“Now Sapphire - good and bad”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have just returned from Now Sapphire where I attended a family wedding which was great. Although I felt the hotel was perfect with a variety of restaurants where the food was excellent, the down side was the long wait in the a la carte restaurants as they were not bookable in advance. Having said that, the food/service was well worth the wait. The bar service was pretty good although better if you were American and offering dollar bills, if not you were not a priority in the queue! Hotel staff were all very polite and helpful, I even lost my mobile phone which I later found in the hotel shop who had kept it for me. Rooms were very spacious and clean, the mini bar was topped up daily, although limited to 2 beers, 2 cokes and water (i'm sure if we had asked we could have requested other drinks??). The main pool was very noisy with Zumba and water aerobics daily with music all day. There was nowhere to relax and chill out, I found it quite impossible to concentrate on a book. Located directly on the beach with well kept gardens. Entertainment most nights which was acceptable. Overall, a lovely hotel but more suited to a younger age group,

Room Tip: We had garden view rooms in the "10" block which were very quiet. I think perhaps the sea...
1  Thank LFCChelmsford
Write a ReviewReviews (7,587)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Seven days of Now sapphire was just right to experience this Amresort facility. This was a Apple square deal so we did not know which six apple facility we would get until we left. (I would not do this again since it is important to my wife and I to be able to plan our activities BEFORE we travel. The Now Sapphire is Mayan style with an open lobby with beautiful water features and a huge pool with lots of places to play and lay.
The room we were assigned was a garden view in building 13. We did have a sliver of ocean view. but really (this was our first Garden view) the gardens were very nice with lots of very well maintained plants and palms. The room was nice (a bit dated fixtures) but very well maintained and clean. The bathroom only had a single sink and a tub shower combo. Wife expected more.
The activities were great with beach and pool action. The on- resort Apple people were helpful as usual.
Food! Well when you visit the Now Sapphire you have to forget about the diet. Every single restaurant was really good and the staff was always professional and pleasant.

I would recommend this resort for families and older couples.

Only one BIG PROBLEM! When you get to the facility they offer you a credit to visit one of their sister facilities. I have always trusted Apple services and facilities and never would have thought that they would compromise customer’s experiences BUT WARNING!! THEY NOW DO> We visited the Dreams Resort for what we found out was a HIGH PRESSURE Sales pitch. It was very slick and done in a way that you were addressed by may different "friends" (pitch men) and after hours of sales pressure- you were either one of there new Unlimited Vacation Club members or lucky enough to be free of this hassle. Others have referred to this-HEED the warning!!!!! This really almost destroyed our vacation. AND read the comments on facebook or look here under Unlimited Vacation Club.

1  Thank Lawrence D
NowSapphireRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Sir,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experience.

As with all feedback we receive, it is shared with all members of the team to let them know our guest´s satisfaction. We will share it with the UVC staff.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Apple Vacations rates this property 6G offering premium beverages. I did not find this to be true. They had no Single Malt Scotch, no really top brand Blended Scotch & were not capable of making a Cadillac Margarita because they had no Grand Marnier or Cointreau. What they had was some "off brand" orange flavor liquer. They appeared to be understaffed during the week of March 1, 2013. The so-called music in the lobby was actually just "noise" produced by a CD with mostly loud drumbeats. For a 6G resort, one would hope to be offered popcorn, peanuts or pretzels at cocktail time, but this was not the case. The food was delicious and the variety wonderful.

Room Tip: Beach or Ocean view would be recommended during the winter months as Tropical View rooms generally r...
2  Thank Marilynn D

Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your time to write a review and shared with us through Tripdavisor. All of the comments are addressed to the operations staff & supervisors, which help us to continue improving our facilities & services.

We hope to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed from March 9 to March 16. Were in Building 13, which was perfect. Close enough to lobby and restaurants, beach, pool, but far enough away that the noise did not bother us. The staff was more than helpful, always asking if we needed anything. We were preferred club, which afforded us the use of the adult pool, which was very relaxing. The room was always cleaned at a decent time, so if you wanted an afternoon nap it was done. The food was exceptional, loved the Cibu, and Bluewater Grill was perfect for lunch. The buffet always had a very good variety, especially the theme nights. We stayed a the Valentin two years ago and this place beats it hands down. It's just the right size, not huge, with just the right amount of walking. The grounds were immaculate, and I loved the huge floral bouquets in the lobby and buffet. Great attention to detail by all involved. We were not pressured to listen to the vacation speil, just said no when we checked in. Loved the frozen Bailey's at the Coco Cafe. The daily newsletter slipped under your door at night was an added bonus, let you know which restaurants were closed that day, drink of the day, nightly entertainment show. The beach sand was awesome, and they worked hard to clean the seaweed several times a day.

All in all it exceeded our expectations, and we would return.

7  Thank jean3943

Dear Sir / Madam,

We are so happy to learn that you enjoyed the specialty restaurants, the Coco Café, the Market Cafe and the resort grounds.

We appreciate very much your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Normally, my wife and I tend to stay in adults only properties, such as Secrets. This time we decided to chance the "family friendly" atmosphere, and found it to be quite tolerable. The first introduction to the property is a little disappointing, as it does not have the long winding roads through gardens such as are found at Secrets Capri or the Valentin; it is by common road to the front gate. Nonetheless, once through the gate, the gardens are very well maintained. I especially found the signs identifying the various species of plant life very illuminating. We opted for the oceanfront junior suite, which was very nice. Maid and minibar service was excellent, and the bed was one of the more comfortable I have slept in for, let us say, many many years. I was very impressed by the Mexican Restaurant, the French Restaurant, and the Buffet. It was a bit windy to enjoy the outside grill. The Lemon Grass (Asian) left a lot to be desired in my book. The hibachi seemed to be a perennial favorite, but I'm not a hibachi fan, so I stuck to the Sushi and Sashimi side. It wasn't bad, but I had no great desire to return. So we spent much of our time at the Mexican and French Restaurants, both of which are excellent. Breakfast at the Buffet was very good, and lunch at the grill left nothing to be desired. The beach is outstanding, as are most beaches on the Riviera Maya. It was well cleaned and plentiful in Hobie Cats, to which I am fairly addicted. I have dove with the watersports company, Aquaworld, before, and have always found them to be professional and friendly. This onsite operation did not dissapoint. I was particularly pleased with the service provided by their onsite photographer, Aileen, from whom I purchased a disk of shots of one of my dives for a nominal fee. The downside of being so close to Cancun, as opposed to being further south, is that there are just not that many dive sites available. Certainly, the submerged C-56 minesweeper is a real kick, and the reef, which shallow, is very colorful. But that's pretty much all that's available offshore. I dove each site twice and enjoyed them very much, but I am a dive fanatic, and I would love my own bathtub for that matter. If you want more variety, you'd better head south toward Puerto Aventuras or Akumal, which is what I will be doing on my next trip. The major negative of the trip was the presence of indulged children, who seemed to think throwing a temper tantrum in a public area was acceptable behavior. It would have been more tolerable, if their parents hadn't agreed. They were certainly not in the majority, and could be often be avoided. I should note that the children's "Explorer" camp seemed to accomodate most of the children, and seemed to do an excellent job of entertaining them. The only other negative was the service in the lobby bar. With the exception of one or two waitresses, it was quite slow and somewhat inattentive. Every other bar was exceptionally well tended and served. I would gladly return to this property, especially if I had my grandsons with me - it's well served and family friendly. However, with my penchant for diving variety and my nature of traveling only with my spouse, I think I'll be heading further south on my next trip.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is worth it. Beautiful views...
1  Thank UW70SCUBA
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our second time at this resort and it did not disappoint. Everyone was very kind and super friendly. Staff remembered us from 2 years ago and welcomed us back.Some of the best were Ivan (beach),Antonio,Jesus,Carlos,Israel , and Ishmael to name a few.We met a lot of nice people from all over the world like Bernie and Linda from Canada and Ricky and Mary from Maryland. Great times.This trip will be fondly remembered and hope to see you all soon.

Room Tip: I had a preferred club ocean front room with jacuzzi on the balcony-Loved it.Room 412.
4  Thank lsks4

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripdavisor community. Ivan, Antonio, Jesus, Carlos, Israel and Ismael will be delighted to know that they helped to make your stay memorable with us.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

OK, first off we are English (so a little reserved) and were looking/paying for 5* Ultimate luxury & relaxation as are expecting our first baby in the summer so really not looking for a party resort....

The Cancun region is to the Americans as Benidorm is to the British - a place to drink, party & have lots of drunken noisy fun - unfortunately this isn't what we were looking for and therefore were incredible disappointed & upset when we realised what the hotel was really like.

On arrival we were not particularly warmly greeted, no drink etc. On arriving at our room we were given single beds on the ground floor despite asking for a quiet room. I called reception and they moved as straight away to a double bedroom - still on the ground floor but generally good rooms, large and clean. Bathrooms could do with a lick of paint. Nice tropical view over the well maintained gardens - be careful of mozzies in the early evening!

No tea/hot chocolate kettle etc. facilities in the room (just a coffee machine), no slippers - just a tatty dressing gown Not 5* standard. Mini bar is water, beer & coke but filled up daily.

Our main complaint (and what caused me to cry for the first three days of our 10 day holiday) was the type of resort, people and standards of food - if you like all you can eat buffets, loud drunk Americans, lots of kids running around and pumping music then this is perfect for you.

The bar opens at 9am and people start drinking then, the music in the lobby starts at 9am and at the pool at 11am. There are all day activities and games which get louder and drunker as the day goes on so not much peace & quiet. When we spoke to concierge about paying for the adults only pool they wanted to charge us $60 a day.... despite the fact we didn't want to move rooms, use wifi etc.

I did the yoga class in the lobby most mornings which was a nice added bonus - if the staff remembered to get the mats & water out in time, if not it was a very short class!

The beach is lovely, they work hard to keep it clean, it was very windy so we didn't spend our days there but was always busy. Weddings happen every day up to 2 per day @ Now Sapphire so did look a little conveyer belt like. Do walk along to Puerto Morelos, about 3km/50 min walk along the beach is nice to see a Mexican fishing town and has all the shops you could need.

If this is what you are looking for then it's perfect, but do make the most of the location to travel to Chichen Itza, Coba & Tulum, we hired a car one day from the helpful Avis rep and did a Virgin Holidays tour on another day - was just nice to get out of the resort & away from the loud drunks but also great to explore the beautiful country & amazing history.

Staff are generally friendly but tips are openly enjoyed, again being English as it's normally already added or is optional we weren't use to it and especially after paying £4,000 for an all-inclusive holiday didn't expect to. We did tip at lunch & dinner as we felt we had to.

Food isn't amazing, certainly not 5*! The Mexican restaurant is terrible - very disappointing. French is probably the best - if you can get in! The no reservation policy is just stupid and annoying, if you don't rush down for 6-6.30pm then expect at least an hours wait, encouraged to go to the bar & drink.... again for what a pregnant women really wants to do!

3  Thank Tabi37

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us and with other readers on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important, as it allows us to take immediate action in the areas of opportunity with the intention of constantly improving our services.

Your are right when you mention that my country is very reach and beauty history culture. Few people values this things

We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future