did not see the usual blue rafts they have in the swim-up suite area by the Bubbles bar, but there were tons of "floaties" and rafts that other guests had and left that there was always something around for the kids to play on if you forgot to bring one of your own.

The mosquitos seemed to be more of a bother this year and we visited the same time as we did the prior year (early July). I always saw one flying around in the bathroom sink/tub area. To be expected, so not that big of a deal, but you may want to bring bug spray and anti-itch cream just in case. They usually have some at the Aquanox bar as well.

There seemed to be more live music as the entertainment than last time and the entertainment crew of Fernando, Cesar and Carlos were tons of fun to hang out with. Our two girls loved them and they were very sweet with them.

Around the Bubbles bar, there was sometimes a big lack of beach towels on both the chairs and the trunk where you grab extras. There was not a lot of people around there so I'm not sure why they were in short supply.

The food was great and I think we had the best experiences in the restaurants that we ever had. The desserts seemed to be upgraded in both size and presentation and textures. Latin and Roma were the best out of all of them this time.

A decreased amount of communication from the Prestige service which was very much appreciated. I always dread getting the daily phone calls and notes under the door. I like planning my own travel and have limited opportunities to do so. Because of this, it just doesn't work for us. There was only one contact and it was in person by the beach by Omar.

The Karisma chain has a WelcomeBack program which I emailed back and forth with prior to our trip. There are levels that give you amenities with each stay when you visit their hotels. I had to mention it to the front desk because there was no note in our reservation (we booked directly with Karisma online). Later that day we received a thank you note, champagne and some fruit. I was told by Omar there was a gift from the program but he never brought it to us and I finally got it as we were checking out of the hotel. You get t-shirts and some toiletry items. Exactly the same as our last visit. Per their site we were also to get 4 hours of free internet and 2 body scrubs at the spa. No one offered and I was over trying to get their attention.

The resort is amazing. It is still the place to go and relax and forget the world. Please try and get to know the staff at the resort. They are great at their jobs and you feel like family when you're there.

The last thing I will mention has to do with the other guests. This was the first time that we encountered other guests blasting their personal speakers on the beach beds, at the Aquanox pool (one guy literally wheeled out a speaker the size of a small guitar amp) and at the Bubbles Bar pool area. I didn't say anything, but it seems like that is a faux pas to do this. The resort has music playing. If you want to listen to your own tunes, then put on some headphones. My personal opinion. The other thing I noticed is that this resort seems to be leaning more towards being primarily a wedding destination vs. a resort for families. Can be good or bad depending upon how you look at it. The weddings are never intrusive, but there are a lot of them.

Please do not get discouraged by any criticisms I have mentioned. Azul Beach is a fantastic destination for you and your young family. The people are great and it is like escaping to paradise. I just know I like reading reviews my fellow TripAdvisors leave that give as many details as possible so I know what to expect.

Room Tip: Family Swim-Up Suites - Ask for Villa 9 by the Bubbles bar. 901 and 902 are the best and 903 and fur...
      Sleep Quality
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 204 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 2,124 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!