“Hard to find a negative”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been to a few very nice all-inclusives and this was by far the best. We did opt for the Preferred and in this case it was definitely worth it with all the extra perks. Just being in those beach accessible rooms was wonderful...just steps from your door. Ivan was the best at the beach for reserving a place...so accommodating and friendly. The Preferred lounge was so nice; always an elegant little tidbit to offer us, excellent bar, and 3 computers always available. We did not find the check in or check out to be lengthy as some people have said.
Rooms were extremely comfortable, especially the beds, and the mini-bars were stocked everyday and bottled water was very plentiful.
As for the food.....We found the buffet to be smaller than some, but with an excellent variety of offerings for breakfast lunch and dinner. The restaurants were OK, not over the top wonderful, but certainly, none of us (11) walked away hungry. All were beautifully decorated, too, as was the entire resort....such attention to detail! The lobby bar was a fun place to be before and after dinner, with very good bar service and all these little "living room" areas to relax in.
On the whole, everyone in our party loved this place and though when we travel we never go back to the same place twice, we all said that this was a "Do Again" sometime in the future.
In closing, we cannot say enough about the friendly service....from the bell boys to the room service.

Room Tip: Buildings #1 - #6 are wonderful!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lmg1430
There are newer reviews for Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well, I booked this after I was told by my travel agent that this was a nice place. We had a nice time -- hotel was clean, grounds nice, beach great, pools great, food decent for an AI - how can you go wrong?

First off, let me say that I am thin and that I don't place food as the central part of my trip. I don't weigh 400 lbs and I don't go to an AI resort thinking I am going to get amazing food. But, for AI resorts, this was above average for food.

By far and away -- the most important thing to do is to upgrade to the Preferred Club. It's cheap (I think like $80-100) but you get to pick out the beach seats and pool seats in advance (and they're always booked if you don't) and you get access to the computers, lounge (where you can make your own drinks, etc). Also, don't pay to upgrade to the ocean front -- it's the same room with a little jetted tub that isn't worth the added expense.

What I can say was how clean the facility was. In particular, the bathrooms were always spotless...and you know in Mexico how you can visit the bathroom often ;) There were always workers cleaning the bathrooms, lobby, and that was much better than what I have experienced at other resorts.

My one complaint is that the conceriege told us there was no hibachi in the Lemongrass restaurant -- but there was.
Speaking of food -- the Hibachi is worth waiting the extra bit for. The buffet isn't bad, the Bluewater Grill was average at best, but the French restaurant was very good. The Mexican was above average and the Mediterranean was good. Again, I am by no means a food junkie -- but if you expect amazing food - pay to go to the Ritz.

Room Tip: Upgrading to the preferred club is a must. It's cheap to do and you get the best seats, priorit...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank forsalebyandy
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is ok, not great. The beaches here are gross, dirty water and seaweed is everywhere on the beach, if your looking for clear waters, go to Cancun or Rivera Mya. The thing I did like about this place was that their all-inclusive alcohols contained brand name stuff, such as Absolut Vodka, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Bud Light, Etc, not the "clear bottles of supposed liquor" that some all-inclusives have. That made us happy. The food is not real good here. The restaurants take forever to wait to get in and do not take reservations, this sucks. You will wait like 2 hours every night, unless you go to the buffet. They do have 24 hour room service, that includes like 5 meals, not that great but we used it a lot when we didn't want to wait. Also these restaurants do have dress codes, guys can not wear shorts, t-shirts or flip flops, which is not what their website says! Their website also says wi-fi available, this is not exactly the truth, wi-fi is only available if you upgrade your room for 100bucks per night, otherwise you must pay 11/hr to use it in the lobby only, I was mad because I was really planning on this...however we were in the 900-rooms in the "back 40" and I picked up free wi-fi from the neighbor hotel called the excellence (I may consider staying here next time.) This hotel never has enough bars or bartenders. It takes forever to get a drink. No waitresses walking around either. The bars is also where all people and kids wanting non-alcoholic drinks get theirs too, which is VERY annoying when our wedding party was trying to get drinks and there were little kids at the bar everywhere. They should have a self service pop/water/juice bar open for those people all the time. All the bars in this hotel close at 1am also, which was kind of disappointing for those of us wanting to drink, since you are miles from town. Rooms were fairly clean. They guy tols us the hotel is only 6 years old, but I think he meant ownership, because by the looks of the grounds it is pretty old. This was not the best place I've stayed, but not the worst either. We went for a wedding so we didn't really get to pick. The wedding was nice, but they are not very private (people watching and in pics everywhere) and they didn't even clean the seaweed off the beach, so the pictures had to be photoshopped, I would have complained if it were my wedding. The spa is almost unaffordable, one massage was $595 USD, if I'm gonna pay that, I'm also gonna be staying at a higher end hotel, this was disappointing. Every day trip/tour and taxi trip into town was 100 bucks per person, they kind of have the market for this cause its not in town and not being native, we couldn't call to price check anywhere. Our friends had the VIP upgraded rooms, and honestly, our room was bigger and I liked it better, and they didn't get much more than we did, a robe and slippers I think, not worth it.

2  Thank Shanna J
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I grabbed a deal on Destinology and ended up at the Now Sapphire for a week in January. Our arrival was lovely, the greeting warm and our first impressions of the beautiful, spacious and kuxurious open air reception and lobby areas were outstanding. You feel spoilt as soon as you arrive. The pools of water between different sections of the hotel, the fountains and the very impressive swimming pool and pool bar all add to the magic of the resort. We checked in and were shown to a vast room with a balcony. The room was not particularly luxurious, but the huge amounts of space, the beautiful (and divinely comfortable) 7 foot bed and the lovely bathroom made up for the sparceness of the accommodation. The aircon unit did not let us down either.

Our days were spent mainly by the pool- the friendliness of the staff was relentless and the cocktails started flowing far too early! This was our first experience of all inclusive and we loved it.The breakfast buffet in the Market Cafe was 5 star. We could not fault it- my husband was extremely fond of the omelette and egg station and the hot pancakes and waffles were to die for. The lunches were great too, but the evening meals in the restaurants were often disappointing. We liked Lemongrass the best- the beef and udon noodles with pickled cabbage and the salmon sashimi were both excellent by any standards. We thought that the Mexican restaurant Fresco and Paramour were both distinctly average, but if I'm honest, after eating, drinking and relaxing all day, the average restaurants did nothing to mar our stay. The beach and pool were spotlessly clean, the spa was beautiful and our couples massage was one of the hightlights of our holiday. I can fully recommend the 80 minute aromatherapy massage- utter bliss! We also had a romantic dinner on the beach one evening and the quality of the food, the variation on the menu, the delicious lobster main course and the service were sensational- this was the standout evening of the holiday for both of us. We hired a car with total ease and drove into Cancun for the day. We found that everything that you could wish to do activity wise was available to you- again with the help of the lovely staff.

One tip for travellers and a bit of a warning: When you arrive, you are given "vouchers" worth 200 USD. These vouchers are redeemable against a number of things, but mostly against a romantic dinner, the spa and nicer wine than the ones that are available with the all inclusive package. We were enticed one morning over to another hotel to have breakfast and listen to a presentation about a holiday club. We were told to open our hearts and minds (not a very British concept) and that we would have a lovely breakfast, have a nosy around another hotel, listen to a 90 minute presentation and whether we were interested in joining the club or not, we would be given 200 USD to use in the spa. Not vouchers, but actual dollars, redeemable against any treatment. We went along with this and were excited about our massages and were interested to see a neighbouring hotel that we had walked past on the beach.

We were greeted at the "Dreams" hotel and endured a pretty horrendous and upsetting 3 hours at the hands of a chap called David and another called Oscar. PLEASE don't sign up to this, the 200$ of spa treatments, whilst wonderful, were not worth a full morning ruined. To begin with, David seemed lovely and friendly but we could see that this was going to be a sales pitch. We were given a mediocre breakfast (nothing compared to the Now Sapphire) and shown an incredible suite and then taken to a room and were spoken to like children. We were asked personal details about our finances. Words that we were using were scribbled in massive letters on brochures in front of us. It transpired that David had no communication skills whatsoever, kep taking the conversation off on irrelevant tangents and 2 hours in we were none the wiser with regards to the holiday club, nor it's costs. We could see that the holiday club was a complicated proposal and we just wanted to know how much it would cost to join. We expected a small annual membership, or maybe a monthly fee. Oh no. The crux of it was that they wanted 25,000$ from us to guarantee our holidays for the next 10 years. Yes, you read right. 25,000$. I nearly fell over laughing. When I tried to explain that we were planning a family and we wanted to move to a larger house and that we save for holidays and only have them when we can afford them, I was made to feel like a total imbecile. Oscar, who had previously been saccharine to the extreme suddenly became very hostile and as good as told me that I was ridiculous. He could not see why I would not pay up front to guarantee myself a good rate on the holidays that I wanted to have in Mexico for the next 10 years. He flounced off from the presentation and we were passed to another 2 sales people before someone would call us a cab and allow us to leave the hotel. If offered the "Dreams" tour, please say no. I was fuming about the whole thing for the rest of that day.

Stay at the Now Sapphire, where your every whim is catered for.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very nice Hotel resort, but Overpriced! 11$ for internet in the business centre seems a lot to us! Please dont shop in the shops in hotel, they taking a mickey! Tequila cost 85$ and in Playa del Carmen price is 30$!!! but Beach was great! restaurants great as well!Our top was Paramour! than mediterian, Mexican food was great! poor service, and sometimes lack of attention for the details were missing! We asked few times during the breakfast waiter for the water , didnt receive, or we ordered chicken burger and received beef in Bluewatter grill, room srvice I'l specifically asked for french fries and they brought us chips(packet crips in sache). Dont trust sales people, there is always 25% of important information missing! (f.e vip services desk) I still say was good resort, but as gm mentioned they expect our expectations I'll have to say they dont! anyway hope our opinion helped!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marek F
Reviewed January 22, 2013

After spending 7 delightful days in this beautiful resort, I looked at some of the reviews and found quite a few perplexing, so I thought I would share my two cents.
I agree that the Preferred Guest Check-in can take a while, however you are in a beautiful comfortable room with all the drinks you want and ample snacks. Why not make the best of it? you are on vacation after all!
The staff was wonderful all week long. You'd be amazed at how far a simple smile can go. They never pressured for tips (ever), but you'd be remiss if you didn't tip them as they work very hard.
The buffet was, well a buffet, but the restaurants were simply divine. We naturally tried them all and didn't once not enjoy the food and service. Do yourself a favor, spend one evening eating outside at either Lemon Grass or Paramour. It'll cost you a bottle of wine (which vary in price, with plenty of cheaper options) but it will be worth every penny. You'll feel like your on a date from The Bachelor (minus the d-bags) as you enjoy your exquisite meal in a gorgeous setting.
They NEVER skimped out on the alcohol for any drink. Likely the contrary actually.
The rooms were very large and very comforting. We didn't opt for the room with the hottub on the balcony, but can only imagine that luxury, as even without it, the room felt rich and alive. Comfortable beds, robes, minibar, the whole nine yards.
The gym was what you'd expect from a resort. Nothing great, but not bad at all. Bonus for the beach-side view as well, adding some motivation to your exercising.
The pool was simply gorgeous as was the beach. For those that found the reservation complicating/frustration, let me break it down for you. The first day, go see either Ivan for the beach or Isreal for the Pool and book a spot. Show up the next day before 11am and bob's your uncle. Rince and repeat. Its not complicated.
Overall we had a wonderful time and will recommend this little paradise to all our friends should they be in the mood for a luxurious vacation in a beautiful spot.

3  Thank Ericgage
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed from Jan 12-19 2013. Very enjoyable. We had the preferred option which entitled us to quick check in ; reserved spot at the beach and adult pool[bali bed]; breakfast at the Cibu;(ask for the Green Bull juice]. Tell them the Crazy Canadian sent you. We were in building 2 [tropical view] ; nice room ; spacious and clean and quiet ; close to beach and pool area. Free WIFI in room which worked fairly well. Preferred option only [unfortunately].
Great staff! Friendly,and hard working . We did not use room service. We did not use the spa services or gym .. We were given coupons for discounted services but did not
use them.
WARNING! If you ARE interested in purchasing a TIME SHARE in Mexico by all means take them up on an offer to visit a sister resort for a free breakfast and tour and a sales pitch. If you ARE NOT interested in this DO NOT GO. Simple as that.
Food was good . good steak at Grill ; Cibu and French were also good and they had three theme nights [ food and entertainment] which was also good
ONE LAST THING. PLEASE . If you reserve a spot on the beach or a bali bed [ preferred} USE them! We were at both and some spots were taken and never used. If you cannot go for some reason be considerate and cancel so someone else can use them.
have a great trip

Room Tip: Bld 1-4 are close to beach and pretty much everything else
2  Thank sunkink13
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!