“WORST SERVICE ....EVER!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Watauga, Texas
“WORST SERVICE ....EVER!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

During our stay in Puerto Morelos, we visited the Now Sapphire Reef Grill. We were staying at the Jade, but we were able to use the dining facilities at the Sapphire. We arrived at the Sapphire, were seated, and a server did not approach our table for OVER 5 minutes. This may not seem long; however, we were 1 of 3 tables occupied and there were 5 Servers on duty. I ordered Champange which took OVER 15 minutes to be delivered to the table. My Appitizer came out INCORRECT. ALSO, My entree came out Incorrect and my husbands Filet was Over-Cooked. We only received 1 refill on WATER and that was because we FLAGGED the server and asked. During our dinner, the servers were standing around talking and not serving the tables. The staff did not provide the level of service expected from this caliber resort. Do not recommend Sapphire.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank huntressbelle
NowSapphireRC, Econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I will share your observations with F&B department as well as with the Executive Chef, they take seriously all our guests comments in order to make the necessary corrections.

I hope to welcome you in the near future; I know that the first impression is very important and difficult to change however I hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future to experience the real service.

Econcierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,236)
  • Polish first
Front Royal, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

9/16-9/24

I would like to start off stating that we were recommended this resort through our travel agent. We planned to get married in Mexico along with vacationing and honeymooning...

Our wedding day... NO complaints! Its was exactly what we wanted and more. Daniela our wedding coordinator was fabulous! She and the wonderful staff at this resort went out of their way to make sure our day was wonderful. My husband and I didnt have to worry about a thing. Every detail was taken care of and everything turned out great.

I have never traveled before and this was my first time out of the states. Needless to say my expectations were very high. The resort, was a little out dated. It had a bit of charm, but from what Ive heard from other frequent travelers of Riviera Maya there are nicer resorts out there. Rooms... just ok. For the most part, very clean. The staff was good about cleaning the room daily sometimes twice a day. Always had clean towels. BEDS ARE HARD AS A ROCK. We had a bottom floor room ocean front, I prefer top floor room. Family traveling with us had to switch rooms in the middle of their stay because they were not given a king size bed room, which is what they booked. The grounds were nice and seemed to always be worked on. The pools were nice and clean. We got to take advantage of the adult pool because we were"preferred customers" ( I would recommend this). The main pool was often crowded and had a lot of kids around. We were told by others staying at the resort that the resort was letting the locals come on to the resort for the day because it was their slow season, because of this we were told to be careful with our belongings because others had an experience with stolen items. We however, did not have anything stolen. The beach...just OK. I was kind of disappointed....YES the seaweed is a problem. It wasnt enjoyable jumping and dodging it while trying to cool off in the beautiful clear water. Im a very picking eater, so having only two restaurants open a night out of their five was difficult. We understood it was during their slow season, but still frustrating. Almost all of the restaurants had NO A/C! This made it unbearable to eat most days. Keep in mind, this is a very humid area. All staff were wonderful...earned their tips well.

Overall dissappointment of our trip, a total of 4 people traveling with us got deathly ill. Everyone gets warned to watch what you drink when in Mexico, but please do! We never really got to the bottom of what could have caused their illness but one conclusion was the adult pool bar ice. Me and my husband were they only two who did not get sick. We did drink beverages with ice the entire time and we were fine. I also drank mostly bottle water and was fine. Traveling to Mexico, this is a risk you are going to take. Just be cautious!

Would recommend for families, kid friendly. Not really an adult resort.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NowSapphireRC, E Concierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for sharing your comments on tridadvisor. I will address to the involved department as well as to the hotel staff.

I have shared your comments with Daniela and the Wedding Department. She is a very professional woman and very nice girl. It is also a pleasure for us to know that your vacation was a great experience.

Regret to know that some of your friends got ill. All the water as well as the ice is purified by osmosis, we hope they are feeling better.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Best regards,

EConcierge
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

Overall, very positive experience! We were at the resort for a family wedding and that part was fantastic. For our immediate family which is my husband and I, and our girls 5yrs and 2yrs. this place was great. Very different from some of the reviews i read before we left, service was very very good. Check in was super smooth. I was barely out of the taxi and I was checking in with a champagne in my hand and our girls each had a cool bottle of water! A small golf cart like shuttle then wisked us off to our room. Ground level room 601. This room had 2 doubles and we had a roll away bed also brought to the room so that our girls did not have to share. Our phone had a horrible connection upon check in Saturday but it was perfect by Monday morning when the technition was able to come. We loved the pool and pool side bar which made great virgin drinks for our daughters as well. Pretty much our vacation was poolside. The beach is not as bad as some of the descriptions but if you want a strickly perfect beach only vacation this may not be the resort for you. There is seaweed at waters edge but the beach is groomed very regularly throughout the day and you can wade into the water without feeling attacked by grass. We loved the restaurants! The option to eat alternatively to the buffet was nice. Loved the Japanese and yes you do have to make reservations once the restaurant opens at 5:30 sort of a pain (I waited from 5pm to reserve for 11 people) but really........you are on vacation not a big deal. All the other restaurants no reservation needed and we were always seated quickly. They have a kids club which we did not take advantage of because we had lots of family on vacation with us but we stopped in and the staff was very nice and tried to be as helpful as they could. This is for children 3yrs and up. Another favorite part was spending a little extra for the "romantic dinner" which is served on the beach. Worth every extra penny!!! Food perfect and service impecable! Even when it started to rain we were cared for super fast once relocated they remade our entrees. Down sides..........hmmmm.....the beds were hard but I did sleep fantastic so can't even really complain about that. Occasionally at the grill for lunch the service was lacking slow and not attentive. Our 5 year old was ill with an unexplained fever on the day we got there and we ended up seeing the MD on site and she was amazing! I felt really well cared for and she then had us followup before we left the resort. The only negative to that was that we had to use them but I would trust them without a doubt. She was on antibiotics and ear drops for the week but was so much better within 48hours. During this time we made use of the 24 hour room service and it was awesome. Other then that, the only reason I wouldn't go back is because I like to always try something new.

3 Thank Karen P
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and beautiful photos regarding your recent stay in Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun. I appreciate and encourage feedback from our guests as this provides me with important information that allows us to make of Sapphire that special haven you so much enjoyed.

Thank you for your comments of the romantic dinners on the beach. Regarding your comment of the snack bar I will share it with the F&B Manager.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Louisville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

We were at the Sapphire Sept. 10-16. We have only been to one other all-inclusive,Iberostar Tulum, last year so comparisons can't be helped. We were in a Preferred section trop view room 525(free upgrade). Room was very good location great, close to beach a little, welcomed, walk to lobby. Room needs more drawer space I remember that being the same as before. Internet access was only available when I was on the terrace.We are beach people and it was very nice, yes seaweed but that's nature. Water very nice due to the reef also no boat traffic like last year (further south) also because of the reef being a national park. We were at the main pool for a couple of hours once. Very pretty pool but not us, too loud but good for people watching.
Food I would say was good overall. Due to only 40% occupancy only 2 +buffet we open each night but we made it to all except Mexican. We felt the best was the Cibu good selection good preparation, next the Grill good rib eye, but hey have ended the free lobster tail for preferred members even though it said it was free on the menu and after pointing that out to our waiter they relented and my wife got one it was just ok. The Lemongrass was fun, food ok a little over cooked. French limited selection a lot of show quality ok preparation bland. Market Place overall ok quality food choices fair especially at breakfast. Tulum's buffet at breakfast was much larger and varied day to day with different cold meats and cheeses Sapphire had the same meat (ham) and cheese every day but they did have Mimosa and/or Bloody Mary bar. We went Italian night and Mexican night(held in the theater) and they were good. They need some way to get lunch food like a hotdog, hamburger etc and not have to sit down at a table.
Service was great. Almost everyone very friendly. Other items we liked better than Tulum, no towel card, we were able to take as many as we wanted and no limit on how often we went to the restaurants.
We did go to the preferred pool one afternoon and on our last day due to it being very windy (trop storm Karl). It was great. The Bali bed very nice, quiet, great bar service maybe 6-7 other couples there. Overall a very good experience, we did do scuba diving through the resort to the reef, fun, and took a cab to Puerto Morelos, nice small town shouldn't be missed.
We had a problem with delayed luggage due to flight issues. Isabel in the preferred club arranged for one of the bell men to go to the airport to retrieve our bags sine Delta had no one to deliver them. This was service above and beyond. Also a gentleman at the preferred pool aske us if he could make reservations at Lemongrass for us. All service was great

3 Thank Roblc
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. For us it is very important to know our guest´s satisfaction in order to make the necessary corrections in our service, also we shared the comments with the hotel staff.

It is a great satisfaction to know you enjoyed the food at the Market Café, Mediterranean, Japanese and French Restaurants.

Regarding your compliments of our employe Isabel, it is very much appreciated. I have informed her and Preferred Pool of your kindness to make them aware of your satisfaction with their service.

We would like to thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cordially yours,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I stayed at the now sapphire from sept 9-16th. First and foremost I would like to say, that ppl that have complained drasitcally about this hotel need a reality check. Like any other place that you would visit, there are some things that need worked on, but please keep in mind they are still undergoing changes. From the second we got there, to the second we left everything was pretty much perfect. We arrived 3 hours before check in and had no problems getting taken to our room right away. We were greeted with champaign and towels which was great. We were in building 5 which was great because even though we were garden view, it was basically right on the beach, which may i say is beautiful.

The restraunts, though not open every night serve great food..the buffet is great also for breakfast and lunch, we never ate there for dinner, we either ate at a restraunt or got the room serice which was extremly fast, and the club sandwich is delicious.

The service is great, espically Carlos & Angel, but everyone works to make your stay amazing and they do! If anyone has any complaints about the service, they are absolutly ridiculous.

Beach like I said is beautiful, yes there is some sea grass..not a big deal, we went in the water everyday and had no problem.

All in all the resort is amazing and the only way I can see complaining is if you need to be a million dollar resort, you are on vacation-have fun, have some drinks, & relax!

4 Thank spu21
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for posting you feedback about your past stay at the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun. It is great that you let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will share your comment with Carlos & Angel, they will be pleased to hear that they were able to assist you.

Thanks for staying with us, we really hope to see you back very soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

Went for 5 days in early Sept; it was definitely down season, resort was 20% full. Overall, its a nice resort going through transition (Now took over in May 2010), so certain things were still under the old brand. Service was good overall, staff was great, front desk was ok. Rooms was spacious and clean, although given transition things were missing based on their brochure (flat-screen tv, mp3-dock alarm, slippers). Beach was nice. Overall, if you are looking for a relaxing time on the beach, this is a good spot. Booked on cheapcarribean.com; slightly cheaper than Applevacations. Also, great to go when its down-season with no kids running around.

Below are some specifics dos / don'ts.

Things Not To Do:
1. Don't exchange money at Cancun Airport. Cancun apparently is a destinated tourist area, so exchange rates and taxi are substantially more expensive. You don't actually need to exchange any money, b/c tips and other charges can be paid in $USD; just bring a lot of singles. Tour sites also accept USD.
2. No need to book tours from home (maybe not true during peak season). Hotel has Amstar and Olympia Tours, and pricing is competitive. Most of the sites are essentially tourist traps where they charge USD prices. Heard locals get 50% discount.
Xcaret (eco-park) - $99 admission; XelHa (eco-park) - $79 admission fee. So you paid a little extra $20-25 for transportation to these places. They also had a $49 half-day Tulum tour or Tulum/Xelha for $139.
3. Car rental is expensive, $80-100/day from hotel. Only works if you are going to multiple spots a day or if you have a large group.
4. Can use airport designated cab company to travel back/forth from hotel. Its call Cancun Shuttle, roundtrip fare is $65-75 to hotel, which is cheapest I found. They go direct, so no other dropoffs. $65 if you book early.
5. Avoid guys you see when you clear customs at Cancun airport, trying to sell you timeshares essentially.

What To Do:
1. Spa was great; they had a 2 for 1 special during certain hours during day. You can use the facility prior/after your spa treatment, so you can spend 3-4 hours there hanging out. Its a nice day.
2. Drinks are weak - so ask for stuff on the rocks. They water down drinks, and stuff is mostly local and some medium shelf stuff. Only coronas at hotel, no other beer. Heard Sol is good down there if you get to travel outside resort.
3. Ask for room close to beach, towers 1-5 I think. Its worth it to be steps away from beach even if you have a garden view.
4. Make at least one trip out of resort. If you are really bored, they had a free shopping trip to canun or a $15 shopping trip to Playa Del Carmen.
5. Buffet is pretty consistent and good, french is best among theme restaurants. Just be warned, food can be very salty and they use a ton of butter on everything.
6. Night entertainment is pretty good, generally goes from 8-11pm. Movies on beach, mexican shows, live bands, etc.
7. Bring mosquito repelent, not so bad at resort, but if you visit one of the eco-parks, it might be trouble.

6 Thank Travel_King058
NowSapphireRC, econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay in Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun with us and on Tripadvisor.

I will share your comment about the food with our Executive Chef. Our entertainment team will be happy to know you liked all the activities during your stay.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience in Tripadvisor, and I look forward to welcoming you soon in the near future

econcierge
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I was at the hotel from Sept 4-10, 2010. I will start by saying that I'm a travel agent and have not been to an all-inclusive since 1985. I booked my package through Pleasant Holidays. I had a pleasant experience, and would return to the NOW Sapphire Resort, but there is still some work to be done. If you have a resort credit make sure you know what it is good for before arriving.

Arrival: After collecting luggage and clearing customs - run...past the guys in the airport to the Best Day Tour people (blue pants, white shirts) fast and efficient transfers.
Hotel: Front Desk Staff: Fine, not the friendliest people, but the rest of the staff make up for it. Are room was ready, we stayed in building 6 - all the way at the end of the property. So the walk to the restaurants and pool was a good walk.

Room: Nice size room and bathroom. We were on the ground floor-need new patio furniture. The BED......very hard, but suffered through it. Asked for a mattress pad, never recieved it. Room service was fast and efficient. We did tip are room service attendant.

Beach: So pretty....white sand, not hot, lots of chairs (low season). There is seaweed in the water. It sort of looks like someone mowed and dumped the grass in the water. It really did not bother me. Great beach for long walks. Bartender on beach great, did tip him one day.

Hotel: Lobby and public space is all open air, no a/c. It got very hot at times. We were always searching for a brezzy spot in the main lounge. If A/C is important don't come to this resort, but if you like a well maintained resort it was lovely. The jewelry store has some beautiful pieces - did my Christmas shopping.

Dining: I enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and lunch. There was always a nice verity of hot and cold foods. The salad bar was great. The staff-WONDERFUL. Ask Isreal for a glass of "Dos Perros" he will laugh.... Be careful of the sauces....calente.....
We ate at all the Restaurants. They have been renamed so what you see on the web site is not correct.
Med: food good, service a little slow
Mexican: food bad, service good. Don't order the shrimp, it's frozen and overcooked.
French: pretty restaurant, food and service very good.
Asian: get in line by 5:30pm - fun, food and service was good.
**** I can't say "Great" for any of the restaurants, but was all good.

Wine: house wine - horrible........They have a nice wine list, but it's expensive, we didn't care.

Tipping: I never felt that I need to, but there were people I did recognize at the end of my stay. Now if you sit your bottom at the pool bar or the lobby bar all week tip those people, they really do appreciate it.

Spa: Not as happy with this part of the resort. Open air very hot. Too hot to enjoy the facility. My facial was not the best.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank maxford
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor, I will address to the hotel management.

We regret that we did not fulfill your expectations at all; We appreciate your comments that give us the opportunity to adjust and improve our quality and services as well as the hotel facilities. We will be attending each comment you kindly forwarded to us to reach the high standards we fully committed ourselves.

Once again thank you for your observations and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the near future.

I would like to mention that we are in the process of soft renovations throughout the resort (for ej: tv, beds, room furniture) in the next couple of months. It will be a pleasure to keep you updated as this are finished. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, so you can see the changes.

Sincerely yours,

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,907 reviews

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!