“LUXURY are you kidding?”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wenona, Illinois
“LUXURY are you kidding?”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Well to start off with this is the rudest Resort I have ever traveled to, and I have done alot of traveling! After you check in you are nothing to them and they treat you like an inconvenience. We were talked into upgrading and when we were taken to that room the air conditioner and refrig didn't work! It took us 4 hours complaining to get a diffferent room and Apple did nothing to help unless we were going to buy excursions to boost their commission. Got the 2nd room, still hot but acceptable UNTIL after our first night during second day we both started to itch uncontrollably. We tried everything, long story got home went to ER, they did skin scrapings...SCABIES!!! Thanks NOW Sapphire and APPLEVACATIONS (who owns them) YOU SUCK! I will get my money back or I have been advised to sue and I will! How disquisting!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DeniseK12
NowSapphireRC, econcierge at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor. It is very imporant for us to know our guests satisfaction, in your particular case to know that we did not meet your expectations it is very bad for us, because we do our best to make feel comfortable our guests.

Our hospitality and friendly staff is very well known with our guests, and I apologize if you did not experienced the quality of service that characterizes us, I assure you I will share your comments with the hotel staff in order to make the necessary corrections.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

econcierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,423)
  • Polish first
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2010

This place is simply amazing. My husband and I, along with our two kids (12 and 11), had the time of our lives. The moment we arrived at the resort we were greeted with Champagne, bottled water, and cold towels. Our Garden View Junior Suite was beautiful and our mini bar was always stocked. The resort itself is kept spotless and the people that work there couldn't be friendlier. We spent the entire week just hanging out by the pool or at the beach. I would absolutely recommend the Spa services as it was just a beautiful experience. I have read some of the bad reviews and had a completely different experience there. The bartenders, waiters, and other staff are really there to please. There's always something to do in or by the pool. The kids loved the trivia and pool games and my husband took a cigar rolling class. We did find, however, that if you wanted to get one of the pool cabana beds that you had to "reserve" one at, like, 2:00 a.m. with some shoes, towels, etc. They go fast and people are pretty hardcore about getting them. The food was good and we very much enjoyed the breakfast buffet. There was never any wait to get into the restaurants and we were seated right away. The Japanese restaurant is the only one where you have to wait in line for reservations, but it was worth it. One more tip for the airport in Cancun. There will be people in uniforms that will approach you and say they are from "Hospitality" and want to help you find where you are going. They are time-share people. Be wary of them. All in all, this resort is spectacular. We would definitely go back again.

1 Thank JustBackFromMexico
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. All the comments are shared with the hotel staff

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the very near future.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Have just returned from a week at Now Sapphire. We booked last minute & received a fantastic deal, but would have paid more for such great service. We chose to upgrade to Preferred Club - worth it for the free internet alone if you like to check out local trips & deals on the spot. Hotel is set in landscaped grounds beautifully maintained, right on glorious beach, raked daily. Rooms are huge, and spotlessly clean. Food choices were terrific - choice of 6 restuarants at night, and food was awesome. Breakfast buffet was almost overwhelming - and it never got old! Preferred Club pool was a calm relief when main pool became too noisy. Spa was great value and massages were terrific. Hotel staff were all without fail pleasant and helpful. We felt totally spoiled & pampered at all times. Our only regret? That we didn't upgrade to ocean view - we would never have gotten out of that balcony jacuzzi!
We can't recommend this hotel highly enough, and can't wait to return for another week of total luxury.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments on tripdavisor. We thank you immensely for making this exception and taking the time to share those gracious comments with others.

The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is pleased to know that the genuine pampering we provide to our guests is well appreciated and recognized.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun soon.

Harrisburg, PA
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My family and I just returned from a week at the Now Sapphire. Overall, we had a wonderful time and our complaints are very minor. Here I will hit some of the major points.
Food - My family and I hit up the buffet a lot for breakfast and lunch but not so much for dinner. I have no complaints about breakfast or lunch at the buffet. Sometimes the dinner selection was hit or miss, but there is always 24 hour room service! Service for drinks was very prompt - as soon as your cup was empty, someone was there to fill it again. For dinners, we hit all of the restaurants. Our favorite by far was the French. The Grill was pretty good, but it is outside so be prepared for mosquitoes. One thing that I was very pleased with was that each restaurant (with the exception of The Grill) had at least one vegetarian selection on the menu.
Room - We had a wonderful room. We were in building 14 which was relatively close to everything and had a view of the ocean. Our room was always clean and well stocked with soda and beer. Here is where one of my minor complaints lies. It took a couple of days for the maid to stock our fridge with enough water. She would leave us with one bottle, but that was not enough for my husband and I to drink and brush our teeth. I did write the maid a note and after that she brought us more. Like I said, that is a very minor complaint. The beds are a little hard, but I was usually too exhausted to notice.
Beach - There is seaweed on the beach. But the hotel does a wonderful job cleaning it up. So this is not a complaint, just an observation. I was usually up by 7 or 7:30 each morning so I would trek down to the beach or the pool to get seats. I was always glad that I did. The seats (especially under the palapas on the beach) filled up very quickly.
Pool - Here again, you have to reserve seats in the morning or you will not get one. And the stones that surround the pool get very very hot by mid day. Make sure that you have flip flops. My other complaint is the swim up bar at the pool. Too many kids. I saw kids that were under 18 being served alcohol. Young children in their inner tubes and floaties would be sitting on the seats at the bar. Somehow this needs to be monitored to make it a more enjoyable experience for the adults. The other bar at the pool was very nice. Sometimes service was slow if it was a very busy day, but the staff (particularly Angel) always had a great attitude with smiles on their faces.
Grounds - Were always very clean, well maintained and beautifully landscaped. No complaints here.
Overall – A great vacation destination for the family. The staff was friendly and attentive, accommodations were comfortable, food was good, the grounds were beautiful and the weather was wonderful. What more can you ask for when you are on vacation?
As a side note, we did spend one of our days on an excursion with the Alltournative company. It was one of the highlights of our trip and I will write a separate review for that.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank for your sharing your comments on tripadvisor, I will always address all the comments to the hotel staff in order to see our guest´s satisfaction or sometimes to improve our facilities and service.

Our Chef will be happy to know you enjoyed the food at the French and Reef Restaurant.

Thank for your comment about the seaweed, which is pick up daily by the tractor at the beach.

Once again thank you for sharing your important comments with us, we look forward to welcome you again

Warm regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Just got back from our honeymoon and we had a great time. We were greated with cold towels and champagne upon arrival and then taken over to the preferred check in. The first room we received was oceanside with a great view but on the first floor with a beach bar directly in front, we asked for a different room and were promptly moved to the third floor oceanside. Room was nice, mini bar was restocked daily (although we did have to call a few times for them to restock the mini liquor bottles) and the a/c worked well. Bed was comfortable and plenty big and we had enough closet space. The restaurants for the most part were very good with the one exception being the French restaurant which had horrible service and bad food. The outdoor grill, mediterrian, and hibachi restaurant were all excellent and the service is good. We usually went down 30 minutes before we wanted to eat to make reservations and then hit the bar for a few drinks and never had any problems waiting.

We avoided the buffets (except for breakfast where you dont have a choice). The breakfast buffet wasnt great, but servicable, I would recommend the omelet station. The lunch buffet isnt horrible but we ate everyday outside at the grill. The shepards tacos and hawaiian pizza were excellent and the service is prompt. plus they like to feed you drinks. The tables are shaded for the most part as well. I couldnt understand why more people didnt take advantage of this option. They also have a burger station down by the main pool.

The only real advantage to the preferred club that is worth the money is the preferred pool. It isnt an adults only pool anymore but the kids who were in this section were well behaved for the most part. We never had any problems getting a bali bed and the pool here offers a more relaxed and quiet atmosphere. Israel runs this pool and does a fantastic job making sure your drink is never empty, he usually brought over another one before the last one was finished.

The beach was nice, there is some seeweed which they clean up a few times a day. We only went in the ocean twice and got stung by jellyfish both times so we avoided it after that. The main pool wasnt overcrowded and getting chairs for the day didnt seem like it would be a problem. The nightlife here is lacking, the main lobby bar closes at 12 and the disco pub was pretty much full of teenagers. The liquor selection was also very good, they had the typical american liquors and not bottom shelf liquors.

The grounds were well kept and clean and the pool looked awesome at night. We had a great time there and would def. go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bassman16
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the team at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, we wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our facilities, staff, food and hotel areas. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed a very relaxed and comfortable stay with us.

Regarding your comment abou the French restaurant; I will share it with F&B manager as well as the Restaurants Manager, because the service of this restaurant is very well recognized by our guests, it is very bad to know that you could not experienced it .

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours
tulsa, oklahoma
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Returned this week from a short visit to the Now Sapphire. We were there 3 days/3nights and had a fun time. There were good and bad things about the resort, but I think the good definitely outweighed the bad. The hotel itself was beautiful and kept ridiculously clean for the main lobbies and restaurants being open air. The service was outstanding and almost every employee we came across was helpful and very friendly. The pool was fantastic, really huge and not at all overcrowded. We never had a problem getting lounge chairs at the pool or the beach. The beach did have a lot of seaweed, but the water and sand were beautiful. I did hear someone say they had been stung by a jellyfish, but my friend and I both got in the ocean a few times and didn't have any issue. There were several people playing in the water. The food was average, I've had better and had worse. We did wait in a short line in order to get reservations at the Japanese restaurant and it wasn't worth it. I didn't think the Japanese chef made it as fun as most hibachi bars I've been to and the food was pretty average, the chicken and shrimp were good, but the steak was no bueno. The rest of the meals we ate at the buffet - it was all pretty average, nothing spectacular, but always something okay to eat. We heard from several people there that the Mexican restaurant was really yummy., but didn't have a chance to try. The drinks were great, never had to wait long to get a delicious alcoholic beverage at any of the bars. The beach bar was not great, but the main lobby bar, pool bar, and bar at the Reef Grill were great. My only big complaint was the check-in time. They don't have enough people working the front desk and we waited about 20 minutes, and even then our room wasn't ready despite requesting early check-in (and we were only an hour early). Of course when we came back to check in, we again had to wait in line. I walked past the front desk a few times during our stay and there was always a line. Also, the beds are really hard. You can request mattress toppers, which they were quick to deliver and remake the beds, but it really didn't help. My back was pretty sore when we left and I'm not sure I could have spent a whole week sleeping like that. The nightly shows and entertainment were decent. They had a good band playing at the beach the first night we were there, and several people enjoyed the nightly movies on the beach. We weren't up late enough to check out the fun pub/disco for late night entertainment. All in all, it was a great vacation. We spent the days laying out at the pool and beach and reading and drinking and just relaxing. I think you get what you pay for and it's not a 5 star resort... we got a great deal on Apple.com and I would definitely go back if we could get another good deal.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank lindsnb
USA
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just came back from one week vacation. It was a huge dissapoitment. The worst was the quallity and choices of food in the main buffet. To make it short, anybody who tried Ponderossa would have a pretty good idea of the food you will get exposed to in the buffet. The main buffet is not air conditioned. It makes the whole experience even worse. There is no other choices for breakfast and lunch besides pool side hamburgers and hot dogs. The restaurants were just a little better. Even though there were air conditioned, it was still very warm and uncomfartable there. Also keep in mind, you will have to pay extra for sushi, lobster, and they will make you buy a bottle of wine if you woul want to seat outside at the Mexican Restaurant.
Few more things. Had ants in our room, that could not be exterminated. Had to pay $10/hr. to have tennis court lighted. Some of the tiles on the bottom of the main swimming pool were broken and created hazardous sharp edges. By midnight main lobby light and fans were shut down and the only other choice was a disco which was too loud and for a very young crowd. Entartainment was very low quality. We loved beach side movies, though.
Bottom line, we have been in many 4, 5, and 6- apple resorts. This one was clearly the worst. I would rate it 3 red apples. I have heard Apple owns this facility since the beginning of this year. I wonder if it has anything to do with how overrated this resort is...

4 Thank sportsfan65
#24 of 175 in Cancun
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!