“Ready to Retire to Uncle Hugo's”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Morelos
Uncle Hugo's Reef Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Puerto Morelos B&B and Inns
Alameda, California
“Ready to Retire to Uncle Hugo's”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 10 days with a couple of friends at Uncle Hugo's last month. I agree with reviewer Jim K that it's the best way to experience the "real Mexico". Uncle Hugo's is just outside of Cancun, in peaceful Puerto Morelos. We stayed in the two upstairs rooms, both clean and comfy, with appliances and utensils for eating in. There's a deck with hammocks and hammock chairs to relax and take in the amazing ocean and moonlight views. It's located right across the road from the beach, and convenient to attractions like snorkeling and cabanas, but set back from the main drag.

The town is teeming with great restaurants and friendly people. Michael, the manager at Uncle Hugo's, is like a walking travel guide - he knows the town and people so well (not only the attractions, but the history and culture), and was so kind to help us plan some of our excursions. We used our rooms as our home base, making a few day or overnight trips to visit ruins and cenotes in nearby towns, but always looked forward to returning to Uncle Hugo's to relax and unwind. I understand now why people go to the same place year after year for vacation. We look forward to returning to Uncle Hugo's.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Alexandra R

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Civitanova Marche, Italy
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Like i said this is the best place to stay in Puerto Morelos, the location is front beach and the rooms are huge, very clean, with wifi, kitchen, table and sofa. Big terrace to relax in hammock and very friendly people! Micheal has become a very good friend from the first day we met each other and he'll make you feel like in your home! If i'll go back in Puerto Morelos (and i hope so because is a very beautiful place) for sure i'll go back at Uncle Hugo's Reef Inn!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tass80
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at Uncle.Hugo's for several months. It's not a Hilton but far exceeds the fancy hotel environment. It is a small quaint place with a million-dollar view of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! Just far away from Cancun this little fishing village offers a sense of peace and serenity I have never felt before... love this town with no stoplights. However, it offers excellent food and good entertainment. Very safe...I didn't even lock my doors at night. Bring your laptop (so you can make your friends back home jealous) it has free wi-fi and cable TV with some English channels. I now live in Thailand but really miss Puerto the beach and the easy to meet friends that I still stay in contact with. And... the best part is the price!

Room Tip: Check out their websight it has some photos.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank jim k
Brainerd, Minnesota
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Having never been to Mexico before, I really had no idea what to expect. Frankly, I was 100% open to anything. A quick drive from the airport and we arrived on the front porch at Uncle Hugo's. We were promptly greeted with the smiling face of the caretaker. He brought our luggage up to our room and showed us around. I was immediately infatuated with the place. Everything from the brilliant colors, the inviting hammocks, the comfortable decor, the beautiful tiles, the clean room and the refrigerator were captivating.

We immediately changed out of our traveling clothes (having come from Minnesota, we were totally over clothed) and into beach attire. Yes, we went straight to the beach across the street. The smooth white sand and brilliant blue water were too much to ignore. From that moment on, I knew I had found a little piece of paradise. How could we not be seduced by the experience with a coconut tree within reach?

The fresh ocean breeze wafting in through the open windows with the curtain's billowing and the soft yet spectacular sunrise beaming in made it truly difficult to arise from the comfy bed. Everyday, we enjoyed morning coffee and later libations on the terrace. It is a short walk to the Town Square, shopping, and big public beach area. Not to mention all of the amazing places to eat — a true test to any girl's diet. Just throw that out the window and experience everything Puerto Morelos has to offer.

Michael, the caretaker, made certain we always had everything we needed from towels to fresh water. He was a plethora of information and suggestions, but always made sure we made our own decisions. He was extremely kind and helpful.

We enjoyed our stay at Uncle Hugo's so much that we called the airline in an attempt to change our return flight. Alas, it was not cost effective to do so. So we vowed we will return ASAP.

Thank you Michael for everything! And to Boyd and Linda for such a wonderful place. We will be back soon. Uncle Hugo's is the only place we want to stay when in Puerto Morelos.

Gracias. Nos veremos otra vez. (I hope that is correct. I am just learning Spanish.)
Thank you. We will see you again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends