“Very nice place, but a little too pushy on the "extras"”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My sister and I spent three nights here, all inclusive. The food and drinks were very nice, the pool was lovely, and the staff are lovely, generally speaking. However, internet access is $17 PER DAY (insane), and we felt that there were staff trying to convince us to purchase "extras" regularly. It's a bit of a waste of time on a short vacation to constantly have to listen to the spiels. At first we felt guilted into listening and were then annoyed, but we quickly realized that dismissing these speeches with a polite smile and "no, thank you" was adequate. The food is all VERY SALTY. Not bad, just overly salted, so if you have hypertension, be forewarned.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to be the same distance from the main area and they all seem nice enough.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rebecca7894
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun

Your very valuable comments will be shared with the operations staff to improve our service.

We hope to see you back very soon to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun.

Sincerely yours,

info.nosrc@nowresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (7,584)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Since this is my first review of any resort that my husband and I have ever stayed in I will try to keep this as short and informatively truthful as I can. We stayed there April 27th through May 4th 2013. Let me start by saying that we have been to the Riviera Maya area 6 times in the last 6 years and we have been lucky enough to stay at all 6 gold apple resorts (we booked our vacation through Apple Vacations). All but one of the past resorts that we have stayed at have all been AM Resorts such as Secrets Maroma Beach, Dreams Tulum to name a few. Since this is also rated a 6 gold apple we felt confident we would not be disappointed despite some negative reviews regarding service/food. Unfortunately we were mistaken this time. I would rate this resort at best a 3 red apple - and that's on a good day. The only aspect that even made it rate that high was the beautiful clean beach. If you are going to this resort as a romantic vacation with your loved one please be aware that having a romantic quiet dinner at this resort is next to impossible. NOW Sapphire seems to cater to weddings excessively. We were at this resort for 7 nights and during each of those nights there was a wedding reception literally less than 5 feet from our dining table with no separation which meant you have extremely loud "dance" music & strobe lights right next to you while you are trying to enjoy a romantic dinner. This leads me to the restaurants. My husband and I are not picky eaters at all however when I am at a resort that is rated at 6 gold apples I would expect to have food that was at the highest quality - not fancy just good. The food at this resort in every restaurant at this resort was adequate at best and surprisingly tasted the exact same no matter which restaurant you were at. We have had much better food at an Outback Steakhouse. Which leads me to the overall service at this resort. I can honestly say that the service here was extremely disappointing to say the least. Once we were sat we were forgotten about very quickly in fact 4 out of the 7 nights there we were never asked if we would like another dink, how our food was or even if we would like desert. Now onto my final comment which was cleanliness. Since my husband and I prefer to eat early we were always the first ones at the restaurants when they opened. On more than one occasion we were sat at a table with dirty linens (greasy butter on the linens is a dead give away). Since we were the first diners after the doors opened this had to have meant that the linens were just not changed. Neither of us has ever had an issue while in Mexico with any kind of sickness however we both got sick within an hour of each other after dining at the steakhouse. Since this was only 3 days into our trip we had to really watch what we ate/drank and not venture too far from our room. Thank goodness for Imodium! I feel very strongly that we both got sick because of cleanliness issues as we are always careful not to drink the water. In short if you go to this resort expecting one of the best resorts this area has please think again! I did write a letter when we returned home to Apple Vacations which again is another first for me and unfortunately have heard nothing back which to say the least is extremely disappointing. If we had knowingly booked a lesser resort we still would have been disappointed. One final note please don't expect much in the way of entertainment either, out of our 7 night stay there were only a total of 4 nights that there was entertainment at all and one of those nights was a repeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank moffs5

Dear Madam,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. Please allow us to apologize for an experience, which left you overall dissatisfied.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you had at the resort and are really looking forward for one more opportunity to welcome you back and assist you and exceed your expectations by receiving an unlimited luxury vacation.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

info.nosrc@hotmail.com

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just spent 8 days at this resort. We have done other tropical and all inclusive vacations in the past. The people and service made this the best stay yet for us. From check in to getting to the room was quick and effortless.Room was cleaned all the time, as well as towels and water stocked a few times a day. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The rain for a couple of days did not slow anyone down or service levels, then tried even harder to entertain us all. All the staff were exceptionally nice to our one year old son, learned his name and spoke to him and us everyday. Lots of high fives and attention. The entertainment was great all day and night, including the shows. Lots of variety. Freddy, Marion and Juan Manuel all go above and beyond as well as the rest of there team. The hostesses Silvia? Acemela? were so generous and kind. Irving and the other waiters we had were quick and friendly. We mostly ate at the buffet, which had many options for the whole family. The only negative we had, beside gaining a lot of weight in a week!, was the desserts. They all look great, but many lacked flavor and taste. Need more straight up real chocolate stuff. We are already saving up for another trip there. The beaches were clean and nice. Pool was fun. Always easy to get chairs, shady spots and towels. It was very close and easy to get to from the airport. Nothing but positive things to say about the Now Sapphire. The people there really made the difference. We were a little scared after reading some reviews, but not after being there for a few minutes! They required pants for a couple of the restaurants and I only brought shorts, the bell boy staff offered to lend me something from housekeeping. Above and Beyond. Happy to write more or answer emails if interested.

Room Tip: We were in Building 14, tropical garden views, but super close to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Tony A
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

The entire resort’s crew is thrilled to hear that your stay with us turned to be an awesome vacation. The tripadvisor universe as well as the staff will find the review very useful for future visits and so that we can keep working very hard for our guests. Juan Manuel, Freddy, Marion, Silvia will be so happy to hear they contributed to make your stay at our resort.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The resort was fabulous. Rooms very clean; food outstanding. Despite beginning our week with a tropical storm, it was a wonderful week. The staff is very accommodating; all go out of their way to please their guests. Lizbeth as the host for Paramour was a sweetheart! Ivan goes above and beyond to please the preferred guests at the pool. Upgrading to the preferred status is worth the extra money!
Also, if you want excursions, the staff at the Amstar desk and on the tours are great. It is worth the extra money to go through the tour groups.

Room Tip: Upgrade to preferred; ask for near the beach; ask for King beds - otherwise may get 2 queens.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdchurch88

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. Thank you also for sharing your beautiful photos taken during your stay.

We are very happy, that we could make your stay at our resort to a fantastic holiday experience with our high standard of services and the highlighted little touches, which make the difference. Ivan and Lizbeth will be glad to hear they contributed to make your stay more enjoyable.

We are looking forward to welcoming you all hopefully very soon again at our resort for another fabulous wedding anniversary.

Our best regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Save your money and DO NOT GO to this resort. There is not enough words to list all the bad things that happened at this resort. This resort does not even understand the basics of customer service. The whole week was a massive let down. This was my fourth time in Mexico and it will be my last. Here is the short list of the bad:

1. Rude Staff- Who refuse service becaues they just don't feel like working.
2. Room Service Shuts down when it rains- Actually the whole resort shuts down when it rains and they leave their guest to fend for themselves- Bring snacks to your room in case your rained in so you don't starve.
3. Rooms leak
4. Bugs in rooms
5. Provide you with food allergy card- Then refuse to accept it because they are to lazy to make something different and force you to eat at the buffet or starve.
6. Don't inform you of what restaraunts are closed- Make the men dress up in pants and long shirts in 42 degrees and then the restaraunt is closed- even though you called the front desk and was told it was open.
7. Every person you talk to gives you a different answer for the same question.
8. Try to sell you to the VIP breakfast at every chance they get. Same employee asked me 4 times in 3 days because she couldn't keep track of who she asked.
9. Lazy staff- if they don't feel like working you are not getting served.
10. Room service refused to serve some of the kids we were travelling with because it was raining.
11. Re-use their water bottles
12. Drivers on the carts won't stop for you- actually they reverse away from you even when you are running after them.

I could go on and on. Bottom Line DON'T GO!

Room Tip: DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO THE PREMIUM UPGRADE! Huge rip off. No difference in service or rooms. Beach...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tomatoe2013

Dear Madam / Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us through Tripdavisor. We have read your feedback and we really sorry to know your stay was not what you were expected. We will address your feedback with the operations staff to improve our service in all possible ways.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I hosted our wedding at Now Sapphire on June 23, 2012. It was the best decision we made regarding the wedding. It was so wonderful that at the conclusion we were immediately struck with wedding bell blues. We would get married at Now Sapphire again and again and again. We are leaving next week for a return trip to celebrate our 1-year anniversary and plan to make it a yearly tradition complete with vow renewal.

This resort is beautiful! Truly one of the most exquisite places I have stayed. The lobby and restaurants are beautifully appointed. I love how there is water and fountains everywhere. Honestly, I do not have any complaints about the hotel that are worth mentioning (except the tile floors are slick as snot when it rains). The rooms were modern and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The shower had a cascading head that was divine. We really enjoyed the ocean view and the Jacuzzi on the balcony.

We stayed in the Preferred Club and I do not really see a need to do this. The preferred club gives you added amenities: you can reserve the Bali beds at the main pool and palapas at the beach, access to the adults only preferred pool, access to the air-conditioned lounge, an extra restaurant for breakfast, and free Wi-Fi. I did not spend a lot of time at the resort, but from what I saw the beach and pool are not crowded, so there is no need to reserve a chair. No one checks at the preferred pool to make sure you are supposed to be there. As long as you are a quiet, respectful adult, no one will bother you. I prefer the party atmosphere of the main pool anyway. I ate the buffet for breakfast (sit in Hugo’s section, he is the best) every day because the special preferred club restaurant is a la carte and I woke up too hungry to have to order and wait for my food. The lounge had nice cold air conditioning, but it was usually empty and boring (I like to be where the action is). The free Wi-Fi is nice, but I could have paid for it and still saved a ton by not booking the preferred club. I just do not think the added amenities justify the price difference. I did not notice a class system between preferred guests and non-preferred guests like those that I have noticed at other resorts.

The beach has soft, powdery fine, white sand. It is beautiful and the water is green and blue. There is seaweed washed up on the beach, but the resort does a great job of cleaning it up several times a day. I stayed at a different resort (much more expensive) down the beach about 10 miles for my honeymoon, the seaweed was worse there, and they did not attempt to clean it up. I was only at Now Sapphire for 4 nights, it rained most of the time, and I was busy with wedding stuff, so I did not get in the ocean or use the pools, but our guests enjoyed them.

The staff is the best part of Now Sapphire! They are kind and friendly. They addressed us as “My friend” or “Mi amigo” and it felt like we really were old friends. They are attentive and take great care of the guests. They are there to serve. I never heard the answer no for any of my requests. They were happy to help us with whatever it was we wanted or needed. Whatever you ask, the answer is always the same, “Yes, my pleasure”. The maintenance staff is fast and responsive. The first night there about 10:30 PM we wanted to use our Jacuzzi but it would not hold water. We called the front desk to report it and not five minutes later, there were 2 maintenance men at our door covered in sweat (they had clearly run to our room) with their tools in tow. In a matter of minutes, they had replaced the stopper on the Jacuzzi and were gone so we could get back to our night.

The resort location is great! It is a quick 20-minute drive from the airport, but far enough away from all the hustle and bustle of the overly touristy Cancun!

Our Timeline at the Resort (w/ comments on restaurants):
We found the food to be very good. We consider ourselves foodies and have expensive taste in food, but we were not disappointed. I have been to several all-inclusive resorts and the food at Now is well above average. We had limited time at the resort, so we did not get to try all the restaurants. The buffet was wonderful for breakfast, very fresh. I really liked Bluewater grill for lunch.

Thursday – We arrived around noon and checked in. Our rooms were not ready, but it was not a big deal. The bellhops took care of our luggage and we went for lunch at the buffet. The buffet was fresh and tasty. I loved the chips and guacamole. We enjoyed dinner at Lemongrass at the teppanyaki table that evening. We had to wait nearly 2 hours for a table, but we just hung out in the lobby bar drinking while we waited and as long as the drinks were flowing, we were happy. Dinner was a little disappointing. There was not really a show at the teppanyaki table, but the food was good to the taste.

Friday – After a quick breakfast at the buffet (which was delicious with fresh fruit and juices) we went on our excursion to Selvatica. For dinner, a large group of us went to Fresco, it really lived up to its name (Fresco is Spanish for fresh). It was very good and the service was great. After dinner, it was time for some partying in the lobby bar. Friday night is the happening night in the lobby with live music and people everywhere. Maybe this was only true because it was still raining, but we had a great time dancing and drinking with the whole resort that night. We stayed out until about 2:00 AM with our younger guests.

Saturday – The wedding day! I will spare the details, as we did not experience much at the resort this day except for the amazing wedding department.

Sunday – This was the Tulum and snorkeling excursion day. When we returned from Tulum, we joined a large group for dinner at Paramour and it was outstanding. The food was wonderful and so was the service. It was the most gourmet meal we had at the resort. After dinner we took a walk on the beach and finished the evening with drinks and dancing in the lobby bar.

Monday – We had a group breakfast at the buffet again and said our goodbyes to many of our guests. We then went to the spa to enjoy our couples massage. After packing our room, we checked out. Before leaving, we enjoyed a great lunch at Bluewater Grill. The fish and chips were awesome. We took a walk on the beach to go stand in the spot we were married and reflect on the weekend. Finally, we headed to the lobby to call for a taxi to head to our honeymoon resort.

I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone! We left Now Sapphire after our wedding to go to a much more exclusive, expensive resort (which shall remain nameless) a few miles down the beach, and the entire week all we wanted to do was go back to Now Sapphire. We even called our travel agent to see if she could get us moved back to Now Sapphire to finish out our honeymoon. Now Sapphire makes you feel like family and a trip there makes you feel like you are going home! I cannot wait to go “home” to Now Sapphire next week.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Erica G

Dear Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all others within this destination, to celebrate your wedding with us.

Congratulation on your wedding! We appreciate your time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to read how much you enjoyed

We will share your comments with the Operations staff, they will be glad to know they contributed to make your stay more enjoyable.

We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future or in your first wedding anniversary.

With kind regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Lets first start by saying I was a little nervous coming here. I travel often to all inclusive and this one is very nice. Food is good. Buffet is excellent.

Check in was kind of slow. Upgrades? Well, it's worth reservation for Bali beds, eating preferred and getting ocean front and reservation of the adult pool and beach beds.

Our air conditioner was not working for two days. The guy was very helpful to try and fix but dang I'f we didn't a get it fixed or everyone had a fan and we didn't ?

Floats? How is it they only have 15 floats to 100 ppl? Definitely need more floats. If we go back, even after investing in the chain, we better get a nicer experience. Hopefully upgrades and experience is as good as our service.. Like Emiliano and Freddy. They r awesome.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cojcz63198

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your recent stay. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff.