“Cool Breezes, Good Value, No Hassles”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cool Breezes, Good Value, No Hassles”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Now Sapphire (formerly Paradissus) is a good value for your vacation dollar. Our afternoon check-in went smoothly enough. We traveled as a family: husband, wife, one adult child and one teenager. We were placed in villa 11 and 12. If the kids were younger this would have been a problem. Our room was on the third floor. After a day, my wife decided she wanted to be on the first floor, and we were accommodated with no trouble whatsoever.

You may have traveled to other AI resorts and be familiar with wristbands, a la carte reservations and restrictions, and towel cards. Here’s how it is NOW. Want a towel? Take one. Want 2? Take 2. Done with your towel? Leave it on a beach chair; towels are collected at the end of each day. Want dinner? Find an a la carte restaurant that’s open. If you go at six, you’ll walk right in. If you go later, you may have to wait in line. (Japanese requires reservations, probably because of the hibachi tables.) You may also “dine around” by making a reservation at Now Jade with the concierge before 3 PM. You’ll pay for the ride over though and that could be steep.

If you stay here, and have any complaint about your room, it’s best to have it addressed on day one. Possible issues include blown out light bulbs, nonworking clock radios, or air conditioning set at 25 C (that’s 77 F, and we never could get it to go lower). If you don’t like firm bedding, the maid may understand the word “sponge” to describe a foam mattress topper. I used the word “mattress” and was offered a box of matches, and I don’t smoke! We are not new to the all-inclusive resorts of the Riviera Maya and we see such difficulties as a part of the experience. Next time I am going to make a list of Spanish words for items in a hotel room.

If you must have in-room internet you’ll need to be in villas 1 through 6. There is a fee for internet usage unless you upgrade to Preferred Club status. There is also internet access in the air conditioned business center (three computers, a printer, and a phone) or in the lobby, by the pool, or on the beach (most likely in front of villas 1 through 6, we didn’t check – who wants to get sand in your laptop?)

Now Sapphire is in my opinion a midsize resort. Our rooms were relatively close to the lobby, which is good when it rains or in the extreme heat. There is no shortage of house phones – one on the outside of each villa, in your room’s bathroom, in the lobby, and at the towel hut. Like the old yellow pages ad says: “let your fingers do the walking!”

The lobby and buffet dining areas are not air conditioned. The food serving area of the buffet seemed smaller than some AI resorts, but was air conditioned and well organized. Some restaurants are open air while others are air conditioned. One or more times per week, a Mexican buffet is offered in the theatre area. A walk-up snack bar would be nice, but there is 24 hour room service available at no extra charge.

You traveled to Riviera Maya for the Caribbean. Unfortunately for this property, Mother Nature put the C in seaweed. At one point I felt as though I was swimming in grass clippings. On the other hand, there are very few rocks to step on – no water shoes required.

The pool was green from Thursday Aug 19 through Saturday Aug 21. The pool was closed on Saturday afternoon and reopened Sunday afternoon in good condition. As others have noted, I also have the orange stains on the white part of my swimsuit. The pool bar is also in disrepair as there is a piece of marble missing from the front of it. There is a preferred club pool that is incorrectly marked “adult” (from the Paradissus days) and a kids’ pool near the main pool. I personally saw a woman talking on the towel hut phone complaining about the green water as well as a woman leave the resort over the pool issue. On the other hand there were several guests who were still swimming in the cloudy green water.

We did enjoy playing trivia games with the entertainment team on the first day, but everything is more fun after a drink or two, even if the drinks were sometimes lacking in actual alcohol.

The service at Now Sapphire is top notch, from the front desk, bellboys, maids, bartenders, and waiters. You will be offered a wine list at dinner, but you can always have the “house wine” for no additional charge. The resort has a very low key, laid back atmosphere. The open air lobby is great when the breeze comes in from the ocean, nice for listening to the live music each evening.

Check out went smoothly as well, but it must be noted that my daughter and I both suffered some gastrointestinal symptoms once we arrived home.

You may not find perfection in every corner of Now Sapphire, but you will find great service, great breezes, and a relaxing vacation that’s easy on your wallet.

1 Thank tomscube
NowSapphireRC, econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam

On behalf of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our hotel facilities and Staff.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to improve the high standards you have experienced during your vacation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun soon.

ORV

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,331)
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at this hotel Aug. 14-21 & it was wonderful. When we arrived we were greeted with warm towels - check in was fast & even though we arrived at 10:45am our room was ready for us! We decided to check in with our Apple rep to arrange our transportation back to the airport before we went to the room this way we wouldn't have to do that later on - on our way we were given champagne which was nice. The apple rep was nice & very informative. After that we hopped on a golf cart & were taken on a drive around the complex & taken to our building (9) - once we got there Manuelo carried all of our luggage up to our room & came in to make sure we were satisfied with the room (we were!) then the housekeeper came in & gave me extra hangers without me even requesting them which was great. There's a lot to cover so I'll break it out:
The People - they are so nice & they work very hard. They really go out of their way to make your stay relaxing & wonderful - I was very impressed.
The Pool - nice & big & the beds in the pool are a huge plus! The only bad thing was that 2 of my bathing suits (white) turned orange & I was not able to get the stains out, definitely a bum out. On the ride to the airport another guest told us that the pool had turned green the night before & that morning, not sure what that was about becuase we didn't see it. Pool bar was great - definitely not stingy with the alcohol.
Restaurants - I'll break them out below - the thing I loved was that you did NOT need reservations (except Japanese), I Loved that we could go anytime we wanted!! Dress code was not enforced while we were there - saw plenty of people in the specialty restaurants wearing shorts & flip flops, I wouldn't recommend that as I think some of the fun is getting dressed up but to each his own.
Mexican Restaurant - Wonderful Service & food was good. Depending on where you sit you can have a view of the ocean. It is not air-conditioned so it is very hot in there & a little uncomfortable. This place was a little tricky to find - you go to the buffet restaurant & go to the left then straight.
Mediterranean - My favorite one of them all, we ate here twice. It was air conditioned which is a huge plus. The risotto was awesome & my husband said his fillet was cooked perfectly! Service was great.
French - They did not have the duck the night we went so that was disappointing but the food was good
The Grill - food was good, when it's not raining you can sit outside & have a view of the ocean.
Buffet - On the small side but a pretty decent selection. The fish & rice is wonderful. Service was excellent!! They also have a bloody mary & mimosa bar in the mornings!
Room Service - Huge plus, don't know what we would've done without it. Food was great & delivered quickly.
Alcohol - you can request any type you want so if you want top shelf just tell them. The wine is pretty bad but I still drank it every night at dinner, I always went with white & after the first few sips you get used to it. You can buy better wines but we didn't want to pay extra.
The lobby bar - Oscar, Oliver & Caesar are awesome! They interact with everyone so easily & try very hard to make sure your glass is NEVER empty. They are fun & want you to have fun as well.
Entertainment - music at night in the lobby was good. Movies on the beach was very cool but you'll want to use bug spray, I didn't & regretted it!
Beach - very nice, we usually went there after we were done hanging out at the pool. The only bad thing was the jelly fish, saw numerous people get stung. My husband went in & he was fine - I was not brave enough to go in.
All in all our trip was wonderful & I would recommend this place. We wished there were more areas that were air conditioned as it is REALLY hot & humid but it's not something that would deter me from going back. Go, relax & have a good time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trvllvrpa
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor, I will address them to the hotel staff.

It is great to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Houseekeping staff, f & B, restaurants staff, waiters and of course, Oscar, Oliver, Cesar and Manuel will be will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized

We hope to welcome you again very soon at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Best regards
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Very poor service. Hotel misrepresented as 6 Apple location By Apple vacations. Extra charges for multiple items! Not All Inclusive !!!!! $120.00 To use my laptop . extra charge to use one pool. Mexican coffee extra charge at lobby bar. Mini bar consists of three miniture bottles of liquer. was not restocked for two days. supposed to be restocked every day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor, I will address them to the hotel staff.

Our Hotel is all inclusive, the WIFI has an extra charge per hour, I apologize if you were not well informed about this.

The mini bars are restocked daily from 7am to 4pm, I do not know if you called to report this to our operator, which immediately would had taken action.

I hope to have another chance to welcome you at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Cordially yours,

Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We just got back yesterday we got a great price and had a great time~but the hotel is lacking in several areas. It was hot, we only had rain 3 times and only for a couple minutes. We went on a girls trip-5 of us ages 20-46 (one friend brought her 2 daughters)
POOL-The day we arrived the entire pool was GREEN-EWWWWWWW-the second day they were cleaning it and by day three it was clean. I was still kinda grossed out, but it was too hot not to get in. The sand/beach were pretty-but there was seagrass as it is very close to the reef, the water did seem to clear up as the week went on.
Excursions-We walked down the beach and met a guy named Paco (they are set up by dreams-have a massage place,hair braiding)-the next day we went on a snorkel tour for $25-AMAZING. One of the best snorkeling trips I've ever been on. It was supposed to be 2 hours, but was more like 3. We also went with the entertainment crew( Freddy was so great to us) to Cancun (dady'o, ultra lounge, sweet bar was closed)-Dady'O was the only one worth visiting and we had a lot of fun there-the others were dead. We also took the Apple shopping trip to Playa-by the time we picked up people at other hotels-we only had a little over 2 hours to shop. :(
Spa-my 25 minute massage wasn't great and overpriced. My facial was nice but I didn't think they extracted enough, as it was an extraction facial. The spa told my friend it was $10 for ear candling and charged her $30!!!! The front desk nor spa would fix the problem.
Food-the buffets food was actually decent. At lunch they had a "station" each day, pasta, fajitas, etc. Ice cream and cookies were great!!! ALL the Ala Cartes are HOT-even though they are air-conditioned. The french was hot and took 2 hours to eat-the food was good though. The Mediterranean was HOT and my friend found a piece of plastic in her soup-she called the matire de over-he really didn't seem to care much-he said the food comes wrapped in the kitchen-no real apology . We lost our appetite after that. The Mexican was good, and we probably enjoyed it the most. We ate twice at the Japanese and they didn't have green ice cream either time. We ate at the Grill for lunch once but never for dinner. Disappointed that you could not eat at the beach or in the pool area. They did not have a place you could just pick up food and go. Another thing that was missing was PAELLA on the beach (many other resorts have a beach party one day)
Drinks-I thought most of the drinks were pretty good-but they didn't have alcohol in them~I joked I'd have to drink 15 mojitoes to get drunk/
Rooms-The beds were VERY hard and the water temp would fluctuate when showering, the room was very clean. No elevators! The mini-bar never got anything cold.
SHOWS-The shows we saw were good (dancing). We saw part of the 70-80's, carribean and mexican. They also had a comedian and a juggler, we did not see. The lobby has bands some nights, when they don't have shows. VERY disappointed they did not have a fire show.
The nightlife is almost non existent. The "UNFUN-fun pub" was very boring-hardly anyone in there-by day 5 we decided to invite everyone we new-and round up people in the lobby. Our new friends-Va-Kay-Sean were hilarious and we had a blast. I doubt that place has ever been so crowded-I bet there were 50 people!
Myself and 3 the other girls have been to the Rivera several times and stayed at 4-6 apple resorts. I would rate it a 5 RED-no idea how it's now a 6 YELLOW. We did have a great time, as we made much of our own fun. I would not stay here again, as there are too many other great resorts.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank parrottgirl
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

I regret that your stay here recently was not satisfactory at all. Your observations of our property, they have been shared with the hotel staff allowing us the opportunity to improve and correct these areas.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Check in was a nightmare... hint: pack a beach bag ready to go to the beach. We arrived at 9 a.m. did not get our room until 3 p.m. Others that arrived at 12:30 got their rooms at 1 p.m. ??? Beach and resort were clean and beautiful! Staff, not very friendly...one pool was signed " Adult Pool" but when we went there we were told to leave because you needed to be a "Preferred Guest" When we inquired about this we were told we needed to pay an additional $200.00 per night but others were told differently...$300.00 additional for their entire stay, $1500.00 additional for the week??? Reservations for restaurants...buy a bottle of wine...someone else loses their reservations??? Many other inconsistencies but we decided to let them roll off of our backs and have a fabulous time and enjoy the beautiful caribbean sea, the sun and the beach for a much needed vacation!!! BTW: this was my 5th trip to this same area of Mexico in the past 3 years!!!

1 Thank BennyStamper
Dear Sir / Madam,

Regarding your comment about the time that you room was ready; it is true that our check in time is 3:00pm sometimes when the availability allows the rooms can be given early. It is probably that the room given to another guests early was maybe from another category.

We regret that you were not well informed that this pool, you mentioned, is for Preferred guests only.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 27, 2010

After weeks and months of carfeul research we decided to spend our well deserved vacation at the Now Sapphire.
In a nut shell:
-If you can't tolerate the heat, do not go to this resort. The only place which is air conditioned throughout this resort is your room. None of the restaurants, nor the lobby is air conditioned.
- The pool was filthy and disgustingly green with algae. My family and I showered with yellow water running off of our hair and skin. it was such a disgrace. Next day pool was shut down, only to dump barrels of chlorine to fix the mess. I am still concerned for my health, as we were told the yellow color was due to a chemical misfunction which occured?????!!!!!!!
-Most of the front desk were extremely ignorant and did not even wear a smile. The rest of the resort was very friendly.
-None of the advertisements were real. I did not see any snorkelling, or kayaking. we were not shown around the hotel to know the locations.
-There was horrible music played in the lobby, it sounded more like music for a funeral than a fun resort. The night live music was nice.
-The food was horrible. The French restaurant kept you hungry for 30 mins before they brought you one piece of bread and butter. The soup took anothe 30 mins, all the waiters were running around but everyone was waiting for food. ... and when the food did come, it was mini portion, so very little, you would not feel half full. The rest of the restaurants were either closed every other night or you had to queue up at 5,30???? for a reservation.????? The buffet was disgusting, the same food every single night, absolutley a disgrace for a $3000 vacation I spent for my family.
Most nights and breakfasts we preferred to stay in our room and have room service.
-The location is absolutley breath taking, but such a shame that is mismanaged and put to waste with such poor management.
-The sea is full of jelly fish and people had been stung numbers of times.
- The fitness center was sooo hot and stuffy I could not even use it once. I doubt there was any a/c or ventilation.
-Look for a better value!!

1 Thank shabdew
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor.

I regret that your stay here recently did not meet your expectations. Your observations of our property, they have been shared with the hotel staff allowing us the opportunity to improve and correct these areas

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Econcierge
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed at this resort for 4 nights. We went with friends that booked the trip for 7 nights. On the day of our departure, they were jealous that we were leaving. The food is sub par at best. Be prepared to eat chips and salsa for most meals. The food in the "Fancy" resturants reminded me of my college dorm days. Oh... and don't agree to go to Coco Bongo or any other nigthclubs in Cancun. We were hounded for 3 of our 4 days by employees at Coco Bongo and at the hotel. They wanted money for something that we didn't do. It only took them three days to figure it out that we didn't use their services. Why wouldn't they have figured that out before they sent the dogs out on us to collect money? I forgot... don't wear your good bathing suits in the pools. Ours turned orange and the suits are ruined.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mandymariamyers
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripdavisor. I was disappointed to read your complaints and can assure you that all of your comments will be passed to the hotel team to rectify the issues raised. We take on board all customer feedback & will strive to improve all areas of our business through your constructive comments.

I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,145 reviews

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!