“Pretty Good Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Pretty Good Vacation”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is my 7th time to the Riviera Maya area. This is my first stay at the Now Sapphire. I will start with all the good things. The food was good. The restaurants had nice choices. Paramour, the French Restaurant was fine dining and the service was wonderful. Cibu had great choices also.
BlueWater Grill outside dining had very good grilled steaks. I thought through experience that the Buffet was a tad small compared to others, but still offered good selections for Breakfast. Service & Staff were very helpful & friendly. We had a Preferred Club room overlooking the Gulf which was very nice. Rooms are clean & towels plentiful. The Preferred Club Pool with Bali Beds for Adults only was a total plus !! Lounge in the Preferred Club section was always cool & relaxing whether you are checking emails, having a cocktail or just chilling.
Now for the down side. The drinks are watered down more then I have experienced in other properties. This is a fact. They also state that the Preferred Club Rooms have an upgraded Mini-Bar. This is what you get One time & One time only. 3 airplane size bottles of liquor, soda, 2 juice & 2 beers & water. We had to call for bottled water 3 times before it came. So I would not consider this an upgrade in the least. Just be aware of this if going for the Preferred. I did have a very good time here. That being said, next time I will try another Resort or Revisit some of the others that were a little more satisfactory to me.

Room Tip: With this Property, if possible, book into the Preferred Section. With a few minor set backs, it was...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveldak
, Social Media at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for choosing Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun for your recent stay and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. All of the remarks are shared with staff in order to improve our service.

We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you in the near future!

Kind regards

ORV
Social Media

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,391)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We just returned from a 5-day trip to NOW Sapphire, and here's some things I'll share about my trip if you're considering staying here:

1) It's not nearly as far from the airport as we thought... We arrived by shuttle in 15 minutes! We anticipated a 30-45 minute drive, but this wasn't the case... So that's cool.

2) The Preferred package is definitely worth it. You get to reserve cabanas at the adults-only pool and down on the beach. While there are plenty of spots on the beach, it was super nice knowing that you didn't have to wander up and down the property looking for 2+ benches to lay down on... Book the preferred package in advance -- NOT at the hotel though, it's cheaper when you pre-pay online.

3) Be prepared for a sales pitch on the first day. Once you check in, they'll hunt you down to recommend you go to their sister property Dreams (two resorts south). This isn't a time share pitch, but rather a "discount on all future vacations" pitch that is INCREDIBLY and RIDICULOUSLY pushy. They claim it takes 90 minutes, but you will absolutely be there twice that long. It's pointless unless you're retired and have nothing to do but travel every month. So spare yourself the agony of the pitch, and politely (but firmly) tell the rep "NO!" when she asks. Even when I told her I wasn't interested, she called my room the next day to ask if I had changed my mind. I really wanted to slap her, especially since she lied and said the trip to Dreams "wouldn't be a sales pitch" -- I'm not positive on this, but I believe her name is Dani?

4) The BEST employee on the restort is a man named Israel. He runs the Adult Pool and you can find him at the Reef Bar. I can't express to you how popular he is amongst the guests. He is funny, genuine, speaks excellent English, and truly goes out of his way to make you comfortable. His colleague Cesar was delightful as well. Cesar will routinely bring you drinks, sometimes without even having to ask. These two guys really made our trip special.

5) The Market Buffet is surprisingly good 80% of the time. I say "80%" because there were some meals that were a bit off -- likely because of shift changes? But for the most part, it's a surprising good buffet for lunch and dinner.

6) Paramor is the French restaurant and it was tasty. Cibu, the Mediterranean restaurant, was outstanding. The Bluewater grill sucks for lunch. Birds and iguanas beg for food, it's painfully slow because so many people want to eat outside close to the beach at lunch time, and the food is gross here.... While I didn't eat there for dinner, many guests we spoke to said its MUCH better at night.

7) Lemongrass is the Asian restaurant. Believe it or not, the sushi is perfectly safe! I was extremely reluctant at first (because I'm a sushi snob), but it was actually pretty good. I would go back every night if they'd let me! On the other side is the Hibachi restaurant... Let me warn you -- SUPER SLOW. We were the first table seated at 6:00pm and didn't finish until 7:40pm. So if you're going to go here, prepare to waaaaait. BTW, it's decent, but nothing spectacular in terms of hibachi.

8) My least favorite waiter in the buffet was Vincente. We had him 4-5 times and we swear the guy is drugged up on something... the kid was out of it every time. Our favorite waiter in the buffet area was Sergio. He was the most attentive to our needs and was always happy to refill our drinks promptly.

9) One thing that you should know is that pesos aren't necessary. Bring about $10 worth of one dollar bills (US) for each day of your trip. While tipping isn't necessary, the employees will definitely give you better service if you tip them. I gave a drink-waiter at the lobby bar 20 pesos (about $1.75 US) and he snubbed me the rest of the evening. They want US dollars... I got a kick out of it actually, because he went out of his way to ignore us the rest of the night after tipping in pesos.

10) If you think NOW Jade is within walking distance, think again. We assumed it was next door and would be able to walk right up and compare... Boy, were we wrong. We walked down the beach past several resorts, even to the point were there weren't any more hotels (just condos) and we still never found it.

11) The water is safe to shower in and brush your teeth with... So don't fear that at this resort. Honestly, this might be "TMI" but we didn't have any digestive issues the entire week.

12) There were very few kids at this resort... We don't like being around children when we're on vacation -- and while this place does technically allow kids, I only saw a few. So if you're looking for an "adults only" resort, this place is about 95% adults.

Room Tip: Take this for what it's worth... but before booking this place we weren't sure whether or no...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Adam I
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in April 2011. It was a great experience. The only issue really was the amount of alcohol put in the drinks was lacking. After the first day I stuck to wine and my husband drank beer. The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were well kept with beautiful landscaping. They had a separate pool for kids which was nice when you are sans children. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. Also they have catamarans and kayaks you can use for no charge. Good times!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Brookmoore71
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback that you posted on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our guest´s feedback allows us to constantly monitor our service levels and make necessary improvements.

Once again thank you for choosing to visit us, and we hope you plan to visit us again in the near future.

Cordially yours

ORV
Social Media
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Please think twice about staying here. The rooms are nice, the service is friendly and the food is mediocre. I was there with my wife for a wedding. We were there for 3 nights and we got bed bugs. It's disgusting and now we have to throw away clothes, bedding and furniture.
I have stayed all over Mexico, and most of the places I've stayed in are cheaper and smaller than Now Sapphire. $1,000 for 3 days and bed bugs was not worth it.
Until we discovered the bed bugs I would have given the resort a 3 or 4 rating. However bed bugs are a huge fail. It ruined an otherwise awesome trip.
Also be careful of the people that work there that are trying to sell you on going to their other location for a free breakfast and a tour. It is a time share presentation that will last a few hours. I knew this ahead of time so I did not go, but the guy called my room every 15 minutes for 2 hours starting at 7:30 in the morning. The wife was not too happy.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that doesn't have bed bugs.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Mark187_12
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This resort was booked through Apple vacations with round trip transportation to/from resort included in price.

Arrival: You are greeted with a cold cloth and a refreshing lemony juice beverage. That was awesome considering you have most likely been travelling all day. Check in was a breeze. If you get there early, I recommend either A) putting a swim suit in your carry on with sunscreen. B) put it on the top of your checked luggage so you can easily get to it. You may need to kill a few hours before you check in. Don't worry, your bag will be tagged and set aside and watched over by the bell boy. Very efficient.

Room: Cool blast of air from the excellent AC. Comfortable beds (bring your own pillow if you are picky like me). Mini bar stocked with water, beer, and soda. You can ask for whatever you want. I just wanted tons of water as I drink it constantly and brush my teeth with it. Don't forget and brush your teeth with the local water. I had no view because I chose the bargain price room I did NOT care. I wasn't there to watch TV. Which by the way is a nice flat screen with a couple of English channels and English subtitles. I did not order room service so I cannot say. Excellent, clean and comfortable rooms!

Bars/Restaurants: The pool bar is a blast and the guys there make it fun. They are hopping all day long, just be patient and they will get to you. They are good at hitting everyone.

The lobby bar was probably my favorite chill spot especially at night. It is open air and when that breeze hits you while you are listening to some smooth music and enjoying a stiff drink, you know you are on vacation. Claudia was one of the best and most attentive people I've ever met. She is fun and friendly and will make you feel welcome. Tip her!

The Bluewater grill is just that, a casual grill restaurant. It was also my favorite. It's open for lunch every day and open randomly for dinner. I recommend the steak burrito wrap for lunch and the ribeye steak for dinner. It's awesome!

The Hibachi was above average but can get very warm, just as a caution. I did not try the French restaurant but you will need long pants and closed shoes. The Mexican restaurant was very good and again was above average. The same with the Mediterranean place. Never had anything that I would say is poor, just some better than others. The buffet was above average as well. I am not a breakfast eater, but the omelets were great and there was a variety of rolls and pastries as well as good tasting meats.

It is safe to drink the water they pour in the glasses. It's the same water as bottled, it's just out of the big Polar type dispenser.

Beach: Very relaxing beach with volleyball and a bar with a server if you choose to just lounge and order a drink. The beach is well maintained considering the reef is right there and a ton of seaweed washes in. Just get used to it, it's not going to hurt you. Go on a snorkeling excursion if you want to see the 'bluer" water and swim around. I did a catamaran trip all day trip that was awesome!

Pool: This was my favorite thing aside from the lobby bar. The biggest pool I have ever seen that wraps around the entire outside of the lobby and restaurant area. It's extremely clean and blue. Easy access to the pool bar and lobby. Also, they play "fun" music and get you going. If you want to chill, there is plenty of space away from all of the noise.

I have determined from a few trips that you are just going to have to get used to eating foods that you wouldn't normally eat. Yes, your stomach might get mad at you. Take pepto and antacids with you. It depends on the person. I did not get sick at all, but then again, I am not used to boozing and eating a ton of food all day!

I loved this place and would recommend all day long.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Clint33
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Like many others, I use Trip Advisor in an attempt to gain as much insight into resorts as I can when planning a vacation. Hey, if I'm spending thousands of dollars on a family of 4 to travel, I want to be sure there are minimal surprises when I get there. That being said, I have to say that my family and I were very happy with our summer vacation to Now Sapphire. Was it the best.....no, but it is far from some of the negative reviews I have read on tihs site.

we booked through Apple vacations and could not be happier with that choice as everything was taken care for us. Direct flight into a remodeled Cancun airpoort from the last time we were there, direct transferrs to the resort only 15-20 minutes away, as well as an Apple rep onsite to assist in any other day excursions.

we arrived at Now Sapphire around 1:00 and to our surprise, our rooms were ready already. Since we had a 19 and 14 year old with us we had to get to 2 rooms. we requested tehy be next to each other and they were. After they gave us our keys and map of the hotel, a Now Sapphire attendant took us to the lobby bar, asked if we wanted a drink to start our vacation (yes) and he sat us down and went over the entire map and informed us of other properties where we could get free lunch/dinners/activities. we told him we were not interested and he dropped it from there. No hard sell on time-shares.......

after our meeting, our luggage was loaded in a golf cart and all 4 of us got in and went to building #2, which is very close to pools and all restaraunts. the attendant took all bags upstairs and seemed very appreciative of the tip I gave him ($5)

the ocean front rooms are absolutely worth the additional cost if you can swing it. Very nice rooms only feet from the Caribbean with a jacuzzi on the patio.....beautiful.

my kids let their door slam and could not open it from the inside. we tried to use the extra key to get in from the outside and could not do it either, so.....our kids were basically locked in their room!!!!! We called the front desk and a maintenance man was there in less than 3 minutes and got the door opened. This was our experience with all employees at the resort who were all very attentive and made our week long vacation a very pleasant one.

as many have mentioned the main pool was beautiful and huge. The swim up bar can be a wait at times, but hey, you are in the sun in Mexico at an all-inclusive, what do you expect. The drinks were well poured and they did not skimp on the alchohol. The resort staff had activities at the pool (zumba, bingo, football toss....) and one played DJ most of the day.

The beach was very, very nice and we did not have any issues getting chairs there or at the pool and we were not preferred guests. There was some seaweed on the beach but the machine made numerous passes each day and kept it mostly cleared. it was not perfect, but the water was certainly able to get into and swim around or gather waist deep with a cold drink and talk to friends/family. There is also a bar directly on the beach that was never crowded.

as for the restaraunts, we did not go to Paramour as you have to be 18 and we had a 14 year old but ate breakfast at the Buffet every morning and most lunches and found the food to be very good.......not Vegas Buffet's but good enough. There can be a wait at the Blue Water Grill for lunch as it is smaller and on a patio on the water, but the food there was very good as well. Went to Cibu one night and had a bit of a wait for our food to arrive and while my daughter and my food was not very good, my son and wife got there steak and liked it. Went to the Asian (Lemon Grass) one evening and the food there was above average.

The one thing I will say is that air conditioning in the restaraunts was non-existent (buffet) to very minimal (Cibu and Lemon Grass). So much that my wife and I were literally dripping sweat during our dinner at Lemon Grass. They open the windows at the Buffet and the sea breezes made it somewhat bearable, but i would have preferred AC to make my dinners more enjoyable. When I look at the architecture and see ceilings that (in the buffet) rise 30 feet or more, I can see why AC may be a challenge

also the AC in our room never got colder than 23 degrees Celcius, which is about 73/74 Fahrenheit. not bad when you come in from a day at the beach or pool, but at 2:00am, it got a bit warm. Again that was about the only complaint we had with this place

Ok, after dinner entertainment was somewhat cheesy and kind of lame, but the circus night entertainment was very enjoyable with some very talented performers. My wife and I enjoyed grabbing a drink from the lobby bar and sitting on a couch in the open air lobby and take in the Carribbean sea breezes. We were up every morning by 7:00, so we typically turn in around 10 or 11, but they do have a "disco" that remained opened until 1:00am

we did a excursion with Apple when we arrived there to Xel-Ha, which is a eco-friendly water park and snorkeled for about 6 hours. Very nice place that a bus took us to (about 1 hour 15 minutes away) and was also all-inclusive. they have zip-line for the kids, swim with dolphins (extra charge), cliff diving, and 3 separate restaraunts.

all in all, this was a fantastic vacation and a wonderful resort. The very negative reviews must be from people who are never satisfied with anywhere they stay or have an ax to grind, as everyone we spoke with had a great time

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank IrishJim50
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I returned from the Now Saphire on 6/23 after a 7 day stay. THis is my 8th trip to the Riviera Maya and while the Now Saphire was OK it wasn't 6 Apple and does not deserve this rating. I'm not one to complain much and this is the first time in 8 trips that I've written a review of any kind. The resort is aesthically very nice, rooms were clean and pool is beautiful, the food is very typical for all inclusives. But the lack of service left me with a bad taste in my mouth. How can a 6 Apple resort with 7 restaurants have as many as 3 of those restaurants closed every evening. Part of our party waited nearly 2 hours to be seated one evening at the Lemongrass Asian restaurant. Friday since it was raining my wife and I called for room service for breakfast and were told that the "24 hour" room service was not working that day because people were busy. No other explanation although I assumed it was the rain that were keeping all those folks so busy they couldn't wait on their paying customers. There is no way, in my estimation that this resort rates Apple's highest rating, the service just isn't there. In fact I've stayed at a resort rated only 4 Apple's and gotten much better service. It's a nice resort and it is all inclusive, but if you're expecting great service from a highly rated resort, go elsewhere.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!