“GREATEST VACATION OF OUR LIVES”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manahawkin, NJ
“GREATEST VACATION OF OUR LIVES”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at the Now Sapphire in November. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Upon our arrival, Geraldo greeted us and asked if we would be interested in staying at the Now Jade. We said no, we booked the Sapphire and want to stay here. He said no problem at all, we are just overbooked. If you were willing to go for 2 days, we will upgrade you to an Oceanfront Suite (building 4/2nd floor) upon your return or you could go to the Jade and stay there for your vacation and come back next year for 5 days/4nights. We chose to go check out Jade and then returned to the most unbelievable resort on the planet. No words can express how awesome the staff was. When you arrive, meet Geraldo, anything you need, he is the man. Best Vacation Ever!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Preferred - so worth it. Stay in building 3, 4 or 5 Oceanfront. If you can stay on th...
4 Thank kitkatyls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,423)
  • Polish first
CT
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My best friend and frequent travel companion and I had the pleasure of taking off and spending a week in Mexico from November 10th to the 16th, 2012. After a lot of research and careful review we decided on the Now Sapphire Resort in Puerto Morelos. We also decided to upgrade to the Preferred Club given the cost was minimal. With the Preferred package came a private check in area located at the VIP lounge. There you can relax, enjoy a top shelf cocktail and light snack while being checked in. As our room was not quite ready we changed into our swim attire and explored the resort. There is a large pool area with a swim up bar that attracts the younger crowd and is constant with games and fun times. The beach is very very nice, the sand is cool to the touch and water is beautiful. Each day there the water became warmer and warmer. Again one of the perks of the Preferred club was having the ability to reserve a palapa on the beach with chairs each day or a bali bed and chairs by the Adults only pool. We opted for the beach each day and would go down in the morning to find our name on the palapa waiting for us. Mid to late afternoon we would walk to the Preferred pool and take advantage of the last of the sun and the cocktails offered poolside. The beach bar was nice, although I will tell you they don't have a large selection of top shelf liquors and the ones they display are not used in your drinks unless you request it. Our room was nice with 2 double beds, a sitting area and balcony overlooking tall palms and other trees. NOTE - mosquitos would come out after sunset, keep your patio door closed. Amenities were very nice, bathrobes, slippers and pillow menu were just a few. The resort is very nice, the grounds are immaculate, clean and green, very well manicured. The lobby area is enormous with many sitting areas with couches, chairs and tables for relaxing and having cocktails. The restaurants are all ala carte with the exception of the one buffet area which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurants do not take reservations and on several nights you will find at least one closed. Many times we would have to wait for a table though there were empty tables available. I believe this was due to not overwhelming the kitchen staff. They use the pager system and it works great. All the restaurants had great food and great service. We only ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet and opted for the ala Cartes each night for dinner. They do have a dress code and do stick to it for the most part. One thing that we noticed and it surprised us was the amount of small children under the age of 5 at this resort, We asked about this and were told that it was unusual to have children that young here it is usually adults and older children, although they do have a kids club and activities for them. Given the dining options it really wasn't child friendly for that age group. Over all the resort is very nice, beach and pool areas were great. Only resort I've been to that provides floats for the pools. Drinks could have been better, food was very good and rooms were nice. In fact my girlfriend that went with me is returning with her husband the last week of January.

1 Thank countrygirl59
alberta , canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Now Sapphire will be a wonderful resort for many visitors, however for anyone who has stayed at other top "5" star Mexican resorts, Sapphire will likely miss the mark you are accustomed to.

The Pros:

The grounds are beautiful - lush and tropical

Rooms are clean with two tables, flat screen TV, firm mattress, a powerful blowdryer, hand held shower head for quick rinse offs, daily stocked mini bar, lovely views ( both ocean views and tropical garden views are great - choose what fits your budget - we had the upgraded ocean front view which also had a hot tub on the balcony).

Pools:

-main pool is a large, free form design with swim up bar and some floaties available -
-children have their own pool in The Core Zone but we only saw children use the main pool.
-Privilege pool is an adults only, VERY quiet, private pool with bar service. There are bali beds available but reservations need to be made a day in advance for each day you wish to reserve. --Note* This pool area is only for Preferred guests- in my opinion definately worth the extra $ - if you have weather like we did- windy and wet- it is great to have a covered bali bed that you can be outside in and not get cold and wet!

Beach:
Lots of palapas available, as well as lounge chairs. Palapas need to be reserved a day in advance (privilege guests only) - you must get down to your chair by 11 am or risk losing your reservation- all you need to do is put a magazine or sunscreen on your towel to show that you intend on using the reserved chairs that day
Miles of flat white sand to walk.
Beach bar service.
Sea grass does wash up regularly throughout the day but it is swept up by a special tractor continuously.
Ocean was quite choppy due to winds.
"Free" hobie cats, kayaks and snorkels available to resort guests however they may ask you for a tip.
Restaraunts: nicely appointed, pleasant servers
Smooth check in

The Cons:

will appear to be petty to some readers but when you compare one "5" star resort with another this is where Now Sapphire takes some criticism (Please note that this relates to the Privilege package we purchased at booking)

Examples of lax service or cost cutting practices:

- no welcome drink
- mini bar snacks for your first day only -(most upgraded rooms at other hotels provide snacks every day!)
-towel animal on bed for last day only
-beach bar service - the poor bartender had to walk the beach taking orders himself, go back to make the drinks and then head back out to deliver them - a very slow process!
-only one server in the lobby to take and serve drink orders in the evening
-employees who didn't take initiative or seem to care - I enjoy being recognized, getting a smile and an Hola back in greeting

The most concerning situation that occurred while we were at Now Sapphire was the large number of people who became very ill during their stay. We talked to 24 guests who had either gotten sick or had someone in their party who had gotten sick (I was one of the unfortunate ones who did become violently ill). It was so prevalent that we started to wonder whether it was due to food contamination or influenza! Hopefully the resort will put out more hand sanitizer and enforce the use of it especially upon entering the self serve buffets.

I wish I could say that we would go back to Now Sapphire but I can't. While I loved the lushness of the property, there were just too many weaknesses overall.

If you are going to Now Sapphire, I would recommend the Privilege level. The private pool area, use of the bali beds and reservable palapas was a very nice perk.

Take the time to talk to the employees and find out about their lives. Some have fascinating stories to tell.

A special nod to Raphael in the Privilege Lounge. He is a gentle, refined man and we appreciated his kindness.

Room Tip: If an ocean view is important, get a Privilege (preferred) room on second or third floor - first flo...
3 Thank happycamper1
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Francisco was my favorite employee, he really knew how to connect with the guests, he is so funny! If I comeback next year, I better see Francisco still there ! The shows were excellent. The Halloween show was great! It was scary too but that's the point. I recommend Now Sapphire for anybody's vacation. Its money well spent, and worth spending. I recommend also meeting Francisco!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank maccantu14
san diego, ca
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Now Sapphire is a sister hotel to the Now Jade but they couldn't be more different. Where Jade is contemporary and modern and most rooms get an ocean view, Sapphire is a jungle retreat with wild animals, birds singing, and a totally relaxing atmosphere. I booked a tropical view room with the preferred upgrade which included a private check-in. As soon as we arrived we were served a blue cold drink in a champagne flute and walked over to the preferred lounge. Inside we checked-in with no problem where I requested a king size bed and a 2nd story which both were provided. I asked how much it would be to upgrade to ocean view and was told $700 so we passed on it! The preferred lounge offers a small but delicious breakfast buffet, snacks throughout the day, and there is staff that serves everything so all you have to do is show up, sit and wait. There is a couch with a flat screen tv and also free internet access on three computers. There is a bar with top shelf liquor and an espresso/cappucino machine. You can also ask for beer and bottled water. After check-in we were driven in a golf cart to our room. The grounds of this hotel could not be more gorgeous. The foliage is at least 20 feet high and it's filled with palm trees and every tropical plant you can imagine. The walkways lead to separate 'casitas' which have 8 units on each floor and there are 3 floors in each casita. The room is ample size, there is a separate couch with table area and another small table with two chairs. In the sleeping area we had a king size bed, there was an armoire with a flat screen tv and a mini fridge with sodas, beer, and water. It was supposed to be restocked every day but it was not. Not a big deal since we got most of our drinks from the pool, bar area, or preferred lounge. There is also a desk and mirror next to the tv. There is a large size closet and a small safe inside the closet, an ironing board and an umbrella (which came in handy because it rained). The bathroom is the only complaint I have about the room. It's about the size of a motel 6 bathroom. It's nicely appointed in travertine but it is still very, very small. One sink, regular sized tub, and the badet and toilet face each other and they are very close so not too much leg room. The fan in the bathroom did not work well either. Water pressure was good. The beach of this hotel is fabulous, whatever grass comes on shore is removed with a tractor several times per day. The sand and water is gorgeous, there is free snorkeling, kayaking, catamarans at the resort. Towels you get from a little hut close to the main pool. There are palapas on the beach. At the preferred section you have to find Ivan to make a reservation. This is very bothersome because you need to make the reservation at least a day ahead and then show up between 9-11am the next day to claim your spot. Some days Ivan said he was booked up (excuse, I just paid a couple grand for this vacation and you are telling me you don't have a chair for me on the beach???) so that did not sit well with me. He told us to show up the next day at 11 and who ever did not claim their reserved seat that he would give it to us. I did not understand this system at all because all he had to do is pull up more chairs to accomodate everyone. There is a bar on the beach too. The main pool is humongous and very clean, with a swim up bar and there are daily activities organized by hotel staff. I did not spend much time at the main pool but from what I observed there were plenty of lounge chairs. We spent most of the time at the preferred pool where it was peaceful and quiet since no kids are allowed. We spent two days under our priavate palapa bed and one day in regular lounge chairs. Israel is the guy you want to make reservations with and it works just like with Ivan at the beach. You make a reservation one day in advance (Israel was not happy if you asked him about booking more than one day ahead), and you show up between 9-11 to claim your spot. The nice thing is that you can have your spot for all day long, so we would show up in the morning, put our stuff down, lay around, and then if we felt like strolling the beach we left or if we wanted to go eat we could do that too, without loosing our spot. This pool is surrounded by gorgeous lush tropical plants, it's so serene that I felt like I was in paradise. You can totally relax and enjoy yourself. Israel brings the drinks to you or you can walk to the bar. The only bummer is that there is no food at the preferred pool (I don't think the main pool has food either) so when you get hungry you have to go to the buffet or the grill restaurant. Just to give you an idea how tropical this place is our balcony faced the preferred pool but we could not see anything. Like I mentioned before this resort has amazing grounds, the lobby has pools of water with rock designes. There are water fountains in each pool giving you a calming soothing noise. The main area is under a humongous palapa where people congragated each night. There are plenty of sofas and chairs and each night there is live music playing, casino night, or some other activity. There is also a bar in the area and the best part of the resort CoCo Cafe! This is where you will get the best lattes, espressos, cappucinos and hot chocolate. They also have sweets and desserts there too. This is the hot spot of the resort, we came here every day in the morning and afternoon because the coffee served inside the restaurants is black and not good tasting. Plus every time you order coffee at the restaurant you have to specifically ask for the creamer. The restaurants in this resort are nice, the food is served warm and I wish it was served hot. The best resaurants to eat at are the Fresca which has mexican food, and Paramour, the french restaurant. Cibu, the meditteranean, and the japanese restaurant were OK at best. We had sushi at the japanese restaurant (you can opt for hibachi) and it was kind of dry. One thing that I did not like is the fact that if you wanted to be seated in the outdoors section of the restaurant you had to purchase a wine from the menu. This made me angry because I had already upgraded to the preferred option and now they wanted me to spend even more money? I was fine dining inside and not spending the extra. The main buffet had a large selection of food and I would recommend you try the 'green juice' they serve. It's made of spinach, aloe, cactus, pineapple and orange juice and it's simply delicious. Another fabulous part of this hotel is the spa Pevonia. We booked a couples 50 minute deep tissue massage which was rather very pricey, but since we had a $250 voucher we only had to pay an additional $48 plus tip for the masseuses. Our massages were booked for 7pm and we showed up at 6pm to use the facilites. I recommend you do this because you get to use the steam room, sauna, foot massage pool, hot water and cold water pools, and other really awesome large pool which has cascading waterfalls that massage your back and a seat that has water jets in it. The massages themselves were very relaxing and I totally recommend getting some sort of spa deal. In conclusion this resort is small, gorgeous, lush, and totally worth every penny. Another fun fact, there are two talking parrots in a large cage close to CoCo Cafe. We had morning talks with them and sometimes they would say funny stuff. I would come back with my husband or with kids if we had them. This resort is very kid friendly because they have kid activites for the entire day and a kids zone. There is also an arcade with table tennis, air hockey and other games. Definitely the best resort we have stayed at in Riviera Maya thus far.

Room Tip: I stayed in casita #14 which is located close to everything. It is in front of the preferred pool, n...
4 Thank lovemyboston
New York
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Friends of mine were getting married, so what better excuse to go on vacation to Mexico and stay at a beautiful resort for a mini vacation!!

The restort itself was beautiful, the staff very friendly, the massage services (extra fee), were divine (and the spa gorgeous). The pool was massive and stunning, but there seemed to always be a towel shortage. Unless we went super early, grabbed towels before breakfast, there always seemed to be a vast lack of towels. (and the wait for new fresh ones was always 30-60 minutes). There was no free wifi, (not even in the lobby), you were able to purchase wifi, but its only for one device, which is a pain, and even though i brought my own international plan, there was no reception in the rooms, so my international plan was useless. Finding a signal/good spot to for wifi was a challenge!!

I am not a terribly picky eater, but I was not happy with the food. I did ask around, and it seems people had mixed opinions, some in our group loved it and some hated it. I thought that the food was average at best. (It might sound nuts, but I expected the typical mexican cuisine, to be better in Mexico, but it wasn't. A relatively narrow selection, too much fries/and pizza (I'm at a resort not fast food joint). The restaurants, had a small selection, of nice things, but not spectacular either. The service was slow, and the wait was long. Some of the drinks were good, but the frozen on tasted like soap or some artificial flavoring, and while I love Margaritas, I couldn't stomach any of them. There is a little coffee shop on the premisses, best coffee/expresso/etc is there ... if you stay here, go get yourself a nice cappuccino or frozen drink there. Its a must.

Otherwise, the restort was lovely, rooms were clean and beautiful. I'm not sure if I would stay there again, but overall I think the place was nice.

2 Thank YelizavetaYR
west virginia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I vacationed here from Nov. 15-22 and have been to Mexico 20 or more times,and we never stay at the same resort. We found this resort to be nice since it was not real large and had a nice layout. Everything was within easy walking distance. The beach was nice soft sand and they used a tractor with somekind of machine hooked on the back to clean the seaweed off the beach several times a day. We stayed in building #13 on the second floor and the room was very nice, especially the A.C. It was cold! How nice is that after being in the sun all day then coming in to a nice cool room. I have to say the mini bar kept our drinks nice and cold also. Our balcony wasn,t much, since it looked out into the jungle. We had a nice check in where they give you a cold wash cloth to wipe your hands upon arrival. They after checking in, they pass you over to someone else who says they want to explain how things are laid out in this resort, but beware, it,s just another time share scheme. Just say you are not interested, and they leave you alone. My one big problem was there are birds flying around in the buffet. The Market Cafe (buffet) is the only place you can get breakfast, and they do have the food set up behind glass doors that open and close, but they open the glass sliding doors so you have the ocean breeze coming in, because it is not air conditioned, and since the doors are open, there are birds flying in. I don,t want any birds anywhere near my food and I don,t like them flying around when I am trying to eat. Now for the rest of the restaurants, they were air conditioned and all enclosed and beautiful. The housekeeping was very well done, and Solomon was the person assigned to do our room, and he did a great job everyday. They have a coffee shop there called Co Co Cafe and Marlete and Carman were two great ladies who worked there and were wonderful. Such nice personalities. The entertainment team works so hard all day, then in the evenings they do some really good shows and have so much energy. We met Ana Maria our second day, and she was just the sweetest little thing. She sure can dance! The pool was kept very clean but it was so cold, we didn,t really enjoy being in it. The lounges around the pool were made of rattan and very comfortable. They don,t give you towel cards, and you don,t have to make reservations for the restaurants, and no wrist bands, all of which we loved. The food was average, the drinks were very good, and service in the Market Cafe great. Carlos and Ishmel made our meals there so much fun. We miss them already. All in all we had a great time!

Room Tip: There are no elevators in this resort, so if you don,t like steps, stay on the ground floor.
4 Thank beachbunny48
#24 of 175 in Cancun
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!