“Very good but could be great”

Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Very good but could be great”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

This was our third trip to a Karisma resort and our second stay at the Azul Beach. We first stayed with our newborn six years ago and returned with both of our girls and their grandmother. It is a real multi-generational property: couples, large and small families with kids of all ages and grandparents.

We stayed in the new section and the rooms were fantastic. However, we got a look into the original rooms and they look very long in the tooth since our last visit. They need to be refreshed and unfortunately the hotel has not gotten around to this yet.

Traveling with kids the resort is an easy fifteen minute ride from the airport. Check in is easy and the champagne and fresh washcloths are a nice touch.

The food is fantastic and is one of the reasons that we choose to stay at Karisma resorts. The new restaurants are a great addition and comparable to some better restaurants we have been to in Toronto. The tequila bar is a very cool element of the hotel and a pre dinner stop for us sans the kids. Go for "tres genaraciones" straight up or a mango margarita with don julio. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. Big shout out to Joan and Israel, our beach butlers.

We spent most of our time on the beach. It is not a long stretch of sand and therefore not the best walk. However, the water was crystal clear. The hotel next door (Desire) makes for an interesting walk as it is clothing optional. Watching out of shape old men and women play nude volleyball was incredibly gross but entertaining at the same time. We came to the conclusion that some nudist should just be forced to wear clothes.

One of our main constructive criticisms is that the service is so inconsistent. If they nailed this down the hotel could be great. For example, we were asked for our pillow and aroma therapy preferences upon checkin and these were ignored. The calls from the room for water and a step stool were ignored and several of the calls were not picked up by front desk and housekeeping. One day cool face towels and snack food would be served on the beach and the other day nothing. The program they handed out at the start of the week was meaningless. They advertised a fresh fish market one day and paella the next and nothing materialized. The inconsistencies make an otherwise great hotel feel a little sloppy.

We would return to a Karisma property again and hope they really pay attention to our criticisms so that they could make a good hotel a great one.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank tommyandvicky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Polish first
ontario
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Azul beach was pretty awesome! we had one of the older rooms and they are nothing spectacular- the bathrooms are very small and the tv was one of those thosh. chunky old ones. The beach had a lot of chairs so we really didnt have problems getting shade and chairs every day but the beach beds need to be booked the day before so we didnt try those out. although the beach was pretty narrow it was still great. the food was really good, breakfest was the usual, the egg station was outstanding. lunch was good at chill ,blue, and the snack bar. dinner was good all around, blue had lobster that was included but the portions didnt contain much of it. itilian, spanish and chill were really great! the staff are AMAZING, they always come to you and ask if you needed anything and you could see that they worked really hard to make your stay a good one! and the teqilla bar was well thought out, my parents went once and they were the only ones in it and when ever we walked by there wasnt anyone inside. The shows were for younger kids and the ones we went to were not very good at all. the hotel also doesnt have any good deals with the golf courses, i think they wanted 200 each for plya car and 150 for a twilight 9 hole rate, so we didnt go. overall Azul beach is really relaxing and a great place to go for vacation!:)

Room Tip: I would definatley go for the newer rooms! I think the extra money is worth it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I traveled alone with my 5-yr old son and a couple of friends. We are European (Swedish). The staff really makes this hotel. Ruben in the main restaurant. Sergio and Hans on the beach staff deserve a special mention though I have to say all of the staff were wonderful. We never had to wait in any restaurant. Room service took 20 minutes. I agree with other reviewers that the food would not be classified as Gourmet, though it was the best of any all-inclusive resort I'd been to. The intention is there but if you have expectations to reach levels of a 5-star metropolitan restaurant you may find it falls short.

We stayed in a swim up jaccuzi suite and it was lovely. Huge. Reminded me a bit of the rooms at The Address in Dubai. Definetely top of the line. I would return to this hotel as I like smaller properties and felt I received what I paid for. The other guests, minus a large Russian group, were pleasant co-travelers and we enjoyed meeting and chatting with the people that we did.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank tsfoxen
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed with 5 friends for one week from Jan 12-19th. I've only been home one night and I miss the new friends I made there already. And I don't mean the other guests. I mean the staff!!!!! They work incredibly hard, are genuinly kind and go above and beyond to make your stay the perfect getaway. I just have, HAVE to name the people who left an impression on me. Hats off to the fabulous boys at the beach who get you whatever you need, organize the sports and activities and make you feel like you never want to leave.... Seriously these guys are incredible!!!! I looked for them everyday. I miss you guys already!!!

German, my love, who was my merengue dance partner and played horshoes with me.
Javier the vollyball rockstar!
Joan in the beach hut who takes care of your beach needs like no other.
Jay C, (Mike The Situation lol)
The beautiful Lorena, who gave a fabulous meassage.... She's a gem!
Armando was our favorite beach butler. What a guy. Always a smile.

Two bartenders, Oscar and little Jorge (LOVE YOU GUYS!!) were so much fun and great at what they do. They make the best shots you"ll ever have called bumblebees. Oscars tastes like neopolitan ice cream. I cant say which one i liked better. Both are equally fantastic. These guys went above and beyond for us. They always remember your name and what you like to drink. On my last morning at breakfast, which has a buffet area, a server was so sweet and carried my plate for me. So gentleman-like. Not a big thing, but that was what this place was like. The little things were important. Even the maids, every single one, would always smile and say Hola when you passed.

The food, mmm mmmm. All of it tasted soooooo good. Lovely presention. The dinners were fabulous. Wish I had 2 weeks to eat my way thru the entire menu at La Roma, Latino and the Tainan. LOL. Cause you'll def wanna go back. The sandwiches at the Snack Hut, chicken caesar my fav, were excellent. We just kept getting the nachos everyday... comes with fresh guacamole, tomotoes & onions and chili with cheese sauce.

The Michael Jackson show was awesome. A crew comes in one night a week. ( Ive been to one at another resort where they sub in 2 different Michaels to give them a break between songs. Not a big deal, but one was really tall and the other short. Totally stood out.) Not this crew. They did them all, so entertaining. The back up crew were so in sync. Got to take a photo on stage with them.

The beach beds are definietly worth it. The beach hut opens at 8am to make reservations for the follwing day. Simple. Just check in at the beach hut the next day before 10 am and Joan will walk you to your bed and set it up with fresh towels for you. You can go eat, or be gone for a day trip and its still yours. I went at ten to 8 one morning and there were only 3 people in front of me to book for the next day. No biggie. You can ask for a specific location, some are swinging, or near the dock. There was also lots of beach chairs if you didnt reserve a bed. Quite a bit of seaweed would wash up but the crew works really hard to clean it up. That didnt really bother me since I like the pool better. And I loved just sitting by the water listening to the waves. The sand was raked every morning.

We were in building 6. Room 607. faced the pool bar area, and semi beach view. Upper level. It was not one of the new reno'd rooms, but it was still nice. A Superior room, clean and well stocked. The room service was prompt and accurate. They would come with a basket and set it out on the table for you. Loved their caesar salad.

The only thing I wish Azul Beach had was one designated bar (Tequila bar would be perfect because its air conditioned and enclosed) where they could make it a bit like a nightclub atmosphere with some dance music. Just down the path is their sister resort, Sensatori, which I heard on the last day had a club. A bit of a walk for sure, or a shuttle/cab ride there. But it's ok, we got our chance to dance on the beach just after the Mayan show, cause they played some pumpin' music then.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. This is a beautiful, relaxed, perfect-sized resort (totally awesome for families from what I saw) I didn't want to leave so I guess I'll just have to return! :D It was my 1st time to Cancun and it made a lasting impression on me. I dont think I could ever return to the regular resorts again. Boutique Gourmet All inclusive is the only way to go. Big thanks to Paula Adams from Marlin Travel in Oakville who organized this whole thing for me and my friends. She's the best!

Love to all my friends at Azul. Miss you and see you soon!!

CHRISTINA FROM CANADA XOXO

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Christina S
Scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Fantastic hotel and complex, lovely and relaxing, we were a bit worried travelling with our young son but needn't have worried, the food was superb, even for him they were so accommodating, we loved the food there, this is a very intimate family resort, not loud or trashy and was perfect for people with young families,
We upgraded to honeymoon suite as soon as we got there and it was well worth the extra 1000usd for 2 weeks, the suite was beautiful and gave our son so much more room to crawl about and explore, in fact the suite is one of nicest rooms we have every stayed in, lovely sepeate living room and big free standing bath tub amd showers room,

It was reasonably quiet when we were there which was perfect, never had to wait for a table anywhere, the staff serving drinks around pool area and beach were superb, so friendly and loved spending time with our wee boy, the beds on the beach were also great for relaxing as well.

All in all I doubt there is a better resort to go to with young kids if you like your nice food and still like to relax in beautiful surroundings.

Would definetly go back here, hopefully this year

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank CelticBhoy81
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Our decision to go to another Karisma property was based upon on our stay in 2010 at the El Dorado Royal. We were so impressed we just had to try another Karisma property. After 10 years of taking holidays in Mexico, we've found what we believe, may be the best. We just returned from a 1 week stay at the Azul Beach Hotel. Upon arrival we were placed in the older section of the hotel, clean, nice room, great location to the pools/beach, but on the old side. (These older rooms are scheduled to be renovated this year) After talking with the front desk we took an upgrade to one of the new suites. Beautiful swim up room... wow

We had a couple minor issues, which were handled promptly and professional and eventually settled into block 9, suite 903. The room was excellent, more than what we ever expected. Have a look at some of the pictures people are posting. I’ll try to get my pictures up soon.

This resort has approximately 142 rooms, which for the Riviera Mayan is on the small side. Don’t let the size fool you! It has lots of pools, bars and 5, that’s right, five, A La Carte Restaurants, no reservations are required!
As far as the porperty, if we wanted to be in the action it was easy to find, but better yet, if we wanted peace and quiet, it was just steps away. It's a great place for couples, Families and Weddings.

The property had asked us ¾ of the way through our stay what we would like to see as far as improvements, I left them dumbfounded. With a little more time, the only thing I can come up with has to do with the beach. On the beach they have those big wonderful beds. To enjoy one, you must line up at 8:00am to be able to reserve one for use the next day. It’s nice, but I find these beds take way to much space on the beach. I would rather see an improvement in the lounger quality they currently have and either more palapa’s (umbrella type, fixed location) or have access to umbrella’s which can be moved.

Now for my favorite part of our trip:
Karisma Resorts has defined themselves as being “Gourmet Inclusive” and I make a living working within the Foodservice Industry, trust me when I say, this is the best food found on a resort property in the Riviera Mayan. I was so impressed I sought out to meet the Chef.

I want to take the time to thank Executive Chef, Luis Zaragoza and his team for their commitment to culinary excellence. Chef Luis, though Karisma have raised the bar for all hoteliers within the Riviera Maya.

To the whole team at the Azul Beach Hotel, thank you so much for making our holiday that much better, we'll be back!

Room Tip: Talk with the desk upon arrival if you want an upgrade, ask for Danielle, she was amazing! New room...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank djgood
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2012

First all-inclusive destination vacation. Attended family wedding, approximately 30 people of all ages. Very nice spot to have a wedding. Very nice, well-kept, clean resort. Very much enjoyed the small layout resort feel.

Only three of the five restaurants were open at the time, Latino and Asian were closed for renovation (?). I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast (optional) and Chill the most. The food, I thought, was great. I really enjoyed the beef tenderloin, so much so, I ordered it I think 3 times for dinner during my week. The service was awesome, all of the staff seemed really nice.

Our room was one of the older rooms (305). Bottom floor, corner, facing the kids pool and ocean. It was decent, however, after seeing the newer rooms, wished we upgraded to a new one. They were very nice. Didn't really enjoy the fact that our room was across from the construction going on in the old part - even though I was up at 6am or 7 am most mornings, I found I still woke up to hammering. As well, they seemed to work rather late as well. I enjoyed a little siesta in the later afternoon and found it a little difficult with the construction. Also, was a little disappointed that the gym was closed do to the construction. The hotel offered a cab to go to Azul Sensatori (5 mins away max). Which I thought was thoughtful.

The pools were a good size for the size of the resort. I don't think they were ever crowded. However, one pool I enjoyed to lay around was designated "adults only" which I thought was great, however, most times this was not abided by.

The beach was okay. Seaweed was a bit of an issue but usually cleaned up by the afternoon. I think this had a lot to do with the storm earlier in the month. The beach was not very big. We would walk along the beach most days past the resort, one way you will pass a nude beach (not as great as one might think) then rocks. The other way eventually it gets too rough to walk. So long walks on the beach aren't that long.

My family seemed to own the beach volleyball court which was great. However, sand fleas seemed to be a bit of an issue by the second day. Most of my family had bites all up their legs. Nothing serious, just not that great to look at.

A group of us went off resort to sightsee through our travel agent. We went to Tulum and Xu Hel which was amazing. One of the best parts of my trip. A little history and a lot of cool snorkeling. There was a lack of entertainment at the resort in my view.

There was a group of us that really wished there was more to do at night. The activities in the theatre were okay, however, only lasted until around 9pm or 10pm. Most of us after would head outside by the pool bar and drink. This bar was only open until 11pm. I think the tequila lounge would have been waaay better if then played a top 40 list or something. Most of the time it was just filled with people our age (20s-late 30s) who wanted something to do and listen to some good tunes. Maybe dance a little. But they had this standard beachy music which was always loud. We asked to change it (as there was only my group in there at the time) but then said no. To go anywhere with nightlife you had to go off the resort. Quite a few of us found the evenings boring and ended up going to bed earlier than we would have liked.

I, personally, wouldn't return to Azul Beach Resort. Not because it wasn't nice or because of the service, I wouldn't return because, for my age (24), there isn't really much this resort offers. I also noticed the teenagers in my group were bored. I would have liked more entertainment and things to do. However, if you are older, have kids, or enjoy kids around, this resort is for you. I think most people with small children would really enjoy this resort. I know there are a few in my group that want to return. As this resort isn't for me, I think this resort caters to many types of familes and they would definately like Azul Beach.

Room Tip: I would try to get a newer room if possible. However, if you end up getting an older room, I would...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!