“Great experience with Preferred Club” 4 of 5 bubbles

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
“Great experience with Preferred Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Having never been to an all-inclusive resort, we have nothing to compare our experience to, but the Now Sapphire far exceeded our expectations based on other Trip Advisor reviews.

We booked through Cheap Carribean and went in the off season, (early October) so for the money we paid, we considered it an excellent value. The main occupants of the resort at the time we visited were middle aged couples and older, some newlyweds, and some families.

We upgraded to Preferred Club, which gets you access to the Club pool, the Club beach, and the Club lounge, free internet, as well as a room closer to the center of the resort. If you are having a romantic vacation, I would recommend this upgrade: I can't compare it to the regular rooms, and the beaches are all the same, but having the Club pool was nice, as they reserve a cabana for you and there are no children allowed. The Club lounge is also nice, because it has a small buffet all day and a "serve yourself" bar.

The resort grounds are beautiful: well maintained and very clean. The sand on the beaches was pristine. Many reviews seemed concerned about seaweed, but compared to a California coast there was none. The process for checking out a kayak or tiny sailboat was easy. Customer service at the resort was top notch. I would recommend bringing about $150 USD in SINGLES so that you can tip.

The rooms was immaculate, very tastefully decorated, and the bed was comfy with no problems getting clean linens everyday. The mini bar was restocked without us asking, and the room service deliveries were always spot on.

The food was better quality than I expected, but it's not 5-star. I would compare it to eating at a Hometown Buffet or Golden Corral in the US. We found the grill on the patio was actually the best, and the Mexican restaurant was the absolute WORST. I have to call them out on this, because I can literally get a better tasting taco from a roach coach on the streets of LA. Cali Mexican food is more authentic. I don't know if they dumb it down for all their international guests, but we were very disappointed in this aspect. We saved the Mexican restaurant for last hoping it would be amazing...

The only other con is that the drinks are very clearly watered down. It wasn't too bad, we understand they are trying to prevent people from becoming belligerent and rowdy (and also push the alcohol they have on sale at the convenience store and restaurant). But it would be nice to have a well mixed margarita at the pool if you clearly aren't drinking to get wasted.

The resort is a 30 minute drive to Cancun, so it's not a convenient location if you plan on partying in the city every night. It is very quiet location and on gated grounds, so your security is not an issue. A relaxing vacation overall!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank copy_that

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,232)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went there last year and went back at the end of Sept.
We are in our 60's and they put us in the back of the resort.
I asked to be moved and they moved us to building number 1.
This was close to everything and our back door on the 3rd floor had an ocean view. Our patio overlooked the pool.
This year they added steak to the outdoor restaurant. The t-bone and ribeye were very good.
The staff was friendly and the room was great. We tip our maid at the first of the week and she would come by 3 times a day to make sure we were taken care of.
One problem was the people eating the romantic dinner on the beach were eaten alive by bugs.
The bugs must have made it to the outdoor restaurant,when we got home we broke out with red dots that itched. Take some bug spray. You may not see them but you will feel them later.
We did not upgrade to anything and had no problems.
Maybe not a 6 star but no complaints

Room Tip: Ask for building1,2,or 3 close to everthing
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rabbit62
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed for two weeks at the Now Sapphire Resort.(Oct.2012)
Now Sapphire is truly a beautiful
and refined resort with dense vegetation to be enjoyed.
Lots of plants, flowers and trees lined the pathways.

Our room, was in the Prefer Club, facing the ocean. It was a large suite,
with all the amenities one could need. The view was amazing. The
housekeeping was fantastic.

The beach had soft white sand and it was so peaceful to relax under a palapa.
The Prefer guests have their reserved section with palapas. The ocean breeze
was welcome and kept us cool.

The big pool was lively and fun and large enough to be in or away from pool
games and bar. If you wanted real peace and quiet, the Preferred guest pool
with bar, provided a peaceful environment.

The restaurants are all amazing especially and the a la carte Paramour.
It is a very elegant adult only restaurant. It was our favorite. The menu is
gourmet french cuisine. The Sea Blue grill had very good fish and chips
for lunch and great steaks at dinner.
We did enjoy our meal everywhere and the service was excellent.

It was our second time at the Now Sapphire and it will not be our last
We had a great vacation, and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a peaceful and relaxing resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Leonardito C
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Now Sapphire would really be a great place to stay if you like cold food. We stayed in building 12. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable that I have ever slept in. The staff is very nice and helpful. The grounds are well taken care of. The food at the buffet was almost always cold. We tried going at different times to see if it would make a difference. It did not. We ate at the Cibu and the steak was hot and delicious. If you can eat the the speciality restaurants you will be ok. I am a meat and potatoe person so the speciality restaurants do not thrill me.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 and 2 are oceanfront and close to everything. Buildings 13 and 12 are tropical view and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wildamps
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

FUN TIME BUT IT IS NOT A 5 STAR IN MY OPINION, MORE LIKE A 4 STAR.

Negatives:

DON'T BUY INTERNET IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON USING IT IN YOUR ROOMS: When we purchased the card the front desk lady said it is good in rooms but not as strong as in the common lobby. There is NO ACCESS IN ROOMS. When I went to ask for a refund the next day the man sort of laughed, said something in spanish and then more or less told me I was lying. We even left this in the "comment book" when we checked out although I am sure nothing was done as his attitude toward me made it feel like I wasn't the first one. When we checked out the lady gave us 3 days refund for the 5 day card we bought. She did it relunctantly and first said "I will give you a refund for 1 day only" My husband stressed 3 days, the other two day charge we would pay because we didn't notify them right away. She was way nicer than the other guy but she wasn't what you would expect at a 5 star resort.

TIME SHARE BEWARE: He was as pushy as you would imagine and got really frustrated with us in the end when we didn't buy. He walked away from the table. We got a $250 spa gift card though for listening to him so at the end of the day his pushiness was worth it because it rained the day we used it! :) Decide for yourself but know you are in for aggressive sales.

BUFFET: Always had a seat without a wait and servers were great and work nonstop. Food was very repetitive. Nothing great. In fact we had better buffet food in Cuba when we went the year prior.

DON'T GET A ROOM ON THE MAIN FLOOR: A lot of ants on our balcony. Housekeeping had to spray it at least twice. Rooms were scummy. I found a cockroach in the bathroom when I got up at night . Most disgusting this I have ever seen. IT WAS HUGE TOO! Luckily I found it on our last night. Thanks to the internet fiasco I forgot to mention it to the front desk person.

POSITIVES:

The shuttle from the airport was very prompt, which we loved. The conceirge and welcome advisor was great and very thorough. Our bags were in our rooms before we got there.

RESTAURANTS: A la carte restaurants were fantastic with EXCELLENT service. There is no limit to the number of times you can book and you don't have to pick your time slot ahead of time. Most of the time we could walk down and get a table. If there was a wait we just got a drink at the bar. Italian restaurants had the nicest servers!

POOL IS AWESOME: It is huge which is great! Lots of lounge chairs, lots of open spaces. Great swim up bar. Awesome pool side service.

BEACH WAS BEAUTIFUL: Crystal clear water. The only downside was the wind which pushed up a lot of seaweed, but they were on it every morning. Nothing you can do to control the weather

After 10 days we were anxious to get back. I don't think we would go back. Our photos looked great and friends said they were interested in booking but we told them our experience and I think they ended up going somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BRB_On_Vacation
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent a week at this resort in late July. We upgraded to the "preferred" and both of us were happy we did. (If a resort offers an upgrade, i kinda have to go with it; otherwise i drive myself crazy wondering what i might be missing lol) I certainly dont think it's necessary, it's just my personal preference. Check in was a breeze, the first room we were given (in building 3) had a number of issues- the phones didnt work, the ice maker was broken, tv remote didnt work,etc so we ended up in a 3rd story suite in building 1. It's central to everything~lobby,beach,preferred lounge,preferred pool,restaurants. There was only one night where we could hear the "thump-thump" of the music, noise was not a problem. Our room was wonderful, the bed was heavenly...top of the line. Housekeeping was great, they seemed to catch on to our schedule after a day or 2 and got in and out of our room without running into us. Room service was outstanding~ never had to wait longer than we were told when placing the order. the only complaint i have ( and this applies to both rooms we occupied) is the water pressure. It was literally so low that I had to unscrew the shower head in order to wash my hair. I do love a nice shower so this was a bummer, but hey, no place is perfect. The Mexican restaurant was really really awful- skip it,trust me. The buffet was always good, but our favorite was the Bluewater Grill. Great steaks, shrimp cocktails, pork tacos and dont leave without trying their sticky wings-my boyfriend almost tears up when we talk about them to this day! Luis at the preferred pool was OUTSTANDING, it's always "shot o'clock" when he's on duty. He really made our trip memorable. Being able to reserve a Bali bed each day made upgrading worth it in itself. The staff at this resort go out of their way to make you feel pampered, every request is met with a "My Pleasure". I felt like a princess! How could you NOT tip these wonderful people?
This was my 6th a.i. trip to Mexico, up until now, the Ocean Coral & Turquesa next door was my favorite, but i honestly gotta say the Now Sapphire is even better. They have live music in the lobby each night, which we really enjoyed. I caught the tail end of the Michael Jackson show and it was amazing! We are headed back November 26 to get married if that tells you anything! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions~i'm happy to help!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kgelarden
Lake Villa, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed first week of November. Had a very relaxing vacation at Now, would highly recommend. Room was on third floor away from pool and lobby, but was a nice walk before and after eating some great food and enjoying unlimited beverages. Beach was nice, the water was warmer than the pool, but because of jellyfish warnings decided we would sit by the pool. Made friends the first day with our pool waiter Luiz and received oustanding service. When we were finishing a drink he would be there with the next one! This is an all-inclusive, but please be sure to tip good service. They really try to do whatever a person may request as quickly as possible and in a friendly manner.

Ate just a couple meals at the buffet and the food was good. Would recommend all restaurants except Cibu. Waited 2 hours for a table and the restaurant was not full. Only a couple of waiters and the service was extremely slow! Other people who came in literally walked out after a time. Hoping this may just have been an off night. We had great service everywhere else and were never rushed. Truly a relaxing and enjoyable vacation!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,825 reviews
Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!