“Quality Family Time”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Quality Family Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I along with our 2 adult children and their significant others were at this resort in June of 2013. We had a great time. The resort is beautiful and clean. The service was adequate. I didn't care for the fact that there was no beach service, if you needed anything you had to either walk down the beach to the beach bar or up to the pool bar for a drink. There also was not any type of food area outside around pool or beach area. All in all we had a great time and would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mbthornburg
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Madam,

It is a great satisfaction for us to know that we exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your visit with us. It is very gratifying for Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun to read throughout your comments and realize that your vacation was pleasant enough to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for choosing our beautiful resort and we hope to be able to serve you and your family again.

Cordially yours,

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,280)
  • Polish first
Kamloops, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just returned from the Now Sapphire Riviera for a friend's wedding. First of all you have to travel down this bumpy road for 15 minutes, which made me sick. We had terrible service, we asked to speak to the manager and nothing was done. Our friends are travel agents/wedding planners and were at the resort planning the wedding. They spoke to management for us as well, they apologized to them for everything but not to us. The only reason they apologized to them is because they recommend this hotel to there clients and they didn't want to lose there business.

It's suppose to be an all inclusive, yet at some restaurants you have to pay for wine.
All of the buildings are run down and not kept up to date. My spouse went to the wrong room one night by accident (very similar room #'s and all buildings look the same) and staff let him into this room without verifying who's room this was first. Yet the hotel blamed us and sent security to speak to us about it.

We did not feel safe AT ALL in this resort. We ended up spending $1200 extra to go home four days early as we were scared after a couple of incidents that happened with hotel staff.

I have done a lot of travelling and stayed at a lot of hotels and never had such a horrible trip. I will never return to this hotel and I will be telling everyone about the terrible experience we had. If your thinking of booking a trip here, I highly recommend you spend the extra money and stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso or Fairmont Mayakoba.

Room Tip: Choose a different resort
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
16 Thank Scout_4477S
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor about your stay at our resort.

We sincerely regret that we did not fulfill your expectation. Your very valuable comments have been shared with the operations staff. We would like to comment that you spoke with our resident manager; however your valuable comments have been addressed to them.

Thank you again very much for these comments that enable us to correct and improve these kind of circumstances. We hope you give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our service.

With kind regards,

Traversetolo, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Just arrived from very cold northern michigan. The resort is absolutely beautiful. Road in is horrific with potholes. So far service has been great from most of the staff. A couple of the females at the front desk were rather put out. We went to the paramour tonight and were told there was an hour wait. When we asked to sit on the amazing outside cabana we were told we could be seated immediately if we purchased a bottle of wine. (Only thing not included in the all inclusive) we decided to splurge and ordered a bottle so we could sit there. In the meantime several tables sat empty on the inside of the restaurant so I felt we had been scammed a bit. However, my real issue was that the food was so bland. The menu was written well but didn't even come close in flavor. When I see fou gras (sp) I think yummy and there really was none on the plate with the duck confit. Every item we had was Luke warm. The shrimp soup was horrible. The shrimp entre was surprisingly good but again Luke warm. Margaritas have been yummy. Will let you know how spa is tomorrow.
For rest of our stay I'm sticking with tacos and beans as that has been good,
I'm not sure what happened to our preferred status we only seem to be granted half the time. I will let you know if that is resolved tomorrow.
To be continued....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Trish10721
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through tripadvisor. Your important feedback has been shared with all the executive & operations staff. Our guests' observations are more than welcomed, as they enable us to improve & correct the services we render to all our fine clientele, among which you are.

We sent you a DM through Tripadvisor to know your name and room # to contact you; however you have not contacted us. We hope you are enjoyoing your stay.

Have a wonderful day,

Cordially yours,

Wallkill, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned from a January stay. What makes this resort is the staff. Except for the VIP services and one surly waiter everyone was great, friendly and accommodating. The resort itself is clean and lovely and the staff is always working on keeping it in good shape. When you go skip the VIP service because they waste your time and give you worthless coupons. Also, be careful of the food. One in my party ended up with food poisoning. The food is also pretty tasteless and cafeteria quality. The beach is not the clear Caribbean ocean you look forward to and it is not situated in an area that is easy to get around. If you want to go anywhere you must make an appointment a day in advance and pay an expensive fee to go anywhere, including a ride into town. Also, its amazing that avocados are Mexico's second largest export and there's not a fresh avocado to be found at the resort. The guacamole id some mayonnaise like spread that must come from a can. Disgusting. However, the drinks are good. Another downfall is that there is really no place to get a snack except a coffee bar that has stale pretzels. It would have been nice to be able to get some chips or pizza without going into the restaurant. I don't think I would recommend the resort. You can also tell whose the pampered preferred club members.

Room Tip: Unless you get a preferred club room you get what you get.
4 Thank pbteach
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of our resort and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

Your review and comments are very much appreciated by the entire staff to which we share it with. We appreciate your feedback about the staff; we are sharing your review with UVC Supervisor so that together as a team we can improve our service that you reviewed.

We would like to comment that there is a snack restaurant, the Bluewater, which serves Pizza, Burgers, etc, and our International Buffet is open for Breakfast, dinner and lunch.

We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay at the resort. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and restore your confidence in our service.

Sincerely yours,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Now Sapphire to attend a family wedding. Overall the resort was clean and the staff was extremely friendly.

ROOM: The rooms are grouped into 14 smaller villas which cuts down on potential noise issues. We stayed in a garden view, non-preferred room in buidling 12. Our room was toward the middle of the resort and we did not think the walk was long at all. Our room was clean, well serviced throughout the day and much larger than expected. The view is nothing special but we expected as much. We had a few minor room issues: sudden and sometimes drastic changes in water temperature (hot to cold back to hot), a constant damp feeling despite turning on the A/C, our phone didn't work for the first two days, and we were missing a few amenities (umbrella and blow dryer). We called about the last two and were promptly provided a working phone, umbrella and blow dryer. We didn't find any of these issues to be upsetting. Overall we really liked our room!

Beach: the oceanfront was very narrow compared to other resorts I have stayed at. Only enough room for two rows of chairs - no hamocks or beds on the beach. There was quite a lot of seaweed, but to be fair it rained 6 out of 7 days we were there which may have increased the wash-up. We constantly saw staff out in the machine that scoops it up. Beware of offers to do excursions on the beach! Another family member lost a few hundred on a snorkle excursion that was advertised as being offered by the resort but was not.

Food: I ate dinner at all 6 restaurants and found things I liked and disliked about them all. (Disclaimer - I am a vegetarian; at least one vegetarian item was offered at each restaurant for each course which I appreciated) LEMONGRASS (asian - has two sections): hibachi was fantastic, regular dinner was fantastic as well - loved the sushi and real fried ice cream. PARAMOURE (french): this was my least favorite; bruchetta was terrible, french onion soup was standard, entree was terrible. CIBU (mediterranian): this was ok; salad was good and there was a salad bar I enjoyed as well, entree was average. FRESCO (mexican): this was ok as well, cheese turnover appetizer was awesome, and cannot get enough of the guacamole, but the soup and entree were gross. BLUEGRASS (american grill): another favorite, good salads and entrees. BUFFET (for breakfast, lunch or dinner): I could always find something I liked, even if it was just a salad. Hidden gem = COFFEE BAR: I went every morning for a fresh espresso and muffin; it stays open fairly late for warm pretzels, cookies and carrot cake cupcakes in addition to coffee. ROOM SERVICE: ordered 4 nights; took at least 30 minutes but always arrived hot and tasted good.

Couple other food comments - BEWARE that the meal you receive is often quite different than what the description provides. The other couples/family on our trip actually made a game out of the situation to try and guess what we would actually get. This does not hold true for everything, but ask questions if you are unsure. Also, the restaurants do not take reservations and on average we had to wait 1-2 hours. Also, portion sizes for appetizers, soup/salad, and entree are for 1 person and are often very small. We almost always hit the buffet after going to the other restaurants to top off our meals.

Pool: There was just one non-preferred pool but it was quite large. Swim-up bar was fine and amenities in pool were as expected (a few beds and shallow areas. Big disappointment - NO HOT TUB!

Preferred vs. Non - We read reviews before we went and thought that most guests recommended to not get preferred because it was not worth it. We were non-preferred and did not notice a difference. There was a preferred lounge that was ALWAYS empty! The preferred pool was ALWAYS empty as well. You probably could have gone in as a non-preferred and no one would have been the wiser. I do not regret not being preferred.

Wedding: there were A LOT of weddings while we were there. 2 on Saturday, 3 Monday and 2 Tuesday and those are just the ones I saw. They all (except ours by a few minutes) got rained out and had to be moved inside. Our service was outside but the reception was in a ballroom. I thought they did a pretty good job considering the weather.

Major disappointments: As mentioned, it rained 6 out of 7 days we were there. I do not and cannot blame the resort for this, however, we VERY QUICKLY ran out of things to do. The staff tried so hard to keep everyone entertained with activities (board games, zumba, yoga, bingo, a band, dancing, etc.) but it got old after one day. Obviously most of the resort was exposed to the outside, so everyone congregated into the lounge area which got extremely congested. The other disappointment was the access road which is mentioned a lot in other reviews - it is totally flooded and very bumpy. It adds at least 20-25 minutes onto any trip, which made us not even want to leave to avoid it totally. Not the end all be all, but quite annoying.

Value: I feel like we paid a LOT to stay here, especially in comparison to my 3 other trips to Mexico. I expected more for my money, but that is not to say it wasn't a nice resort.

Overall: food was hit or miss, resort was clean but small, vacation experience was just ok. I, unfortunately, would not stay at Now Sapphire again. This was my 4th trip to this area of Mexico and probably my most disappointing, only partially due to weather. I give a lot of credit to every level of staff as they work so hard to respond to your requests, keep you entertained and maintain the resort. Even if the weather had been perfect, compared to other resorts I just did not find this one very exciting. Had I not been with my family and some amazing friends to keep me entertained, I would have really disliked my stay.

Mold: as a quick response to comments about mold, we did not have any in our room although it did smell musty (which I find normal for Mexico). There is mold on the outside of some of the villas.

Room Tip: Stick with non-preffered! Not a lot of difference between the two.
1 Thank Jaclyn K
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of our resort and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to attend your family wedding.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through the Tripadvisor community. We value our guests´ feedback because this is the way we can know about our distinguished guests experiences as well as to have the opportunity to improve our service

We would like to comment that the road is currently repaired and will be completed in the next weeks. Sorry to hear that the raining days did not let you to enjoy your stay.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours

Bloomington, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

While the checking in/checking out process took excruciatingly longer than it should have, the rooms we finally ended up with were great. The lobbies, pool, restaurants (Lemongrass was our favorite, followed by Blue Gill) bars and rooms were fantastic. A few times, the restaurant staff were not as kind as they should have been. But besides those few hitches, I would definitely recommend for a couple or a family--we had adjoining rooms with our teenagers which made it so relaxing. What a wonderful property!

Room Tip: Try to get close to the main pool/lobby/restaurant area. The buildings are spread out and it can be...
4 Thank ConBakDoug
Dear Sir

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing again our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos!

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. Our team is well known for providing exceptional service; sorry to hear you felt that the service was not up to standard as it should have been.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We look forward to host you again.

With kind regards,

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Firstly, I would like to thank the staff at NOW Sapphire for all their help, and for the great service to our 45 guests that attended and stayed at the resort. Ramon and Anel and the best wedding co-ordinators, and I would highly recommend them with all your wedding needs. The ceremony on the beach and dinner reception was done to perfection, and everyone had a great time. As for the resort, the beach and all the restaurants and buffet are amazing. The pool area was always hopping with entertainment and music, and the pool bar was a big plus. The accommodations were fantastic. We had a preferred room facing the beach in building 4. The view was spectacular every morning with the sun rise. Rooms were very clean, and was cleaned daily. All the staff were very helpful and very friendly as you walked by them. And the big plus was the nightly entertainment. The shows and bands/music were worth watching. They have very talented entertainers and musicians, and made the entertainment after dinner something to look forward to. All in all, we could not be happier for deciding to have our wedding at NOW Sapphire. We had 45 people attend, and everyone loved the resort!! Thanks NOW Sapphire!! Btw, don't forget to trty the spa…we went a couple of times and was to die for! We'll be back next year! Dave and Tara

Room Tip: Go preferred if you want an ocean front room!
3 Thank David S
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. It has been a pleasure to be a part of your wedding. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photo!

We are so happy to read you had a wonderful wedding ceremony and our wedding department was great during this special day in you life. We will share your gracious comments with the staff, especially with Ramon, who will be glad to read your feedback.

It is great to read you enjoyed the Spa; we will share your comment with the staff.

We really hope to welcome you back soon for your first wedding anniversary!

Warmest regards,

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
#13 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,045 reviews

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!