“The best two weeks of our lives”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Eckville
“The best two weeks of our lives”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Now Sapphire Resort for two weeks over Christmas and New Years and can't wait to book it again. The staff were great in ALL areas. We made it a point of eating in every restaurant and enjoyed every minute of it. By the end of our two weeks, we felt that we were a part of their families. We went down there with another couple (who had been to the area before) and they said that they also had the time of their lives. Lots to do for couples, families. We would go back there again tomorrow. Well done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bruce C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,361)
  • Polish first
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed February 9, 2013

First this was a beautiful resort. Not too big, not too small. It's an excellent vacation especially if you have elderly family members (which we did not) but the availability of the golf carts for rides from one side to the other was great. I will definitely take my mother there! The beach was beautiful. Unlike the beach at Now Larimar in Punta Cana, they clean the beaches every morning. We came in after a 3 day rain and each day the water became more and more beautiful. In fact the ocean was actually warmer than the pools! The staff was especially kind, helpful and truly made my husband and I feel special. There is the Preferred pool where children are not allowed and is relatively quiet (until I got there! :).... We upgraded to ocean view which is well worth the extra dollars. Why go to a resort like this and not be able to wake to a wonderous sunrise. I particularly want to thank Israel at the Preferred Pool, Ivan who made our reservations on the beach and the beautiful and kind hostess Gladys at the Buffet. The resort has tennis courts, spa, music, shows.. and I think appropriate for couples, families, friends or even going solo... They were always willing to accomodate us. Last but certainly not least Abel was so very helpful for us. Attentive, honest and went the extra mile to ensure all our accomodations were accurate as there was a minor gliche with check in. THANK YOU ABEL SO VERY MUCH.

Room Tip: Although the tropical view is beautiful, I am more of a beach front gal! I love sitting on the balco...
3 Thank Angela D
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at this resort in mid-January with 7 other couples. Three of those couples visited there last year and liked it enough to come back, and I would too. The grounds are beautiful and everything is well kept; nothing looks old or in need of updating. I ate at 4 of the 5 restaurants, as well as the buffet. The food is really good. The buffet has an excellent selection and had made-to-order omelette, burger, seafood, and pasta stations. There is a French, Mexican, Mediterranean, Japanese restaurants and an outdoor grill (great place to sit near the ocean). The seafood risotto and the wild mushroom soup at the Mediterranean restaurant are to die for. The Mexican restaurant was my least favorite but that may be because they don't have dishes like we are used to in our Mexican restaurants and I might have just ordered the wrong thing. If you get beef at any of the restaurants, remember that it's going to taste different than our beef, so don't be surprised. Someone else mentioned how much they had to tip. I did not tip for everything. Usually $2 at breakfast and lunch and $5 for dinner. But that was only if I got decent service. I figured that's a small price to pay for the nice meals. The mattresses were so comfortable. Springair Comfort something... wrote it down because it's making me want a new mattress now. No achey back in the morning; always a good night's sleep. Buildings 7,8,9 are a little of a walk, so if you're the type of person that makes multiple trips back to your room during the day, you may want a closer building. Otherwise, it's a nice walk through the grounds. The buildings are three stories with no elevator, so be aware of that if you have a handicap.There are a few other things that are worth mentioning. First, they will immediately try to get you to come to a timeshare presentation in exchange for spa and other coupons. The front desk sends you to them after you check in and you think they are just being nice and want to help you enjoy your stay, but then they lay it on you. Just know that you can get the coupons even if you say no. Others mentioned that it is worth the upgrade to go to Preferred status, but we were told it would be $80/night more. One of the couples in our group was Preferred and they never even used the exclusive areas because all the fun was elsewhere. There is a benefit for printing your boarding passes, etc., in the Preferred lounge, but you can have a Preferred guest get you in. The front desk staff wasn't very friendly. You will definitely not get fawned over, so if your ego can't take that, this isn't the place for you. Some servers were very nice and friendly, but others acted like you were only to be tolerated. They don't have enough bartenders at either the lobby or pool bars, so you end up waiting to get a drink. The servers came around occasionally, but most of the time you had to go get your own drinks. Make sure you tell them you want a particular liquor (e.g., Beefeater); otherwise they will use well liquor for your drinks. Bring hair conditioner. There is absolutely nothing "conditioning" about their conditioning shampoo. Your hair is a wreck after you wash it. If you're going to Zumba at poolside, make sure you wear tennis shoes. The pavers are stone and they are uneven and you can get hurt (as some of us did). The resort never feels crowded. There's a lot of room to spread out. The pools are wonderful and are close to the beach, so you don't have far to walk if you want to take a dip in the other. The nightly entertainment in the theatre is lame (karaoke, mentalist), but they had a band playing in the lobby every night that provided nice entertainment and dancing. There's a nightclub for the younger set that likes the loud music!

3 Thank terieisenhardt
Fort Myers, Florida, United States

Just going to hit on the highlights of our trip there 1/25/13

Summary
The food is excellent and the entertainment staff very energetic. Plenty of water sports. We never left the hotel grounds. Even though this is all inclusive, tipping is expected.

Pro:
1. If you can justify the upgrade to Preferred Guest, do it. Free Internet, Access to a preferred lounge make it worth it. I think it was an additional $70 for the week
2. Try to get through the check-in process without buying anything. Tell them you will look it over later. They get the hint, but it's a hard up-sell.
3' If you like wine, order the house wine with every meal.. It's good. Off the wine list it's expensive
4. If you're adventurous, try the hobie cats. They give you a 30 minute lesson and you're on your own. Easy to captain.
5. Bring plenty of single dollar bills. I brought 50 for ten days and it was about half of what I needed.
6. Entertainment staff keep you hopping if you are athletic. Beach and pool volleyball, - and they are good players. Zoomba every day
7. Somebody else said it, but the coffee in the lobby pastry bar is excellent. Opens at 6am
8. The food in all the restaurants (except Mexican) was very good. Best food I've had in an all inclusive. Wait staff was generally attentive (except Mexican)
9. Plenty of lounges at the beach and the pool. Preferred guests can reserve them, but generally there are no issues getting the location you want.
10. Rooms were very comfortable. Solid bed and firm pillows. Powerful A/C. Always very clean. Bathrooms were modern and cleaned nicely every day.
11. Fitness center is well appointed. Nice equipment. Get there early because the A/C does not keep up with the sun and it has a wall of windows.

Con:
1. We had to purchase a bottle of wine in order to eat outside at the Lemon Grass. It was worth it but the wine list is pricey. Most of the time these tables are empty because of this up-sell, which is a shame because they are beautifully located.
2. Tipping - See Below
3. The bartenders at the swim-up bar are very slow. It's clear they want tips, so if you want any kind of service, you need to have tips ready and show them.
4. Once they got you there the only goal seems to sell you something else. Watch out for the up-sells for better rooms, excursions, wine, spa, etc. I did not get the time-share up-sell but I saw others who did. Be careful, they are good at this.
5. Most of the people spoke passable English, but not all. Sometimes had difficulty because I suck at Spanish.

Tipping:
This resort was one of the best all-inclusive I've visited, but the tipping policy was baffling. I'm guessing the wages are very low because everyone you come in contact with is hinting for a tip. You need to have something in your pocket (or hat) at all times, because you will need it.

Being American, I wasn't sure how much to give, but a dollar or two was sufficient even in the restaurants. You will need some for: The maid, The Bartenders, The Wait staff, The coffee bar, The barmaids (in the main lobby and the preferred lounge). In most cases they were very appreciative of it and would probably deliver you service regardless, but it made me kind of uneasy. Trust me you will need $10 a day for tips - $20 if you visit a lot of the bars. For a week visit, bring $100 in singles. A dollar or two seemed to be sufficient.

If you want to get a preferred beach lounge or pool cabana, you should drop $20 on the guy who reserves them on the 1st day. You'll see him going around with a clipboard. We did it the 1st day and had our choice of lounges all week and had a pool cabana anytime we wanted. $20 caries a lot of weight here.

I would have liked it a lot better if I didn't have to tip - after all this is all inclusive - but if this is the only gripe, I can live with it. Just know it's coming.

Tips:
1. Bring plenty of sun tan lotion. The sun is hot here
2. I recommend Building #3 - centrally located and near the action
3. Bring a big bubba mug for everyone. You will be in the minority without one. 40-50 ozs is a good size.
4. A preferred guest gets free internet access in the room and by the pool. Worth the upgrade for this alone
5. Go to the preferred lounge at 5ish. They have good hors d'ourves and a good waiter. Very relaxing after a long day
6. If you want to sail, get to the water sports early to reserve your time (opens at 9 am)
7. Bring towel clips for your lounges. It helps reserve them and it keeps the towel from blowing

Room Tip: Building #3. No need for oceanfront unless you have the 1st floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
16 Thank fedude
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other resorts within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate your time to write and shared your very valuable comments on Tripadvisor about our services & installations. Our guest´s feedback is shared with the operations staff and supervisor to improve our service in all possible ways.

We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours,

charleston, sc
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Now Sapphire last year for the Panic en la Playa event the last week of January 2012. The entire hotel plus their sister resort Now Jade were sold out in less than a minute for this event. The hotel was excellent. Our room was very big and clean. We found the food to be adequate but not great. We didn't expect great so not disappointed. We mostly ate at the Lemongrass Restaurant. Room service was closed for this event so can't comment on that. The beach was beautiful and water calm but cold. It was abnormally cool for our week there so we only got in the pool once and ocean once. The staff was excellent and friendly. The band Widespread Panic played 4 nights on the beach, and the music was excellent!! The band and crows was on fire. We heard the massages at Spa were nice but we elected to do have massages on the beach from non-hotel therapists. These were much cheaper and just as good from what others told us. The best massage though was at the Jungle Spa. This spa is in the middle of the jungle and this is where you get a true Mayan massage. If you tell them you like it hard, watch out. It'll be hard to walk out of there! These are some strong women. The Jungle Spa is about a 10 minute cab ride from Sapphire and the beach massage huts are about a 10 minute walk to left of resort (towards Puerto Morelos). I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: we had a first floor room but think a second or third floor room would have been better.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank fishcall
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your time to write a review about our services and installations. We have shared your comments with our staff to let them know your feeback.

We really hope to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordiially yours,

New York
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I have not vacationed in the Cancun Area in the past 10 years (we are world travelers and have instead gone to the Caribbean). Our last trip was not a very positive experience, especially the difficulties we had when we landed at Cancun Airport (mob scene at airport, people grabbing your bags, difficulty with hotel transfers, rude hotel staff), so we were reluctant to give it another try. Cheap Caribbean.com sent us a promotional offer for the Now Sapphire Cancun that was very attractive, so we decided to give it another try and go back for a weeks vacation. We are very glad we did.

First of all, kudos to the airport planners. We found Cancun Airport to be world class. It seems to be very efficiently run with plenty of customs facilities to assure a quick arrival (our departure airport is JFK, so it was a stark contrast for us. I guess not being run by an incompetent organization like the NY/NJ Port Authority is a great benefit). The transfer area is well organized and easy to get through. We booked our hotel transfers with Olympus Tours S. A. de C.V. and they were terrific. Very efficient and friendly/helpful staff at every level. I would highly recommend them.

When we arrived at the hotel we were impressed with the facility and the warm welcome we received. We were booked in their Preferred Club, but from what we could see everyone received the same treatment. We enjoyed the Preferred upgrade, but felt that it was not necessary. Their standard rooms and service were excellent without the added bells and whistles.

Our standard Tropical Suite was beautifully decorated and maintained. The staff at every level was friendly and helpful (including the gardeners and service personnel). The management of the Now resort is to be congratulated for their training of the people working at the hotel (especially waiters) and for creating a congenial work environment.

We found the food and drinks to be excellent as well. There was a choice of 6 restaurants that were all very good (although we had one disappointing lunch at the Blue Water Grill). We found the girls at Coco's coffee shop to always exceed our expectations, even when they found us waiting for their first brew at 6:00AM.

The only negatives we had were the quality of the beach. If the hotel is crowded, it looked like the beach would be overcrowded. There isn't a huge amount of space between the buildings and the shoreline. We also felt that we had to get out early to claim a lounge chair in one of the grass huts (if you didn't you would be stuck lying in the direct sun). Technically, as a Preferred Guest we should have been able to reserve chairs, but we found that Ivan, the concierge was difficult to find and he always seemed to be booked-up before we got to him. The beach also has a seaweed problem. They have a power rack service, but during our stay it was windy every day and the water had a lot of floating seaweed.

We also felt that the beautiful lounge area was not an option for us to "lounge" in, due to the loud, obnoxious and repetitive music they played constantly.

All-in, I would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: pick a room that is not facing the lounge or pool due to noise level
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelBoomer
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your time to write a positive review about our services and installations. All of the comments are shared with the operations staff as well as to the transportation company in order to improve the service. Thank you.

Our coco café staff will be pleased to know about your positive comments about their service.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripdavisor. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Cordially yours

Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from a two weeks stay at the Now Sapphire resort in Puerto Morelos on February 2nd.

We had a tropical garden room, having requested a garden level accommodation - it came with a large shower, which helped greatly with my two new knees). The bedding was very comfortable - we always travel with our pillows - all was fine. We never had a problem with hot water. A touch of hearing loss was a blessing, the golf carts' noise was never a bother; otherwise ear plugs would work well.

Some communication had been lost at first, our "mobility room", had been allocated to someone else, however, a temporary room was given to us upon arrival, transfer to new room was done the next morning. Approach requests with a smile, please and thank you's, do magic!!.

We loved the tropical elegance and the mid size of theNow Sapphire- the lay-out has been beautifully planned and tastefully designed, without unecessary glitz. At no time did we feel overcrowded. We were in building 13 - which gave us excellent access to the main lobbies, pool, and dining areas.

The staff from arrival to departure were wonderful. The property is beautifully manicured, the grounds staff works very hard to do so. The lounges, lobbies and other public areas are superbly kept.

The food was delightful and offered an amazing variety. The market Cafe is great. daily we were greeted by lovely hostesses Gladis Reyes and Lizbeth de Jesus. Welcomed to our table by wonderful Carlos Hernandez and his colleague Leonor - Market Cafe is a great place for breakfast and lunch.

The Paramour (French) and the Fresco (Mexican) restaurants were our favourite. We also enjoyed the Cibu (Mediteranean), the Lemon Grass (Asian- Fusion) the Blue water grill is great for burgers, etc. served on the open deck above the beach.
Several bars around the property will treat you to any type of cocktails, wines and beverages that you may wish. There is a very good selection of Chilian wines, all part of the all-inclusive.

Evening entertainment was delightful, otherwise the Moments lounge has music and one can enjoy drinks and relaxation. + Salsa classes.

The main pool has a great Zumba class daily at 11 a.m with Ana Maria and Leo.

The fitness center was very good and never too busy. It was a great first, we had two grey days during our two weeks, just right to catch up with reading and e-mails.

We did not get the preferred extra package, simply enjoyed everything. We are planning our return visit.

Our return to the Cancun airport - 20 mns away was $ 45.00 + tip.

Bernadette and James - CT - Jan 18th - Feb. 2nd, 2013

7 Thank Lamarquise_13
NowSapphireRC, Social Media at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate your feedback, which will be shared with the operations staff & supervisors. Gladys Reyes, Lizbeth, Jesus, Ana, Leo & Carlos Hernández. They will be so pleased to know they were able to assist you.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#22 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!