“Organised, Experienced, Friendly, Fun and Safe Diving in Riviera Maya”
Review of Buceo Xtabay

Buceo Xtabay
Ranked #2 of 41 Tours in Puerto Morelos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: SCUBA DIVING REEFS, SHIPWRECK, CENOTES, SNORKEL WITH WHALE SHARK. We are a new company in the Riviera Maya diving market, however we have a long history in the dive goes back to the 70's. NAUI Instructor I (16.728) and very proud to belong to this association of divers, the best in the world. Since 1982, I teach and organize scuba diving trips in Mexico and abroad. This space is open to get in touch with all those interested in scuba diving and sports as well as scientific diving. We offer: diving and snorkeling in coral reefs, cenotes, diving in wrecks, snorkeling with whale sharks, and sailfish. We offer diving courses in all the levels. We have our own boats and trucks to transport our divers. We provide personal attention as we prefer the groups where we can address them directly. We help you schedule all your stay, offering various activities combined with Mexico's history, archaeological sites, gastronomy, legends, walking in the forest, national park of Contoy Island.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Luz Maria and Francisco - Thanks for some fantastic diving trips - we hope we can join you again sometime!

With only a one week holiday we wanted to make sure we had some experienced guides who would take us to the best dive sites and give us as much time in the water as possible. We are experienced divers and researched the dive operators from Cancun to Playa – but all reviews had some major problem or other that we felt would just waste our time and money.

Then we read the BuceoXtabay reviews...!

We emailed BuceoXtabay and joined Luz Ma for four days and had seven fabulous dives in the sea off Puerto Morelos and in the Cenotes that she chose for us.

Luz Ma and Francisco met us at our hotel every morning exactly on time and took us in their minibus to the day's dive site. On our first day we had arranged to meet Luz Ma at reception at 8.00am and she took us to Puerto Morelos to her boat - twin outboards with small canopy - Francisco her husband is the captain. We cruised slowly across the reef to dive the wreck Juan Escutia. We were there early to be first on the site - perfect timing as we saw 8 eagle rays and huge schools of fish all round the wreck which was a pretty good itself.

On the following days they took us to dive our first Cenotes dives - caverns and caves with the most extraordinary crystal clear water with shimmering ultramarine light from above, limestone stalactites, stalagmites and incredible rock formations. We've been diving for many years but have never seen anything like this - diving the Cenotes is something every diver should do - you will not be disappointed! We dived the following Cenotes; Kin Ha, Chac Mool, Kukulkan and Dos Ojos. Look for them on Luz Ma’s website, on the web and on YouTube.

Luz Ma gave a detailed briefing on how we would do each dive, time, depth, water temperature, viz, air consumption and how to terminate the dive safely if any problem arose - this is important as many of the spaces in the caves are fairly tight - especially if you've never dived caves/caverns before.

Francisco took care of the surface cover, the tanks, equipment and took lots of photos. Francisco also prepared the lunches, some interesting fruit we’d never seen or tasted before and his own ceviche with freshly landed mackerel – all of which was delicious!

All of the reviews on this site appear to be correct – they are knowledgeable, expert, friendly – we both felt we’d known them for years. Luz Ma told us of the history and geology of the Yucatan peninsula how the Cenotes developed, cultural history, biology and environment - all in the most interesting way that you just wouldn't get anywhere else.

Luz Ma and Francisco - THANKS for looking after us, for all of the photographs you have emailed, for feeding us, lending a mask, BCD, torches and hoods as well as leaving us many messages on the phone at our hotel!!

The diving experience you gave us was exceptional and something we will always remember and something we really enjoyed and appreciated.

As you can see from the other reviews Luz Ma can take care of most other tours you might want to do - get in touch and I'm sure she will make sure you have a very good time!

We travelled from the UK with Thomson and stayed at the Excellence Riviera which was excellent.

2  Thank Maggles m

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I took the Whale Sharks trip with Luz Maria and some friends this August and it was a one in a lifetime experience. Luz Maria and her staff took us two hours away in open ocean to swim with whale sharks. They are knowledgeable, caring professionals who made sure we swam and experience these wonderful sea creatures. The trip included Lunch, sightseeing and swimming at a wonderful beach in Isla Mujeres. I highly recommend Luz Maria and her Xtabay staff for this type of adventure...it was 100% amazing and worth the trip!!!

1  Thank MariaMechi
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Luz Maria took me on a wonderful diving adventure. I had the pleasure of diving one-on-one with Luz Maria. Not only was she an excellent dive guide - she was a great tour guide as well!
She shared a lot of the history of the area between dives; as well as savory homemade sandwiches.

Our first dive was a wreck dive. Luz carefully reviewed my dive history and took me through the wreck, my first time inside a shipwreck. She also took over 300 pictures of my dive trip including close-ups of features and marine life along our dive that she emailed to me later.
This freed me to really enjoy the sights and experience and still have wonderful photos later.

Luz Maria, thank you for a wonderful dive experience! Look forward to diving with you again!

2  Thank tcraigdunn
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went with Luz Maria and Pancho to snorkel with the whale sharks, and it was one of THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCES of my life! I loved every second of being in the water with those beautiful fish! If you try this, you have to go with Buceo Xtabay! They are the most professional, friendly, expert guides who have years of knowledge and love for diving and all water activities. You can see the passion they have for what they do! I really enjoyed their hospitality as well, we were given drinks, delicious fresh ceviche, fruit and sandwiches. Also, Luz Maria sent me underwater photos of the trip the same day to my email! It was a fantastic experience, I will be using them again and again. Thank you Luz Maria and Pancho! Unforgettable!!!

2  Thank Amber C
Reviewed September 16, 2012

All of the previous reviews are 100% correct. This tour was the highlight of our Cancun trip. Maria and Francisco are wonderful hosts, Maria is a marine biologist so knows her stuff and the trip was absolutely fabulous. Their boat is smaller so it is a much more intimate tour and you get a lot more time in the water with the magical creatures. And Francisco's ceviche IS absolutely AMAZING. I literally ate most of the tub myself! Another great thing was that Maria even took underwater photos of us with the sharks and emailed them to us for free, which was a lovely added bonus as so many other tours in Cancun are basically shoving expensive souvenir photographs down your throats. This tour was a once in a lifetime and I highly recommend it.

4  Thank kate3346