“A Wonderful Place with Great Staff”

Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort
Newmarket, Canada
“A Wonderful Place with Great Staff”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We just returned from Desire Pearl and it was wonderful. It is a wonderful resort but it was the staff that really make the place. With two restaurants running, you could always find something you wanted to try. Carlos (head chef) was fantastic and really wanted you pleased. The front desk and maid staff were fantastic as well. It is always easy to say bar staff is good but they were attentive and knew you by name and were always willing to make something special for you or get you something. We are already planning our trip back.

With that said, this is an adult resort for couples. We loved the relaxed and open atmosphere but if you are not comfortable with nudity, this may not be the place for you - although, I can only say, try it, you might like it - no we are not swingers or hard core nudists but soaking up the sun naked or skinny dipping in the ocean is so refreshing and unless you try it, you will never know. The hot tub can be hot for a number of reasons ;^) and we enjoyed that very much as well (some much more than us ;^)). If you are thinking that the place is full of models or swingers, it is not and everyone is respectful of each other. We found there are all types and found everyone very friendly.

Our suggestions are to bring water shoes (as some parts of the beach just at the waterline are a bit rocky but this turns to sand in a few feet), bring good sun screen because the place is wonderful for just lounging and relaxing (and mosquito repellant is a good idea for your ankles at night near the beach). Go, relax and enjoy the sun and adult atmosphere!

Room Tip: It can be noisy at night near the hot tub. If you like to party all night, an excellent location. If...
11 Thank SunFunTravel2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Toronto
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We had a great holiday! The rooms at Desire Pearl are more upscale than the older Desire RM property. Bed was comfortable; we turned off the A/C and enjoyed the sounds of the ocean for our entire stay. The resort is quaint with only 88 rooms. Grounds are well maintained and the pool area is almost twice as large to the RM property. It was nice to have a swim up bar for social R&R. Pool side drink service was a bit slower than Desire RM but we managed to cope (it was tough, note the sarcasm) with trips back into the pool to cool off. The hot tub again is twice as large as the Desire RM with varied levels, seating and a nice swim up bar. Far superior and four beds around the hot tub area for those who wished to use them. Not as many dinner choices with only two restaurants but the buffet menu changed nightly to provide some variety. The restaurant staff were very accommodating (Rudy, Angel to mention a few ) and if there wasn’t something on the menu you could order whatever you want. We found the entertainment staff (Gloria, Rachel Charlie, Omar Javier, Roco) engaging and friendly. Nightly activities consisted of bands and some dancers before the disco opened. Disco music seems to be the same at both properties consisting of mostly techno beat with little thought to guest demographics. We still had a great time none the less as it is what you make of it. Missed the outside lobby bar at the RM – great for social gathering prior to dinner. Certainly an opportunity for the same at Pearl if the garden fountain area was renovated. No Cognac at any bar (even for purchase) which was a disappointment when enjoying my Cuban cigars however scotch was available. Overall, not the same vibe at the Pearl and bumped guests from Temptations didn’t help in this area. Would we return, absolutely! Maybe we will break up our stay between both properties next time around - party at the RM, relax at the Pearl. Sorry we had to leave.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a ocean view.
5 Thank irwanless
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have stayed at the other Desire several times. The rooms at Pearl are much nicer. That is about the only area that Pearl wins. We very much enjoy the poolside games and activities. The entertainment staff at Pearl is friendly, but not as energetic as at Desire. It seemed it was often had to get participation in the adult games. Paloma and Chino are both gone from Pearl, big loses there. The poolside drink service is not what I would expect at a resort of this level. You can get top shelf liquor at Pearl, when you can get served. Sylvia at Desire does not let your glass get empty before she has a new drink to you, without asking. At Pearl we often had to get our own drinks. The restaurants at Pearl need some work. I would say at Desire we were rarely dissappointed with the meals. The nightly buffet at Desire is also very good. Not so at Pearl. One night we were there, the fine dining restaurant at Pearl was restricted to outside seating only due to the owner having a dinner party taking all the indoor seating. That night the show was also held up an hour to give his guests a chance to finish their desserts and drinks. I suppose being the owner has it's perks. However, at $400-500 a night minimum per room, I believe the owner has forgotten that his paying guests are the ones that make the resort happen. We were very dissappointed to be treated poorly for what we were paying for that night. I will say the nightly entertainment was good, on even keel with Desire. The biggest difference is the lady guests did not dress as sexy and revealing at dinner or in the evening as they do at Desire. All in all, we will put up with a smaller room at the original Desire rather than all the other negatives at Pearl. We are not picky people, but do expect more from an upscale resort.

7 Thank Dennis R
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was one our best vacations ever! We had one of the less expensive rooms but it was on the ground floor and the patio was 20 feet away from the pool deck. The size of the room was perfect for my wife and me. The bed slept really well but the pillows were a little bit too fat. The food was very tasty with variety each day. Special thanks to our waiters, "G" and Roger. The drinks were always available and if you asked, they would make them with top shelf liquors. Omar, Rachael, and Roco made pool games and activities exciting and fun everyday. Everything was very tasteful except at the jacuzzi around 6:00 pm. If you don't want to see it, just do something else during that time... Personally, my wife and I aren't swingers but a little voyeurism adds spice to the vacation. We about cried when we had to pack up and leave. Thank you all the staff at Desire Pearl.

Room Tip: We had room #35. ground floor and patio right on pool deck. It was easy to walk back to room for mor...
5 Thank Jungle_and_Brendasue
toronto
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Just a short note as others have covered details so well, our trip Nov 21 -26th. Primarily, the staff deserve accolades for their efforts, friendliness and enthusiasm! They are everything you have read about in this forum and more. The resort itself is beautiful, clean and a whole lot of fun. Guests ranged in age from 30's to 60's, some fit, some not, all friendly and respectfull.
We met lots of people and made quick friends, small enough resort to recognise most people, or big enough to be on your own if desired.
The mix of people, some swingers, some couples only, and many inbetween makes for a great dynamic and party atmoshere especially late afternoon - evening and into the early morning!
We really enjoyed participating in the nightly dress up themes, from purchasing outfits at home, to getting dressed up for dinner :-) to the social gatherings at the end of the evening in the largest most amazing hot tub we have ever seen.
The spa is very nice, enjoyed the couples massage very much, highly recommend it. We plan to return in the very near future.
We had visited this resort prior to the new Desire ownership and felt we had discovered a real gem, we can honestly say it has gotten better, and stands above its competition in this "style" of vacation. They truly have merged sexy - classy - fun into one destination, and although it is not for everyone, I think many people would be pleasantly suprised on arrival.
Wont get into the details of how much nudity or public sex in this venue, but if that conerns you and/or is the tipping point on your decision to go, anyone with an open mind would not be shocked.
Cant finish without mentioning the music, heard general comments about how bad it was, dont understand them because we thought it was great. Morning calm sexy tunes, afternoon loud and crazy for the "fun" poolside games, and great dance/house mixes in the disco - well done!
PM me if you need any more details of have questions

Room Tip: ground floor, walk out sliding door to pool in 5 seconds, room was quiet and dark for the 4 hours of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank sandtravels
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Desire Pearl… in a word, AWESOME!
You will read many reviews here and find that there are some very persnickety people who report the lack of service or amenities. This is either not true or has been fixed.
I grew up as the son of a meeting planner who had his butt kissed by Ritz Carlton’s, Hyatt’s etc. for his budget money from a large pharmaceutical company, so I know hotels. While the property is not brand new, it is among the best that I have ever been to. Obviously, it does not have the amenities of a Ritz Carlton due to its size but aside from that, it is every bit as pleasurable to attend at a quarter of the price.
Service was literally impeccable! Not one person walked past us that didn’t acknowledge us and say ‘Hola’ throughout our stay. If our server wasn’t around, another server happily took care of us. Our names were never forgotten after the second day. Every need was met promptly and with a big smile and a ‘thank you.’
Check in with Enif was a pleasure. She is beautiful outside as well as inside. I miss her daily hugs and wish her the best. Then our bags were brought to our room by Anselmo who happily carried our 5 heavy bags to the third floor without losing his smile. (We went to Florida for a visit with the religious parents the week prior. Whole new set of clothes!) He then showed us all around our master suite. Both of these people were an excellent first impression for our first Desire trip.
Many food & bar servers (Graciano, Roger, Madrid, David & Rene to be specific) waited on us and all of them remembered us daily never allowing us to lift a finger unless we wanted to. While we don’t remember all their names, I personally commend all of them who waited on us!!! The head server, Victor, was the hardest working, most dedicated manager I have ever seen. I was in food service for 7 years and both he and the servers were spirited and fantastic, never missing a beat! Victor, as well as the five mentioned, are truly assets to Desire.
The resort itself has an old Mexican charm. It was very tidy, clean and up to date. The pool was outstanding and, while some people complained of it being to cool, I appreciated the refreshing temperature after basking in the sun or playing beach volleyball. The Jacuzzi is HUGE and at just the right temperature. The beach is narrow but well maintained. People are walking by clothed but it never seemed to phase anyone that there was nudity. In fact, the only time I saw someone stare was when they were looking at Raquel, Gloria and Paloma (entertainment crew) in their thong bikinis!
Speaking of the Entertainment Crew, BRAVO! They were very fun, actually had fun and interesting games, looked hot as hell and never failed to disappoint. I personally want to say a huge ‘I miss you’ to Gloria. (We had a little something between us I think! LOL ;)
We partook in the Sensual Massage and it was excellent. My wife was a little apprehensive but we both really enjoyed it! I don’t remember their names, but the masseuses were very professional and definitely knew how to turn us on for each other. My one complaint about this was that, while advertised as a 50 minute massage, they only massaged us for about 30-35 min and then left us alone for the rest of the time. The spa afterward and the new friends we met there were splendid. Be sure to spend some time hitting all the steam rooms and Jacuzzi after your massage!
Nightly entertainment was, well, very entertaining! I won’t go into all of them but suffice it to say, you would be disappointed if you didn’t go each night.
Theme nights were fun as heck! We are huge costume people and tried to outdo ourselves every night. Trust me when I tell you that these nights are what you make of them! My bride even won the best leg contest giving her the Queen of Pearl title for the week!
Okay… the nitty gritty on the PDA thing. We are soft swingers at best and my wife was very apprehensive about the public thing. It was no big deal, in fact, everyone for the most part ignored watching the action on the beds. The afternoon would be a little more in your face due to sunlight, but there is little activity during the day and you can’t see the beds well at night. If you don’t want to see PDA, however, you are going to the wrong resort. A similar resort in Jamaica allows PDA to happen pretty much anywhere and everywhere while Desire, it is only allowed in the Jacuzzi and the playroom.
We were never flat out asked to swing. People got the jist that we were very selective and even then, we only like to play soft. We never felt any pressure or were uncomfortable. If you are worried about going because of the swinging thing, don’t be. Also, if you are worried about the naked thing, several ladies had their bikinis on, my wife rarely lost her thong and I had on boxer brief suits on 50% of the time. None of us got any kind of grief.
Security was almost freaky it was so effective. I watched a group of people walk towards the pool and I knew they weren’t part of Pearl. They were met at the entrance to the pool and escorted off the Pearl Beach. They weren’t causing a problem but they did not belong there and were promptly removed. Also, we went down to the beach late one night for some ‘cuddling’ and were literally illuminated by two ‘search lights’ coming from the towers at either end of the beach. (We hid behind a beach chair LOL)
Pearl is not to be missed. We are forming a ‘group’ to go next year on the last week of November. If you are interested in going, let me know!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Twofunnewfs709
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our 5th visit to Desire, first at the new Pearl. We were met by the entertainment staff as we pulled up in our transfer with a wild, hilarious presentation (great first impression) headed by CHINO from Temptation Cancun. We were checked in within 10 minutes and headed to our Master Suite near the big hot tub. Since we wanted a quiet location, I asked EDGAR at the front desk for a room location change. He immediately changed our room to #84 at the other end of the resort,,,,,,,,QUIET, QUIET morning, noon & night.

During our stay, I suffered an injury on our second night that required medical attention the next morning. The front desk staff called a doctor & he was there within an hour!! He came to our room and stitched me up, as well as any emergency room doctor in the USA would have done. Over the next 3 days most of staff knew who I was & that I had suffered the injury and constantly asked me how I was doing and if there was anything they could do for me. Anyone that has doubts about medical care in Mexico, no worries!!!

The service throughout the resort was fantastic from the maids up to the general manager of the resort. Some of the employees that should be singled out are: DAVID (bartender), EDGAR (front desk staff), CHINO & RACHEL (entertainment staff) and mostly the resort's general manager, ALESSIO GIRLBALDI. I know I am probably forgeting somebody........SORRY but they were all FANTASTIC!!

We are not lifestyle people, just like to get naked!! However, we were there during a lifestyle takeover week & at no time were we made to feel uncomfortable or out of place. In fact, we met several people from the group and made new friends.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet location, ask for a room away from the large hot tub. Our room was #85 and we d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
Grand Residences Riviera Cancun
#1 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Desire Riviera Maya Pearl Resort? Share your experiences!