“we loved staying at the now sapphire”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Camrose, Canada
“we loved staying at the now sapphire”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We loved our stay at the Now Sapphire the resort was beautiful. We stayed as preferred club members. Our room looked on to the ocean we had a magnificent veiw.

The preferred club beach area was wonderful, Ivan always looked after us our drinks were never empty and we always had dry towels. Everyone should try their mango tangos and their pina colodas they were delicious!

The food was awesome! I suggest trying all of them, the food was wonderful right from the Marketplace for breakfast to the Japenese restaurant for supper.

The resort was always so neat and tidy and the staff were all so nice. The preferred pool was awesome a little cold but awesome. It was always quiet there and there was always a chair to be had.

The resort was only 20 minutes from Cancun so it didn't take long to get there, but it was along ways from Tulum and Xel Ha. It's a long day if you go to these places.

I loved the preferred lounge it was always cool in there and the service was great. We used the internet to stay in contact with friend and family. They were very accomodating.

Thank you Now Sapphire for making our holiday the best ever. I will definitely recommend your resort to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RR2011
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on your time at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun. I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us and that you were particularly happy with Preferred Club and the the staff service, especially from Ivan. I will share your comments with the hotel staff and Ivan as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Cancun, and thank for your recommendation.

E Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,361)
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The now sapphire hotel is an execellent resort to visit with friends or family (although I would personally consider it more of an adult resort)...the food was great, the service was top notch and the entertainment kept me moving all day long! I will definitely go back, maybe even this year!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Sir /Madam,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Calgary
Reviewed February 6, 2011

This is our 6th all inclusive, 4th time to Mexico. We are in our early 30's with no kids. Now that you know everything about us, I'll move onto the review...

The first thing I will say is that had we not upgraded to preferred club, I believe the vacation would have been significantly different. Not to say it would have been terrible, but I think the little extras that come along with preferred club changed our vacation and made it alot better.

Room: The resort has a dozen or so buildings with 5 oceanfront. Preferred club oceanfront at this resort is worth it. The buildings are VERY close to the beach and with our main floor room, we could walk off the balcony and within 5 feet, be on the beach. At first, I did not want to be on the main floor, however, being able to quickly go back to the room to grab something, go to the bathroom, etc, made it very convenient. The room had a king bed, large shower with bench, jacuzzi on the deck and upgraded mini bar. I was worried about privacy being on the main floor, but this resort is pretty tame at night, so sitting in the jacuzzi after dark was no problem. Also, no matter what floor you are on, the way the rooms are staggered, the rooms next to you can see onto your balcony.

Beach: There were issues every day about not enough palapas and we did see a lot of people going out very early to reserve their chairs. As part of the preferred club, you have a beach concierge (Ivan was AMAZING!!!). You let him know you would like to have a palapa reserved and he will reserve one for you. Ivan and I got along great and he was able to get us a palapa directly outside of our room for the entire stay. The preferred club palapas are nearest to the beach bar and we rarely had to go to the bar as Ivan or the bar staff came around to take our drink orders. To those that have not upgraded, be careful to not put your towels on the chairs of the preferred club spots as we noticed several people being removed from the spots around 9:00. and believe me, by 9:00 there are no palapas left. It would probably ruin my day if I got up really early, walked all the way to the beach to claim a spot only to find out later that it was a reserved spot and now have nowhere to lay down....

Preferred Pool: At this time of year, the wind can be an issue in Mexico. In the mornings it tends to be calm and as the day progresses, the wind can pick up. On the beach, there is obviously no block from the wind so although it may be sunny, it's not that hot. The preferred pool is VERY sheltered with beautiful foliage/trees. It is also very quiet and usually was not busy at all. We would head to the preferred pool when the wind would pick up and find a nice quiet spot by the pool. Because of the lack of wind, it would instantly feel 10-15 degrees celcius warmer. They removed loud groups of partiers twice from the preferred pool so if you are a with a loud group, tipping will get you nowhere, you will be asked to go to the main pool. This is a quiet spot to avoid the noise of the beach or main pool. They come around with exotic fruit, wraps, treats, etc as well. Lastly, the preferred pool is still cold but with the lack of wind, we found ourselves getting really hot and enjoying the cool down of the pool.

Food: I won't say much, the food is above average and there is enough restaurants to satisfy a week-long stay. You can go the the Now Jade resort for dinner as well and they have MUCH nicer restaurants. We went to the French at the Now Jade and it was incredible! You only have to pay for transport and it was about 20$ each way by taxi. It's a 45 minute walk along the beach if you don't want to cab it.

Overall: I think if I had to walk to the beach 15 minutes each way from my room, HOPE for a palapa, put up with the wind, stare at trees from my balcony, etc, it would have been a typical Mexican vacation. With preferred club, most of those worries are removed, so when something negative did happen, it was the ONLY negative thing rather than YET ANOTHER negative thing. This went a long way for us and we really enjoyed our vacation!

Hope this helps.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank thelazyadventurer
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. I will address your observations to the Operations staff.

Regarding your comment about Preferred Club and Deluxe Suites, the difference is the amenities. The staff is the same with the standards and philosophy. Preferred Club has additional benefits which can make our guests more comfortable, however guests in the Deluxe Suites can enjoy the main pool and activities pool, shows, bars, etc. I am happy to know you enjoyed your stay and that the Preferred Staff was able to assist you, especially Ivan our Beach Concierge, who is an excellent employee. I will share your comment with him.
Despite the swimming regulations guests leave towels or personal belongings on the beach chairs at the beach or at the main pool area. It is difficult sometimes when guests don't respect the rules; however there are guests who do understand the situation.

We look forward to hosting you soon at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 6, 2011

My wife and just spent a week at Now Sapphire and had a great vacation. We were excited about it being rated "6 Golden". Although the resort is nice and we'd definatly return, I think the rating was a little high. Our 3 hour flight from Pittsburgh was smooth. A little late because of de-icing. We arrived at Cancun airport around 8:30am Central time. I think we were the first flight in that day. Customs, baggage claim, and immigration went quick. There were four couples on our flight going to our resort, so rather than taking a bus, they put us in an 8 passenger van and took us directly to the resort. About a 15 or 20 minute ride. Once there, check-in was swift. My wife and I however, were lucky. Our room was ready. There were other people on our flight who waited until 5:00pm for their room. They could still eat, drink, and enjoy the facilities. They couldn't unpack, shower, or catch a quick nap before getting started. There are changing rooms where you can get into your "summer clothes". And you will have access to your luggage. When you pack, make sure you arrange your suitcase so you get at a change of clothes without too much bother.
Rooms: Typical resort rooms. Marble floors, our room had two beds, a sofa bed, a table and chairs, two more chairs and a table on the balcony, (not plastic either), a safe, (free of charge), iron, alarm clock, blow dryer, coffee maker, a well stocked mini bar with bottled water, several kinds of pop (soda), bottled Corona, and TV with several American channels to keep up with news back home in the USA. The rooms were kept clean and the bathroom was well stocked with shower gel, shampoo, body lotion, 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and wash cloths. Never had a problem with hot water or A/C.
Pools: I read other reviews saying the pools were too cold. I had to agree. The weeks before we arrived, the weather was unseasonably cold. The nights were down into the mid 50's. However, it warmed up the week we were there and by the last few days of our trip, the water in the main pool warmed considerably. The pool is huge. Deep enough for actual swimming. Many tile loungers built within the pool, and a swim-up bar.
Food: My wife and I are not fussy eaters. I can always find something good to eat. The breakfasts were again, typical. Made to order omelets, bacon, sausage, fruits, juices, potatoes, breads, etc.
Unlike other resorts, they didn't have a beach buffet. Instead, you walked up on the deck and waited to be seated. You were then given a menu to order your hot dogs, burgers, fries, nachos, etc, and your drinks. You ate off of real plates using real silverware. The wait wasn't ever too long. To me, this is a great idea. We never saw styrofoam plates, napkins, and other trash blowing across the beach and pool areas. This opened at 11:00am. The regular inside lunch buffet opens at 12:30pm. Wet swimwear is NOT permitted inside.
This is also the first resort that allowed you to eat at a specialty restaurant every night for dinner. Usually, you pick 3 or 4 for the week and eat buffet the rest of the nights. No reservations either. First come, first serve. If there is a wait, they'll give you one of those buzzers to take with you to let you know when a table is ready. So you can go to the lounge and wait for your table rather than stand in line. The only exeption is if you want show cooking in the Japanese, you have to go there at 5:30pm to make a reservation for either 6:00pm or 9:00pm. (I think I'm correct on the times). However, if you are content not having the show cooking, again, it's first come, first serve.
Beach: Very nice. Many complain about the seaweed that washes ashore. True. The resort can't control that. There is a tractor pulling a mechanical rake that combs the beaches several times a day. All in all, they do a great job!
There are 3 bars. At times, I do feel they could be staffed a little more. But it's not a real big deal.
We liked: It's not a huge resort. No matter where your room is, everything is within a short walking distance. Three Apple Vacation reps were on duty most of the day and evening. We never needed them, but if we did, they were there.
No wristbands. Instead, you gave the host or hostess your room number.
A coffee shop in the main lobby next to the bar with fresh baked pasties and several selections of coffees. If you don't care for the desserts in the dining rooms, the coffee shop is another option.
The daily bike tour to Puerto Morelos was fun. It's free. They leave the resort at 9:00am every morning. There are only 12 bikes. First come, first serve. I got to the meeting place around 8:40am and got in line. There were several who didn't. Because they were turned down, they did another trip at 11:00am. The bikes are single speed mountain bikes. All seemed to be in good working condition. You have to wear a helmet and orange vest. Two of the resort's activity team members lead and follow the group. It's about a 15 minute ride into town where they make a couple of stops of 10 or 15 minutes each. The bikes have a bottle holder on them. Grab a bottle of water before you leave the resort to take along with you. The roads are flat and you ride at a nice pace.
The town of Puerto Morolos is a 40 minute walk down the beach. You'll walk past a couple of other resorts and condos. Once you get to a pier with a leaning lighthouse, you're there. It's safe. You can shop, have a meal, or a cold drink. There's also a drugstore a couple blocks from the pier if you need to pick something up you may have forgotten to pack.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. The resort is small enough that you really get aquainted with other guests. Steeler fans, such as ourselves, met many Packer fans and we had fun booing and hissing at each other when they walked past wearing their teams shirts.
We didn't like: This is also the first resort where you weren't issued a towel card. BAD IDEA! A person can go to the towel hut and take as many towels as they want. Some people would take extras and reserve more loungers than what they needed. They would reserve some on the beach AND some at the pool. That meant many people couldn't get one because other inconsiderate people were being greedy. Plus, they were too lazy to return them when they were finished with them. Again, they may have left the pool for the day, but left their towel there. People assumed it was taken and had no place to lay. Towel cards aren't that big of a hassle. I honestly feel there are more than enough chairs and loungers for everyone as long as some guests don't abuse the system.
The "sit down" restaurants all have dress codes to follow. Men must wear long pants and a collared shirt. However, the dress code weren't always enforced. They let guys in with flowered shorts, shirts with cut off sleeves, and flip flops, wearing baseball caps. That's fine for the buffets. But I feel if you're going out for a nice dinner, show a little class.
Again, I don't feel that this resort lives up to the high rating given to it. But it doesn't mean it isn't nice either. You won't be disappointed. We can't wait to go back.

1 Thank RanDee57
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff, location, food, facilities property and surrounding area, it is great you took the Bike Tour to PM. It is true that Puerto Morelos is a small village, beautiful beach where you can walk around and feel the breeze in your face.

In our aim of keeping the pool and beach areas in perfect conditions and avoid flies, odor, food in the floor, etc, our hotel has always avoid to give this service in these areas. Breafast is open daily from 7 to 11:00am, the Snack bar opens daily from 11 to 5pm and the Buffet (intl) opens daily from 12:00pm to 4:00pm.

Our Coco Café is a good addition; our guests enjoy the good coffee and pastries. Food & Beverage Department will continue working to provide a good service.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you had stayed with us and that consider your stay as a great vacation. We really want to thank you for all the great feedback given about the property.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun soon.

Illinois
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We just returned last night and had a wonderful time. The weather was great, the resort was beautiful, and the food was some of the best we have ever eaten anywhere. We arrived via Allegiant Air/ Apple Vacations out of Rockford on Jan.26th. The transfer to the airport was easy to locate and quick to depart. The drive to the resort took about 20mins. max. We booked Preferred Club, so we were given a private more personalized check in. We were a little disappointed to find out later that you could up grade to preferred during check in for a far cheaper price than what we had paid when we booked. Live and learn I guess. Our room, 310, was fabulous. The ocean front view was amazing, the king sized bed was very comfortable, and the jacuzzi tub on the balcony was a nice extra. There is not much for privacy on the balcony but we only had people on one side of us for half our stay. The preferred club lounge was nice for the free internet access, light food and drinks, but they only checked our room number once, so not sure how exclusive it is really . The staff was very nice and helpful. The pool bar seemed under staffed and the wait for a drink was longer than most. There are also a lot of bees buzzing around the bar, but only saw one person get stung. We tried all the resturants except the Mexican. Our favorite was the french. The food there was incredible. I highly recommend the beef filet, the sea scallop skewer and the crab and clam bisque. The pools were a bit cold, but the ocean was swimable. Yes, there is seaweed on the beach and in the water, but it is no big deal. We did seem angel fish swimming in knee deep water, and other little fish as well.
We were to return to Rockford on Feb.2nd the day after the blizzard that shut down half of the country. As expected, our flight was cancelled. Here is where the vacation went downhill. The apple reps at the hotel were overwhelmed with stranded travelers. Sadly the apple reps are not connected to the internet to keep ahead of the situation, so all information they had was via phone. It was very frustrating to me that we knew more than them about what was going on with our flight. They told us they would help us get the lowest possible room rate for our additional night or help us find a room elsewhere, but if we left the resort we would have to pay our own transportation to the new hotel. We opted to stay another night at a rate that we could have gotten ourselves off the internet. There was no savings or discount to be had. We ended up having to move out of our room and into a room with two double beds and a tropical view. Which was fine, but for over $400.00, I would have thought they would have let us stay put. We were all shell shocked at the price, since we knew that there were going to be many travelers not making it in due to the weather as well. It was disappointing to know that the resort had no empathy for our situation and only wanted to capitalize on our misfortune. The next day we checked our flight on line before even talking to the apple reps and discovered it was delayed two hours. We informed them of this and got the bums rush out of there, and were told everything was running on time. I just love when people lie to my face. We got the feeling they just wanted us out of there rather than arrange for later transport. This was our first trip with apple vacations and may be our last. There was many others on the flight home that had similar experiences with the apple reps at their resorts. Apple vacations needs to due some serious customer service work with their Mexican reps, and also needs to give them internet access to allow them to have access to the information the guests do. It was a sad way to end such a wonderful trip.
I will add pictures later...

4 Thank dbayme
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your sharing your comments on Tripdavisor, it is great to know you had a good time with us. I will share your comments with the hotel staff.

The excecutive chef will be so happy to know enjoy the food in the specialty restaurants, it is true the French Restaurant is one of the favorites of our guests.

Regarding your comment about apple reps, this was addressed to the Apple Reps Supervisor in Cancun; in order to let them know our guests feeling. I want to apology because we were not able to offer you a special rate for the last night in the hotel.

I hope to welcome you again very soon at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This was our first all inclusive holiday and it didn't disappoint. We stayed for 9 nights. Rooms were very spacious with a nice balcony. Mexican staff were wonderful and friendly; they showed that they wanted our business. The food, drinks, and coffee bar were great. Every night there were great Latin bands playing and we danced every night on the spacious open floor. also, they had very good theatre/stage shows particulary the one with the visiting Mexican dance troupe.
The hotel has a machine that cleaned off the seaweed on the beach 2x each day. So, the sand was quite nice and easy to walk on. The water was not as good as I had hoped; ok for swimming but not sure about the sand beneath my feet. Unfortately we had cool weather and some rain for 4 days in January but it is not usual they said.
The fitness center was too small and crowded and the hotel said that this facility is being replaced with a larger and better one. For runners, you can run around the resort circle road and also go out onto a joining road without any problem or any safety concerns. We ran almost every morning to another hotel further down the coast.

Would definitely recommend this hotel for all ages; there were many families there with children below five years old.
M and R

1 Thank Mexduo
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am overjoyed to read that your visit to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun was a great and that our staff was impecable in the service. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations. I will share your gracious comments with the hotel staff.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and hopefully very often.

With kind regards,

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Went to this resort on Jan. 28th for four nights. We travel frequently, and did this quick trip with our kids before our trip to a Secrets Resort with three other couples in a couple of weeks. This resort is owned by AMResorts, who also own Dreams, Secrets, etc., and I thought we'd try this resort because I do like the Dreams chain.

This resort use to be the Paradisus, and the resort itself is beautiful. The vegetation is absolultey stunning. We upgraded to the Preferred Club once we were there. I think it is cheaper to do it this way. They came down from the original price, and so we decided to go for it. We got a building right on the beach (but not facing the water), and could step out our door and be on the sand (and right at the beach bar) in about 15 steps. Rooms were very nice. The Adults Only pool (for Preferred Club) was close by as well. It was very nice with wonderful shade beds and great bar service. Drinks were brought to you wherever you were. You also have access to the Preferred Club Lounge which had light snacks, premium liquor, and free internet.

Food was very good on the whole. The Japanese, while fine, was nothing to write home about. The Mediterean was the best, followed by Mexican and Grill (didn't do the French), and the outside grill for lunch was excellent. The breakfast buffet was one of the best, but I'm not really sure about the lunch buffet as we went to the grill for lunches.

Shows were ok..,.we were only here for four nights, so didn't get to experience everything. We enjoyed the Elvis night...he was quite funny and talented. They had live music in the lobby after the show, and it was very good as well. One night more mainstream stuff, but all entertaining. THey did have karoke in the disco, but it was only for an hour which seemed odd. We were back in the room by 11:00 pm most night, so can't speak for the disco.

Main pool was beautiful, but could be a little loud sometimes. Water at both pools was cold, but once you were in for a couple of minutes, it was fine.

All in all, nothing to complain about. It was an enjoyable holiday and I would consider returning one day. The price was right, and I was really happy with the value for the money spent.

Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank JenAy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and for your beautiful pictures. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, all the comments are shared with the hotel staff. They will be pleased to know you had a good time.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!