“Fantastic Holiday!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hampshire
“Fantastic Holiday!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent 7 nights at this hotel from 28th September and had a lovely holiday.
Our room was quiet and very clean with the mini bar restocked every day and the air conditioning was excellent.
The restaurants are amazing and what a surprise to have bubbly at any time, even breakfast!
We only had to wait for maybe 15 minutes to get a table in any of the restaurants.
We chose the preferred guest option and so had the use of the private pool which was lovely and quiet with excellent service from the bar staff, Margarito and Ivan.
The preferred lounge was a nice place to go for breakfast and a quiet drink.
We could not find fault with the hotel and would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a tropical view preferred room top floor and it was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndypandyHampshire
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We are happy to learn you had a great vacation with your family. We will share your feedback with the operations staff, they will be glad to know that they helped to make your stay more enjoyable.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,391)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had problems from the moment we arrived. Booked it through apple vacations and were told its a 6 golden apple resort. SO not true it wasn't even a 3 apple resort. Just because its owned by Apple they give this resort a favorable rating. No one one met us at the departing airport to meet us as previously assured by apple. We contacted the resort ahead of time to let them know it was our Honeymoon and my husbands birthday and when we arrived we the keys to our room were not working. Later there was water clogged up in the basin, roaches and mosquitoes in the room and from start top finish it was like 4 days in hell!!!!!! The food was crap..I am a vegetarian and the hotel is so isolated that we cant even go out to eat...Very limited vegetarian food option...Basically had pasta and bread for the entire vacation!!. Wait, there is 24hr room service, right? That did not really matter for this high rated and overpriced resort. The room service was terrible and probably the worst room service food i've had ever. If you like to snorkel, there is really nothing to see on this beach; The worst beach with a lot of sea weed... bar tender at the pool expected tips even when your in the pool and if you cant tip him, you wont get the same drinks as others were having...Thank god we booked some excursions though apple which took us at least one day away from this hell hole..Went to Chichen iTza in the morning and then to coco bongo night--which is an amazing night club--absolutely must if you are in this area, unfortunately our cab never came to pick us up at 3: 30 am as confirmed. Waited till 4 am then decided to spend $60 and get a cab to the hotel... Told Apple representative at the hotel and he did not do anything about this. really disappointed with Apple, the hotel and the whole vacation. Wouldn't even recommend to my enemies!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here... If you do..do not attend the club joining presentation which lasts for more t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HB365
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. Please allow us to apologize for an experience which left you overall dissatisfied.

We understand your feeling of let down; we also hope that you will accept this note as a genuine apology for falling short of delivering a true experience in our resort.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I am a big fan of AM Resorts properties and enjoyed my first stay at the Now Sapphire for on-site destination wedding training at all the other AM Resorts properties. The staff and service were excellent, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food we were served was delicious. As a vegan, I was well taken care of and found enough options.

The pool area is huge, and a big plus for this property, however, there is nothing quick to grab for eating poolside. I think this is a downfall for a family-friendly resort especially.

I would definitely return to this property and would recommend it to clients with children.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to thank you for your recent visit to our resort.

We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed the specialty restaurants and the service provided by the staff.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you and our mutual clients to the Now Sapphrie Riviera Cancun.

smithville, oh
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Took a few of our couple friends here for our 25th Anniversary. I was pleasantly surprised at this resort and really enjoyed our stay!!

Food: The food was very good, except for our experience with the romantic dinner on the beach. The only really good thing about this was the ambiance. They do charge an extra $110 per couple and the service was questionable...definatly not worth the 15% gratuity....and the food service was very slow and the meal was cold when it arrived. Save your money and eat in the regular restaurants....as they are very good.

Rooms: We were in the Preferred section with beachfront rooms.....walk directly out on the beach.....this was awesome and well worth the $$ to upgrade. We did have a problem with the smell of bug spray when we checked in, but our room attentdant was great at helping us resolve that. We also had a problem getting is cool enough at night for a comfortable nights rest. Even though they checked this out twice for us....it did not change a thing. They were supposed to restock the refrig everyday with beers, soda and juices.....but we never saw any juices after day one. Overall the rooms were very nice. Make sure you try to get in building #1 #2 or #3 as they are near everything. The room was very spacious!

Pools: Very nice! The adult pool was very serene and quite.

Beach: Quite nice!! There is some seaweed problem in this area ....but heck....this is the ocean. We enjoy the nice beach chairs and occasional beach bar service. There is a beach bar between building #2 & #3 right on the beach and the guys were quite accomodating and made our stay very fun! We did take out the catamarans about 2-3 times a day as they only let you use them for 1/2 hour periods.

Preferred Club: Not sure if this was worth it....they were not the most accomodating group and sometimes felt like we were in the way instead of helping us. Whereas the concierge at the main desk when you walk into the resort was GREAT and very helpful. I found that when I had a question or need some help Alexandro was quite accomodating!

Entertainment staff: What can I say....they made this a very fun trip and was very pleasant to be around. They definately were some of the best we have ever encountered.

Shows/Lobby Entertainment: Most of the entertainment was very nice.....with the circus show being over the top!! Really enjoyed the bands in the lobby as well.

Overall I would give this resort a 7 out of 10 and would definately recommend it to others as well as go back there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sdmaibach
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding all the services and areas of our resort, same that they will be shared with all our staff and executives. Alejandro will be glad to hear you had a great stay.

With kind regards,

Appleton, Wi
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I along with our entire family went to the NOW Sapphire from September 21-28 for our daughter’s wedding. Our daughter selected this resort after doing a lot or research and comparison “shopping” on the spreadsheet she created. Your reviews posted on Trip Advisor played an important part in her final decision-making process.

We had a truly marvelous week. We thoroughly enjoyed the resort, all it had to offer, and all the people we met. Listed below is some of the information you’re probably looking for to help you make your destination decision.

Our check in went off without a hitch. We had a garden view room. Our kids upgraded to the ocean view rooms which were very nice with the beach just outside your room.

The rooms were nice – on par with the rooms at other resorts in Riviera Maya that we have previously stayed in. The only time we spent in the room was to sleep so a big fancy room is not something that I/we are looking for. Nexy cleaned our room daily and did a thorough job.

With this being hurricane season, the resort was only around 53% of capacity which made getting a chair around the pool, dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, and the ability to participate in a number of different offerings by the NOW Entertainment Staff easy to do – These men and women did a great job of providing activities for a wide variety of interests – kudos.

There was no towel card so you just got a new towel whenever you needed it. You didn’t even need to trade a wet one in for a dry one. The only problem with this is people left their towels on the pool loungers when they went back to their rooms so you didn’t know if that chair was available or not.

You did not need a reservation for any of the specialty restaurants – that was a very pleasant surprise. We prefer to eat early. Several nights we ate as a party of 12 and had no wait or any hassle at 6:00pm when the restaurants opened up.

We ate at the Blue Water Grill, Lemon Grass, the Mexican restaurant, and the buffet. We did not eat at the Paramour. Plan on an hour and a half for dinner – that was hard for me. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We come from the Midwest and that is how I like my food. Down here they use different spices and sauces so when I ordered lasagna or a steak it was not the way I’m used to having it prepared. As my wife keeps telling me, I have to try new things.

We did eat at the buffet for most or our breakfasts, lunches and a couple of dinners. The breakfast buffet was my favorite. There was a good variety and a station for eggs and omelets. My ongoing complaint however is that the French toast and pancakes are never really hot. They sit in this big pan and by the time you get them, they are luke warm at best. That should not be a hard fix.

One of my favorite places was their small little coffee/latte/cappuccino shop called CoCo’s which was located near the lobby bar. I started my of my early mornings (a little after 6:00am) there for a coffee and cinnamon rolls. They had a wide variety of made on the spot coffees and drinks for all tastes. The cinnamon rolls were some of the best I have ever had.

We spent most of our week at the main pool. It was very large and the water was quite warm. The swim up bar was nice and Antonio manned it by himself almost all week from 10:00am to after 6:00pm. For all those people who complain that there drinks are never strong enough, all you had to do was tell Antonio and he gladly added as much alcohol as you wanted. The morning bloody marys were especially good. Our favorite pool waiter of all time was Carlos. His gift of gab, sparkling personality, and super service made him someone we all liked and remembered.

The resort is a $$$ cab ride from Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. We spent the entire week at the resort, and really enjoyed ourselves.

I took my golf clubs down because we were going to play golf at the Grand Coral which offered a “deal” but after investigating the deal, we decided not to play. HINT TO ALL GOLFERS – leave your clubs at home and rent the Ping 20’s they advertise at the course for $40.00. It cost me $50.00 to bring my clubs down and back home again.

The wedding planner did a great job of making sure our daughter’s day was extra special. We had the ceremony on the beach with an open bar afterwards and dinner on the deck at the Blue Water Grill. Special thanks to Vicente, Juan Carlos, and Gladys for the great job they did serving us and taking care of us at the reception. They seemed to be having as much fun as we were.

We spent some time at the beach, but remnants of the hurricane that came the week before constantly littered the beach with kelp and seaweed. The resort did have tractor and combine to clean the beach just about daily. The sand was nice but you couldn’t go very far out into the water before you reached the weedy area.

One of the big questions we are always asked is, will we go back to this resort again. The answer is yes, we will. Our family had a super week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank montazuma007
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your daughter´s wedding in Cancun.

We really appreciate your time to write your feedback with us through the Tripadvisor community. Your very valuable comments have been shared with the staff and supervisors to improve our service & quality. Vicente, Juan Carlos, Gladys, Carlos and Antonio will be so happy to hear they contributed to make your stay more enjoyable.

It is great to hear you enjoy the Coco Café and the food at the specialty Restaurants.

With kind regards,

Yorktown, Indiana
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent 4 nights, 5 days at the Now Sapphire Sept. 28 through Oct. 2 and we kept asking ourselves "Why all the negative reviews?" I'm a hotel snob and was somewhat worried about reviews I read but let me assure you, this place is WONDERFUL!

We were Preferred Club and not once were we questioned about the "time share" deal. We were taken into the lounge to check in and offered a drink. Our room wasn't ready but we changed and headed to the pool and lunch. Our room was ready at 1 pm, which isn't unreasonable for we arrived at 10 am.

Room was clean, everything worked. We had ocean view, ground floor, building #3 which was perfect for the bar was just steps away. Our mini-fridge was re-stocked on a daily basis with glass Coke products as well as beer. Our housekeeper came everyday with fresh towels and we had a turn down service. Nothing to complain about at all except on occasion the wireless service was a bit touchy.

I'm a picky American eater and upon arrival at the lunch buffet, I thought I might have trouble finding things I liked, but that didn't happen. The buffet was great for breakfast, they had EVERYTHING and more. We ate at the Bluewater Grill, Cibu, Fresco and Lemongrass. All were wonderful. We always ate around 6 pm, so we never had to wait. Service was excellent, always keeping our glasses full and making sure we were happy. We weren't too hot, like other reviews say. The hotel is open concept so the breeze coming through all the restaurants was just enough.

We didn't use the large pool, only the Preferred Club pool. We loved everything about this pool. The bar was great! I recommend the "Mango Tango" drink. We had a bali bed reserved for us each day with no problems. We even had umbrella's and chairs at the beach reserved as well. It was nice not to get up and place towels down in your chairs. They had our names already on them with a "Reserved for Mr. and Mrs. Lynn" sign. The pool was great. I didn't see anything that looked worn or many broken tiles that would cause harm. The water was perfect and the bartender would bring drinks to you while you were in the pool. The only thing I would suggest is the hotel get new floats for the ones in this area have some tears, but other than that, I would not change a thing.

We didn't participate in any of the activities for we were never at the large pool. It was more of a party pool..

A few things I thought were pretty neat compared to other all-inclusive resorts we have been to:
theme nights for dinner outside by the pool and ocean, vendors coming inside the resort to offer you things much cheaper than in the resort gift shop, tons of activities for children, daily bike rides, kayaks, sailing and tennis courts.

As far as the ocean goes, yes, there is "seaweed". However it's nature, people! It wasn't the slime-like green kind we have here in the United States, but reminded me more of pine needles. Twice a day they grated the sand, so this "seaweed" was no bother to us.

I would love to go back to this resort and take my children as well as extended family. For the price, it was perfect!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would get the Preferred Club and ask for building #3. I also suggest a ground floor!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slynn4colts
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay at our resort. We will share your feedback with our staff. They will be so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experienced with our service.

Our Executive Chef will be so happy to hear you enjoyed the food at the specialty restaurants and the delicious tropical drink, Mango Tango.

Montreal
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Well we've been going to this particular resort as a family for the last 7 years, since it was a Spanish chain under the Paradisus brand then 2 or 3 times when Now resorts (American chain) purchased it and somehow things are going downward since the transfer. The grounds are the same as well as the crew is mostly the same but the clients are not the same. Now resorts is catering to a younger crowd in order to fill their rooms and this is not a good sign for families especially when you allow groups to enter the hotel things, ugly things are bound to happen. The rates are becoming cheaper than before and affordable for younger crowds as such the lobby at night is full with young drunken men and some drunk women, shouting and swearing profanities is a common occurance in front of kids and families. The food quality is absolutely not the same at the buffet or the a la carte restaurants and what a disappointment the fancy French restaurant became, for sure the old chef is gone and replaced by a new one who has no idea what he's doing. The Japanese is still good but not as before, the only surprise is the Mexican that actually improved from before. I don't think we will give it another chance unless things change and I'm surprised they will.

Room Tip: If you go chose the more expensive rooms with a sea view, it's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of our resort and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripdavisor. We value our guest feedback because this in the way we can know about our distinguished guests experiences as well as to have the opportunity to improve our service.

We sincerely regret that you had such a bad impression of your stay with us. We take your comments very seriously and have been addressed to the involved departments. We truly hope that you are willing to give us another chance to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!