“Wonderful Vacation til the end”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois
“Wonderful Vacation til the end”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We just returned last night and had a wonderful time. The weather was great, the resort was beautiful, and the food was some of the best we have ever eaten anywhere. We arrived via Allegiant Air/ Apple Vacations out of Rockford on Jan.26th. The transfer to the airport was easy to locate and quick to depart. The drive to the resort took about 20mins. max. We booked Preferred Club, so we were given a private more personalized check in. We were a little disappointed to find out later that you could up grade to preferred during check in for a far cheaper price than what we had paid when we booked. Live and learn I guess. Our room, 310, was fabulous. The ocean front view was amazing, the king sized bed was very comfortable, and the jacuzzi tub on the balcony was a nice extra. There is not much for privacy on the balcony but we only had people on one side of us for half our stay. The preferred club lounge was nice for the free internet access, light food and drinks, but they only checked our room number once, so not sure how exclusive it is really . The staff was very nice and helpful. The pool bar seemed under staffed and the wait for a drink was longer than most. There are also a lot of bees buzzing around the bar, but only saw one person get stung. We tried all the resturants except the Mexican. Our favorite was the french. The food there was incredible. I highly recommend the beef filet, the sea scallop skewer and the crab and clam bisque. The pools were a bit cold, but the ocean was swimable. Yes, there is seaweed on the beach and in the water, but it is no big deal. We did seem angel fish swimming in knee deep water, and other little fish as well.
We were to return to Rockford on Feb.2nd the day after the blizzard that shut down half of the country. As expected, our flight was cancelled. Here is where the vacation went downhill. The apple reps at the hotel were overwhelmed with stranded travelers. Sadly the apple reps are not connected to the internet to keep ahead of the situation, so all information they had was via phone. It was very frustrating to me that we knew more than them about what was going on with our flight. They told us they would help us get the lowest possible room rate for our additional night or help us find a room elsewhere, but if we left the resort we would have to pay our own transportation to the new hotel. We opted to stay another night at a rate that we could have gotten ourselves off the internet. There was no savings or discount to be had. We ended up having to move out of our room and into a room with two double beds and a tropical view. Which was fine, but for over $400.00, I would have thought they would have let us stay put. We were all shell shocked at the price, since we knew that there were going to be many travelers not making it in due to the weather as well. It was disappointing to know that the resort had no empathy for our situation and only wanted to capitalize on our misfortune. The next day we checked our flight on line before even talking to the apple reps and discovered it was delayed two hours. We informed them of this and got the bums rush out of there, and were told everything was running on time. I just love when people lie to my face. We got the feeling they just wanted us out of there rather than arrange for later transport. This was our first trip with apple vacations and may be our last. There was many others on the flight home that had similar experiences with the apple reps at their resorts. Apple vacations needs to due some serious customer service work with their Mexican reps, and also needs to give them internet access to allow them to have access to the information the guests do. It was a sad way to end such a wonderful trip.
I will add pictures later...

4 Thank dbayme
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your sharing your comments on Tripdavisor, it is great to know you had a good time with us. I will share your comments with the hotel staff.

The excecutive chef will be so happy to know enjoy the food in the specialty restaurants, it is true the French Restaurant is one of the favorites of our guests.

Regarding your comment about apple reps, this was addressed to the Apple Reps Supervisor in Cancun; in order to let them know our guests feeling. I want to apology because we were not able to offer you a special rate for the last night in the hotel.

I hope to welcome you again very soon at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

E Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,323)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This was our first all inclusive holiday and it didn't disappoint. We stayed for 9 nights. Rooms were very spacious with a nice balcony. Mexican staff were wonderful and friendly; they showed that they wanted our business. The food, drinks, and coffee bar were great. Every night there were great Latin bands playing and we danced every night on the spacious open floor. also, they had very good theatre/stage shows particulary the one with the visiting Mexican dance troupe.
The hotel has a machine that cleaned off the seaweed on the beach 2x each day. So, the sand was quite nice and easy to walk on. The water was not as good as I had hoped; ok for swimming but not sure about the sand beneath my feet. Unfortately we had cool weather and some rain for 4 days in January but it is not usual they said.
The fitness center was too small and crowded and the hotel said that this facility is being replaced with a larger and better one. For runners, you can run around the resort circle road and also go out onto a joining road without any problem or any safety concerns. We ran almost every morning to another hotel further down the coast.

Would definitely recommend this hotel for all ages; there were many families there with children below five years old.
M and R

1 Thank Mexduo
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am overjoyed to read that your visit to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun was a great and that our staff was impecable in the service. We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations. I will share your gracious comments with the hotel staff.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and hopefully very often.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Went to this resort on Jan. 28th for four nights. We travel frequently, and did this quick trip with our kids before our trip to a Secrets Resort with three other couples in a couple of weeks. This resort is owned by AMResorts, who also own Dreams, Secrets, etc., and I thought we'd try this resort because I do like the Dreams chain.

This resort use to be the Paradisus, and the resort itself is beautiful. The vegetation is absolultey stunning. We upgraded to the Preferred Club once we were there. I think it is cheaper to do it this way. They came down from the original price, and so we decided to go for it. We got a building right on the beach (but not facing the water), and could step out our door and be on the sand (and right at the beach bar) in about 15 steps. Rooms were very nice. The Adults Only pool (for Preferred Club) was close by as well. It was very nice with wonderful shade beds and great bar service. Drinks were brought to you wherever you were. You also have access to the Preferred Club Lounge which had light snacks, premium liquor, and free internet.

Food was very good on the whole. The Japanese, while fine, was nothing to write home about. The Mediterean was the best, followed by Mexican and Grill (didn't do the French), and the outside grill for lunch was excellent. The breakfast buffet was one of the best, but I'm not really sure about the lunch buffet as we went to the grill for lunches.

Shows were ok..,.we were only here for four nights, so didn't get to experience everything. We enjoyed the Elvis night...he was quite funny and talented. They had live music in the lobby after the show, and it was very good as well. One night more mainstream stuff, but all entertaining. THey did have karoke in the disco, but it was only for an hour which seemed odd. We were back in the room by 11:00 pm most night, so can't speak for the disco.

Main pool was beautiful, but could be a little loud sometimes. Water at both pools was cold, but once you were in for a couple of minutes, it was fine.

All in all, nothing to complain about. It was an enjoyable holiday and I would consider returning one day. The price was right, and I was really happy with the value for the money spent.

Enjoy!

5 Thank JenAy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and for your beautiful pictures. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities, all the comments are shared with the hotel staff. They will be pleased to know you had a good time.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the very near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2011

What a wonderful place!!!
I went down with my 87 year old mother, husband and 3 kids. The food was amazing. So many different restaurants to chose from and if they are not serving what you want, just ask the waiter and he will get the cook to make it for you. The restaurants are very clean and you don't have to check the plates and forks before you start eating. Everything is spotless. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Beaches are long and beautiful. White sand is right out your room. Spend the extra and get the "Ocean View" rooms, it is well worth it and you won't regret it. Rooms are very clean and the beds are so comfortable and clean and cozy. The open areas of the resort are also very clean and well set out. The pool is huge and never ending. This hotel is only 20 minutes away from the airport. Perfect for those people that want to land and get to a great resort within minutes. I LOVED this resort and my family goes away about 5 times per year. It is a very relaxing place but there is music by the pool if you want a little more action. I would completely recommend this resort to anyone and everyone. It's also very romantic. Lots of people getting married on the beach. It was beautiful. Book this hotel and feel safe about your choice............you are going to love it. I can't wait to go back.................and I WILL!!!!!!

2 Thank Madonna103
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun with us and with other travellers.

Your positive comments about the rooms, restaurants, our beautiful beach and the outstanding service provided by our friendly staff are greatly appreciated and will happily share with the hotel staff.

Thank you for your preference and confidence giving us the pleasure of welcoming you every year.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2011

There is absolutely nothing bad to say about this place, it is simply stunning. Anyone who say's anything bad about it are a bunch of sour pusses to begin with, don't believe it. We took my sister there for her 40th birthday on Jan. 28.2011, couldn't have picked a better place if we tried. I want to say a big thank you to Olivia Rodríguez Viveros, she was a big help in organizing my sisters birthday cake, yummy Tres Leches cake, melt in the mouth delicious.!!! Thank you all for an amazing experience.

1 Thank Tobysone
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripdavisor, it is great to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun. Thank for your words about me as well!!

We hope to welcome you again very soon at the Now Sapphire.

Cordially yours

Dallas
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This was my first trip to Mexico and staying in an all-inclusive resort. Out of the ratings, I wouldn't say it was "Excellent", but if they had something in between an "Average" and "Very Good", then I would rank it that. I wasn't sure what exactly to expect at an all-inclusive, but my husband and I had our list of pros and cons.

Pros:
- At our arrival, there were multiple people helping us with baggage, serving us champagne and really making you feel welcomed
- The bell boys are great and very helpful from the get go. They took care of our luggage, driving us to our building and bringing everything up
- Rooms are nicely done with a good view of the water/tropical area
- Location of the hotel is great; right on the beach
- Beach is beautiful, turquoise water, powder-white sand, though the water was pretty cold during this time of the year
- Pool is very nice, but again, cold during this time of year, which is not their fault
- Francisco, the bartender at the pool, was awesome! He made delicious drinks!
- Bartenders at the lobby bar were as efficient as they could be. We really liked Cesar. He was always very happy, smiling and greeted us.
- Waiters at the restaurants and Market Cafe were very helpful and accommodating
- The Meditteranean restaurant was the best. The French one was definitely the most formal out of the restaurants there, but we preferred the Meditteranean flavors over the French, though service was impeccable at the French restaurant.
- The breakfast buffet is amazing! Angelica, my favorite omelet maker was the best! Fresh squeezed juices, delicious omelets and honestly I didn't try anything else because I stuck with what I liked. My husband did try most everything else and he said it was okay and that the omelet was the best too.
- Great Fire and Ice entertainment show.

Cons:
- Check-in and check-out process was extremely slow
- The building floors are made out of marble, and could be pretty slippery if you aren't careful
- No handrails to walk up the stairs to your bedroom
- No elevators (which was fine for us, but there were older couples there that I could see getting hurt if they slipped down the stairs, especially with no hand rails to guide them)
- Quite a bit of seaweed around, but machines were out working at cleaning them up
- Chairs at the beach were scarce, since guests would "save" them for their parties by putting towels on them and not returning until hours later, so even if you wake up early, the chairs are already all saved and there are no other places to sit
- If you did manage to nab a chair, the chairs were very close in proximity to everyone. Most of the guests were considerate, nice, quiet and polite, but there were quite a few rowdy ones that were belligerently drunk and if you were an unlucky one, they would gather up fairly close to your area and be obnoxious together.
- The Japanese restaurant was our least favorite. Side note, if you want to eat hibachi, make sure you make reservations. The food was bland.
- Don't have wine when you're out there. I would recommend sticking to Coronas and their mixed drinks when visiting

All in all, it was a nice and relaxing vacation. Service is great, food is okay and drinks are always flowing.

5 Thank eva0128
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor and also for the extensive list of pros and cons that you experienced during your stay. All the comments are shared with the hotel staff and the Executive Committee in order to improve quality and service.

Francisco, Angelica, and all the employees will be so pleased to know they were able to assist you. Also our executive chef will be happy to know the food was to your liking. We appreciate you mentioning the service provided at the French and Mediterranean Restaurants was impeccable.

About the “Cons”, I would like to thank you for giving us your valuable feedback as it does provide us with the ability to improve upon the guest experience and ensure that we work to eliminate such concerns as those which you experienced.

We hope to welcome you again very soon at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Maryland
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We are here now. The resort is pretty. The staff is is not a 6 apple staff. There are a few nice people but no one is willing to go beyond 3 star. I emailed/ called Apple never heard back. I asked for a band-aide the other day because my toes was cut/bleeding and the woman at the front didn't even look up at me when I asked. She blew me off and said the conceirge maybe could help me. The wait is long for to get a seat for dinner. There is also not many staff memeber's here. Ratio is low. Resort needs a lesson in customer service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for giving us feedback on your visit. I am very sorry that the experience was not to your satisfaction. I will be following up on the issues you brought up and share it with the team. We were trying to contact you after reading your comment, unfortunately you had left the hotel.

On behalf of the hotel, I apologize for any inconenvience you experienced, we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,136 reviews

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!