“Very Happy with our first All-Inclusive Experience!!!”

Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Happy with our first All-Inclusive Experience!!!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Pros:
Our experience at Now Sapphire Cancun was fabulous! The service staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our favorites were Fermin (The Ferminator!!), and Cesar and Juan at "Sand", the beach bar. They were very informative, attentive, and fun!!! Facilities were clean and grounds were well-kempt. The entertainment was fabulous! Saturday night offered and Urban Show (beat-boxers and break dancers, all VERY talented!) and Sunday night offered a Cirque-Show. We loved that we could wander in late and watch for a bit, or stay for the whole show.
We also enjoyed some of the included (free) excursion-esque activities such as a morning bike ride to Puerto Morelos as well as ocean kayaking.
The food was quite good! Our favorite was the Hibachi Grill, "Lemongrass". "Paramour", the French restaurant, was pretty good as well. I thought that the breakfast buffet was excellent, complete with an omelette station! We didn't get to try the Mexican restaurant, but we heard good things. We loved the pool activities: water volleyball, aqua aerobics, etc. The swim-up pool bar was very convenient and fun. Occasionally a nice gentleman in a straw hat would drive a kayak through the pool, offering oodles of fresh fruit on sticks! The 24-hour room service was definitely a plus. We had an ocean-front room with a jacuzzi tub on our patio! So relaxing and romantic!! Overall our group agreed that the resort was quite beautiful!

Cons:
The only criticisms are as follows: The ice machines did not work. The phone stopped working in our friend's room after the first day. Some minor details needed attention, e.g. our patio light would not turn on. We did not particularly care for the Bluewater Grill. They were out of all the good stuff at the hour we visited (shrimp cocktail, ceviche) and the food we did order (nachos, steak sandwiches, chix quesadillas) were just not good.

Regardless, we had an AMAZING time here and overall we loved our experience and would definitely consider returning!!!

*Tip*- If you love ketchup (as I do), you may notice that the ketchup offered in the buffet restaurant is NOT "Heinz" as it says on the bottle. Whatever they put in there is very runny and tastes more like hot sauce. However you can get Heinz ketchup in packets when you order room service. I saved a few packets for my hash browns at breakfast. :D

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Shannon B
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos!

The resort’s team wants to thank you for allowing us to be part of your holiday vacation. We are truly grateful for your detailed review. Your feedback will be shared with the staff, especially with Cesar, Juan and Fermin.

It is great to hear you enjoyed the bike tour to Puerto Morelos as well as the kayak tour. Our executive chef will be happy to hear you liked the room service and the fresh fruit on sticks at the main pool.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities, services and we wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,391)
  • Polish first
St. Louis
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Now Sapphire May 8-13, 2013 and travelled with my three cousins age range from 44-50. This resort was recommended by a travel agent and I am glad we went with her recommendation! I am traveling back to Puerto Morelos next week and wanted to stay at the Now Sapphire again but they did not have any ocean front rooms available, so my boyfriend and I booked at the Now Jade. I have never returned to the same resort chain ever. Now Sapphire was such a great experience that I would have returned in a heartbeat!!!!! I hope Now Jade offers the same quality of service as Now Sapphire ~ we will find out next week!

I also picked the Now Sapphire because of three simple perks:

1) no reservations for dinner
2) no towel card
3) no wrist bands

Why don't ALL resorts offer these three simple things? I am on vacation and I don't want to have to worry about making sure I make it to dinner on time, nor do I want to carry around a stupid card to get a towel. And if I lose that card, then I have to pay money to get another towel card. At Now Sapphire you can get all the towels you want! You can get 5 at one time if you really think you need that many. And wrist bands just give you a tan line, who wants that? :)

We booked this trip 7 months in advance and got a spectacular deal on the upgrade to the Preferred Club Ocean Front room vs. the Non-Preferred Tropical View room. It was less than $100 more per person for the 4 night stay to upgrade and we were all so happy we did. We arranged our own private transfers which I have done every other time I have been to Riviera Maya and love that there are no stops at other resorts so the drive to the resort was about 15 or 20 minutes. We hired Entertainment-Plus. I have used them 4 times now, and they are always on time and always very friendly. As soon as we arrived we were taken to the Preferred Club Lounge and offered a beverage as soon as we stepped in the door. There were snacks, drinks, and computers in the Lounge. When you pay for Preferred you get free wifi in the lounge and in the room which came in very handy for all of us as we liked to touch base with friends back in the states. The room wasn't ready so we were told to go enjoy lunch and check back in a few hours later. We decided to take a walk around the resort and we ran into Kevin from Canada. He was there on vacation with his wife, but when he saw that we were wandering around looking lost, he told us that he would give us a tour of the resort and point out the restaurants, bars, etc. Thanks Kevin! After lunch we were told our rooms were ready. We were all soooooo very happy to have paid for the upgrade to the ocean front rooms! The view was absolutely beautiful!! Both rooms were on the first floor which I usually don't like to stay in because of the noise from the rooms above, but we did not near a peep from the above neighbors once during our 4 night stay. We were also concerned about being so close to the noise of the pool / daily entertainment but we were never bothered by noise. We did not even hear the usual clatter from room service as they moved chairs around to clean. Maybe the walls and floors of the resort are of high quality, because I have stayed at other resorts and you heard everything from the next door neighbor, even their conversations, but this room was solid!

Room service was outstanding, every day our room was cleaned and re-stocked with fresh towels and drinks in the mini fridge. The beds were super comfortable, the a/c worked great, and there was plenty of room to hang clothing and drawer space. The resort was clean, we never saw trash laying around, never saw trash cans overflowing, and we never encountered un-friendly staff our entire stay. I read some reviews that complain about unfriendly staff, rude front desk workers, etc. and I just cannot believe that because the 4 of us never encountered such behavior. Everyone works so very hard and they bust their tails all day long in the heat, and always have a smile on their face. Thank you to ALL of the staff at this resort.

Special shout out to Carlos, the waiter around the pool bar, he was awesome!!!! He was the first to walk up to us and offer to get us a beverage. Sorry I cannot remember all of the other waiters names, but then again we didn't have to because Carlos was our waiter for 4 days :) We were never thirsty with Carlos around. He makes great shots, all tasted a little different each time but they were all very tasty.

The entertainment staff was fun and energetic! They got my cousin out dancing salsa pool-side 5 minutes after walking up to the bar on our first day. Freddie, I remember his name because that's my fathers name, and the other entertainment crew, Leo, Erika?? Again sorry I don't remember names, but they all work so very hard to get the crowd involved. We did the pool aerobics one day, and I was exhausted after it was over, but it was really fun and it was a great way to meet new friends for the vacation. Sero (spelling?) was the life guard and if it weren't for him offering to take some pictures on my camera, we wouldn't have half of the memories we do captured on film, thank you for being our personal photographer!

The restaurants were all very good. Yes the portions are small, but just order more! I prefer small portions because I like to taste different foods instead of having one huge plate of the same thing. We only encountered one dinner where we had slow service. It was busy, they are overworked in some cases if they are short handed, just relax and order another glass of wine! You are on vacation! We did bring money to tip, and we always left tip after breakfast and dinners (we never ate lunch) and also tipped our waiters. They deserve it!

Pressure from the Vacation Club time share people? The rep approached us while we were in the Preferred Club Lounge waiting to check in but we were friendly and told her no thank you and that was it! No pressure.

The Preferred Club....some people say its not worth the money. I can honestly say that the only thing we used was the wifi. We never once went to the Preferred Club pool, nor did we use the computers in the private Lounge, we didn't eat the snacks or have beverages from the Lounge, and we never went to the Preferred Club bar on the beach. I am returning to Puerto Morelos on October 19-25 with my boyfriend and we booked the Preferred Club at the Now Jade, but the cost was significantly higher than what I paid for the upgrade when I booked the Sapphire back in May. I have read reviews that say not to pay for the upgrade to Preferred Club up front, but wait until they offer it at the resort when you check in, supposedly it is cheaper. I could have done this, we decided to just buck up for the upgrade now as this is his second time to Mexico and he wanted to pay for the upgraded perks.

I am looking forward to visiting the Now resort chain again next Saturday! I just wish Carlos could be our waiter again! I might shuttle over to the Sapphire just to say hello :)

Thank you Now Sapphire for such a memorable vacation, I have and will continue to recommend your resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LadyDiTravels
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos.

We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience during your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the resort areas, room service and the three simple perks. Thank you.

The entire resort staff will appreciate your review as it will be shared with everyone, especially with Carlos, Leo, Erika and all our entertainment team. They will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

We hope you have a great stay at our brother hotel, it is a beautiful resort.

Cordially yours,

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Between rip off 'membership' at an excellent value of £28,000 and staff members conning you out of money in restaurants by charging for wrong wine and double charging on service. I feel robbed, considering its a all inclusive.

When we entered the room, some of the miniatures were half drunk and was of poor quality considering how much we paid for the upgrade.

I also got food poisoning on day two from undercooked food.

Staff are generally friendly, especially in lounge bar! All people speak fantastic English until you need to make a complaint. Funny that!

Rooms are incredibly noisy so don't expect a lie in.

Room Tip: Don't Bohr with preferred. The extras are far and few between for the money
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mike D
Dear Sir

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor about your recent stay at our resort.

We would like to comment that wine per glass is part of the all inclusive; wine per bottle is not included. When any guest orders a bottle of wine there is a charge that is accepted and signed by our guests to charge to their room account. The mini liquour are welcome amenities which are supplied once during their stay.

We sincerely regret that we did not fulfill your expectation. Your very valuable comments will be shared with the entire staff to improve our points of opportunity.

Thank you again very much for these comments that enable us to correct and improve these kind of circumstances. We hope you give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our service.

With kin regards,

info.nosrc@nowresorts.com
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed October 10, 2013

So, funny story...we booked Now Sapphire last fall and loved it. This year, we booked an Apple Vacations 6 Red Apple Square Deal...you know, you don't know where you're staying until you get to the airport on your departure. We were booked for Now Sapphire. We had said we'd go again...just not this soon. This was our 6th trip to Riviera Maya and our first repeat visit to a resort. But yes, I do have some opinions. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The water at the beach was prettier this year so if you were discouraged in the past like we were, it does get better. We even saw stingrays which was a first for us. The staff at Now Sapphire are probably some of the best. It was more crowded this year for "off season" but we the wait time was never very long. The Entertainment Staff work all day everyday. They really do get the guests involved and had us laughing a lot. Having said that, I will say the reception crew should smile more or "lighten up". They are greeting guests who are excited...maybe they should be a little excited too. They did great, just kind of stiff. We have to get to the "shame on us" part. We didn't experience this last year so I am not sure if it was a problem or not. Vacation Club Membership IS the same thing as Timeshare! I don't care how you wrap it up, it is the same. We know better but we got pulled in because they had a special breakfast for return guests....maybe you would like to see the Preferred Properties...won't take but an hour. So, we went. We started getting a bad feeling and were right. The person that had breakfast with us was very nice until we told him no, which brought another person. I won't call out all of the names involved except for the last person....RAMON! He was so completely rude, almost throwing our papers at us, asking why we even came to the presentation if we weren't going to buy. Um, hello...I was in sales and that is not how you close a deal. Word of advice, there is no special breakfast for return guests. It did pay for our upgrade to the ocean view room (which I would hugely suggest) but it was almost 2 hours not 1 hour. We didn't let it ruin the rest of our time. Back to the real review....I would still recommend this resort to friends. It is smaller which is nice for a quick getaway and close to the airport. Will we go again? Yes, but after we see a view more resorts still on our list. You just can't beat the service you get at Now Sapphire. And we always seem to meet the nicest people.

Room Tip: If you want to walk out close to the beach, I would suggest buildings 1-5. These buildings also hav...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos

We would like to express our gratitude for sharing your important comments with us through the Tripadvisor community. Knowing that you had a great stay with us is very refreshing for us. We will share your feedback with the entire staff, especially with the Entertainment team. They will be so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay at our beautiful resort.

Regarding your observations about the UVC Staff, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights. Fantastic greeting on arrival. Beautiful pools and beach. Food and drinks were nice particularly cocktails at the pool bar and food at Oriental and Mediterranean restaurants. Snorkelling trip and Spa were highlights and very friendly staff. Special mention to Rafael the waiter working at the marketplace buffet, a true gentleman.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie C
Dear Sir / Madam,

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We truly appreciate for sharing your feedback on Tripdavisor. We will share your feedback with the operations staff, especially with Rafael, who will be glad to know that his efforts are truly recognized

We look forward to welcome you again very soon!

San Francisco
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have been to the riviera maya area several times and this resort is definitely at the top of our list! Beautiful resort! Very clean. Pool area is perfect, there was always a seat :) food in the restaurants was great.. Especially the sushi at lemongrass!! It was so fresh and better then some of the sushi we had at home.. the buffet was also good.. The room was standard but comfortable, always clean...they even come to clean up used towels at night and turn your bed down. They also supplied a crib for our toddler. The atmosphere was absolutely wonderful especially at night around the theater/bar area.. Very friendly and helpful staff!! Would definitely recommend this resort and go back ourselves!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Melania B
Dear Madam,

We thank you for the positive review. Your recognition of our efforts to ensure every guest has an amazing and comfortable stay is much appreciated as well as the positive comments about the outstanding service provided by our friendly staff and will happily be shared with them,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun in the very near future

With kind regards,

Philadelphia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We took a trip with 8 of our closest friends(all of us in our late 20's early 30s' and we all travel frequently). After reading reviews, we were nervous. Upon arrival that quickly changed. Jessica at the front desk was so accomodating to our group and managed to get all the rooms in the same vecinity. She also told us about the now resorts app for smartphones that allowed us to call to the us for free using the FREE wifi that was included. We were not bombarded to join the preferred club nor sit through a time share presentation. Drink ONLY bottled water and ask for bottled water, they are at every bar and restaurant. There was little to no wait at the nightly restaurants and they accommodated 8 with no probelms. The restaurants were a little warmer and did not have AC but you should dress appropriately for the warm temperature. The pool bar was phenomenal and Antonioooooooooooooooooo was great at the bar all week, He gave us shot after shot after shot with no complaints. The room was well maintained, the shower was always warm and the beds were always made and rooms cleaned 2x's daily and the minibar was always full. The entertainment staff was friendly and courteous Miguel and Luis went above and beyond for our entire stay. (we asked a couple of days for them to put the volleyball nets up a little earlier in the day in the pool area). The food wasnt 5 star at every restaurant but def eatable. The steaks were by far the best things to eat at the French and Mediterranean restaurants. ADVICE: small portions- Order 2.

If you are considering this resort, DONT BE SCARED. Go and have a blast, the staff is awesome and they will do the best to make your stay enjoyable. And if you have great service, please tip a dollar or two, they are very appreciative and work hard to make your trip enjoyable

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leon T
Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. We are very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. We strive to provide exceptional products and services and to ensure that each and every guest has a positive experience while visiting our Resort. We are taking all the necessary steps to ensure our quality in our service.

Miguel, Luis and Jessica will be more than happy to know they were able to assist you. Also, the Entertainment Department will be glad to know their efforts are truly recognized.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!