“Simply Amazing!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
NH
“Simply Amazing!!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from Azul and had the time of our lives! What an absolutely wonderful resort!! David who manages the resort was on top of everything every day. He could always be found amongst the guest seeing to their every need. At the Spa the service was incredible. We found Cynthia who manages it to be terrific, and her staff Maria (great deep tissue massage), Patricia (great relaxing massage), Wilmere, Veronica, Anna all amazing but the "Best" we save for last. Roberto was awesome!!! He truly made our stay memorable and was just wonderful in every way! All the staff in the entire resort were so warm, happy, and so eager to please. Room service was quick, transportation was great, and you never had to wait anywhere for anything. The entire staff made this trip so enjoyable they are as a unit awesome!!!

We hope to be fortunate enough to return someday soon. Until then we honestly highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a 5-star get away that will truly be memorable!!!

Stu & Victoria NH

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 7 which was wonderful, but all villas seem close to everything.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Many thanks for your wonderful review, I'm glad that you experienced your vacation at the Azul Beach Hotel. Your praise for your staff , especially cinthya, Maria, Patricia, Ana, Veronica, Wilmere, David & Roberto will be passed on to them as there is nothing better than receiving recognition from our guests.

It was a pleasure to host you holiday and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Polish first
Devils Lake, North Dakota
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family of 14, all converged on Azul Beach Resort to celebrate our daughters wedding.
The moment we arrived, all the employees were extremely happy to make our experience unforgettable.
My husband was killed in Afghanistan on December 3, 2012. For the past 7 months, our hearts have been heavy.
The incredibly sincere service we received was unsurpassed...
From facials on the beach, to a beautiful beachfront wedding, our trip was amazing~
Collectively, we all decided this was the best vacation ever!
We will continue to return to Azul Beach Resort.

2 Thank Adrienne L
Thank you for your wonderful review, i very much enjoyed reading about your experiences. We feel very privileged each time we are chosen to host such a special occasion in our guests lives and we do our utmost to ensure that we create exactly what they envision for their wedding .

It was an honor to host you and your family and I hope that the Azul Beach Hotel will be your number one choice for future family vacations,

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The only bright spot of our stay here was the lovely staff and service of the locals. I have to give them credit. Apart from that, everything else was terrible. Not only is the all inclusive MEALPLAN a scam, they had no record of our reservation upon arrival, there was one person at the desk at 11pm on a Saturday night, not another soul around. We were told they could give us a room for the night but the next day would have it straightened out and make it up to us. The room we got was located in the back half a mile from the beach and pool, with a Sewage odor outside. That is what they burn the incense to cover up. We spent our entire first day still packed, waiting for a room change, with no access to wifi because our room wasn't registered, and ultimatetely someone from the concierge told us he could get us $200 back for the trouble. That turned out to be nothing but a "gift" for being taken on a sales tour to get us to buy their timeshare or upgrade our room for another $600! Then, two days later we were handed a bill for $1800 for the mealplan! Our travel agent told us it would be half that amount. If these weren't enough insults, discussions with Prestige, the timeshare management, did nothing but waste more of our time waiting for this manager or that manager who were all out to lunch or in meetings, then ultimately blaming it all on our agent, and doing absolutely nothing. No room change, no $200 back. Nowhere is their meal plan pricing printed or posted on their website. For all we know, somebody made a nice commission.
NOT only is the mealplan a scam, the hotel is located SO FAR from anything it's at least $100 roundtrip taxi fare to do anything such as shopping, Cancun, tours, etc. There is ONE bar, located outdoors at the pool, and a volleyball net on the beach. This is your entire range of "activities" for an "all inclusive resort", and if it rains, your one bar is rained out too! Anything you want to do costs MORE. Nothing is included, except food, and even that, sorry to say, left alot to be desired. Mexicans make good Mexican food, but not Sushi or Italian. There are No shuttles, no transportation, no activities, even the Wi FI isn't free, and if you each have a tablet, it's $10 per day PER DEVICE. If you do want to go on a tour, you have to book it a day in advance, and lose your money if you cancel due to rain. If you want a cabana on the beach you ahve to get there at precisely 3pm the day before to reserve one. And that is all there is to do on the property, or spend $100 to go anywhere else. And that would be my recommendation.......stay somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank George S
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
As general Manager , firstly I would like to apologize for what seems to have been a very dissappointing stay at the Azul Beach Hotel. I am quite confused by your comments as the entire hotel is Gourmet Inclusive and we have no other mealplans available. All our hotel packages and rates include this meal plan inlcuding the deals purchased through a travel agent or tour operator. Only guests that use an membership exchange program such as RCI or interval International have to pay for the GI plan separately , usually prior to arrival or on occasions on arrival with the prestige staff.

after a full review with my staff , I believe that we located your reservation and upon checking your final bill , we found only additional charges for spa treatment taken at Vassa spa .

Best Regards

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort for the first time 6 years ago, and I have always remembered it as my favorite resort (out of 8 trips down to the Riviera Maya). 14 of us went back for another family trip June 15-22, and it exceeded my expectations yet again. The staff across the board is friendly and aims to please and is amazing with the children. They are responsive to any issues (only had a few minor ones) and they work hard to cater to any and all your preferences.

My room (410 – a deluxe room) was very clean and has had the décor refreshed since I was there last. It had a comfortable bed, modern furniture, a flat panel TV and fresh paint. Housekeeping was fantastic. They kept towels well stocked, and I always had plenty of water/soda in my mini bar. But the best part of my room was the view! I could lay in bed and watch the sun rise over the ocean/beach, or sit on my patio and relax with beautiful beach views. I had family staying in the new wing (the family suites), and those rooms were stunning—large, well appointed (I called them “swanky”)-- but those rooms didn’t have close to the beautiful views I had in my older/remodeled deluxe room. I would say you really can’t go wrong with your room choice at this intimately sized resort. If you are travelling with a family, I would recommend the family suites. If you are travelling as a couple or with just one small child, the deluxe rooms are the way to go.

They have several fantastic restaurants to choose from at the resort that never seemed crowded and had very good service. We ate at each one a couple different times and the food and service was consistently fantastic at each one. The fillet I had at the Latin restaurant outdid any steak I have ever eaten while at a resort in Mexico…. perfectly cooked and VERY tender. The quality of the food at this resort is far superior to most of the resorts I have stayed at in the area. The staff was also very good about catering to the children first. (They took the children’s orders almost immediately and got their food to them first. When traveling with 5 small kids in the group, this helped make the family meals much smoother.) After dinner go see the bartender in the tequila bar…. The ambiance is cool, the tequilas are top shelf and the bartender is fantastic!!!! I would say he was the best bartender at the resort!

The beach was great and beach beds are a perfect way to spend the day (just make sure you put your name on the reservation list for a beach bed at 3PM the day before, or check in after 10AM the same day to see if can get an unclaimed one.) One minor negative about the beach was the amount of seaweed washing ashore each day. They have a team of staff that works diligently every day to clear the seaweed, so it’s not really much of a problem (but it is noticeable). If the beach isn’t your thing, there are tons of pools to choose from… two have swim up bars, and at least one is very shallow for the very small children.

The entertainment team put on great shows each night… from fire shows and discos on the beach to kid friendly shows nightly in the theater. During the day the team is busy hosting volleyball games, beach soccer, beach mechanical bull riding, stretching on the pier, salsa lessons, cooking lessons, etc. They are friendly, fun, and engaging.

The spa facility is beautiful, and the massages myself and my family signed up for were on par with any spa I’ve been to. (Tip – they will come to the beach and offer a free sample massage during the day, and may offer discounted times to get massages then as well. ) The gym facilities are modern, clean, and have very nicely maintained equipment.

I am sure I could go on and on about this resort…. But I’ll finish by saying this. With just a 15 minute ride from Cancun airport to this gem of a resort, you really are missing out if you DON’T experience Azul Beach! It is a top notch resort all the way around and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 410 (in the older but updated section) had THE most amazing views! It's a second floor end...
2 Thank Browneyes8998
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager en Azul Beach Hotel, at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is very rewarding to know that you have enjoyed every moment of your vacation at the Azul Beach Resort .

Again, thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel for this vacation and we hope to share many more in the future.

San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Azul Beach--we last stayed there 6 years ago and loved it. There have been lots of improvements since then and the resort has only gotten better! Our entire family went for a week, and between us we had 2 family suites and 2 deluxe rooms. The family suites are new and are AWESOME! Very spacious and clean. The bathroom was huge, with 2 sinks, separate toilet, separate shower and a jacuzzi tub. The parents "room" has sliding dividers to separate it from the kids sleeping in the living area (the L shaped couch becomes an L shaped bed, with a trundle, so can sleep up to 3). There is a large flat screen TV in the living area and a smaller flat screen in the parent area. A word of advice--while the resort's website advertises DVD players in all rooms (and there are), the DVD players are country specific, so our USA DVDs wouldn't play in them. There is no setting or anything to change this. They do have some DVDs you can borrow at the front desk, but they were mostly in Spanish. So, bring your own DVD player if you think you'll need it. The satellite had about 5 or 6 English channels. Not that you spend much time watching TV, but during "rest time" we did. Back to the room. The room also had a small dining table with 4 chairs, a nice sized balcony & good closet space. There is a hair dryer, magnifying mirror & iron in the room. The room also has a mini-fridge, stocked with sodas, bottled water and beer. Maid service was excellent--we had plenty of towels, were given plenty of bottled waters & everything was kept clean. The air conditioning in the rooms is great, not only keeping it cool but dry. There was no humidity in the room at all, which is rare in tropical locales! Our swimsuits would hang dry overnight! Some of the family suites are "swim-ups"--the back patio opens onto the pool with a ladder (can be gated off). We didn't have these, but they seemed to be popular. I was very impressed at how quiet it was. Despite being surrounded by families, you can't hear them through the walls. The only time we heard our neighbors was when they were in the breezeway.

The resort itself is bigger than 6 years ago, but still not huge or overwhelming. The beaches are nice and the beach beds rock! You do have to sign up the day before to get a beach bed, but it's well worth it. The beach, pools & restaraunts never felt crowded! Often we were the only ones in the ocean or the pool (there are lots of them).

The beach is very nice--there was quite a bit of seaweed, but they work constantly to clean it up and keep the sand clear. The beach butlers are very attentive. There are sand toys available to borrow, as well as boogie boards, etc. We took our snorkel masks, and there are some fish, etc. to see, but not tons. You can walk up the beach quite a ways in either direction (they are public) passing private residences and other resorts. (One word of caution--the next resort down to the right as you're facing the ocean is a completely clothing-free resort.) The pools are numerous and pristine. There is even a pool that is only 1 1/2 ft deep, perfect for the really little ones!

The staff is wonderful and attentive to adults and kids alike. Anything you want, you get, if it's within their power. Everyone is so friendly--you are always greeted with a smile and an "hola!". They have a good group of people handling the "entertainment"--there was lots to do (beach volleyball, beach soccer, beach golf, water balloon fights, kite lessons, stretching on the pier, salsa lessons, ceviche/guacamole making demonstrations to name a few) & whether they passed you on the sidewalk or sought you out on the beach or in the pool they made sure you knew & had the opportunity to participate. Many activities offered prizes to the winner.

They have Azulitos Kids Club. While we never left our kids there, (which you can do and it appears to be quite secure) we did go in to check it out and get the kids faces painted. It's a really nice facility with gym equipment, video games, toys, etc. and lots of activities. The staff was friendly and inviting. I was quite impressed that despite having only met us that one time, whenever we saw the staff from kids club on property, my children were greeted by name.

My sister and I had a massage at tha spa, and it was very nice. A word of advice--if you're thinking of getting a massage, wait till the spa staff approaches you on the beach or by the pool. They will offer you a free 5 minute sample massage, and then offer you special deals for the spa, which were by far the best value (we had a 50 minute massage for $92 each which included all of the fees and taxes). The gym is also nicely sized, well-equipped and very clean.

The restaraunts are great! There is a good kids menu, which while always the same offers plenty of options for the kiddos (cheeseburgers, macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.) and of course they can always order off of the regular menu, too. My youngest has a swallowing condition & there were plenty of options for her as well! The staff will make every attempt to prepare food any way you ask for it & to honor special requests. For breakfast you can order off of the menu or just choose from the HUGE breakfast buffet. Both are excellent. Lunches and dinners are off the menu. We ate at just about every restaraunt, and they were all very good to excellent. Roma, the Italian restaraunt, was my favorite (mmmm...chocolate cannoli!) by a slim margin.

The bars are also good, serving mostly premium liquors. The house wines are just so-so (I'm a wine drinker), but if it really bugs you, there is a wine list with better wine choices available for an extra charge. The Agavero Tequila Lounge for ages 18 and up has tons of tequilas for you to sip and sample, as well as all other liquors, wines & beers, sometimes that cannot be found in the other bars.

They have shows every night. We attended the African King (kids got to go up on stage and dance with the performers!) & the fire show. Both were great. Other members of our party attended other shows and liked them. My kids enjoyed the disco party on the beach.

The resort has wi-fi, but for a fee. It was $10/day or $25/3 days. I'm not sure if there was an option for longer. The login is for only one device. This was kind of a bummer--you'd think wi-fi would be included in an all-inclusive resort, but I understand this is kind of the status quo down there.

There is probably so much more to tell, but this should give you an idea of what a fantastic place this was! We left after our 7 day stay relaxed & well rested. We can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: If you have kids, go for the family suites!
10 Thank mommyinmotion
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager en Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel , firstly I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. Your feedback is truly valued and I'm glad that we were able to provide you and your family with a wonderful family vacation.

It was a pleasure to host your holiday at the Azul Beach Hotel

Irvine, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We just came back from an amazing 5 day vacation at Azul Beach Hotel with our 9.5 month old daughter! From the staff members to the food to the suite, everything was nearly perfect! The concierge and servers in the restaurants always had a smile for our little girl and took the time to talk to her (as much as you can talk to a 9.5 month old :)) We requested special dishes for our daughter (ie. grilled fish no seasoning, plain rice, etc) for every meal and were never made to feel as if it was a nuisance. I loved that we never had to wait for a table for any of the meals, which was great especially at dinner time, as our little girl gets fussy after 7pm. We also loved the fact that there was always a clean high chair for our daughter!

All our needs and wants were anticipated and met before we even asked! David made sure our Fisher Price Family Suite was fully stocked with a change table/bath tub, playpen, bottle warmer and sterilizer, crib and toys upon our arrival. The service at Blue restaurant was by far the best! Antonio and another gentleman (whose name escapes me at the moment) were the friendliest and best servers. By the second day, they had fresh pineapple juice for me a few minutes after we sat down for breakfast :) The only issue we experienced with the restaurant is that the restaurant hours should be posted in front. One night, we waited 10 minutes inside Tainan restaurant, only to find out the restaurant was closed that night (Monday). I'm not sure why the door was unlocked.

As for the beach, we barely spent any time there. The palapas have to be reserved the day before at 3pm and we seem to always miss the deadline. The palapas take up most of the beach, but there are loungers and umbrellas for those who couldn't secure a palapa. We didn't care much to spend our time on the beach. There was quite a bit of seaweed on the shore and in the water. We spent most of our time in the pool by Villa 9. It was always empty because it was not attached to a bar :) It was perfect to swim in with our daughter.

The food was pretty good. If you are expecting authentic Asian, Latino or Italian foods, this is not the resort for you. We enjoyed the food and the different spin on each of these cuisines. I really liked the Caribbean Cocktail from the CHIL restaurant and ordered it many many times :) We also really liked the Chef's Appetizer from the Latino restaurant, minus the salad.

The only upsetting experience was when we were misled into attending an appointment about the Prestige Traveler program. A concierge staff member asked us if we would be interested in giving our opinions about the resort, as Karisma was trying to achieve 5 diamond status. We were told it would only take a few minutes of our time and we would be compensated with a complimentary 30 mins. couples massage or a candlelight dinner for two. We set-up an appointment and when we showed up, we were told this was a presentation about the Prestige Traveler program and it would take an hour! We politely went along with it hoping we'd be able to give our opinions about the resort, but no such opportunity came up. For almost an hour, we listened to the benefits of the Prestige Traveler program, while our little girl was getting fussier by the minute and the sales person did not seem to care.

Other than that little hiccup, we had a fabulous time and would recommend it to anyone looking for a family/baby-friendly vacation.

3 Thank i2wong
Many thanks for sharing your experiences with future travelers , i enjoyey reading your feedback and i'm happy you had a great vacation at the Azul Beach Hotel.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Huddersfield
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our Perfect Wedding Resort April 25th 2013.
My husband and I booked this resort for our wedding, we took 20 guests with us from England, 2 from Canada, and none of us were disappointed.
After a very shaky start by the tour operator ('Thomsons', a 24hr delay in Manchester, not enjoyable) we arrived at our hotel.
The moment our coach pulled up outside it took our breath away, the view out to the ocean from the lobby was dazzling. Gorgeous, clear blue sea, sunshine, picture postcard romantic setting.
This resort is a small piece of heaven, the pictures simply do not do it justice.

Each guest was spoken with in the foyer upon arrival, our member of staff was Ismael, he was so polite, helpful and friendly. We each chose the firmness of our bed pillows and the scent for our room, sprayed each evening by Lesvia, our wonderful maid.

Our on-site wedding co-ordinator, Miroslava came to meet us just to say hello. She was a real treasure. I couldn't have gotten through the day without her.

We were upgraded, to our astonishment, to a suite, in the new block, our room was situated above one of the swim-up rooms, very quiet and beautiful.

All of the staff at this resort are an absolute credit to the hotel and company, they cannot do enough for you, your wish is their command. No matter how busy they are, they always smile and make suggestions for wonderful cocktails.

Benjamin was a one of the cheery waiters at the bar, he was awesome, so funny and seemed to appear just as your glass got empty.

Josua (nick name Mickey Mouse) was one of the entertainment co-ordinator's, he was a great sport, offering sports or entertainment to suit each of us.

Breakfast each day is buffet style, you'll meet a fantastic lady, who I feel goes unnoticed cooking/frying eggs on an individual basis, Edith, she is lovely, smiling and laughing, getting everyone's order just right.

Our wedding was perfect, on the beach with gorgeous oranges and hot pinks. The guests stood and clapped and the moment was captured forever in our hearts.
The evening meal in the Blue Restaurant was private for the 22 of us and absolutely perfect.
Our guests surprised us with wonderful champagne, fruit and cheeses for our return to the room, with our lovely bubbly bath and rose petals on the floor, it was such a dream.
We enjoyed a wonderful Lobster Meal for two in one of the cabana's one evening as a gift from a wonderful couple who joined us for our experience. Juan Jose was our waiter, he was fantastic.

I can recommend this Hotel to anyone planning a wedding, wanting a holiday for fun and adventure or to relax, you get more than you pay for.

We all want to go again, we all hope to make it back in 5yrs for our anniversary if not before.

Don't miss out, this should be on everyone's 'to do' list.

No hard sell for trips from staff, no hassle, just pure pleasure.
simple AWESOME x

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JayneElla
Many thanks for your review , I'm very hapy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and was part of your special celebration. We work to make all wedding dreams come true.

We hope to see you again , maybe to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary.

Best Regards and I will you a lifetime of happiness

#23 of 175 in Cancun
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!