“2 weeks in Paradise”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scottish Borders, United Kingdom
“2 weeks in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding and i must say the hotel was immaculate, the rooms were fantasic as were the staff. They attended to your every needs with thought even down to shaking the sand of your shoes and folding your clothes up when you went into the sea!
The quality of the food was outstanding with a varied choice. There was an extensive selection of good quality drinks (maybe you need to go easy on the tequilla's unlike me)
The wedding went beautifully well planned and extremely attentitive staff.
Oh and the massages in front of the beach wow!
This is what I would call living in paradise for 2 weeks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank npelliot
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Azul Beach Hotel , i'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we catered to your every request. It an honor to be entrusted with the wedding and i'm happy to know that the celebrations went above and beyond all expectations.

we all hope to see you again very soon at the Azul Beach Hotel

gm@azulbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had previously been to the Azul beach as a couple, and came back with our toddler. Both visits were great, but the hotel really came into it's own when showing it's capabilities as a place for families with young children. They accomodated every request, including delivering cartons of fresh milk daily for the baby and packing up our filet steaks from the restaurant to deliver to us as room service when the baby had a melt-down at dinner. I was unsure that my husband and I would be able to relax with the baby in tow, but the hotel set-up, faxilities, kids club, and staff ensured mom and dad enjoyed the vacation as much as the kiddo. VERY VERY HAPPY.

Room Tip: the family swim up suite was perfect for us, as our little guy just wanted to swim constantly. If y...
4 Thank ATXLindsay
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words, it was a pleasure to read the details of your experiences. I'm glad that you found that the Hotel facilities and staff catered to your every request , enabling you to enjoy a relaxing family holiday

we hope that you will chose to return to the Azul Beach Hotel again in the future.

Regards

Pater Hechler
Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my 4th time at Azul Beach Hotel. It is a very friendly, emaculate facility.
The employees of any status are all extremely friendly and helpful. I don't have room to name them all - so - Juan on the beach-very helpful. Revecca is beyond lovely and friendly - she remembered us .AND what we drank. Jessica - activities- she is very bubbly. Rueben, the best waiter in the BLU restaurant. Carlos - the best room service waiter. Last but definitely not least is Ernesto - manager of food and beverage - goes beyond helpful. Lastly is Peter - the general
manager. Looking forward to next February!! Thanks everyone.

Room Tip: the older rooms have a very scenic view. We prefer that - the newer rooms are very lovely but witho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy P
It was a pleasure to welcome you for yet another memorable vacation at the Azul Beach Resort. I have passed your comments on to the mentioned staff and have also used your review in staff meetings. I can assure you that there is nothing more rewarding that recognistion from our valued guests.

It was a pleasure to meet you and we will be waiting to welcome you next february.

Thanks again

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just spent a week at the Azul Beach with my husband and toddler.

Pros:
- Family friendly. Not a place for couples-only. Almost every table had families with young kids - babies, toddlers, grammar school. Not too many tweens and teenagers.

- Azulitos club - perfect to take your baby/toddler/child for fun. Kids 4+ can be at the club for activities. Younger kids can go and play with parental/guardian supervision, or you can hire one of the Azulito staff members to babysit for a fee ($15US/hr).

- Very clean. The resort is well managed from the grounds, the beach, the common spaces, the restaurants, the rooms, the pools - all very clean.

- Family Swim-up suite - we had a swim up suite in Villa 9 and loved it. It was worth it for us to enjoy the extra space. Villa 9 is near a swim-up bar which was very nice and clean. Rooms included a king bed, safe, fridge, iron, l-shaped couches, trundle bed perfect for toddler, table and chairs, huge bathroom, etc. The junior swim up suites were also really nice, but slightly smaller decks and rooms. Quick tip - the radio/clock in the room can play your ipod/iphone and the speakers in the bathroom are great.

- FisherPrice loaners - you can borrow toys from the concierge (not the Azulitos club). You pay a deposit, get a toy, and then you can exchange it for another toy. Our daughter had a great time picking out a toy to play with each day.

- Gourmet Inclusive - food and drinks were great. They make the effort on presentation and style.

- Staff - overall, very good.

- Vassa Spa - excellent. Fantastic relaxing massage. You can choose to do your services outside on the beach or inside in their relaxing facilities. We did a couples massage inside and it was great.

- Activities - good. Not a place for toga parties and dance parties, but some yoga, beach volleyball, and a little cheesy evening entertainment was fun.

- Beach Cabanas - very good, if you can get one. You have to wait in line by the beach desk by 3pm. Our week started out with a 30-40 min waiting period. By the last day, if you weren't in line by 2:00pm, you were not getting a beach cabana.

- Pools - there are multiple pools. Adults-only pools, kids pools, family pools, etc. We found the pool by our suite (Villa 9) was the warmest; they can be a bit chilly. There are plenty of floating rafts to lounge on too.

- Aqualounge - best bar for the evening. Swings, music, chairs, lighted blocks - good drinks.

Cons
- Service - either fantastic or you are ignored. Our experience was about 85% fantastic, 15% ignored. We had fantastic service most days, but other times - we were ignored and had to ask multiple times for something, and we're not the overly demanding type. Our first night we were excited to get our 'pillow' selection; it never arrived. We asked again the next day - still didn't arrive; eventually arrived the 3rd day. Our daughter didn't have any bedding; we called housekeeping - waited, and then ripped the sheets off of our bed to make up a bed for her. Housekeeping came eventually but our daughter was already asleep, so they just made up our bed. Another day we were at the Chill Bar and 4 tables were seated 15-20 minutes after us. The other tables got their drinks and food and we were still waiting for a glass of water. We went to the Latino restaurant one night and had great service; we decided to go again the next night and we were ignored. No water, no drinks, forgot part of our meal, took forever - again seeing those who came in after us get served water, drinks and their food just fine. In talking to other guests, they had a similar experience.

- Guests complained about a sewage smell of the back of Villa 10. We didn't smell it, but heard others complaining about it.

- Staff was serving a lot of drinks to the beach 'vendors' under the Vassa Spa outdoor area. There are beach vendors who walk up and down the beach (which is federally owned). They hang out when they aren't selling their sunglasses/hats/etc under the Vassa Spa outdoor area. The beach staff serves them quite a few drinks - I witnessed 6 beers and a few other drinks being delivered, and that was just within one hour. The life guard and security staff are all aware - I assume this is accepted behavior, but it was a bit of a turn-off as a paying guest.

Overall - we had a great trip and would definitely recommend Azul Beach. The few hiccups we experienced were not the majority, so overall - very pleased.

Room Tip: Family Swim-up Suite was worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank name_screen
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent stay , it was a pleasure to host your family vacation. I'm thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments and I would like you to know that I have noted all feedback , in order to discuss with my operations team.

I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the majority of our services and facilities, from the family friendlt suites and the Fisher Price toy leaning library to the Vassa spa and our beautiful pools.
Please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies in service , i never like to hear such comments nevertheless I appreciate your honest opinons and this will assist us to ensure we maintain focused on providing only the very best to our guests. All comments have been addressed and I can assure you that immediate improvements have been made.

once again , we thank you for choosing the Azul Beach Hotel and I look forward to your next visit

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just returned from a trip to this beautiful property - my first time in Mexico but not my first "all-inclusive" experience. I have travelled all over the world, and stayed most recently at all-inclusives in Jamaica, Cuba, Greece and Thailand. This is a resort aimed at young families - the clientele are beautiful, quiet, respectful and well-behaved. Most people keep to themselves but we did meet people from all over the world. If you are looking for a party or a place you would feel comfortable lugging around a travel mug full of booze - this is not the place for you. My feedback is mainly for the hotel to enhance the experience of future guests and for when we return (which will be a definite yes).

PROS
- Wonderful, friendly staff who go above and beyond to meet guests needs. My experience was that staff take initiative and can contemplate your every need - i.e. Antonio who brought the baby a bowl of lime water to clean her hands after a messy meal and provided truly excellent service daily for every meal he served us; Elena who kept the Bubbles bar area super clean and clear of obstacles for the baby. It felt like the staff had a genuine interest in our happiness and comfort.
- kids club - great place for kids to play but there is a lot of loud TV watching/video game playing going on in there. I noticed when parents came in, the supervisors would seem more involved. Pila was FANTASTIC.
- beautiful, contemporary decor - loved the hanging beds in the bar and reception especially!
- loved the beach beds
- had a swim up suite - didn't use as much as we thought because it was so nice to be by the ocean
- the food is pretty good and beautifully plated. The vegetarian options are limited/repetive (a lot of grilled vegetables) but I found that anything I asked for could be made into a vegetarian meal (i.e. combo of side dishes).

CONS
- for a resort of this expense, and this quality, I was deeply dissapointed to learn the staff earn $4.50 US for a 12 hour day (minimum wage). I have not had this confirmed from the staff or the hotel but an outside agency. It is important to me that the places I stay reflect sustainable and just employment and environmental practices. There are a lot of green initiatives in place but I would suggest Karisma should rise to the challenge of also modelling reputable labour standards - especially for employees who work so steadfastly and such long days. This hotel is very pricey and I would expect this would trickle down to the staff payment. This resort is advertised as tipping included - but once we learned of the wages, I felt personally responsible to make sure individuals were compensated for their efforts. It didn't feel good and it would be well worth the investment for Karisma to market itself as a top employer. We drove through the neigbhourhood where many staff live - maybe even an investment by Karisma in the local community would be a good marketing strategy?
- I am not sure what the point of the personal concierge was. Our's was kind of useless. We did notify him about the level of noise we had when a family of 2 adults + 5 kids was placed in a room next to us midweek (I am pretty sure there is a smaller room capacity?). We told him we would report back if there was an ongoing issue and instead he moved the entire family which we felt awful about. We had offered to move. Other than that the rooms are pretty quiet - we did hear footsteps from above but they weren't too disruptive. There was some noise from the pool but generally guests were respectful.
- There were a couple of things presented as added bonuses that I could do without. When we arrived we were presented with a pillow option - but we never did end up getting the pillow we selected and I'm not entirely sure our linen or rooms were sprayed. I'd rather just have been allowed to relax when I arrived instead of making these silly decisions.
- Beach bed system - a colleague had been to this resort two weeks prior to me where there was a lottery for the beach beds as long as you entered your name in a draw before 3 pm the prior day. I did not enjoy spending 1/2 hour + in line to register for a beach bed. The beach is very small and sunny and for those travelling with infants, they are almost required. I would suggest you either allow for a family to purchase the bed for the week; or you have a rotating system where parties are assigned beds (especially those who are there for 1 week) - even if you have to divide it up into afternoon and morning options. Or alternatively, beach beds need to be used - you can't just throw a towel on the bed to reserve it for later. If you're not using a bed, it should be up for grabs for someone who is on the beach.
- There could be more beach staff tending to drinks etc
- I think the Snack bar should open earlier or there should be another place to get smoothies first thing in the morning. There are a lot of new parents up at 6am wondering around or earlier.
- Apparently there was one heated pool but we couldn't find it. Dissapointed that there was no jacuzzi. There is a "hot tub" in the Spa but it has not jets (essentially a big bath tub). The beautiful jacuzzi baths in the room were a plus but it would be nice to sit in a hottub on the cooler days.
- Spa charges a 10% tax because it is not part of the hotel. They give hotel guests a discount of 10% (misleading) but it doesn't apply to promotions or packages.
- I would recommend adding an adults only area/pool - there is a lot of space, and it would be nice to have one area to sit in if you wanted a break.

All in all I really enjoyed this place!

12 Thank Travel B
Thank you for your review of your experiences from your recent vacation. I'm glad to hear that there were many aspects of the hotel and found our staff very friendly , attending to you every need.

I would like you to know I value each and every member of staff at the Azul Beach Hotel. I do my best to ensure we create a pleasurable working environment and that all employees are happy at work. Also I am very happy that we have many long standing employees that have chose to stay working with us for many years . To touch on your comments about their wages, the salaries of our staff are in accordance with Mexican laws and Guidelines. In addition they have union representation to ensure that they are paid correctly and work reasonable hours.

Also we have recently created a GI foundation, in the future this will help the local communities. We have very big ambitions and hope to aid schools, health facilities and provide scholarships.

It was a pleasure to host you holiday and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regard

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

All I can say is WOW!! What an incredible trip! We stayed at the Azul Beach Hotel from Feb 26th to March 5th. There were four of us, including a 4 and 7 year old. We stayed in a family suite in villa 9. The food was amazing. I am very picky about food. Blue was top notch and the waiters in there were superb, especially Fidel, Rueben and Alfredo. There is a real emphasis on service at this resort. You see the same amazing employees every day. Antonio, the butler on the beach was also great. I just loved the Latin restaurant for dinner. Wonderful food.

The children just loved kids club. They would go daily from 10am until 1pm and then again from 4pm to 5pm. It was actually a wonderful way for them not to get too much sun as my husband and I were down on the beach from 11am onwards. We got a bali bed every day. It is not a lottery system anymore. You now have to wait in line to get one at 3pm every day. It was only about a 15-25 minute wait from Tuesday to Friday, but starting on Saturday my husband was lining up for 45 minutes to an hour to get one. It was well worth it though. The beach at Azul is one of the best in the area. Shallow and blue, no coral or rocks, just beautiful white sand.

We will go back again next year. The kids are the perfect age for this resort. I really loved how everything was geared to being outside. The resort itself is small, but I really loved that about it. This is a very quiet resort. There was a disco on the beach one night and some shows in the theatre which my daughter really enjoyed. We just loved this place!!! See you next year!!!!

Room Tip: Get a family room if you have kids who are not infants. It was huge and everyone was comfortable!!
4 Thank Pipcat1
Thank you , it is always very rewarding to read the comments and feedback from our valued guests. It's great to know that you had a memorable vacation with your family and we were able to create memories that can be treasured for years to come. We do our best to provide all our guests with a unique vacation experience where famililes and couples like can enjoy superior quality and Gourmet Cuisine in a relaxing, beachfront enviroment.

we are thrilled to hear that your children enjoyed our Azulitos Playhouse , our nannies are dedicated and ensure that all children enjoy every minute , playing and having fun whilst learning.

We hope to see you again very soon at the Azul Beach Hotel

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got back from a 4 night trip. Beach is beautiful. Staff was amazing. Food and drinks were great. The child center is great for kids who are at least 4 but they have babysitters for kids under 4. I must say that everything about our trip was great. I will come back again and I think if you have young kids this place is really amazing.

The pools are nice but they have no outdoor hot tub.

My only criticism is that they charge for wifi per device and not per family so if you have a couple of devices you can end up paying a lot.

Room Tip: Get the family suite if you have two kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank nycrunner5
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I have read through your comments and have noted all feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and that we were able to provide you with a superior vacation experience.

unfortunately we do not currently consider the cost of WIFI within our room rates and we believe that each guests has the choice to choose whether or not they wish to pay for this . Instead of automatically including this service in the rate of the room , the guest can contract per day , per week or per stay on arrival if desired.

we hope that you will chose to return to visit us for yet another wonderful Gourmet Inclusive vacation

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,925 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!