“A Nice Place to stay”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Were there Dec 26-Jan 1. We booked two garden view rooms. Overall the resort was very nice and we enjoyed ourselves. I wouldn't stay here again not because it was a sub part resort, but because there are soo many other great places to stay as well.
Pluses: The rooms are VERY spacious, mini bar is stocked with your favorite beers and sodas (just mention what you like at check in an poof it is there!). The pool area was wonderful. Huge, but designed in such a way that there are lots of areas so no one area is too crowded. One area is for the swim up bar, another has a jaccuzzi, another swimming area, last area had these really cool benches submerged that you could lie on and just soak. Beach was nice white sand, they would clean it every morning.
Restaurants were nice, Options included buffet, French, Mediteranean, Asian, Steak House, Mexican. Also an outdoor option during the day. We liked the Steak House the Best (HUGE steaks, baked potatoes, creamed spinach, ect!). There is a wait to get in, so be prepared but if you are flexible just put your name in (they give you a beeper) and go hang out by the pool or in the main bar area until they call you. They do have premium alcohol brands, so just enjoy the wait with a great cocktail.
All the staff was so nice, you just need to remember this is Mexico... the pace is much slower so sure they don't get you your oj right away and may be a bit slow in serving your second cup of coffee, but they do it with a wonderful smile which more than makes up for everything if you just take it easy and start living on Mexico time.
Areas of Concern: Beach/Pool chairs. If you do not reserve your chairs by 7:30am you are pretty much out of luck for the day, which was sooo frustrating. This is would prob. be the #1 reason I would not come back. Why go to a beach resort if you can't get a beach chair. Oh yea, you can if you upgrade to "preferred" which I found rather insulting (more on that later), us "common folk" just had to get up early and commandeer chairs. And I didn't see them clearing off any chairs so by the mid afternoon most chairs looked like they were unused but the towels were still on them so there was no way to tell, and thus again not enough chairs for everyone. Oh by the way, they also run out of towels by around 1:00 so again you need to get there early.
Preferred program: Overall I found this program totally insulting to anyone NOT utilizing the program. If you are a preferred guest, you can get a room on the water (but not so good during the day because it gets noisy and no privacy), they reserve chairs for you, you can have breakfast in a closed in room-why would you even want this?, and you get a small private lounge with free wifi (aren't you supposed to be on vacation! turn off your electronics folks!) Oh and a small private pool-not too nice. Overally I couldn't justify the extra money and wouldn't spring for it in the future either
If you have trouble walking you might not like this resort, the garden room buildings are very far from the main building. Check a map first before booking your room, it will make a difference.
Lastly, if if you are older you are going to HATE the bathtubs/showers. It was really difficult getting in and out and would be a serious hazard to anyone older or with walking/getting around issues.
WARNING: do not go here for New Years. It was an absolute disaster with totally awful food, a 3 hour minimum wait to be seated in the only 2 restaurants open that night, no food selections (if you have kids avoid this night at all costs), and the only way to get a seat in the main lounge that night was to order a $100 bottle of wine. There was almost a riot that night from most of the guests. This one nite took our feeling of this resort from an 8+ down to a 1. they really blew it here, so in light of that I would not recommend it for a desination wedding, meeting, ect.
Overall this is a very nice resort, nicely decorated, pleasant staff, decent food, comfortable accomodations, convenient location (less than 1/2 hour from airport!) 1/2 hour to Playa del Carmen/ XCaret. But it wasn't so wonderful that I would go back either. A one time, very nice resort, you won't be disappointed, but you also it didn't wow me so much to make it a return to place.

Room Tip: No elevators so 3rd floor rooms might tire older people out. Don't choose rooms that border the...
8  Thank mdpters
There are newer reviews for Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon... we were there for one week (Dec. 29, 2012 - Jan. 5, 2013). Unless you plan to pay more than the "All-inclusive" fee, then it's not worth your time or money!
- We waited, on average, 2 hours for dinner at the restaurants at the resort. Eating at the Market Buffet was the fastest dining option... but unappetizingly redundant.
- Terrible New Year's Eve experience!!! There are 6 restaurants at the resort and for New Year's Eve, they shut down all but 2... After waiting 2 hours and still no table, my husband asked for a refund since we were not being provided what we paid for. The immediate response from management was, "Come with me, I have a place for you." We were led to a large (almost empty), secluded dining room where guests were partying the night away and we had food in front of us within 5 minutes. We later learned that you had to RSVP to attend this private New Year's Eve party by payng $100... And they say it's "All-inclusive"... It definitely was NOT!
- The all-inclusive fee was supposed to account for gratuity... but unless you tipped the service staff, you weren't given much attention at all!
- We upgraded to the VIP package and feel it was hardly worth it! You had to make arrangements with either Ivan or Isreal a day in advance for reserved chairs/Bali beds on the beach or the private pool... Even after making our reservation as advised we waited 45 minutes for the staff to provide us a reserved location. The perk to the upgrade was having a well airconditioned room to access computers with internet.
- Unless you are SERIOUSLY considering buying into a timeshare, then do NOT waste your time getting sucked in to the talk of the "coupon books" or "we will send you to another resort to experience our other propoerties and even give you breakfast". The sales pitch was a scam and they were relentless in taking "NO" for an answer! We were sucked into the beginning of the scam just 5 minutes after checking in... Iliana is a sweet woman that has mastered the skill of confusing you into making a committment to attend the sales pitch!
- I don't have the patience at this time to share the ignorance of our airport transportation screw up. For now, just know that Amstar/Apple Vacations is a total JOKE! Stay tuned... that review is yet to come!
This was our first trip to Mexico... needless to say, we will not be returning! If Now Sapphire is anything like the other resorts... rethink your vacation plans!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just returned from our family vacation at the NOW Sapphire in Cancun. We had a wonderful time. (12/29-01/05) We didn't experience any of the problems mentioned in the other reviews and the resort was full the entire time. The staff was amazing and so friendly even if we didn't tip every time they served us. The grounds were gorgeous, the pool beautiful and the beach gorgeous! Seriously, it's a beach, there is suppose to be sea grass, sand, and fish. The Sapphire had the best maintained beach in the area and we walked at least a mile or more in each direction. The food was delicious but more than our digestive systems could take for the several days we were there. We did much better when we only ate one main meal a day and focused on the fresh fruit and vegetables that were always available. The Mexican food was delicious, our favorite!

We were traveling with our 21 and 22 year old daughters and they ad a great time. We played tennis, enjoyed the bike tour with Mauricio and Leo to Peurto Morales, the snorkeling tour with Jorge, Roberto, and Eric (booked through the resort) and the live music and bands in the lobby in the evenings. There was always plenty to do from Zumba and salsa dancing lessons to yoga and water aerobics. Hannah is a firecracker! She was bubbly and fun day after day, one activity after another. I watched her leading activities with the kids on several occassions. She was awesome and the kids and parents loved her. By far the highlight of our trip was the gorgeous beach! We loved our stay.

Room Tip: We didn't think it was necessary to upgrade to the preferred or beach access rooms. Our tropical...
9  Thank Margaret P
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed from Dec 29th to Jan 5th. Overall we had a great stay. We had 3 rooms booked in the preferred club. We had 2 in building 4 and one in building 1. Both rooms had great locations. Preferred was totally worth the extra money. My kids and husband used the wifi a lot and being able to reserve chairs on the beach and preferred pool were a big bonus (no need to get up at 7am to reserve chairs). The location of your rooms in preferred section is convenient also. One area they need to improve on is room service. It's the worst we have ever had and we have stayed at many Dreams and Secrets resorts so we have something to compare it to. Never waited less than 1.5 hrs which is crazy.

Pools and Beach
We had no complaints with either. Yes there is some seaweed but there is a large reef right there. What do expect?? The sand was awesome and went in the ocean to cool off. Yes I have been to better beaches but read reviews before leaving and knew what to expect. The main pool is huge and very busy. Our girls spent every afternoon here as they had music and a fun atmosphere. There were tons of babies and small kids here though so my husband and I preferred the preferred pool in the afternoons. Both pools were refreshing and full of people all the time. I think freezing is an exaggeration which I have read by others. Service at both pools and beach was slow but they did come around and ask if you wanted drinks. Tips didn't matter, it was just hit and miss and depended on your server (which changes every day). Again we would just get up and go to either the pool or beach bar ourselves..no big deal.

We had no problems with the food. No I don't think it was as great as Secrets Maroma but we also didn't pay as much to stay here. We ate breakfast at Cibu every morning and lunch at either the outdoor restaurant or buffet. We preferred the restaurant but both had lots of options. Our dinners were all good. Favourite would be Cibu, least favourite was Mexican. We figured if you went by 7pm (which is early for our preference) we didn't wait and we had 6 in our party. So we just ate earlier than usual and it worked. If you went after 7pm wait times were long.

New Years Eve

We weren't as impressed as past years with New Years. We have been in Punta Cana now for 5 in a row and they do fireworks and stuff. They also pass out champagne to everyone. At Now Sapphire we were annoyed you had to buy bottles of wine at over $100 per bottle. We were with our daughters and friends and they wanted us to buy 3 bottles. We talked them down to 2 and just paid it. The dinner wasn't great although we had great service. Our waiters were awesome and were tipped accordingly. The lobby party was fun after dinner. We had a good night but they could improve in this area.

Staff

We had some amazing service and some not so great. Housekeeping was great. We never had a problem with towels or anything and we received turndown every night. If they came early we just took the towels. The waiters and bar staff work their butts off. This hotel needs to hire more staff. The bartenders at the lobby bar at night never stop. My husband and I would sit there and watch them in amazement. I don't know how they did it night after night. We tipped very well at the lobby bar and they deserved every cent. Wait staff is good overall friendly with some more efficient then others but overall good. Main pool bar staff was also awesome. Lastly Ivan and Isreal ( preferred pool concierge, not positive of his name) were both great. We reserved beds everyday with no problems and they were always around if you needed anything.

So overall we had a great trip. The weather was awesome. We decided that there weren't a lot of negatives at this resort and we also wouldn't say there were a lot of standouts (other than the over worked staff) but overall everything was good and you can't complain about that. We would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Preferred club for location, wifi and chair reservations. Building 1 thru 4 are all great. Building...
1  Thank TraRic
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our third time to the Mayan and first time to this resort. We will not be going back. There are good things and there are bad things about this resort. The rooms are beautiful and beds are the most comfortable we have stayed in. I do enjoy a morning coffee but about the fourth day in we ended up calling the front desk to get the coffee restocked. A couple of days we only had one towel in our room and we did leave tips everyday. I don't think the upgrade is worth it, the only benefit for upgrade is the free wifi. Not worth the price to upgrade. We had to be up early to save chairs or by eight am there were none left so needless to say I never got to sleep in once unless I didn't want to go to the beach that day. There is not enough chairs for everyone on the resort. There is only one evening bar/lobby in the evening and again not enough room for everyone that wants to sit and enjoy the evening. They have an evening disco area which doesn't open till ten... My suggestion... Open it earlier more sitting area for people after dinner. They did serve Bud and Bud Light which I have never seen before at an Mexican resort. The food was good no complaints with that. Favorite was the Lemongrass and the French. The water that came out of the taps seem to smell and even bottle water tasted funny unless really cold which that barely ever happened. We did do an adventure with aqua world we did the submarine and the snorkel... Well the reef was beautiful what we saw in the submarine tour but the snorkel didn't see much at all the tour guide took us out and we swam back to the boat...worst snorkel tour ever. I do enjoy Mexico and will be back but not to that resort.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Disappointed T
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has it all. They acquired the experience to please everyone and those who complain or give it a negative review, in my opinion, are unhappy because something didn't go their way. I saw the review before mine (a few before), how would anyone review negatively a popular fully booked resort because their rooms are not attached to their kids rooms. Were they expecting that the resort should start moving people around in order to satisfy only them?? And to say that the grounds are not well maintained!!?? Not so. But there are unhappy people in the world and will always be so they won't ever be satisfied. Enough with negative people, here's my review:

The grounds are excellent, clean and well maintained. We were there during the holidays and we never felt overcrowded. They have a wonderful live band every single night so if you want to dance batchata, salsa, merengue, compa, pop rock, rock & roll.... U have it all. Plus for the younger crowd the night club is there for them.

The restaurant service was excellent in everyway tip or no tip but we are big tippers and we enjoy it. The buffet food is delicious and their mojitos are the best, Cuba barmen need to go to them for some mojito lessons. At the buffet, try to have a seat in Carlos section and tell him Richard, his wife and their 2 cute kids sent you, he's there for breakfast and lunch and amaze yourself with his excellent service.

All the restaurants have a no reservation policy, they will give you a pager and when it's your turn they will let you know so in the mean time you could be dancing or having a drink at the lobby bar... We never waited more than 20 minutes and sometimes not at all. We tried them all and they were excellent.

Now the fact that it's our 5th time says it all but I still wanted to review it especially after reading the negative review.

When we go on vacation we always book the best rooms and the club services. I recommend the beach view rooms, they are fully sea front and depending on the weather, if not too windy you will have turquoise water. Don't forget that this is winter in Mexico and the winds are strong depending on the days.

The beach is beautiful. We had walks both sides of the hotel. On one side you can walk all the way to the fishing small town of Puerto Morelos but be careful if you have kids because midway the 5 stars hotel previously known as ceiba del mar was sold to the chain Desire resorts and you will see fully naked people in front of Desire. Not a pretty sight especially if you have children but the city of Puerto Morelos is working on fixing the problem. In general not too many people walk that far but we did almost everyday, it's our way for tanning, instead of sitting on a chair the whole day.

I was surprised to read a review that the drinks are mixed with water!! No way they were. We tried many drinks and it's not the case.

If you have kids, this is the place to be. The kids club is excellent and open from 9.30am till 9.30pm and they serve lunch & dinner. Isn't that amazing? We missed our kids and when we wanted to get them they refused to leave the kids club...so enjoy your freedom..

Those of you without kids, you can have the privacy of the all adults pool with beds etc...

Go there and enjoy, you will see us there again, that's for sure.

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank Richard-hm-Lina
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've been to 5 all-inclusive resorts now, 3 in the Cancun/Tulum area. This is my favorite place. It is a well kept up resort. The entertainment people are not "in your face" and the service was fantastic. It seems to be mostly mid-westerners, so we really enjoyed the other guests also. It was nice to have the beach safely open for miles (you can walk to Puerto Morelos) so you don't feel jailed. Now the "but".

We came for New Years, and this place decided to provide basically NO other option other than the ones where you have to purchase wine. The option to go to a restaurant did exist, but they only kept the two smallest restaurants open. One of the restaurants was adults only, so if you had underaged people in your party - you had one option. In addition, they would not use the "beeper" system - so they basically made you stand in line, wasting your New Years eve away. So we, a group of 16 decided the wine option was really the only option. They required a bottle of wine for every two people. The lowest cost wine was $96 US. It was a $7 bottle of wine back home. The wine actually ranged up to $795/bottle, averaging $300/bottle. So basically - at an all inclusive you were forced to pay an additional $50 - $100 per person in order to go to their New Years event. I just thought it was unethical. We went to the party and it was great, a good time.

The only other thing I can say to be careful of is - this hotel is not organized. If you're a small party with 2-3 people and one room, no sweat. We were 16 people, 6 rooms. They never could understand the reservation and check in check out was very frustrating.

Even though I loved this place, I would choose not to return. The New Years policy seemed such a slap in the face, and there are so many options out there - I'd probably try someplace else, or return to the other resorts I've been to in Cancun

Room Tip: The rooms really vary in their design. I suggest you have a room described to you and promised. I s...
1  Thank David F
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!