“Incredible place to go with a baby”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Incredible place to go with a baby”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm a bit slow at getting our review up here. We (me, my wife and our 11 month old daughter) took a 5 night trip to Azul Beach around the middle of August 2012. What an amazing resort! It was the nicest resort we have ever been to, and it was the perfect vacation for taking our baby. The food was unbelievable. Our two favorite restaurants for dinner were Roma and Latino. The service was great, the food was great, the wines were great. Keep in mind, the food and service is great at all the restaurants, but those two were our favorites. The staff was great with the baby. They always provided a high chair with a toy for her. They always asked if she needed anything. They had baby food, fruit, milk. She loved interacting with the staff.

The room was great as well. We stayed in a junior jacuzzi suite with an ocean view. Great for us because when the baby was napping, we could sit outside and watch the ocean. They took care of providing a crib, bottle warmer, and other baby necessities.

The Tequila Lounge was a cool perk on the property. They have 30 or 40 kinds of tequila and mescal. Because we were going to bed early (b/c of the baby) and we're early birds anyway, I would go before dinner and have the bartender pick 2 or 3 tequilas for me to try. And these are very good, high-end tequilas. For an all-inclusive resort, they didn't go cheap.

The beach was nice for what we needed. We mainly lounged on the beach during the day because, what else are you going to do with a baby. We did go on a snorkeling trip that we booked through the hotel. If not for the baby, we would have booked through a different company, but the trip through the hotel left from straight out our front door. The convenience was worth the higher price.

Hard to find any faults with this resort. The grounds were beautiful, our room was huge, clean and very well appointed, great food and drinks, very friendly and helpful staff, clean pools (pools everywhere, btw), quiet for the most part. The weather was really nice, too. Much cooler that Oklahoma at that time of year. It rained a couple days, but it was brief. I really think we'll try another Karisma resort next summer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dan W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We spent the last week at the Azul Beach Hotel, by Karisma and had a delightful experience!
Located in sunny Puerto Morelos just outside of Cancun the resort is a delightful hotel that caters to both families, weddings and just those looking for a great vacation.
When we arrived we were quickly greeted, given beverages and checked in.
Alberto was our bellman and on our way to the room showed us all the great features of the hotel including the spa, restaurant, the agents lounge, the way to the beach, Azulitos kids club...everything we needed to know.
We stayed in a family swim up suite which I feel was divine! You leave your balcony and swim. Right up to the bar or the other way if you want to burn calories and not drink them up :-)
This was our first trip with 2 children age 2 and 9 months. We had no clue how it was going to be for them, but the Azul Beach had it all. The Azulitos Kids Club was a great place filled with tons of toys the kids loved. Every restaurant and the lobby is full of Fisher Price toys so no chance of your kids getting bored. I brought my 9 month old's food for the week, but if you don't they even have Gerber blended food for baby! Also available for free: baby tubs, strollers, bottle warmers, monitors...just about anything you need for the little one.
The restaurant were wonderful. No reservations required and they serve you at the table. My favorites were Latino, Chil and Tainan. Latino had great Mexican food and a wonderful fish dish served with rice and plantains. Chil is right on the ocean...you can get more beautiful than that and it served once of my favorite desserts, the lemon pie. Tainan serves sushi and Asian cuisine and there noodles were delicious. There are also three other restaurants Roma, Blue and La Mancha. All are good. If you don't feel like going out, room service is available 24/7. They always come, but they always get something wrong. Rice instead of pasta, corn flakes when you wanted frosted flakes...always something.
Although we mostly only used the swimup bar, the beverages are good. I mostly went with the drink of the day and my favorite wine in the restaurant.
The SPA: Absolutely amazing. Friendliest staff, best services...wonderful. My husband and I got a 50 minute couples massage and hydrotherapy package. Sauna, steam room, jacuzzi...magical. We actually were late returning to our room but the nanny totally understood!
Miriam provided the nanny service and she was wonderful. If was only $15/hr for 2 children which I though was a good price. We came in and one child was sleep, the other completely happy and quiet!
Lost and Found: With children you always have tons of 'stuff', I lost and found a plastic bib and a $24 plastic giraffe that my daughter teeths on. Thanks Lenin for helping me!
Lastly, there was the concierge service. I have two feeling on them. Personally, they were very nice people. Professionally however, they send you a card saying you are entitled to $150 to use in different areas of the resort including the spa and this is just because they appreciate you. It is not. They are trying to get you to attend some timeshare style presentation at the other resort. So, just know the spa and even the 1 week return for a fraction of what you paid are not because you are appreciated but because they have something to sell. I think it would be much nicer if they told you this from the beginning rather than send all the "come see the concierge" junk to your room.
All said, it was a wonderful experience. My children enjoyed everything from the kiddie pool to the french fries and my husband and I truly relaxed.

Room Tip: The swimup suites are extra nice if you have little ones!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank GoGlobal79
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

By far one of my favorite places, ever! The atmosphere, food, people, and service are great. Its so relaxing with a splash of fun. Perfect for any ages! From day one, my first time there, it was awesome. Hans and his team are always taking care of us and giving us everything we need! No greater service or treatment anywhere, they are always putting the guests first and meeting every need to make sure our time is pleasant, relaxing, and most of all enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashton M
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Gotta say I love this hotel. The hotel is very well maintained. My wife and I loved the rooms and the private swim up pool was a real treat.
The staff was very nice, particularly the entertainment staff. They made sure we were left alone when we wanted privacy and entertained when we wanted to exercise or to laugh. Many thanks to Jaime and Pilar for keeping us on our toes . The night shows were comparable to Vegas style shows. So full of life and very well orchestrated.
We even enjoyed the bar at night just listening to music and having a drink.
The food too is worth mentioning because we ate quite well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris005
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is our 4th holiday to the Azul Beach and once more we were bowled over by the experience.
Where will I start, Hans the concierge is always on hand to assist and sort out any problems quickly and efficiently, Ernesto and his team of staff served us deliciously prepared gourmet meals and the bar staff were always on hand to serve cocktails, tequila etc. On th beach Joan and Israel looked after our every whim and as it was my birthday while we were there even presented me with a cake and champagne on the beach. Reveka and Armando looked after all our needs whilst we relaxed in our cabana and during gourmet lunches and dinners we were served by the ever smiling Ruben and the ever efficient Antonio. I cannot mention every member of staff but suffice it to say that everyone goes the extra mile to ensure you holiday is a memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Frank H
Northampton
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Read a few less than positive reviews before we left home and as this is our 5th annual visit was intrigued as to what we would find.
Have to say the hotel is better than ever :-)
The redevelopment has created more space but not so big as to feel lost, it is still cosy and relaxed.
The new rooms are fantastic and the restaurants are very enjoyable, especially the Latino.
Best part of the hotel though is the staff, they are all happy and helpful - to name a few, Hans and his concierge team are always on hand to sort stuff, Ernesto and his restaurant team provide fab food every time and the beach staff including Revecca and Armando keep you relaxed all day.
In short if you want a break with absolute relaxation I can not recommend, having visited a few others, a better caribean hotel :-)

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Limpey
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have traveled all over the world before starting our family. We now have a 7 month old son and still wanted to travel. Our travel agent recommended the Azul Beach Resort. We have been to Mexico 2 other times and have been to several all inclusives, but they were always adults only. I can not tell you how wonderful our vacation was at Azul Beach!!! The resort is beautiful, the food was great but the staff made it a great experience!!! They thought of everything that we would need traveling with an infant--stroller, baby monitor, crib, tub with changing station, bottle sterilizer, and all of the gerber baby food that our son could eat!!! All of the restaurants were family friendly. We were hesitant taking him to a restaurant, but most of the travelers had infants as well. We usually get very embarrassed when he makes loud noises, but the staff made us feel at home. They had a booster seat ready for him with toys to keep him occupied. But one of the waiters, David, would walk our son around the restaurant when he did not want to sit any more so that we could enjoy our dinner. It was truly a wonderful experience. They also had a play room with a great staff and a ton of fisher price toys. They also allowed you to have some of the toys in the room. We already want to plan our next trip there. You can have a really nice resort with a nice room with good food, but it is the people that truly make it. The resort was GREAT, the food was GREAT, but the team really made it a perfect vacation. They made it easy to travel with a small child. We are looking forward to going back next year.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with an infant, look to get a swim up family suite because you can swim at the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,989 reviews
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!