“Beautiful spring break vacation”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Northfield, Illinois, United States
“Beautiful spring break vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was probably the best spring break vacation we've taken in a long time. We went snorkeling, saw Tulum and swam in the Senotes. Azul Beach is a beautiful resort located just 20 minutes south of the airport. It has a beautiful beach and great pools for the kids to swim. The beach butlers Pilar and Victor were awesome and made our vacation easy. They arraigned dinner for us, reserves beach beds and we're great with our two girls. I would definately recommend Azual Beach to anyone who is looking for an amazing vacation!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Matthew B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We booked Azul Beach Hotel due to it's boutique nature and location in the beautiful Riviera Maya. Wow, the hotel looks really impressive. On arrival after being told our jacuzzi suite was to the rear of the property we upgraded to an oceanfront suite for an extra £350 and free wifi. The room was heaven, great views, jacuzzi, rain shower, ample room for hanging clothes etc. Only downside was we had ants around the sinks and on the toilet for three days. After we complained ant spray arrived within 30 mins and we never saw ants after that.

The hotel is so beautiful, the staff cannot do enough for you, special thanks to Jorge who made us feel really welcome and to Apolinar who made the best cocktails and shots.

The food is just ok in my opinion. I was expecting giant portions of spicy mexican food, but it was a bit bland. I also didn't like the formality of lunch, you couldnt really just grab something and take to your beach bed, it was a sit down affair. Night times were also a bit boring, as the clientele are mainly families with children, I suppose it caters to that. As a couple we wanted a bit more action or even more venues to chose from in the evening. Limited to the beach bar or the tequila bar for drinks. Chil was only open at night for weddings, although it does say it should be open at night. Churros for dessert in the Latino and Blue restaurants are amazing, ask for them!

The beach is so pretty and the best time of the day is the morning around 6/7am walking along the beach and sitting in the free cabanas before they're taken over. We got engaged on the beach in a cabana and it was the best moment of my life.

One thing on the cabanas, how ridiculous that you have to queue on the beach for an hour to get one, it should be first come first served.

The spa was expensive but oh so good!

In summary, we absolutely loved this hotel in terms of the luxury, the setting, but it lacked the extra factor for me in terms of spicy food and night time options.

Room Tip: Building 7 has the oceanfront suites which we upgraded too.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LilTrace31
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is my first review, as I don't usually take the time. This resort is beyond wonderful and deserves a few moments of praise!
From the moment you arrive, the staff are friendly and welcoming. I cant get over how great they were with my 11 month old. I imagine the people working on the resort are carefully chosen.... they are incredible!
This resort is boutique and luxurious, making it a beautiful escape for adults. It is small and intimate, making it feel very comfortable. The food is unlike any other resort I have visited and I have been to many. The chef went out of his way daily to make special dishes for my infant who is just starting solid/ fingers foods.
The room was beyond beautiful and the baby slept amazing in the pack 'n play set up in the bedroom. I would definitely recommend a suite if you have an infant. There were many hours spent in the room/ balcony while my lil one napped. The staff kept the room impeccable!!! The kids club was awesome, great for a rainy day :)
I just want to extend a huge thanks to the general manager and entire team for making this, my first vacation with baby, an amazing experience.

Room Tip: family suite is a must if you have an infant!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy B
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were welcomed to a lovely lounge area with a swinging bed, accompanied by 2 glasses of champagne & 2 fancy glasses of chocolate shakes in champagne flutes for our 10 year old twins. The female front desk clerk asked for a credit card for incidentals. My husband handed her a credit card that he uses strictly for travel. She took the card away while we filled out paper work & enjoyed our cocktails. Upon her return, she had a carbon imprint of card & asked my husband to sign, thinking nothing of it, he signed it. We were then shown the pillow menu & aromatherapy choices & asked to pick, very nice amenity. Our room was not ready & decided to go to lunch & the beach. We did not receive any information about the resort or a tour. We had to find our way around, fortunately the resort was small. We went to Blue & had an average lunch. My family was disappointed they did not serve Mexican cuisine. After lunch, we went to the beach. I went to the a desk at the beach & asked questions pertaining beach towels & cabanas. The beach butlers were amazing, especially Longino. Guests started lining up at 2:00 for a 3:09 sign up. The entertainment tael comes around at 2:30 & plays bingo to kill time. The butlers come around with cold towels & take drink orders, not so bad. Grab a chair & a book, you're good! There are 21 beds & they do sell out. Concierge guests do not need to wait in line, nor do members. Not all beds have shade & the tower can be very windy & you share half of the tower. There are beverage servers continually taking orders & hustling to brink you your drink of choice. We booked a family swim up suite, which the kids really liked for the first few days. The pools are just pools, designed very uniquely by swim up suites. The room was spacious, although not very comfortable for hanging out., when couches are made into beds, only 1 chair. They do not changeover during the day. The patio. Was cozy with sun bed. We decided not to opt for the Wifi, since there is a $10 daily charge per device. The resort does not offer free wifi anywhere on property, unless you are concierge level. My husband has an international plan & decided to check email the first evening before dinner. His credit card sent an email notifying fraud alert, $550 at at a Toys RUs. The card we provided at the front desk had been duplicated & made into a counterfeit card with a swipe & security code. Although, we can not prove anyone, the card was not used anywhere except for the front desk clerk taking it out of our sight & making an imprinted carbon copy, asking for a signature. Quite the coincidence! My husband had to cancel card, such a hassle & horrible way to start the vacation. Upon returning from our average dinner at Latinos, again NO Mexican cuisine & an solicitation of the wine list by waiter, the beds were not turned down & made for the children, no pillows from pillow menu or aromatherapy, as promised...,even after I made a call requesting turn down as we left room for dinner. Breakfast the next day was good, however, slow service. The beach has beautiful white sand, turquoise water that is not very swim able. My son & friends were stung by jelly fish. The entertainment crew offers yoga & water aerobics, volleyball & tug a war for kids. They continually make rounds gathering people, great to get kids involved. The kids camp was too babyish for my ten year olds. They are used to more of Beaches or Disney Cruise kids camps. The year prior, we were at the Ritz in St. Thomas & they kept busy with the unlimited water sports. Speaking if water sports.,,,snorkeling us done through the tour desk at $4o per person for an hour & a half. When my family went snorkeling, the buoys were all taken & they let everyone off with a guide & they had to swim with out bots nearby for more than an hour, not ideal. Drinks were great! Food hit or miss, along with the service. Our best meals were at the Asian restaurant & Blue for dinner. The server at the Italian restaurant & Latinos push the bottle service, offering a 59% discount! just for the night. The server at the Italian restaurant, actually gave us an attitude fir nit buying the bittke. Service tends to be on the slow side for every meal. Chill was only open for lunch, although listed as being open for dinner. Juan Jose at the Asian restaurant was excellent. Juan at the pool bar by swim up suites amazing, as well. The mini bar & room was continually being replenished with water. They did not indicate whether the sink water was safe or not to brush teeth. They did provide bottles & 3 out 4 of my family members used the bottled water to brush teeth. The one family member that did not, got sick from Wednesday throughout the rest of our trip. I will say, the beach butlers not only provided excellent service, they went above & beyond, especially Longino. My husband left his E cigarettes on our cabana & they called security to take for him. My children could not get enough of the sandwich shop...,chips, pic odious gallon guacamole, chicken Cesar sandwiches & ice cream. The Lion Show, Fire Show & Mexican Show were wonderful! My kids enjoyed dinner & a movie at Kids Camp. The spa was lovely. My husband & I got a couples massage. I upgraded to the signature, which was not deep tissue, as written. All in all, there were bumps in the road....pluses & minuses. Sadly, we will not return to Azul Beach or Mexico. The Caribbean just has much more to offer & is much more lush, safe & more beautiful!

Room Tip: Family Suite Swim Up Room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lisa C
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

WOW! What an experience! I'm late on the review but the memories are so profound, I just had to review it! We went there with a group of 50 (yes... 50!) for my cousins destination wedding. We took up many of the rooms as the property I believe only had 75-100 rooms at the time we visited. From the second you walk into the hotel you are catered to with hot steam towels for your hands/face and a welcoming shoulder massage as you await your turn to check in. The rooms were beautiful with a very open flow and feel to them. Full opening sliding doors and balconies in the majority of rooms is also a nice touch considering the tropical weather you'll certainly want to soak in. The grounds are immaculately clean and the maintenance crew is constantly keeping up with the building ensuring it all looks brand new at all times. The massages are done in Cabanas that are literally over the splashing water from the ocean hitting the beach beneath you and are very reasonably priced. The level of relaxation I reached there is unlike any I've ever experienced before!

The food in the numerous restaurants and buffets throughout the day is very good but also very Mexican outside of the Italian restaurant. There is only one restaurant on property that serves steak and they were only open certain days. Don't expect to leave the property much though, it is an all inclusive resort that sits about 15-20 minutes off any main roads. It is possible to arrange a bus or taxi from the concierge to the clubs/bars in the local town center which we did and felt very safe doing. Breakfast at the main restaurant was delicious and varied everyday while offering beautiful views of the ocean and property. At night, the tequila bar on property was enjoyable and catered to the crowd in the sense that it closed as the crowd died out.

Overall the property is pristine and well manicured, the food is good and definitely better than most all inclusive hotels I've been to. Make friends with the bartenders and they'll take care of you the whole trip!

Room Tip: I prefer the pool/ocean view first floor room. I rarely used my front door and mainly entered and e...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cody, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We just returned from a 9 night stay at Azul Beach. We loved it. Family of 4. Kids 10 and 9. We are normal people who saved money and wanted a great vacation. We hardly ever travel internationally but we love to travel and wanted an experience and some luxury. We researched extensively before our vacation and are glad we did. We were nervous about some negative reviews we read beforehand. I am surprised these people bothered writing the reviews. Not sure what would make them happy.

The resort was safe, beautiful, extremely clean, and the service was impressive. The entertainment was reliably unique and fun. The food was almost always great. The main comment I would make is that this resort is a very manageable size considering it sits among behemoths on the Riviera Maya.

The staff went to superhuman lengths to make us feel welcome and aimed to please. We did some tipping and perhaps that was the aim but it never felt that way. The staff was always smiling and enthusiastically participated in our aim to learn a little Spanish (never an issue as all service staff was adept in English if communication faltered.

The grounds were immaculate. Our room was pretty basic but the location top notch. Housekeeping always cleaned thoroughly.

The breakfast staff was simply amazing. Mariela the hostess, waiters like Rueben, Sebastian and Noe were friendly and would get you anything you wanted. These folks worked through lunch and I think dinner at various places.

We loved the beach crew. Longino, Israel and Joan had the beach and cabanas ready to go every morning. Armando and Mateo kept us with drinks and snacks.

We liked all the restaurants. Probably partial to Roma, the Italian restaurant. Waiters like Luis, Manuel and Roberto (top notch birthday service), Enrique and Andres our final night, were on every detail.

Bartenders were fast and efficient. I never waited behind more than one person for a drink. Our kids could get drinks like smoothies and virgin daqueries anytime they wanted. Special nod to Martin in the bubble bar and Javier at Aquanox.

We met quite a few returning guests (testament to this being a great place). Overall the general conversation with folks would quickly center on how great Azul Beach was. If you are hunting for flaws you will find them. I am confident recommending Azul Beach.

Room Tip: All rooms good. Swim up suites seemed like a waste since we enjoyed beach so much and were happy to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Garrett G
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was my first family vacation as well as All-inclusive to Mexico. I researched about 100 places prior to the trip and very pleased I went with Azul Beach. The service was impressive. Grounds impeccable. By Gourmet-Inclusive, you have to remember, its Mexico, so by 'gourmet', its by their standards. I'm a foodie, so even though the food was a notch below my expectations, it was still outstanding and our stomachs were fine. This place really services to families with children- its more private and boutique - its not one of those massive resorts with lists of amenities, so its limited in that respect. It boasts a spa, but its extremely pricey. We stayed from M-F, and the weekday was great until two wedding parties arrived, which escalated the partying, noise volume and wait times for food at the restaurants. The internet situation was VERY dissapointing. You not only have to pay an additional fee for internet but PER device. So for a family of four, this would of been an additional $200 just for internet access. The cabana situation is a strange situation in which you must wait in line the day prior to get one; my family was not even able to get one due to us doing daytime excursions. However, the service on the beach was outstanding. Our shower in our 'deluxe' family suite leaked massively onto our floor every time. However, the cleanliness, overall resort, staff and experience is five star for Mexico. My kids definitely have impressionable memories for a lifetime.The kids programs were great! Lastly, if you rent a car, finding this place can be challenging.

Room Tip: Family Suites are well worth it; they include a separate room. Higher floors are also less noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,925 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!