“Villa Xa'An was an exquisite introduction to...”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Villa XaAn

Main Bedroom Bath
Laundry Room
Pool Bath
Pool Bath
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 59 reviews

Reviews from our community

Suzanne B
Madison, Wisconsin
“Villa Xa'An was an exquisite introduction to Mexico and a lovely, private retreat.”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 for a stay in June 2014
people found this review helpful

Villa Xa’An is a lovely house and Rick spoiled us from the moment we arrived until we left! This was my family’s first trip to Mexico and we can’t wait to go back.

The house is lovely, comfortable, clean, well-equipped and very well tended by Rick. The photos almost do it justice -- it is more comfortable than it looks. The kitchen is very well equipped; however, with so many good restaurants nearby we did not take full advantage of it. We did make full use of the filtered water and ice that flow through the refrigerator. We brought back fruit and avocados from the market and never had a guacamole-free day. The back yard pool is fantastic and very private! The middle of June is hot and we all jumped in multiple times during the day. My younger daughter loved swimming at night with the pool lights on. In the living room there is a very large television which is connected to Netflix. My older children and I are movie buffs and Mexican Netflix has more movies to stream than we have in the States which we enjoyed.

Puerto Morelos is a lovely little town. There are plenty of tourist resources but it is much quieter than the bigger resort towns which was a relief to us. It was actually necessary to use Spanish some of the time. We found the people of Puerto Morelos to be friendly and kind, and after a few days of walking around, we were greeted as if we had moved in. The beaches to the north of the town proper are wide and clean. There were pickup volleyball games and massages. We sampled two wonderful fish restaurants where you can plant your feet in sand as you nibble at the day’s catch. Puerto Morelos is close to the major resort towns and we could easily travel between towns on buses or by taxis. Taxis are plentiful and economical for short jumps to and from the center of town and also for excursions. Rick gave us the numbers of two drivers that we used frequently. We hired one of them for our day trip to Tulum, the ceynotes and Playa del Carmen. He was excellent and we had a lovely, busy and relaxed day.

And then there is Rick! Lots of vacation rentals could have all that I’ve described but wouldn’t have Rick as the host. Rick is kind and gracious and pays impeccable attention to lots of small details. He arranged our transportation from the airport and was there to greet us when we arrived. He has a wealth of information about what there is to do and where to eat and play. He helped us arrange for a dolphin swim when the website was not working and our phone connection was bad. He came to clean the pool every day and always engaged me in conversation about our plans and offered whatever help he could. It did not take long for us to trust his recommendations which were always spot on.

My family had a wonderful, restful and exciting vacation at Villa Xa’An and we are hoping to return next spring.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I loved the small beach town away from the craziness of the big resorts.
Liked least: Absolutely nothing.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
preziam
Pennsylvania
“Exceeded My High Expectations”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

The first thing I will start with is everything you have read here is true! This place is that nice and Rick is that helpful. The pictures don't lie and if anything are understated. I noticed on another reviewers pic's that the walls were looking dirty. No worries, Rick had them all repainted and they looked bright and amazing. We were a family of 4 with a 12 and a 14 year old. While we have been to the area many times before all of our prior visits were in resorts. We didn't miss it. We would still return to a resort but we really liked this too. Here are some things I was unclear on before our trip that I will clarify:

1) The water system is not the fridge filter. The fridge line is fed by a pump with full size water jugs for ice and drinking. The system is fantastic.
2) There is a house phone that can be used no charge for calls to the US (not sure for others).
3) Rick gives you a local cell phone with a lot of useful numbers loaded.
4) There is a nice MAC workstation and wireless printer.
5) There is a washer and dryer (picture only shows washer).
6) There is a true outside shower.
7) The outside bathroom is really nice and is its own room. We thought it was part of the laundry room.
8) Rick provides full bottles of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotions for all bathrooms,
9) Rick provides all of your paper towels and toilet paper.
10) Rick provides dish cleaning (hand or dishwasher) and laundry detergent.
11) Rick provides basic kitchen needs like coffee, sugar, sweet and low, spices, and trash bags.
12) There are many appliances like juicers, 1 cup or pot coffee, blender, and any kind of utensil, pot or pan you could need.

I have never rented a home in PM before but I have rented many. None have ever provided even close to this much and I did not mention the stuff I know he lists.

Staying in La Colonia is really cool too. Food is so cheap and so good! Tons of places for groceries if you want to cook but we never did. Tacos for 10 pesos or less, qdillas for 13 or 15 pesos, sopas for 15 pesos, whole barb chickens for 80 or 90 pesos with a stack of tortillas, bag of rice, bag of beans, and bags of salsa. One night the kids wanted pizza and we got two for 1 and it was 80 pesos. A bag with like 10 churos for 25 pesos. All of it was delicious and better than meals I paid a lot more for. There was nice fruit market we hit and there is a meat market and a true butcher close by. There is a bakery with great doughnuts close by too but funny hours there. There is a seafood market we never went in but it is close.

We felt 100% safe walking all over as well as in the villa. The villa is actually a compound. 10ft walls with a 3ft electric fence on top surround the entire unit. The villa also has a video door bell system and steel doors. Knowing it was all there felt good but I never felt concerned anyway. The street Rick's house is on is very nice and in the villas section. People were kind to us everywhere. You could get to a taxi stand easily, call one from Rick's cell or just walk out a short way and flag one down if you wanted to go to town. 25 pesos each way. You can take the collectivo for 5 pesos but with 4 people it didn't make sense.

Our first few days we ate in restaurants over on the beach side at least once a day. After that, we just ate at the house meals purchased in La Colonia. It was awesome! There are two sit down restaurants very close to the villa. Cafe Fonda Americana (ate there once) and La Luna something (never ate there but would have). Closer to the La Colonia square (10 minute walk) there are more sit down places but we didn't get to any.

As stated by all Rick will do anything for you. He takes so much pride in keeping things at his villa perfect. He is former manager for the Karisma resort chain so he gets service. He is always looking for ways to improve although I am not sure there is much room to.

I cant imaging there is a better home to rent on this side of town. For anyone concerned we paid Rick 100% of the money 4 months in advance via Paypal. I would do it again in a minute.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the villa or area if you want to PM me. You can find me on the PM forum page on the right under PREZIAM. I am a destination expert for Puerto Morelos. I learned a whole lot more this trip. Go and have fun.

Liked best: The Villa
Liked least: WIFI at the pool is sketchy
Traveling group: Extended Family
WI
Reviewed April 10, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

People with disabilities Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 10, 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

People with disabilities Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
NY
Reviewed April 3, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Carson M
Portland, Oregon
“Rick Fernandez and Villa Xa'an exceeded my expectations in every way”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

I just returned from a week long stay in Puerto Morelos where my friends and I stayed in Villa Xa'an. The owner and caretaker of the property, Rick Fernandez, really did exceed our expectations in every way. He is a fabulous host and took such good care of us while we were there.

Before our arrival Rick asked if we would like any groceries or supplies in the house and we were welcomed with a chilled bottle of wine, a refrigerator full of goodies, and all we needed for poolside margaritas for the week . Rick was at the house every morning to skim the pool and clean and water the beautiful yard. He was also always available for questions and helpful travel information. RIck even took the time to investigate bicycle rentals for us before we came and went so far as to visit the bike rental facility to make sure it was safe and reputable before recommending it. Rick also arranged for us to be picked up from the airport and returned safely at the end of our trip.

The house was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and equipped with any and every convenience we could have asked for including a VIOS phone for local calls, a computer and printer, internet access, a flat screen TV with Netflix, a kitchen stocked with appliances and utensils, and even hair dryers! We always had clean towels and purified water (and ice!). All this, and I haven't even mentioned how fabulous the pool was.

We all had a wonderful vacation in Puerto Morelos and we owe so much of that to Rick's hospitality and professionalism. The moment we left, my friends and I were already planning our trip for next year. I wholeheartedly would recommend Puerto Morelos and especially Villa Xa'an to any of my friends. Thanks Rick!

Liked best: The pool and Rick
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
belisler
Portland, Oregon
“Immaculate house, spectacular host, amazing city.”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Rick is an incredibly hard working, generous and hospitable host -- the best we have ever encountered (and the best we probably ever will). My friends and I could not believe how far Rick was willing to go to ensure our comfort in his rental home and in Puerto Morelos. He made time to follow up with different vendors in town to make certain they were reputable and trustworthy. He set up our airport transfer, giving detailed directions to the house in Spanish that we could not have provided. Groceries, sunscreen, bug spray and precious margarita ingredients were purchased ahead of time for us, so the house was stocked full with whatever we needed (we just had to reimburse him upon arrival). The local cell phone and VOI phone provided were priceless additions as well. We used the cell for calling our taxi and contacting Rick for help. Two of our travelers actually lost their debit cards (what luck!) during day trips and the VOI phone was awesome to call the banks from. Rick came to the house every morning of our stay to skim the pool and tend to the yard and answer any questions we had for our daily outing, etc. It was always awesome seeing his smiling face greet us in the morning!

The house -- it's amazing. The photos here give you a great idea of what it's like, but they still don't do it justice. It's spotless, modern, comfortable and stocked to the brim with everything you could possibly need in terms of utensils, comfort, technology and security. The pool was the best thing to come home to at night to either dip your aching feet in or go for a cooling swim. Villa Xa'An is in the colonia, the non-touristy part of town, which made it ideal for us. We were able to get a feel for how the real residents of Puerto Morelos live, rather than knocking shoulders with other tourists of the playa area all week. But, of course, we wanted easy access to the beach, too, so we rented bikes and easily rode those back and forth (10 minutes each way on bike).

I cannot describe in appropriate words how amazing this house is and how spectacular a job Rick does. He is a top-notch expert in hospitality and just a wonderful human to have met. Our group is already talking about how soon we can get back to this place and rent from him again. We fell in love with Puerto Morelos here, and perhaps with Rick, too! :)

Mil gracias, Rick! You are one of a kind! Our experience in Puerto was so amazing and so much of it is thanks to you. You blew our minds with your hospitality and generosity and the beautiful home you work so hard to keep up.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Rick, the pool, the location
Liked least: Not a thing -- everything is amazing here!
Traveling group: Friends
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing