“Not to be missed!”
Review of El Nicho

El Nicho
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: el Nicho is a beautiful place to spend a leasurely brunch. It is across from the park and has a peak-a-boo view of the ocean. The room is full of lovely sites and sounds from beautifully presented food, to great music. The walls feature artwork from local artists and the service is top notch.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have to say that I travelled all around the world but I never thought that I would find such a gem in a small fishing village of Puerto Morelos. I am very picky about food but I was totally blown away by the quality, quantity and service I experienced in El Nicho. The owners, Maureen and Pablo are the nicest people you can imagine and they would truly go the extra mile to grant any of your wishes. The food is simple but sophisticated at the same time, the ingredients are fresh and carefully selected and overall everything tastes delicious and divine. The place is also decorated with the beautiful artwork of the local artists, which I find a great idea. If you have a passion for quality food in a warm, family like atmosphere, look no further, this is the place to go. Thank You El Nicho for the remarkable experience.

3  Thank Karanga888
There are newer reviews for El Nicho

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We went scuba diving and then [obviously] needed lunch. Had read the reviews on TA and planned in advance to try El Nicho - we were not overall disappointed.

The specialty of the house being different types of eggs Benedict, I had Benny Palta [eggs Benedict with avocado, grilled tomatoes and bacon] and Te de Rojo [an infusion of hibiscus, cranberries and other goodies]. The hollandaise was extremely good - especially as I find it impossible to make, and in contrast to other reviews here, I actually prefer mine lemony. The bacon was perfectly cooked, the eggs nice and runny in the middle, and I always appreciate a grilled tomato. The tea was delicious and at the end make sure you eat the fruit bits out of the bottom of the glass [not the hibiscus blossoms necessarily]. FYI - hibiscus [Jamaica] drinks are common in Mexico. They are quite refreshing and should not be missed. Being "herbal" i.e. not made from leaves of the tea plant, there is no caffeine or tea flavor, so even "non-tea drinkers" may like it.

The Mr had chicken fajitas and lemonade with chia seeds [lemonada con chia]. The fajitas were perfectly fine just not spectacular in flavor, but the lemonade with the chia seeds was delicious! He had never had 1. chia seeds in a drink or 2. hollandaise sauce and enjoyed both immensely. [Yes, chia as in "ch-ch-ch-chia".]

We also had a fresh fruit plate. If I'm identifying my fruit correctly, there were slices of papaya, mango, cantaloupe, and maybe pear or was it guyabano... All the fruit was delicious, but it all had a slight flavor of onion like it had been sliced with a knife that had been used to chop and onion and not washed in between. It wasn't enough to make us complain or not eat the fruit, but the flavor was there.

$260MXN + $30MXN tip for everything.

Overall a pleasant experience and a must try!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We read the reviews and put this restaurant on our list for breakfast. My husband ordered the el nicho omelet and I ordered the eggs benedictw/ bacon. I had coffee-which was good and strong and husband ordered the "red tea". The tea came with pieces of cranberries and some sort of flower. The bad part is that the "stuff" took up so much room in the drink that there wasn't much drink-no free refills. the omelet was a bit undercooked-too runny. The taste was like any other omelet we have ever had. Nothing too "special". The eggs benedict was alright, the sauce was a little sour. Maybe it is just not our kind of food.

2  Thank Meander48
Mo and Pablo E, Owner at El Nicho, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for your honest review. At el Nicho we pride ourselves on going above and beyond customers expectations and Im sorry that we fell short with you. We take all of your comments seriously and strive to grow from them. Im sorry that your omelette was under cooked. If you had brought it to your servers attention we would have been happy to make you a new one. As for the "te Rojo"(red tea) I believe you are right. If the bartender puts too many hibiscus flowers and cranberries and ice, there isnt much room for the tea. I have addressed this issue with my staff and we will be more carefull to make sure all the "goodies" dont take over the drink. As for our hollandaise sauce, Im sorry you found it "sour". We use lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice, and I admit it is on the citrusy side. Most of our customers like it this way, but I agree that it isnt for everyone. If you find yourselves back in Puerto Morelos, please give el Nicho another opportunity to wow you.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

No trip to Puerto Morelos would be complete without at least a Breakfast and Lunch at el Nicho! Pablo has set a wonderful pace and high bar for others to climb up to! It is the best! We first met him when he was the chef at the Cooking School, and enjoyed his lessons. He has really exceeded what we could expect with El Nicho, which deserves to be # 1!!! Glad he is open 7 days a week now! Well Done, Pablo! Don't miss it on your next visit!

2  Thank Lsgesq
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Rated as the Number # restaurant on TA is quite an achievement especially when it's a relatively new establishment. It's owned and operated by a Canadian Mexican couple who came to Puerto Morelos 2 years ago and stayed.

I had heard great reviews about the Eggs Benedict and even though we rarely go out for breakfast we decided to see if all the positive comments were warranted. They were. We chose the Benny Palta consisting of tomato, avocado, crispy bacon with cilantro mojo. It was delicious and then some! The service was both friendly and efficient with smiles all around.

A few days later we were there for lunch. (It closes at 2 o'clock each day.) This time we chose the Ensalada Espinaca, a tortilla crusted goat cheese salad with sliced almonds and hibiscus flower dressing ... a wonderful choice and a great combination of flavours.

On another visit we sampled their Chipotle Orange BBQ Ribs. This was served with mashed potatoes and a lovely Asian coleslaw. It was a generous serving but we savoured each bite until it had completely disappeared! Fabulous!

El Nichos doesn't serve alcoholic beverages but does make great fresh squeezed juices and lovely iced teas. I really enjoyed their black tea with lemon. This small restaurant on the town square more than deserves its excellent ratings.

Would we return? You bet!

4  Thank HomedicMunes