“Great local restaurant”

La Playita
Ranked #16 of 139 Restaurants in Puerto Morelos
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by one of the local guys selling snorkeling tours. It was a great little place on the beach, nice and breezy. They bring out 2 sorts of dips, one was fish and the other was beans, both good. We had the fried snapper-it was great! Served with corn tortillas and all the sides, it was more than my husband and I could eat. 2 beers, shrimp cocktail, and an entire fried red snapper for $22, you can't beat that!

2  Thank oktravelfam
There are newer reviews for La Playita

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Locals told us about this hidden gem. The fresh caught fish changes daily and runs out early. Get it fried. It is light and barely breaded. We are health nuts and we felt this was a fantastic meal. Our beautiful servers small son climbed a coconut tree to pick one fresh for us. It was cut open and a straw inserted for the BEST coconut water for FREE! Great customer service! Great price!!

1  Thank HeidiMcParker
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

After spending a few hours snorkeling in puerto moreales we tried finding this restaurant, which was recommended by our concierge and a local from the dive shop. It's perfect for those who want a local, beacfront ,casual restaurant. How heavenly it is to have your toes on the sand, drinking a cold beer and eating great cerviche. I'm sorry we didn't order the whole fried fish, which looked amazing. May have to go back next year just to try it!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We ventured down to La Playita in January while staying nearby in Puerto Morelos. One of the waiters at our hotel recommended the restaurant to us...stating that he and his family go there all of the time. We, of course, had to try it if a local swore by it!!!

La Playita is a little beach side restaurant with minimal umph...plastic chairs, mis matched tables, etc. However, this is what makes this place so charming. The day we were there, there was a live musician singing and playing instruments. We opted to sit at one of the few seats at the bar. The bartender/waiter behind the bar was a young guy and was very new. We are American, but are able to speak a few words of Spanish...this guy could not understand us to save his life. I mean...even "agua" with a slight Chicago accent was enough to send this kid into a deer in the headlights sort of state. His coworkers found it hysterical and harrassed him the entire time we were there....hilarious! All of the other workers seemed to speak English well so, in the end, we were able to order without issue.

The waiter from our hotel highly recommended the ceviche so we started with that. OMG, no joke, THE BEST ceviche I have ever eaten!!! It was served on a huge plate to share with chips to scoop it up in. I got pretty full off of this ceviche and we had to take a break before ordering entrees. While waiting to find more room, we were brought out some baby shark to try. I was slightly repulsed at the thought of it, but decided to put a dab on my tongue anyway. My husBAND ended up having to fight me for the rest of it because I found it so delicious!!!

Entree time came and I was still too stuffed. My husBAND however, settled on a fish taco of sorts. He said it was the best he has had.

We spent about 2.5 hours there just drinking and eating and our total bill with a generous tip only came to $42.00. Insanely cheap! I guess I should mention that we were drinking liquor and soda and not beer. Like I said, insanely cheap!!!

We will absolutely return and will suggest La Playita to anyone we know traveling to the area!!!

Oh...let me mention that I have Crohn's disease...so, I know all too well about digestive issues and Mexico. This place left me with absolutely no issues. The food is EXTREMELY fresh and quite clean for the type of place that it is.

3  Thank Mandinkadell
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I eat here every time we are in Pomo. We either walk up the beach at lunch and have cerviche and guacomole or come for dinner. This is definitely not a tourist place. There are usually locals enjoying a good time with friends and may be singing along with the strolling musicians.