“Prestige Club: Azul Beach and Sensatori”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have read some complaints lately about the former Exotic Club and it's replacement the Prestige Club and wanted to say that we have been members since 2004 and it has worked well for us. We joined on our first visit to the old Azul Beach Resort and have upgraded our membership four times. Last Feb. we upgraded to the Ruby room level and wanted to try them out so we booked a week each at the Azul Beach and Sensatori starting Nov 30. We were at the Beach two years ago for the third time and the Sensatori five years before when it opened.
The Ruby level comes with private transportation from the airport which is better than waiting for a shared van.
Our room at the Azul Beach was actually the honeymoon suite because the hotel doesn't have the same room choices as the bigger hotels in the chain. It was a larger room in the old wing with an ocean view and four bottles of liquor in the cabinet. The room was quiet with good lighting but the major drawback and the reason I wouldn't take this room again was that although it had a very large balcony the only furniture on it were two straight backed wooden chairs with no padding and a small table. Fine for having a coffee but not relaxing. Other units would have a small bed and two wooden or wicker padded chairs. I would have moved the couch out from the room but it was too small to be useful for anything but decoration. I talked about this several times with the Prestige people and they kept promising something but delivered nothing. In retrospect I should have asked Victor our butler to see what he could do as he was very good at arranging things.
Several years ago one of the managers there thought that the Azul Beach would go from being the poor cousin of the Karisma chain to the star of the show and I think they have done it. The food is outstanding and the friendly service is exceptional. I used to complain that although the food was good they used to spend way too much decorating the plates while you sat there wishing you had a crib board handy. Now the food is better than ever and served promptly. After our two meals in the Tianen my wife was given a rose each time which was a nice touch.. Our favorite hotel is the Eldorado Maroma because of the rooms and the beach but the Azul Beach has a larger and more varied choice of menus, better food and still a pretty good beach
The major drawback at the Azul Beach is that you had better like kids. They have tapped a major market here and every third person looks about three feet tall and it seems you are at a stroller convention. They are fun on the beach but can be trying at dinner. Fortunately a lot of them seem to use room service so we did have some peaceful dinners with only minor screeches in the restaurants.
After the week we transferred to the Sensatori where we had a room on the third floor of the premier section near the ocean with a beautiful view and a large padded bench/bed facing the ocean. The room was about the same size but dark. Plug ins were scarce so to plug in the computer I had to unplug one bed lamp.I should mention here that the WiFi in both resorts was excellent and free for the ruby rooms.
The star of the Sensatori is Le Chic restaurant. I thought it even better than our previous visit with it's Mexican themed dinner while my wife liked the continental dinner of five years before. We both agreed that one of the deserts was pure genius and we wished we had brought a camera. The Tapaz restaurant was good for one visit and the other three can't compare to the Azul Beach offerings. We liked the Spoon lunch buffet choices but found the dinner items were barely warm. Other than the Tapaz and Le Chic we found the service very slow . I ordered a hamburger at lunch in the Spoon and my wife was finished three courses from the buffet before I got served. At our dinner on the beach we gave up waiting for dessert and left. The chairs we uncomfortable and the wind was strong so not a good night for lingering after coffee.
The Zavaz serves nothing but hamburgers at lunch which is a little strange but has good dinner choices. Our favorite place for breakfast was the Mexican restaurant which wasn't quite a slow and much quieter than the din in the Spoon..
The major drawback at the Sensatori is the fact that it is unsafe to swim at the beach. You can wade out a little ways before hitting rocks and other sharp objects which isn't much improvement in five years. The Secrets beach next door isn't much better so you still have to walk north past the boats for find a safe spot.You also have to line up at seven in the morning to reserve a pool or beach bed though there is usually a shady palapas open. At the Azul beach you sign up the day before at three o'clock and there are two beds reserved for Prestige members so your odds are better. Drink service is very good at both hotels both on the beach and in the bars. The Karisma chain seems to hire exceptioal staff and train them well. When I checked in they asked about dietary problems and I told them of my lactose intolerance. At any of our special dinners they reviewed the menu with regards to my diet so obviously they are very well organized.
In spite of bad weather we are already looking forward to our next vacation in the same season at the Eldorados with the new program that gives us each $500 back with our airline boarding passes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobbrecken
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Once again, it was certainly a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to the Azul Beach Hotel for yet another vacation. As always, we truly appreciate your comments and feedback, this helps us to maintain our high standards and ensure we not only meet but continue to exceed all guest expectations.

I have taken note of all comments and will share your feedback with all staff.

Thank you again and I look forward to your return.

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,516)

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have not been able to post my review before now because of legal reasons.
Firstly the hotel, staff and the quality of food & drink first class.
My wife and I stayed at the Azul Beach in September. We upgraded to a Honeymoon suit with a butler. Her name was Pillar and she was fantastic.

I can not praise the resort enough, a fantastic place for a family

I will get my daughter who has not had to sign any legal disclaimers will post it for me soon about another company that operates within the Resort.

Room Tip: pay a few extra $$$ for an upgrade it is so worth it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank davenann3

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us, I'm very happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful Gourmet Inclusive experience.

Nevertheless, I am concerned by your comments mentioned concenring the legal reasons and the disclaimer signed. This is somewhat confusing and I would like to invite you to contact me personally so I can gather more details and review in detail. In addition I have reached out to you by private message for more information.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 16, 2013

The entire experience at Azul Beach Resort is on my all-time list of bests. Not only is the location gorgeous, this resort and its staff go above and beyond to make sure it is your best ever. We were there for my step-daughter's wedding. In all our travels, never have we experienced such personal service. We are still going through withdrawls at our "family" we left there. The wedding party rented out Villa Carola, and had Hans as our butler. At most hotels/resorts, the staff is always hovering until you really need something, then they are no where to be found. Hans and his staff were virtually invisible and just made things happen. If you even THOUGHT you might need something, Hans appeared with it. We had a whole gaggle of children there that were treated like royalty, our entire party was. Daniel was also over & above helpful with anything that we needed. This was what an all-inclusive, 5 star resort should be like. The staff knows you and your likes, you are not treated liked a guest, but like family, and you are catered to beyond any expectations. The grounds were pristine, the rooms were large and comfortable. We got a family swim up...which because the pools are not heated, it was a little cold to be frolicking in the water, but we did. We swam up to the swim-up bar for some drinks. The other kids there (besides all of ours) were all respectful and courteous, so it really made it feel family-friendly, but not like Disneyland and overrun with people & kids. It is a small family-style resort where you get a personal experience like no other.
I HIGHLY recommend!!!!!

Room Tip: Family swim ups in the 900 villa were very quite. The A/C units were amazing!! Our end unit (907...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your glowing feedback, it was truly a pleasure to host you and your family. It's great to know that your experiences were in line with our unique Gourmet Inclusive vacation concept and that we were able to go above and beyond all expectations.

One major feature when staying at the Villa Carola is our private Butler service; it's so great to know that Hans and our staff provided you with a superior level of service and catered to your every need.

Once again, It was an honor to host your holiday and I hope to you, your family and friends again soon at Villa Carola or the Azul Beach Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We love this place so much, it's been our family holiday the past 3 years in a row. The food is incredible, the service awesome and the rooms and pools are top-notch. The kids get involved in all the activities, and we just chill out and relax knowing they're just steps away and so well taken care of. A true holiday. We all love it!

Room Tip: Rooms 700 or higher only is what we pick... or the villas!
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thank for taking the time to share your experiences , I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your vacation. We are very focused on all the needs of our guests, especially the families and we do everything to take out the stress of traveling with children so you can enjoy some well deserved quality time as a family.

We hope to see you again so we can provide you and your family with another wonderful Gourmet Inclusive vacation experience.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed here after spending a week at Playacar Palace in Playa Del Carmen. We have been to this area of Mexico and stayed at many resorts. In retrospect we should have just stayed at Playacar Palace the second week as Azul failed big time!!
First of all this resort is yes nice to look at, but in my opinion thats where it ends.
We arrived and did not have the room we booked, so Alonso came to our room which by the way is way over sprayed with very stinky "aromatherapy". He said we could move the next day and showed me the room, thank you Alonso. He also apologized for no toys or playpen being in our family suite for our 10 month old baby.
My daughter has a severe dairy allergy and i breastfeed her so if I eat it she gets really sick. I never once had any issue with this at Playacar yet every single meal at Azul was ridiculous..I know how to ask for no dairy etc in spanish and still my food would take forever to come and every time have butter or cheese on it. So basically getting food would be a two hour sometimes more ordeal..ya thats fun with a 10 month old who's hungry!!!! I often sat while my husband ate and i would often just say forget it.The waiters seemed annoyed that i was making a fuss about i????? Really? Attitude from servers who cannot take care of a basic food allergy? Ridiculous! I felt like I could not eat at this resort. Pilar and Yadi tried to help and sometimes it helped slightly but then no waiter wanted to help because they were scared.
I have to thank Daniela one of the chefs who if she was working would come and make sure none of my food or my daughters had dairy in it.
But seriously we suffered the entire trip with this and could not wait to get home it was awful. I think if you are calling yourself a gourmet inclusive restaurant you should be able to handle a pretty simple food allergy. My daughter was still sick when we got home and it took two weeks for her full body rash to clear up. I would say if anyone has food allergies stay clear of this resort!!!!
Oh I forgot to mention that to apologize we were offered what is called suite week..but we had to go to a meeting…TIMESHARE, thanks a lot for apologizing and then making us spend two hours in a timeshare meeting where they wanted $22,000 from us. Horrible customer service.
Not pleased and will never recommend this place to anybody ever!!!!

9  Thank Lindsey E

Dear Lindsay

As General Manager , I would first like to thank you for your comments detailing your experiences encountered at the Azul Beach Hotel. I'm truly very sorry for the issues mentioned and I can assure you, your experiences are unacceptable and definitely not indicative of our high quality and standards. It is very disappointing to hear what you and your family went through during your time with us and I have reached out to you in a private message. I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you directly in hope that I can resolve your disappointment and restore your faith in us as a luxury family resort.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Very nice place to be with kids. We did have some problem in our first day there and David - the concierge supervisor was extremely helpful and solved everything in the next day. I personally is not a big fan of all inclusive but this hotel offers such a great variety of cousins and number of restaurants, I changed my mind.
Will try to take whole family next time

1  Thank Felix K

Thank you for your review of your experiences from your vacation.

We look forward to your next visit, this time with all your family!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Pros:
20 minutes from the airport
Rooms and site is constantly renovated and modern
Staff is very helpful and never says no
Food is the best ever experienced for a resort
Beach is nice but small
Nudist resort accessible by beach - watch your kids
Pilar, the concierge is the best
Great for weddings with an onsite wedding coordinator giving you lots of options
Small resort makes for great sleep and privacy - this is not a party place with all outside bars closing

Cons:
No club on site ( for dancing)
Tainan Asian restaurant very dissapointing
Only 2 lunch options, menu gets repetitive if you stay for a week
You must reserve your bed on the beach and there are only a few
Room service is slow
For a gourmet resort, only 1 table wine and red and bubbly included, the rest of the wine was 2.5 times marqued up

Room Tip: Ask for building 6 and up which contain newer rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ISAandCHRIS

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community.

Please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies in service, I never like to hear such comments nevertheless I appreciate your honest opinons and this will assist us to ensure we maintain focused on providing only the very best to our guests.

We hope to see you again at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Mexico
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#59 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
1 mi away
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!