“Happy to be Home”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Covington, Kentucky
“Happy to be Home”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed at this resort for 4 nights. We went with friends that booked the trip for 7 nights. On the day of our departure, they were jealous that we were leaving. The food is sub par at best. Be prepared to eat chips and salsa for most meals. The food in the "Fancy" resturants reminded me of my college dorm days. Oh... and don't agree to go to Coco Bongo or any other nigthclubs in Cancun. We were hounded for 3 of our 4 days by employees at Coco Bongo and at the hotel. They wanted money for something that we didn't do. It only took them three days to figure it out that we didn't use their services. Why wouldn't they have figured that out before they sent the dogs out on us to collect money? I forgot... don't wear your good bathing suits in the pools. Ours turned orange and the suits are ruined.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mandymariamyers
NowSapphireRC, econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripdavisor. I was disappointed to read your complaints and can assure you that all of your comments will be passed to the hotel team to rectify the issues raised. We take on board all customer feedback & will strive to improve all areas of our business through your constructive comments.

I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

econcierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,278)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

We travelled all the way from London , England to stay in this 5* resort and were very much looking forward to 2 weeks of luxury . Sadly i'm afraid to say that overall we were disappointed by the Now Sapphire Riviera's definition of luxury.
Upon arrival , we had to wait several hours to get into our room (after an 11 hour flight!) and when we did eventually gain entry we found the rooms to smell musty and to be of quite a basic standard( I would rate them as 3* in Europe) The 'key' cards frequently didn't work and it took staff ages to correct the problem. On one occasion we returned to our room to find the chambermaid had left the door OPEN , yet when I reported this , reception were not remotely interested.
The restaurants were 'ok' ,none of them had air conditioning and the food was on the boring side and very repetitive- it was hard to differentiate between what was meant to be 'french' 'mediterranean; mexican' as they all served pretty much similar meals, service was painfully slow and the menus never changed in our 2 week stay! We queued one evening from 4.30pm for an hour to get a seat in the Japanese restaurant - not worth the wait as again the food was of average quality and rather predictable.
The swimming pool turned a rather interesting shade of green and no one in charge seemed to be interested in remedying this fact. (Our swimwear upon our return has all been binned as the orange stains from the pool water is permanent ) It took staff several days to restore the poolwater to its normal colour , which included the pool being shut altogether for most of one day ! When we made enquiries of the reception staff , no one knew why the poolwater was green or when the pool would reopen !
So all in all , our stay was 'ok' ish but did not meet our expectations of a supposed 5* resort !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kath_england_10
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripadvisor, I will address to the hotel staff in order to improve our quality and service.

Regret to hear that you were unable to difference between our restaurants, they are different concepts. Our specialty Restaurants; French, Japanese, Mediterranean have air conditioning, only the Market (Intl Buffet) and the Mexican are in front of the ocean and the breeze keeps them fresh.

The main pool changed the PH and during 3 days we have the water green, however we were informing our guests that the water was healty and not cause any damage to them, also we set up a bar in the activities pool, for those who did not want to be at the main pool. Unfortunately some swimwear changed of color, and we were washing them without cost, I do not know if you contacted the front desk and reported this to them.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your vacation, we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Econcierge
hershey pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

arrived 8/20 departed 8/26,at check in we were assigned room in middle of resort, being disabled not being able to walk far we upgraded to ocean view room, being with apple tour group we were offered upgrade at half price only 62.00 per might(372.00 total) after entering room, the worst musty smell ever, old furniture hard beds, requested egg crate mattress topper, took two days to receive topper, 1st day 30 yr old tv wasnt working, then they exchanged tv, 2nd tv volume was programmed so low couldnt hear, had to wait a another day to they reprogrammed tv! the refrigerator wouldnt work, was told sir they are not refrigerators just minbars! they replaced that, there was a whirlpool on balcony tried to use, no water! they had to come and connect water lines!, the next day we returned from beach and noticed everyone standing outside thier rooms, tried to enter room with key card and would not open, all other guest had same probem, what happened was a maid lost master key card and front desk cancelled everyones door lock codes!!!took 45 minutes to get back into room, next day we ordered lunch from room service and decided to take nap, put do not disturb sign on door an hour later the phone rings waking us, it was room service wanting the tray back!! he was calling from housephone outside our door!!! also main pool, water was dark dark green, could not see my hand in water! was told by mgr water was safe!!!! after 3rd day they put chemicals in to kill algea!! i must say the grounds were beautiful, the waiters fantastic, to bad the management sucks! this really could be a nice resort with well trained managers, new furniture and tv"s, please do not waste your money, there are many resorts in mexico much better than this hell hole! apple vacations had this resort listed as six golden apples, it should be one rotten apple! makes you wonder how much stock does apple have invested in this junkyard! c howard

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank craigthom
Dear Mr. Howard,

Thank you for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay.

Our Preferred Club Manager spoke with you several times in order to personally assist you, we did follow all your requests, in which each follow up was taken care of, however it seems that we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for your comments about our employees, I will share them with those involved.

I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

E Concierge
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

We are two parents with two boys, 14 and 16.
I confess! I use to read everything I can get about the destination where I want to go! Security, diseases, hotel quality, weather, and so on.
The travel agency here in Portugal talked to me about Gran Bahia but, when I arrived home, I researched the Internet and I found Now Sapphire. I read Tripadvisor and others and I chose the Now. Why? It is smaller – less rooms, less floors, less people -, most of the critics say very well of it and also that it doesn´t have queues for the restaurants (it is true) and, one thing I liked, the manager answered to the people that writes the critics (they care about OUR opinion).
No health problems with the food and yes we dinked the drinks with ice in the hotel. We also drank in the restaurants in the way to Chichen Itza and in Xcaret. Plenty of food all time with good quality, several types, and very good hygiene (clean, no flies, refrigerated or heated and a cook changing the trays all the time in the self service restaurant - buffet) and you can choose between the several restaurants and types of food. Improvements – in Tunisia they had a little snack for the kids (and parents) between 3.30pm and 17pm, there was a cook doing pancakes, there was ice creams and so on in the pool area, the kids liked it very much.
Nice beach, very clean, with a few algae that looked like pine tree leaves. They were cleaning the sand all the time. The kids didn´t like the algae in the water but we didn´t care. The sea water was warm and the swimming pool was warmer (like soup), nice and blue (most of the time). Good service of pool/beach towels. More than enough sun chairs/beds for everybody. Open bar by the pool.
One thing - we could go to the beach at any time but they “closed” it (no life guard) at 5 pm. The pool at 6 pm. We are used to go to the water till the sun goes down, and, please, put some garbage cans near the water, in the swimming pool area, so people can dispose the empty plastic cups and straws.
We got a few storms, half an hour of heavy rain and then SUN again. Warm all the time.
Large rooms, with large bed or beds (we had one single bed and one twin beds rooms). I don´t like soft beds so no complaints here. Good conditioned air and fans. I didn´t like the ice machine in the outside of the apartment, in the corridor, too noisy at night. The refrigerator had free drinks always (water, cola, sprite, beer, juice (I didn´t like the juice)). Full, most of the time. Nice free room service. We used it when we arrived late from Chichen Itza.
Much less mosquitoes than I thought but I used repellent at the end of the day – my wife and the kids didn´t – they were bitted a few times– me too, once, by a mosquito in my room at night (I hunted and killed it after that, I hate them) – the room servant must have left the door open when at night she was there to open the beds and see if everything was ok. We have mosquitoes here in Portugal too but they are “healthier”.
Any security problem with the money, cameras, and so on. We used the safe box in the rooms but even with the things we left here and there nothing happened. We use to leave a little back pack with money, rooms electronic card keys, glasses and the photo camera (expensive one) near the chairs in the swimming pool area and nothing happens.
The show, most of the times in English, was at 9 pm. A little early for us, maybe at 10.00 or 10.30 pm would be a better time.
One thing we would like to know is how many pesos is a “normal” tip. We don´t have a clue, even now. We didn´t know how much we should give as a tip.
All the employees were very professional and very friendly with or without tips.
If we didn´t need to fly 9 hours, each way, packed in a small seat (and if we haven´t Algarve and Alentejo beaches so near) we would like to return again and again, and maybe we will.
Thank you for the pleasant stay to all the Now Sapphire employees.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank valmeida
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for posting your comments on tripadvisor, We are very happy to know you had a great stay with us. Thanks for your feedback given about our property and staff, we really appreciate all of our guests’ comments and share them with the hotel staff to improve our service in all the possible ways.

We hope to welcome you again very soon at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

albany, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Loved it!
My husband, myself & our 3 & 5 yr old girls made it here after a hellish 1 night stay @ sandos playacar (stay away, if you have even an ounce of class). We were cosidering this hotel right b4 the name change from paradisus to now. Because of the reviews we opted to not try it. But we inevitably ended up here and were kicking ourselves for not choosing it the first time.
So my ta got us an amazing deal for a family of 4 $180per nite...amazing!
Check in was pleasant, they didn't have our voucher but it was resolved qjuick enuf. Very friendly!
We were in a preferred bldg (one near the beach bar) great location. Room was clean, spacious, fridge well
stocked, loved the sodas in glass bottles til my 3 yr old dropped/broke one. The beds were slightly too firm but.
Not dreadful.

We left our girls at the kids club which worked for them for short durations....got our stuff unpacked & headed for the pool, which was large/stunning. We made friends quickly at the swim up bar. Bartenders were awesome. Pool was not overcrowded. It might be a little challenging to get a prime pool chair late am. There were towels on most. We always dropped our personal belongings on our way to bfast. The pool tiles were in need of some maintenence, some were missing or loose. The main pool while the busiest was relaxing, kids were well behaved. Drink service was good all but one day (non-existant).
Beach was average....full of seaweed. It was relaxing to sit by but not my kind of beach for swimming. Not the resorts fault.
Breakfast/lunch buffets both good. Service was always great. They would happily serve my girls hot tea or a tiny bit of coffee. They were extra sweet to kids!

Dinner was always good. Asian was fantastic! We took the kids & they loved it! The only dinner they didn't sleep thru.
Had the Mexican our last nite, food good, service was ridicuously slow.
We liked this resort a lot. We generally do 5* adults only ai like our fave excellence, if we were to travel w the kids we would come back!

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank DivaMommy028
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for staying with us on your recent visit to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and for sharing your comments on your experience. I always share all the comments with the hotel staff in order to know our guests´satisfaction.

Food & Beverage Manager and the bartenders will be happy to know they were able to assist you during your vacation.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the near future

Mount Arlington, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I had been here when it was a Sol Melia property and there definitely was a difference. The room has a musty odor, I asked for a humidifier and was told one was coming but it never showed up. The staff and wait staff are still extremely warm and helpful but the management of the resort is off. My biggest issue is the restaurants. Two at a time were closed, which limited our options and the same two restaurants closed twice within the one week period that we stayed. So we never made it to the Japanese one. We had to dine twice in the Capri, which was fine except their food was not that good. My daughter's fish was dried out and my steak was dead. The menu stays the same everyday so again, your options are limited. If you are paying for 6 restaurants, then you should have your choice of six restaurants, not three. We tried to eat at the Grill but it rained both times so we were unable to dine there. Also, the last time I was there, there was more entertainment. The resort had a nightly show, around 9, salsa music played in the lobby every night and then for after hours, there was the disco. The movies on the beach was new but between the rain and the movie choices, we did not participate. My daughter also caught a bug and has been sick for four days up to and including today. She is not able to keep any food down. I originally thought it was the senotes she went swimming but I saw in another review during this August, that someone caught a bug also so now I am wondering.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank slongo
NowSapphireRC, econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor, I wil share them with the hotel management.

On behalf of the hotel, I apologize if we did not meet your expectations during your stay; we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

The hotel operator changed last May 2010, we have modified some standards to improve our quality and services, which have been very well received, however we understand that there will be exceptions that we hope to be accepted by our guests.

I woud like to comment when we have some rains the Grill, the menu is served in the Market Café, I apologize if you were not well informed about this.

I hope your daughter is better now, we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

Just got back from 7 day vacation. We wanted to leave half way through. Had to wait 4 hours for our room to be ready. The manager Javier just kept telling us the room is not ready and did not give us any idea when it would be so we had to keep coming back and waiting in a line over and over. When we finally got our room the fridge wasn't fully stocked and it broke the next day. Every morning was same bad buffet with no AC. The food in the restaurants was very good but the service was horrible. They take forever to bring you your drinks and food. The worst part of the trip was when we came back to our room and found money missing from our beach bag that we had left in the room. We were only gone a few hours for dinner and we ALWAYS lock everything up in the safe but this time we forgot about the money in the pocket of the beach bag. When we came back the bed was made and the money was gone. I would understand if we left the money out in plain sight but it was inside the pocket where you would of had to search through the bag in order to find it. After that we knew for sure the cleaning staff was going through our stuff. We reported it to Javier and he said to check back and they would let us know what they were going to do. When we came back he was rude and didn't have an answer for us. We asked him to call us and leave a message when they knew what they were going to do. He said "sure" and we never heard anything after that. Thanks for nothing Javier! Also, if you have a white bathing suit don't go in the pool or you will get orange stains that won't come out. Still not sure what they are but I'm sure it was from the pool. The one suit that I only worn to swim in the ocean didn't end up with the stains. This also happened to my wife and other guests at the resort.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jshwags
Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor, it is very important to know our guest´s satisfaction during their vacation in our hotel.
We sincere regret that we did not fulfill your expectations during your stay with us. I do not know if you make a report about your lost, the hotel has a procedure through Security Department, they make an investigation with the opening hours of the doors and give the result to our guests. If you wish to contact me, please send an email to the hotel and I will verify this with our Security Department.
Once again thank you and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again and show our quality of service that characterized us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,044 reviews

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!