“First of Many, Many More”

Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort
Toledo, Ohio
“First of Many, Many More”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having never been to any hotel / resort like this, we didn't know quite what to expect, other than reading the others' reviews. To say that we were pleasantly surprised would be the understatement of the century. First off, the place is CLEAN; ridiculously so. The check-in process was very informative. Service is first class (think Four Seasons). The grounds are lush and tropical. The food at Pearl (their signature dinner restaurant) was delicious. The fish tasted so fresh, we were convinced it was pulled out of the ocean upon our order. Top shelf spirits lined the shelves at all of the bars. The bartenders (especially Jose) would have your drink waiting as you walked up to the bar, before you even ordered it (after the first day, mind you). The pool is huge, with swim up bar. One of our favorite areas was the hot tub; it was like cocktail hour in the afternoon / early evening and a very intimate environment late a night.
Is there nudity all over? Yes (except in the dining areas and lobby, which isn't a bad thing). Is the sex over-the-top, in your face? Not really, unless you go to the hot tub; and even there, subtlety rules. The whole place exudes a seductive erotic sensuality (without being trashy or skanky) that we've never experienced before. As another reviewer put it, "Welcome to you new addiction." With open arms, my friend, with open arms.

11 Thank Cheopps
Alessio G, Director General at Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the amazing review you kindly shared.
We are all absolutely delighted to have provided you with a true Desire Pearl experience.

It is a great pleasure to read how you much you enjoyed our service, the food, the grounds and above all the sensual ambience.
Thank you again for all your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First, I want to say that I am fully aware of the effects of a honeymoon on ones ability to think anything but positive thoughts. That said, this is my second marriage and at 48 I consider myself to be fairly pragmatic and well traveled so I come at this with a fairly level head I think.

Desire Pearl is a 2 year work in progress thus far, however what they have accomplished in that process is something I'd consider remarkable. They have managed to turn a 4 star property into a 6 star experience. By hiring 5 star+ level executive chefs, paying attention to the right details, training a world class pool/beach/foodservice staff on all the right details of service and customer experience, they've dramatically overcome some of the minor flaws of the resort as it stands currently.

Positives:

- A fabulous staff of friendly, enthusiastic, fun, and knowledgeable people from all over the world!
- A huge infinity style pool, with bar, right next to the beach and only feet from the ocean!
- Plenty of deck chairs, pool beds, beach towels, etc.
- A massive hot tub and bar.
- Outstanding Menus at both restaurants, with revolving offerings prepared by a crack executive kitchen.
-Gorgeous and well kept grounds.
-Beautiful Spa with all the amenities and an attentive staff.
-Large Rooms that all face the ocean and beach.
-Palm trees and beautiful plantings everywhere.
-Great shows at night, with dancing, hot-tubbing, swimming, and more!
-The resort is small enough to traverse in less than 5 minutes, but big enough to never feel crowded, even when full.
-Did I mention the staff?

The Challenges:

- The weight room is not good... but they have plans to remodel, thankfully!
- Need one more restaurant... again, it's in the works but seating was never an issue and we never needed reservations.
- Rooms were always clean, but could use some updating.
- The music in the disco was repetitive... same mix almost every night. If I never hear "Pitbull" again, it would be ok! One or two nights is fine, but every night?

That's it! We had a magical, exciting, erotic, fun, sensual honeymoon. What more could we hope for. We'll be back!!!

Please note, this is a couples only, clothing optional resort where PDA, nudity, and other shenanigans are on display. Go with your eyes wide open, relax and you will have a blast!!!

13 Thank Kevin400
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My husband and I just returned yesterday and I am already missing my Bloody Mary that I had after my morning workout and just prior to breakfast! My husband purposely did not tell me where we were going due to the fact that he knew I would be nervous. We have been married 24 years and still go out and have fun but have never been to a resort like Pearl. From the moment we arrived I felt comfortable, there is no pressure to do anything. Sometimes I sunbathed topless and sometimes with my bikini on. My husband stayed dressed the whole time. We tended to stay at the quiet side of the pool and had a lovely bed on the beach. Had really nice bar tenders and the wait staff was pretty busy poolside and beachside so often the husband would just go get drinks. He also had fun talking to the bartenders and they were always entertaining and fun to chat with and made great drinks.

We had a penthouse suite and this was so lovely. The sea views were incredible. We had our own wonderful huge hot tub so we did venture down to the main hot tub- maybe next time! The suite came with our own butler and the 2 we met were nice but could have been more attentive. We had requested ice refreshed automatically 3 times a day and this was done only about half the time. Just a few other minor mixups happened but nothing major.

The spa was lovely- we had hot stone massages as a couple. A pedicure and a facial. All very relaxing and the spa was very clean and well maintained. Did not try out any sensual massages or the more provocative ones offered. The husband and I are just not quite into that lifestyle

The gym is small and very basic but it was fine for getting in my daily workout . We had fun playing the different activities on the beach, Beach volleyball was a super workout especially when playing 2 man volleyball.

Food was mostly good. We live in Dallas area and are used to fine dining and although the food is fresh but for us it isn't quite as amazing as others reviewed it to be. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and all the selections of food available. We tend to eat very healthy and this was easily done and they were anxious to please us and could make anything we requested . The wait staff was wonderful in both Aphrodite and Pearl. Can't say enough about the lovely service and attitude of the staff- just wonderful!

Nightlife- we went to the "disco" 2 nights of 4. We had a fun time dancing and people watching. Little loud but it is a bar scene . I wore some great dresses but felt overdressed and most women were in more lingerie type outfits. No worries though. Maybe next time I will reveal a little more but again no pressure was felt and we had a great time.

Pictures- we had a couple photo shoot. We did the more sensual pictures- not really into the erotica pictures. Fabian was our photographer and also his boss (can't remember his name). After a couple of tequila shots I relaxed and they were very helpful and once again no pressure to do anything. We shot in the penthouse, on the pier and at the beach. The pictures are beautiful. Even though I no longer have the body of a twenty year old, they did a great job of making my 47 year old body look great. This was well worth the time and money.

Overall had a great time! Will definitely be back and stay in a penthouse suite again. The penthouse was worth every penny just for the amazing views.

7 Thank Melanie K
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have been long time visitors to Hidden Beach Resort but have heard about Pearl and decided to give it a try at the start of our latest trip to Mexico. What a pleasant surprise! While it is not fair to compare Pearl with Hidden because they try to appeal to different clientele, there is some overlap and significant differences in the properties. Pearl is newer (the resort, not the property per se). The rooms are larger, better equipped, and more comfortable. The Pearl beach is real sand and much larger with better chairs and more beds. The pool is prettier as well. The food is better at Pearl but they only offer two restaurants. Pearl's nicer restaurant changes its menu often but Hidden lets you use the El Dorado Seaside restaurants which are numerous and quite good, too. The crowd at Pearl is younger and more into partying but not to the level of public sexual activity of Desire. Hidden's average age seems to go up with every visit and the evening activities after 9 pm are almost non-existent. The Pearl hot tub is fantastic and the evening entertainment is first class with really fun activity coordinators and a busy disco. The downside of Pearl for some may be the sexual side but they make an effort to keep it limited to a few areas and mainly people are discrete and not pushy or "in your face." Real hard-core lifestyle people are probably happier at the original Desire. Unfortunately the beach at Pearl has a public access so it is a bit like Club Orient with the "stollers" eyes on a swivel but you are much less likely to see a neighbor from a cruise ship than at C.O.! The staff at both places are very friendly and helpful. No real difference there. Basically if you are older (over 50 at least), more of a naturist, don't like evening entertainment or care to get on a real sand beach, Hidden is more for you. If you aren't into the "lifestyle" but don't mind some sexual activity, like a younger though still adult crowd (i.e. not frat party, ages mostly 25-60), you should give Pearl a chance. I'm glad we did (and bought into their Premier Program after 3 days which is a good deal if you plan to come back more than a few times.. talk to Daniel for the details)

Room Tip: if you can afford the Penthouse or are offered an upgrade, give it a try. The perks are great and t...
5 Thank Ancientroad
Alessio G, Director General at Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your very kind words following your recent stay at Desire Pearl Resort & Spa.
I am delighted to read that you seemed to have enjoyed greatly the quality of the service you received from all the staff members, as well as the quality of the food in our restaurants.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

New York City
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was our second vacation at Desire Pearl. We were last there in January 2013. When we arrived our room was not ready, but the wait was short. While we waited we got an update on the resort and then went out to the pool. There were chaises available so we relaxed until our room was ready. Carlos our butler showed us to our room and asked if there was anything else he could do for us. We requested coffee from room service at 7:30 every morning and softer pillows. The pillows arrived quickly and the coffee was delivered punctually the following mornings during our stay. Our ocean view room was spacious and comfortably appointed. Everything was in working order except there is a window shade that did not work. It was old and dirty and needed to be replaced. Also the lampshades needed replacing. Other than that, the room was very clean. My wife liked the lighted vanity mirror. The air conditioning worked well but was very noisy. The first few nights we were aware of it, but after a few days it didn't bother us. We tended to leave the fan in the on position so it wasn't so jarring when it cycled on. There is a mini fridge in the room that is kept stocked with water, soda and beer. It kept things cool, but not icy cold. The rooms are nice and spacious, but, as I mentioned they are not as updated as competitive resorts.

In the late afternoons many people go to the huge Jacuzzi hot tub. The temperature was perfect. There is a bar at the edge of the Jacuzzi and service was excellent. The music however is nothing less than annoying. It's not music it's an incessant electronic beat. Management purports that it is designed to foster more conversation among guests. We disagree; there is really no reason to not have real music there.

There are two restaurants: Aphrodite and Pearl. Aphrodite was renovated and redecorated this past year. They have removed the outside dining, and the walls are now floor to ceiling glass and extend to the roofline. They did a marvelous job with it. It is crisp and clean looking during the day and elegant in the evening. Aphrodite is the only place for breakfast and lunch and is the evening dining room where more casual attire is acceptable.

The Pearl restaurant remains the most elegant dining experience. The dress code for men is collared shirts, long pants and closed shoes. (More about this later). The first night we had carpaccio and the beef was tender and flavorful, the salad needed a bit more dressing but the greens were fresh and crisp. My wife had the chicken which was well seasoned on a bed of sage scented couscous. I had the duck which was tender and perfectly cooked. I had intended to write more about the individual dishes, but trust me, it’s all gourmet delicious.

Our waiter the first night, and one other night at Pearl, was Andres. He was very attentive and personable. He was always there when we needed something and he spoke excellent English. Because we attempt to speak some Spanish he willingly helped us with our language. On our second night at Pearl Restaurant we discovered that Christian - the waiter who treated us so well the previous year, was still there. He instantly remembered us and welcomed us with smiles and hugs. Our dinner was equally excellent that second night and we told him so. He brought out Chef Eduardo, the head chef at the Pearl Restaurant - so we could tell him directly. Eduardo had only been there two months and had come from the Gourmet-Inclusive, Karisma Hotel resort chain. He was genuinely pleased that we enjoyed his cooking. At the end of our meal Christian told us Chef Eduardo would like to cook us a special meal. Who would say no to that! So when we returned the following night we were presented with Chef Eduardo’s creations. His cooking is really, really amazing - and with Christian’s extraordinary service we felt like royalty. We ate there 6 nights in total and each and every night the food and service was extraordinary. We live in New York City and are accustomed to fine dining in some of the best restaurants. Our dining experience was exceptional at Pearl and rivaled dining in New York City. During our stay we had the opportunity to be introduced to the Executive Chef of the whole resort, Chef Carlos. Carlos was very pleased to hear how much we liked the food at all the resort restaurants.

We love to dress up for an elegant dinner. Pearl Restaurant is one of the only places (in the world?) that a man can take his lady out to dinner and she can dress sexy and provocatively. Although men, in my opinion, look silly in sexy clothes, they can be attractive wearing the long pants, collared shirts and closed shoes Pearl requires in their dress code. However, my enjoyment is diminished when I go into the dining room and see men in tee shirts and sandals. On three nights there were men in the dining room with tee shirts. If they have rules, they should enforce them.

After dinner we usually listened to music in the lobby. Some nights there was a DJ for an hour or so and some nights there was a band. The bands were always good, but the music the DJ played was often not great. I always offer one simple word of guidance to DJs, if the guests aren’t dancing – change the music. Also, regarding the disco, DJs usually wear headphones. They need to take them off to check on the volume. Sometimes, particularly in the disco it is head-splitting. So loud people don’t stay there.

Breakfast and lunch is served in the Aphrodite restaurant. The breakfast and lunch food was excellent and abundant. The breakfast and lunch buffet is amazing. I didn’t measure it, but it’s probably over 20 feet long and has an extraordinary assortment. However, for breakfast, it does not have some of the typical things like scrambled eggs and omelets. We discovered, as there is no breakfast menu that if you want something other than what is at the buffet you have to know what you want and ask for it. That’s fine, but it would be helpful if the waiters greeted guests, invited them to the buffet, and told us if we want an omelet or something not there, it can be ordered from them. Service the first morning and at lunch was not good.
We let them know of our experience, and on the second day, and every day after the service was excellent – but it should not have happened in the first place. Almost every breakfast and lunch we were served by either Rudy or Leon. Both provided excellent service. We liked that Rudy, in particular, remembered our preferences.

The first day, because we are Premier members, we had reserved chaises at the pool. They were waiting for us as promised. The pool concierges Victor and Jared do an excellent job. Jared checked in with us often to open, close or move our umbrella. Both Eve and Faby served us at the pool and they were great. They came around often and we never had to wait for our drinks. And, they remembered what we were drinking.

The pool seems unheated which is fine when the air is warm, and it's sunny. But it's really bracing on cooler days. One day there was a foam party at 2 pm. A machine blows out so much foam over the pool it becomes nearly impossible to see the people in the water. It was a fun experience. We love the pool area because it is hourglass shaped. One end has all the fun and games activity and music and the opposite end is quiet. Well not completely quiet, because you still hear stuff from the other end, but it is more than acceptable.

We sit at the quiet end of the pool and don’t really interact with the entertainment people. But, the entertainment people, seemed good. Watching Dina dance in the lobby at night was a joy and her manner of interacting with the guests was charming.

Carlos, the butler, is extraordinary. Every time we turned around he was there inquiring if we needed anything. And when we did request something, it happened immediately. I don’t know how he does it, but he seems to be everywhere checking on his Premier guests.

The third evening we ate at Aphrodite. Our dinner there too was delicious and the service by Roman was very good and he described each dish he brought to us. We particularly liked that there was live music during dinner. That night it was Argentinian music that had a lot of Italian influence. Several nights a week there is live music in Aphrodite and we found some people dined there just for that.

WiFi was pretty good, but a bit spotty. Some WiFi was password protected and some was not. We think all should be password protected and the password changed regularly. (While we were there we learned the whole system was being replaced that week.) It appears that WiFi is not available on the beach. I rather liked that, as I felt it made it a bit more secure. It wasn’t an inconvenience to walk 25 feet towards the pool to get reception. There was good cellular service on the beach though.

The physical facility improves with each visit. They’ve done a lot of painting of buildings. There is a walled garden or perhaps it was a plant nursery, that really needs help. Also, we wish they would eliminate the pond and fountain adjacent to the lobby. It is in the center of the resort and very visible. Although it doesn’t smell, it is always brown and dirty looking. We hoped the water was clean, because when it is windy it sprays on you when you walk by. It adds nothing to the aesthetics of the resort. It should be filled in and used as a common area to relax and have conversation.

The beach is soft sand and there are lots of palapas for shade. The water is very swimmable. There are lots of lounge chairs on the beach. Because the resort is so close to Puerto Morelos you do get some “looky-loos” checking out the nudity at the beach, but there is a guard to keep them from coming into the pool area.

Although there are “no fumar”, no smoking signs in many of the common areas, it is not enforced. I suspect some staff don’t want to offend the smoking guests by telling them they can’t smoke in those areas. We non-smokers find it offensive – particularly the cigar smoke.

In addition to this being a clothing optional resort it attracts lifestyle people and exhibitionists. Some areas of the resort are definitely sexually charged. However, the resort maintains a strict policy of conduct in that "no" means "no". We've never felt, not heard of anyone feeling threatened.

The guest services manager, Gloria, is new. We had occasion to speak with her and we walked away with the feeling that she was very committed to the guests, open to suggestions and wanted to make Pearl the very best experience.

Several years ago we bought into their timeshare program. Called Premier. It gives us a 25% discount on the room rates Premier members and their guest also get free room service, a personal butler, reserved pool or beach lounges, two free 25 minute massages, a free lobster dinner and free round trip car service from the airport. We are permitted to resell our extra weeks and pass along our discounts and benefits. We sell on the internet and elsewhere. Because we do this, we feel a particular responsibility for insuring that we and other guests have the best possible experience at the resort. The resort is very responsive to their guests, whether Premier members or others. If you like something tell them. If you have a problem or see that something needs improvement, also let them know. They are diligently working to receive your 5 star rating on TripAdvisor. If I can answer any questions about Pearl, please write me and I will respond as quickly as possible.

Finally, although Desire Pearl is all-inclusive and tipping is not required, I would encourage you to tip the staffs members that provide good service to you. We usually tip along the way. A few staff people we tip at the end. The staff never expects a tip and they don’t even linger or even pause in their movement to give you the time to tip. You’ll always have to stop them to give them the tip. And, when you do, they respond like it is the first time they have ever been given a tip. They are very grateful and we know it means a lot to them financially.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have great views of the water.
12 Thank JJHill-NYC
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We just got back from three nights at Desire Pearl. We went back and forth as to whether we should stay at Rivera Maya or Pearl and I am so glad that we selected Pearl. The surroundings are much more comfortable. We are a young(ish) couple. I'm 39 and my girlfriend is 26. We are younger than the average guests. But not by a lot. We read a lot about how old the resort guests are and apart from the first day, we didn't see that. Most of the customers were quite young and good looking. It was an amazingly sexy experience.

We felt that the formal restaurant was way too "foo-foo" for our taste and preferred the other restaurant. Service was unbelievably good. The hot tub is surely the best in the world and the pool is nothing short of amazing. We had been to the Cabo Desires before. But preferred Pearl on so many levels. We walked to Rivera Maya one day (don't even think of walking. take a taxi) and stayed there through the hot tub cocktails. RM is a great vibe. But I really feel like Pearl is a resort suited to people who are more discerning. For those who are looking for a fun hook-up, that's fine at either place.

Wifi needs to be upgraded to five star standards. But otherwise I can't say enough good things about this wonderful resort. We will be back at least twice a year.

Room Tip: There is a quiet side and a party side. But nothing would ever be considered noisy. We preferred a g...
7 Thank JandQ2014
Alessio G, Director General at Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the amazing review you kindly shared.

It is a great pleasure to read how you much you enjoyed our surroundings and the ambience.
As concerns the wifi issue we are right now installing new antennas in order to improve the signal.
Thank you again for all your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Brighton, Colorado
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were looking for a place to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We wanted a small, All Adult, All Inclusive, clothing optional place right on the beach and going on a recommendation from friends, we chose Desire Pearl.

This was our first time traveling to Mexico and staying at a Resort, so we weren't sure what to expect. But within seconds of arriving at Pearl we were greeted with a glass of champagne and seated for a swift check-in process. When we told them it was our first time staying at Pearl and we were there to celebrate our 25th anniversary we were upgraded from an Ocean View to a Jr. Suite room without hesitation. We were instantly amazed and delighted with this hospitality of this place.

The room was clean, spacious & comfortable and it had all the extra amenities so didn't need to pack them. (Hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, soap & lotions, Coffee maker, refrigerator with soda, water & beer.. all included with your stay and refilled as needed). They did have Room service if you wanted at a small charge. Best of all we could walk out the sliding glass door onto our own little patio by the pool, which had a small table and chairs and our own couples lounger and at night it was cool enough to leave the door open a bit and listen to the waves..

They had a list of daily day and night activities, which were fun and you weren't forced to participate in them. Clothing optional around the pool and beach area, so got a good all over tan while there.

For our anniversary night we took advantage of their “Romantic Dinner by the Sea”. This was held out at the end of the pier. You chose your meal when making the reservation and there is just 1 waiter serving you. He was courteous and didn't hover while you were eating… We started with a glass of champagne and had a choice of Red or White wine to go with our meal, the food was delicious and the setting spectacular. What an AWESOME way to celebrate our special day!!

I have to say this was the BEST vacation we have ever had. I’m horrible with remembering names but ALL of the staff was very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make you feel at home and to ensure you were enjoying your stay. The resort was small, but beautiful and clean. We will definitely be going back and be more prepared for the nightly themes.

Room Tip: We stayed in Seahorse 1034, which was a corner Jr. Suite right by the pool. There is a small porch w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ann J
Alessio G, Director General at Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time of writing such detailed review regarding your recent stay at Desire Pearl Resort & Spa.
I'm really glad you enjoyed your 25th anniversary celebration in our pier.
Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests’ expectations at all times and it is with great pleasure I read we continue to accomplish this goal day by day.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back home to our Resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort? Share your experiences!